• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
All the combat is broken for me. There aren't any balance between :
  • Durability
  • Ennemy "scaling" (making them sponge HP pretty quickly)
  • Rewards
I stopped fighting pretty quickly in this game when I discovered it is pretty useless to do.

Rain. My main problem with the game. I have no problem that rain block you from climbing, but that also blocking you to do anything useful in the game. We should be able to make shelter with woods and Korok Leaf. Witht that, be able to rest or cook.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Bump up the weapon durability by 20% and I'm good. Or at least make swords last longer, when I use a sword and it breaks as fast as a stick, that is just weird.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This topic is basically "get rid of things that annoy me" more than what they could improve on the systems already in the game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Combine this with the games open nature and it's one of the most unbalanced games I've ever played.
Yep, that's why I still doesn't understand some GOTG people can put on the game. Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of goods and wonderful, but you can clearly see the game is a patchwork and some sort of big test. They tried a lot (and failed a lot, for me).
I have big, big hopes for the sequel and I think most of it will be about balanced.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree on point 1, I've been playing the last couple months and spending far more time concerning over what weapon to DROP from my overstuffed inventory as I discover something shiny and new every few minutes than I am concerning over them breaking.

Though re: point 2 - playing on Master Mode and the number of enemies(usually gold/silver) that can 1-hit me with a full complement of ~13 hearts is just uncanny. Considering some of my best equipment still demands several attack strings(and a full press to avoid their fast hp regen) and it feels a bit ludicrous.

Also, most alternate attacks(ie. environment attacks like grass fire, or bombs, or red barrels) do jack shit on that difficulty. They lose a bit of hp and then regen instantly. It can help when near water though, but I really feel explosive or environmental damage is tuned WAYYYYY too low on Master Mode. My elaborate plans just aren't often useful or helpful.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Weapon durability! Either enhance the durability of weapons to last longer, or have key items that don't break (example: hookshot if it's in BOTW 2). Or, for high end weapons pay a fee to a blacksmith to make it unbreakable. Or remove weapon durability all together (could go unbalanced, so I think removing weapon durability on key items is fine).

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Assuming that shrines are making a comeback in some form or another I think they need to make them less random. Coming across major tests of strength when you're underpowerd is quite fun imo, but its not worth it when later on you find minor and moderate tests that pose absolutely no challenge cos you are op. The only way I can see of fixing this is that a shrine at a particular location shouldn't have an absolutely defined challenge, what challenge you get should be affected to some degree by how many shrines you have already done (e.g. in combat shrines get minor during your first 20/30 shrines, major in the final 60 shrines). Maybe this impinges on the 'freedom' aspect idk (which I do really enjoy tbf), but I think the developers need to retain at least a little bit of control over when you face certain challenges, because otherwise some of them are just pointless.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
For weapon durability I think there's a few simple fixes that could be made. Allow you to spend materials to repair your weapon before it's broken. Furthermore, there should be a franchise of blacksmiths. You could take a weapon you like to them and have a blueprint drawn up so they can make that particular weapon whenever you want so long as you have the material and rupees. That way you don't really have to tweak the durability levels, but you can still keep your favorite weapons.

One thing I also want is on hard mode make it so you can't eat while stunned. Being able to eat as you're getting knocked out trivializes the difficultly. I feel this is a far better solution than slightly leveled up enemies with regenerating health. Actually it's the regenerating health that kills it for me.

stoff

Oct 27, 2017
The big one:
- Food has to regenerate health over time, instead of instantaneous.

Anything else is just Bonus:
- Weapon Durability has to be decreased, if anything, to reduce inventory management.
- The Bullet Time window should be shorter - more like the parry window. It activates in really weird situations, atm.
- Changing your clothes should only be able in safe zones like villages or fireplaces.
- The Food pouch is much too big. Should maybe also require seeds to be expanded over time.
- The overworld would benefit from more surfaces that cannot be climbed, or at least enemies on walls that make it much more difficult.
- Stamina should be more limited as well. Sprinting away from enemies is too easy. Gliding large distances is too fast and too safe.
- Weather should be more predictable. e.g. Looking at the types of clouds should be able to tell you if its gonna rain anytime for the entire day.

Feb 21, 2019
The weapon durability is there to facilitate exploration, so any changes should want to make you explore more and not less. Crafting or repair in the wild might make sense as one above poster mentioned. I don't think just changing the durability is going to do anything because that's just a factor of enemy HP, player skill, etc.
Completely disagree. Knowing that there was nothing cool over that mountain (like a cool weapon...or one that would break in an instant), made me less inclined to explore. Not more.

