• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
If there's no magic than how did I make a pencil vanish into someone's face?
4IUlVIo.gif

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
Hehe I said "at some point in their lives" those newborns will experience depression someday.

I'm sure you're aware of the fact that people, including newborn babies, can die at any time.

Unless you think babies are born depressed and none have ever died of a catastrophic accident, then I've refuted your point that it's an absolute truth that everyone will experience depression in their life.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm sure you're aware of the fact that people, including newborn babies, can die at any time.

Unless you think babies are born depressed and none have ever died of a catastrophic accident, then I've refuted your point.
Hehe I admit that's an interesting take , and you're right , if a newborn dies it won't feel depressed , so well done , I really didn't think of that.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
How is it trolling ? , it's an absolute truth , how can you argue against what I posted ?

You really should read the first post I wrote again. Just because something isn't deniable, does NOT make it a truth. Even worse, just because YOU think something isn't deniable, does NOT make it a truth.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
You really should read the first post I wrote again. Just because something isn't deniable, does NOT make it a truth. Even worse, just because YOU think something isn't deniable, does NOT make it a truth.
Ohh I was just proven wrong about most what I said so I accept defeat , but I guess the only real truth is that everyone dies I guess.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are , everything I said in the OP is 100% true.
From the perspective of Philosphy: we don't know if we live in the world of Realism or of Solipsism. It's the only single question in existence that humanity will never be able to answer. As long as we can't figure out the truth to our existince we won't be able to to determine if there is any kind of truth at all. /philosphy

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh I was just proven wrong about most what I said so I accept defeat , but I guess the only real truth is that everyone dies I guess.

It is not an absolute truth. You cannot prove that everyone will die. An absolute truth has a lot more to it than just appearing to be correct. Any sci-fi that involves immortality should show you that you cannot prove that it will always be true. The fact is that "an absolute truth" means something to people who are traversed in the field. You're getting called out on that, because you chose to use the phrase "absolute truth". I responded to you asking why what you wrote can't be considered absolute truths. Instead of reading that and taking that to heart, you've just said "You can't deny my statements". That's not responding to what I wrote.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It is not an absolute truth. You cannot prove that everyone will die. An absolute truth has a lot more to it than just appearing to be correct. Any sci-fi that involves immortality should show you that you cannot prove that it will always be true. The fact is that "an absolute truth" means something to people who are traversed in the field. You're getting called out on that, because you chose to use the phrase "absolute truth". I responded to you asking why what you wrote can't be considered absolute truths. Instead of reading that and taking that to heart, you've just said "You can't deny my statements". That's not responding to what I wrote.
Everyone dies and no one can prove otherwise. (Not yet anyways) so how is that not an absolute truth? It's absolute until it is proven otherwise.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone dies and no one can prove otherwise. (Not yet anyways) so how is that not an absolute truth? It's absolute until it is proven otherwise.

No. An absolute truth must be provable. That's the point. Just because something's been one way so far does not qualify it to be an absolute truth. The fields of mathematics and philosophy don't take lightly on this. We even have some life-forms that theoretically live forever, but let enough time pass, and the sun will explode, so you'd have to keep moving them along on a spaceship or something, but perhaps we would? So there are so many contingencies to your statement, and so many ways it could fail, that it cannot be considered an absolute truth. Or, you could flip it to the taoist/buddhist side and say that something that lives and does not die, does not live at all. In which case, you'd have an absolute truth. But we're not in firm grounds, here.

Otherwise, "My dick is 10 inches long" would be an absolute truth, because you can't prove otherwise.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
No. An absolute truth must be provable. That's the point. Just because something's been one way so far does not qualify it to be an absolute truth. The fields of mathematics and philosophy don't take lightly on this. We even have some life-forms that theoretically live forever, but let enough time pass, and the sun will explode, so you'd have to keep moving them along on a spaceship or something, but perhaps we would? So there are so many contingencies to your statement, and so many ways it could fail, that it cannot be considered an absolute truth. Or, you could flip it to the taoist/buddhist side and say that something that lives and does not die, does not live at all. In which case, you'd have an absolute truth. But we're not in firm grounds, here.
I'm not sure if the exact definition of "absolute truth" I chose my words carelessly, when I mean "absolute truth" , I mean things that cannot be refuted, argued against and no one in present time can deny that all humans die.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What are some things that cannot be argued against. I don't know if these fit in with the official definition of "absolute truth" , but it is what comes from my mind:

- Every person lies (if they live long enough).
- Every person is a hypocrite about something.(if they live long enough).
- Every living being dies.
- At some point, everyone battles some form of depression.(if they live long enough).

