• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

This!
I admit to watching a slew of reaction videos randomly all at once every few months but damn they are fake 99% of the time.

Also causal racism/sexism/REALLY creepy as shit people do and no one calling them out. Particularly living in Japan and having to see these "how to pick up Japanese girls" "Do Japanese girl like foreigners" "dating a Jap girl" and so on -shudder- these videos are goddamn plague but every foreigner/group based in Japan with a youtube account seems not be able to help them self but make these videos and they are all creepy as fuck. Even worse is if one pops up on the play list youtube keeps fucking recommending them. -watches video of a dudes opinion about an incident in Japan, next video ques up on auto play because its his most watched, video is 10 minutes of him going up to random girls and school girls in the street asking them plainly if they like black men-

common with this shit.

Also asking to like and sub before the video plays.

ALSO ALSO having some long ass dubstep backed intro. 5-10 second only people. Or just have the title of your channel. Or a quick line or two about what the topic will be. Kind knowing you can click a 8 minute video, instantly hit that 1 minute 35 mark and THEN the actual content starts is insane to me.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything.

I mean, there are some I really like. A few. But most people on YouTube I can't stand.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're always acting happy and super excited. Try watching a gameplay walkthrough with one of these guys and it's like they've never played a game before. They act surprised/shocked at everything.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
1. "Hey Guis, today I'm going too....."

I'm looking at a how-to-do videos. Not your fucking face.

2. Any sort of review or walkthrough where.... I'm looking at your fucking face and not the movie, trailers, highlights, etc.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
"Click and subscribe below!"

"I use XXX products..It's so good!"

Fucking clickbait title...i will unsubscribe to a channel once it went full retard aka clickbait.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
"whhhhhhhaaaaaats up guys (insert name) here!

Like why are you telling us it is you, are we not on your youtube channel already?

Super colorful thumbnails with the Youtuber making some dumb face in it also annoy me.

That'll make it so I never watch your videos because I'll just assume that you're gonna be fake excited and annoying
ad6VRA8ET_QRSFx5EhS-GsBvBJqPvFHpXCnBi237bv6BoTHD4TYIx9BBf8bZCBH66pPw1MoGkJkYaD9JDnSn9Lm8d4-hmFYB3tlh7j56wZ2Rt2pynb8ZSslEOe6Nw-EUvnC7pD6e

main-qimg-92c79c35bd4dba56c571127c2ce87f50-c

l0mFv5N.jpg

All of that ^

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
something new that happened to me recently that annoyed me:

not posting anything for years and then suddenly changing your name and posting dozens of videos about something completely different

I have youtube videos go directly to a special folder in my email and that caused me quite a bit of confusion

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Non-disclosure advertisements.

A lot of german youtubers do it, especially when its about beauty products.
"I just went to that store and saw it by accident! Its super great to use it!"

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Act the same. Every channel I watch is the exact same now a days and it is very, very boring.

Gamexplain does what I like best from the gaming discussion realm, and every other gaming/nintendo news/discussion channel just doesn't do it as well as they do yet they mimic everything they do.
Trisha Paytas originated the click-bait/crazy story time, and now everyone who does it is not as entertaining and they feel unauthentic

Most youtubers i watch now act like someone who is already famous and it's not as quality as the original and they come off unauthentic

I want more unique channels with interesting ways of talking, entertaining, and informing that is authentic to themselves. Dunkey, Etika, Trisha, Gamexplain are some of my favorites, they just feel original and authentically themselves

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"whhhhhhhaaaaaats up guys (insert name) here!

Like why are you telling us it is you, are we not on your youtube channel already?

If you have autoplay on it might take you to a recommended video. Having them introduce themselves right at the start gives you the benefit of stopping what you're doing, tabbing over to the video and X'ing it out before you have to hear too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Since we've mentioned all the horrible Youtubers and then some, I'd just instead mention one YTber who does pretty much everything right... Which is direct result of his huge success as a YTber.

Doug DeMuro

Things he does that are against the annoyance everyone here hates.

1) His videos start off without an intro ( as cold opens if you will) He doesn't even introduce himself, but he does introduce the car he is about to talk about for the next 10-15 minutes.

So literally the first second into the video you'd hear him say "This is the new Porsche 911 Turbo...And this is why it cost X amount of dollars, etc."

2) His "Intro" (comes on after his cold open) is literally a white text on a black backdrop and it is on screen no longer than 2.5 seconds, he kills two birds with ten stones with this intro by introducing his name and twitter etc. (The text scrolls from screen left to right, giving the viewer a little playful, "cheesy" vibe, as in 'I am here on a shoestring budget for the fun of these cars, please don't take this car review too seriously') Also there's a subtle sound fx, but no annoying, loud, obnoxious music.