I hope they give some other options with this in the sequel.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Weapon durability was fine the way it was imo, maybe just add an option to repair them somehow.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The weapon durability definitely needs to be bumped up quite a bit, or introduce some kind of repair tool for your favorite weapons.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scrap weapon durability. Overhaul combat.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fix economy, you can make absurd amount of rupees just from cooking stuff then selling it. Treasures should be your main money earner which is what's supposed to encourage you to fight camps and such.

Also, add a treasures tab in the menu. The inventory is arse in the game as stuff that will only be used as selling fodder is mixed in with crafting materials and combat options. Thanks, I hate it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
All I'd change with weapon durability is to make the less durable weapons look less durable. Like have them made of scrap or glass or something. Mechanically it was perfect, but a lot of people got annoyed because they found a metal sword and it broke quickly.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Underwater and cave exploration.

Animation in real time during item/potion consumption like Dark Souls, since it can be easily exploited.

Better rewards to exploration like unique hard weapons and armors, some (very rare ones) with the ability to fix. Or instead of weapons some ores that can be used to increase the duration of weapons.

Increase enemy variations

Fishing rod.

Pet dogs and cats.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just want it to go back to a Zelda where:

- I didn't have to spend so much time in menus organizing, crafting, cooking, etc. I just want to play.
- I didn't have to spend so much time finding and collecting trinkets/insects/parts/etc.
- I didn't have to constantly switch weapons/equipment.
- I didn't have to wait for the rain to stop to climb surfaces.
- I didn't spend so much time just walking in a straight line getting to a destination.

Basically: I wish the game was more respectful of my time. I felt like I was spending so much time not actually "playing" the game.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I agree about weapon durability, it did discourage me from using some weapons or engaging in all scenarios when I knew I wouldn't get anything worth losing a decent weapon over.

I never thought enemies hit too hard, I just took it as I needed to be better with my approach to fighting the group or particular enemy.

Regardless, I'm sure tweaks to these things will happen in general.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Only people affected by weapon durability are people that don't explore, and thus, don't find good weapons.

I'm not a fan of durability, but weapons breaking was the only way I would have tried different weapons in the first place. And since I explored the hell out of the game, I was drowning in good weapons. I WANTED weapons to break so I could use the 20 others that I had.

If Nintendo can find a way to force people to switch weapons all the time without them breaking, then cool. But if not, then it should stay that way.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Cooking should be somewhat nerfed. In battle you should be able to eat only quick foods like some fruits or chicken wings with little health restored and wouldn't be able to attack while the animation is playing (it would be quick), while outside of combat you could do some big meals and prep before the fight.

Potions would insta recover but you could only bring limited quantities (the bottles) and they wouldn't buff unless it was a buff potion, but then you would had one less health potion on the bag.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
I had zero issues with weapon durability. If anything they need to reduce the number of weapons we can carry as the game and weapons became a non-issue in the second half as we could carry so many. Same with enemy damage output. Armors and food were super powerful and made increased dmg received not much of an issue. Removing the option to pause to eat but rather have the game still play, even in slo-mo, in the background might work.

Only thing here I had issues with was enemy health and our damage output against them. Bullet sponges, or rather sword sponges, aren't much fun.

A couple things BotW2 could use to really improve things in my mind are:

1. More enemy variety. We need more enemy types with different move sets. Not simply the same enemy with different skin color, better equipment and a fuck ton more health.
  2. More weapon type variety. BotW had tons of weapons, but very little in actual variety with how those weapons operated. More unique movesets for weapons and maybe affects to make them more viable and useful against different enemy types would be great.

Amen to this part, everyone talks about all these weapons but they are all pointless because you just mash attack button and that's it. They offer no personally at all, rather they not be there if they all going to play the same.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
The big one:
- Food has to regenerate health over time, instead of instantaneous.

Anything else is just Bonus:
- Weapon Durability has to be decreased, if anything, to reduce inventory management.
- The Bullet Time window should be shorter - more like the parry window. It activates in really weird situations, atm.
- Changing your clothes should only be able in safe zones like villages or fireplaces.
- The Food pouch is much too big. Should maybe also require seeds to be expanded over time.
- The overworld would benefit from more surfaces that cannot be climbed, or at least enemies on walls that make it much more difficult.
- Stamina should be more limited as well. Sprinting away from enemies is too easy. Gliding large distances is too fast and too safe.
- Weather should be more predictable. e.g. Looking at the types of clouds should be able to tell you if its gonna rain anytime for the entire day.
^This is an actual well-thought-out opinion on the topic

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I think making hearts from food restore over time would help balance out certain food types, by making the recovery time dependent on the dish. Hearty foods are so obviously overpowered, esp cos I always had plenty of truffle, durian, radish and hearty fish that I had absolutely no need to cook non hearty food. If they made it so it gives you the yellow hearts immediately but take ages to fill up red ones that would definitely encourage the use of other food.

Feb 10, 2018
I hope BOTW2 improves the graphics on a technical level.
It should be possible now that they are not held back by the wiiu.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they just need to put more proper dungeons and minidungeons to reward exploration more than just getting materials.

they should keep weapon degradation as it is, it's the glue that holds the game together and people don't even realize it

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
You should be able to get an outfit that allows you to climb in the rain.
This is a great idea.
They should also add weapon blueprints so you can make new copies of weapons you like to use but still persevere the breaking system. They can can make blueprints hard to find, as long as there's some certainty you can get the weapon again it should help people who are prone to hoarding

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yeah I think weapons durability should be a little longer, and maybe you can sharpen a couple timed before breaking. I get that they want you throwing weapons a lot.

Part of the reason you want to hoard the best weapons is because the enemies are so spongy. I wonder how it would feel if enemies just hit harder or moved faster but went down in 2 or 3 hits always.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Been playing through BotW this month. The sequel needs less inventory management. I spend too much time in the menus. They need to either make the weapon damage a little better or increase the number of slots. My other issue is to add more variety in the enemies. There are not enough of them and re skinned versions don't count. Also please have less rain and lightening.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weapon durability was fine, what wast fine were Lynels and Guardians taking half your inventory to beat.

Also as soon you got one of your armors to max upgrades, the entire game becomes a joke.

What actually made the game a joke though was the food. Not only you get full heal items with 1 or 2 ingredients, you also can eat it whenever you want.

Also the idea of making the last boss easier the more dungeons you beat was dumb.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
A lof of the combat/food/weapon stuff is hilariously unbalanced, but for me the big change they need to make is to climbing. Making virtually every surface climbable was a terrible game design decision imo, there was never really an incentive to interact with a lot of the enemies in the overflow when you can just climb/fly over everything. I felt like I was cheesing the entire game.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't list weapon durability because I think they should completely remove it.

Food needs serious balancing:
1. I remember facing Ganon for the first in BOTW, almost dying, all the food gone. Then I remembered having tons of apples and started eating them. I killed him because of fucking weapons. This shit should have a limit on how many you can carry.
2. Pausing game to cure. I'm not sure if WW was the first one to do this but in TP didn't stop the time while you were drinking potions.
Inventory management too:
Remember those people that were bored because of changing Iron Boots in Oot? All of them are probably dead now after the nightmare that is inventory management in BOTW. You go to menu a lot of times and everytime some weapon breaks you have to see a fucking ui to choose your new weapon. Man, that's hard.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Enemy variety and the boring sponginess of high level enemies are the actual problem.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
My biggest issue was enemy variety. running into another pack of Moblins or a Hinox miniboss got stale quick.

Actual dungeons would be nice or fewer shrines with longer puzzles.

That's honestly it.

Oct 29, 2017
The game early on is MUCH more difficult than the mid/late game. The difficulty curve just is way too skewed to the early game compared to late game since almost every enemy can kill you in one or two hits at the start, but after you're stacked with better armor, hearts, meals/fairies, AND the Divine Beast abilities (namely the Zora one that prevents death on a cooldown), you basically have to TRY to die.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Hearty ingredients are ridiculous and they desperately need to be reworked.

On paper, all they do is give you a few temporary extra hearts on top of your normal heart meter, which sounds okay. But the game doesn't actually support having temporary hearts when your normal hearts aren't full. So in practice, all hearty foods will heal all your hearts so that they can give you the extra ones.

All other foods heal a certain number of hearts. Typically a low number by default. Increase the quality or quantity of the ingredients to increase the healing. But with hearty ingredients, you always get a full heal (and more) with one ingredient, no matter how many hearts that would be. It's blatantly unbalanced.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard a lot of arguments about weapon durability and I think it is fine as it is. If they make weapons more durable, I'd be generally ok with it though. (I'd also be fine if they were less durable. I just have no issues with the durability of weapons, and often had too many weapons anyway.)

But I'm legit offended at the idea that enemies should do less damage and have less health. No. If anything, they should do more damage with the amount of healing options and combat abilities you get.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of the rain. Make it a very rare occurrence. Its the only thing that almost breaks the game for me. It doesn't add anything interesting.. it only takes away from the almost perfect balance and gameplay
Nah, keep the rain but don't make it impossible to climb when in the rain. Instead maybe make it that more stamina is consumed to climb something when it's raining, and Link doesn't slide down anymore.