3) most importantly you will never hear him beg for Subs or Likes , he'll never mention any of that, but he will plug his Autotrader articles in the Autotrader website etc.

4) Doug also is a true believer of under promising and over delivering, for example: You'll never hear him say anything about his "Upcoming videos" He'll never talk about his grandiose future plans, "what he has in store" He'll never hype anything, he may reference hsi past episodes here and there, but other than that he'll never even address his subscribers/viewers in his videos, he does his video presentations as if he was on TV and was addressing a mass audience and not just his youtube audience.

Last edited:

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
if it's one of those big youtubers, or you're trying to replicate that blueprint, then the answer is probably everything.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The extremely blatant "sponsored videos." I don't hate on youtubers for accepting those deals and making money, but you can tell when they're not actually into or use the product they're plugging.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
When they speak as if they're some sort of expert but only have, like, ten videos. Like, it makes me want to see more of your stuff but if you don't HAVE more stuff, it just feels like I've been trick'd. I admit this is unfair as everyone has to start somewhere, including smart people, but it's just... so odd all the smart people seem to have maybe one video for every 100 the howlerbeast youtubers put out.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Most of these complaints aren't in the Youtuber's videos that I watch so none of these really bother me as I don't see them often.

But something that shows up a lot in Youtuber's I watch is those damn cartoon avatars. I hate them so much. They are not charming, they look quickly anf hastily done and they look really generic when plastered over every video/video thumbnail.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thumbnails, the thread.

If you have an annoying thumbnail or a clickbait title, chances are I won't like your video.

Linus Tech Tips is the only exception because at least he's upfront about it.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
"What's up everyone. It's yo boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....."

Jump cuts. I exit out of any vids that abuse this.

I don't bother clicking on click bait titles.

Guides or tutorials that uses robotic voices for whatever reason.

Talking about their current life situation in non-vlogs. Make a separate video.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Don't forget to like, comment, or subscribe.

Motherfuckers.

If I like your shit, I will do one or all of the above anyway because I want to see more of it. If I don't care for what you've put out, I will not. End of.

Photoshopped weird faces in thumbnails. I won't click on these. Ever.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That thing where they suddenly get angry as the camera shakes wildly and slowly turns red. Why are we still doing that

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah as mentioned many times in this thread, the exaggerated faces in the thumbnails and the "like, comment, subscribe" comments in the video can be grating.

The former for just how obnoxious and over the top the expressions are for attracting viewers, and the latter for telling me what I already will or wont do based on the quality of the video and the channel. Just let the content speak for itself.

Two things when creating my channel that I made a mental note to avoid.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Video footage slowly zooms in on someone's stunned reaction or when someone's making a low key joke or doing a bit.

They're not even zooming with the camera lens, they're just doing it in post and it looks like shit.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Acting like a man-child which seems to be 80% of the popular YouTube and Twitch personalities these days. It gets them money, I get it. Though it's still annoying since they're everywhere on those sites.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bodybuilder channels where they encourage you with motivational phrases and "you can have this gainzz too" when they are obviously on gear.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
When they after years of your devotion, casually say "Political correctness and the left are destroying society".

RLM have saved my life by offering me so much entertainment and needed comfort when I felt completely lost and apathetic, and then you realize half the crew casually drop problematic dog whistles into their videos.

It didn't bother me that much, until I realized what other kinds of fans they had. Suddenly I felt incredibly uncomfortable with their output, and I can't watch it anymore without a gnawing feeling in the back of my head.
Dumped those clowns for Double Toasted, best decision I ever made.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Click-bait thumbnails or video names. Love Maximilliondood but holy shit, he's one of the worst for this. References a small joke he cracks at the end of a 20 minute video as the title of the video? Nah man, that's trash. He knows what he's doing, too.

20-30 second long extravagant channel name intros that are just a waste of time. This is mostly stock intros with reflections and electricity and neon effects for some small 4K subscriber how-to channels, usually.

Poor quality audio or video.

"Like and subscribe"

The "reaction" videos to full episodes of shows or other Youtubers work. Trailers are fine, but entire, unedited full videos from TV, anime or other people's channels? That's just fucking scummy. I hate those channels, they're garbage and usually thieves.

So essentially everything that Kalel Kitten does (Ex of Anthony of Smosh fame).
She is ''breathing since 1989'', folks. Kalel is the epitome of bad examples every single step of the way, and you will never find someone as egocentric as she is. And oh, she also loves defending pedophiles and other deplorable acts of humanity.

And unsurprisingly, people ''hate watch'' her. But its mostly people agreeing with her dumbass views. How i know of her? My ex liked her (And post-break up has more and more became like her, too). So that's why she's my ex, jk.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
My favorite youtuber is Shane Dawson so I apparently have should have no say in what is bothersome or not.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're always acting happy and super excited. Try watching a gameplay walkthrough with one of these guys and it's like they've never played a game before. They act surprised/shocked at everything.

Sounds like my bored totally under hyped play through should be a massive hit, lol.

Just sit there and shut up and play.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The quick cuts.

Can't stand videos like De Franco because of this.

Oh and the yelling and loud noises/voices too.

All quick cuts are not bad tho.

A French youtuber i like explained why he tends to do it in a video recently, with examples and such. Basically, at least for him, it's a combinaison between the need of keeping enough rythm to not bore the viewer and removing useless and annoyings things one can say while speaking, the "hem", "huh" and things like that. Mostly true for those who are not really comfortable speaking in front of a camera.

But in any case, he's far from the worst offenders of the jump cuts and really put work in his videos and has some ethics. I mean, he even asked his viewers permission before considering doing sponsored videos.

OP
OP
Txai

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A French youtuber i like explained why he tends to do it in a video recently, with examples and such. Basically, at least for him, it's a combinaison between the need of keeping enough rythm to not bore the viewer and removing useless and annoyings things one can say while speaking, the "hem", "huh" and things like that. Mostly true for those who are not really comfortable speaking in front of a camera.

It is understandable and might hold more attention than going "hem" and "huh" too often. But it is still very distracting. Better learn to feel more comfortable speaking in front of a camera than relying on a "sweep-under-the-rug" solution forever. Plus it saves time with editing.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It is understandable and might hold more attention than going "hem" and "huh" too often. But it is still very distracting. Better learn to feel more comfortable speaking in front of a camera than relying on a "sweep-under-the-rug" solution forever. Plus it saves time with editing.

He's been doing youtube videos for 9 years now, so i think he's a lost cause on that matter. And he's a perfectionnist, so i don't think he will ever try to gain some time on editing.

And it's probably the case for many others.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Act the same. Every channel I watch is the exact same now a days and it is very, very boring.

Gamexplain does what I like best from the gaming discussion realm, and every other gaming/nintendo news/discussion channel just doesn't do it as well as they do yet they mimic everything they do.
Trisha Paytas originated the click-bait/crazy story time, and now everyone who does it is not as entertaining and they feel unauthentic

Most youtubers i watch now act like someone who is already famous and it's not as quality as the original and they come off unauthentic

I want more unique channels with interesting ways of talking, entertaining, and informing that is authentic to themselves. Dunkey, Etika, Trisha, Gamexplain are some of my favorites, they just feel original and authentically themselves

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the super kind words :)

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
It is really more of a "games humor" thing I guess, because only video game podcasts and streamers/Youtubers do it....but the bits where they "fumble" with coming up with a response or a title. Throwing out a bunch of words and pausing after everyone....The Giant Bomb guys do it all the time, especially Ben. It is not funny. (I realize that's not the best description, but I don't know how else to describe it.)

Example - Jason at the beginning of their new "Mount Your Friends" quick look.

Oct 27, 2017
Clickbait titles and annoying thumbnails. Jump cuts. Almost anything that can be summed up by, "everyone likes _____, but let me tell you why it actually sucks!"

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
-Clickbait thumbnails and titles solely used to mask a lack of substance in a given video
-Asking people to like/share/subscribe as if people need to be reminded
-The lack of disclosure with regards to review copies/codes/promotions/backing a Kickstarter
-Unnecessary jump cuts; cutting out "dead air" is fine but doing so one word after the other is obnoxious
-The fact that its biggest faces are racist/pieces of trash who harm smaller channels such as mine due to the subsequent policies that YouTube enacts while simultaneously receiving no punishment
-"""Reaction""" videos that are just someone silently watching a popular video with nothing to add to the original

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
1.) The first 30 seconds of a video "WHAT'S UP GUYS? I'M TALKING LOUD AND FAST FOR NO GOOD REASON! NOW BEFORE I START THE VIDEO REMEMBER TO LIKE/SUBSCRIBE BLAH BLAH"

2.) Clickbait thumbnails. Dragonball youtubers are especially guilty of this. I immediately block their channel from my settings if I see this.

3.) Long channel intros. No, I don't need a 10 second long intro to your channel.

4.) Gaming youtubers that yell throughout the video in an exaggerated voice. Fits with #1

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The video title is all in capital letters. Don't click on any of those videos on principle.