"If they live long enough" is an addendum you can tack at the end of any claim to make it true. "Everyone travels to the Moon, if they live long enough"; if you didn't travel to the Moon, you just didn't live long enough.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
"If they live long enough" is an addendum you can tack at the end of any claim to make it true. "Everyone travels to the Moon, if they live long enough"; if you didn't travel to the Moon, you just didn't live long enough.
Hehe fair enough , you got me there , hehe I am scatterbrained forgive me , but I still hold firm that every human dies and no one can argue that.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the exact definition of "absolute truth" I chose my words carelessly, when I mean "absolute truth" , I mean things that cannot be refuted, argued against and no one in present time can deny that all humans die.

At first I came into this thread thinking it would be about absolute truths, but I saw it was taken to be a more colloquial form. We have things like one game being better than another, and pineapple not belonging on pizza. At that point, I was ready to make a joking post and move on. But someone challenged you on the objectivity of your statements, and you argued against it, so I figured I'd just show that your statements aren't actually objective. If they're meant in that lighthearted "things we all know are true" kind of way, then we have that kind of thread. I don't mean to like be a buzz-kill to a lighthearted thread, but you seemed adamant about having posted absolute truths, and I think the distinction is important.

When discussing truths, especially in a world filled with anti-vaxxers and flath earthers, it's important to realize what that entails. "Everyone dies" is a point worth discussing at length, but it's important to realize why it's not an absolute truth, and what provability is.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
At first I came into this thread thinking it would be about absolute truths, but I saw it was taken to be a more colloquial form. We have things like one game being better than another, and pineapple not belonging on pizza. At that point, I was ready to make a joking post and move on. But someone challenged you on the objectivity of your statements, and you argued against it, so I figured I'd just show that your statements aren't actually objective. If they're meant in that lighthearted "things we all know are true" kind of way, then we have that kind of thread. I don't mean to like be a buzz-kill to a lighthearted thread, but you seemed adamant about having posted absolute truths, and I think the distinction is important.
Fair enough , I used absolute too carelessly , I can settle with just things people can't disprove.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
Solipsism (/ˈsɒlɪpsɪzəm/ (listen); from Latin solus, meaning 'alone', and ipse, meaning 'self') is the philosophical idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind.

Seems like a subject you would be keen to explore.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Are you OK, btw, Mondai? Judging by the points you made in OP, I'd be hard-pressed not to guess you're depressed, feel lied to by someone being a hypocrite, and contemplating death.

So, are you OK?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Are you OK, btw, Mondai? Judging by the points you made in OP, I'd be hard-pressed not to guess you're depressed, feel lied to by someone being a hypocrite, and contemplating death.

So, are you OK?
I am depressed and have had some suicidal thoughts lately , but it comes and go . Everyone lies at some point and everyone is hypocritical too about something , I am guilty of both. And no worries, I have a regular therapist , I've just been jaded since my children died.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
I am depressed and have had some suicidal thoughts lately , but it comes and go . Everyone lies at some point and everyone is hypocritical too about something , I am guilty of both. And no worries, I have a regular therapist , I've just been jaded since my children died.
I'm so sorry man. Feel free to send me a PM if you ever need someone to talk to <3

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
If you think everyone suffers from depression at some point in their lives, you have a fundamentally wrong concept of "depression" (hint: it's not a fancy synonym for "sadness").
I knows it's not sadness , I suffer from depression and people have things that they struggle with and feel hopeless with, most people just like to hide it as best they can , something I was also guilty of, so yes I believe all humans suffer from a form of depression at some point in their lives.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

Well, fuck. That'd be enough to make anyone jaded. I'm happy you haven't experienced anything acute relating to betrayal or such, but I can't imagine having to deal with the loss of a child. You sound like you know how to handle your suicidal thoughts, which is really the most important thing. I'm sure you're taking small steps forward, even though they might be hard to see. Keep fighting <3

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS
I Know

JEFFERY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Well, fuck. That'd be enough to make anyone jaded. I'm happy you haven't experienced anything acute relating to betrayal or such, but I can't imagine having to deal with the loss of a child. You sound like you know how to handle your suicidal thoughts, which is really the most important thing. I'm sure you're taking small steps forward, even though they might be hard to see. Keep fighting <3
I've suffered with self deprecating behavior since I was a kid , I was mentally abused by parents and my older brother and it's hard to forget , suicidal thoughts come and go , I have no need or desire to act of them, but I don't think I'll ever stop feeling jaded/empty , losing twins is... difficult to describe and forget.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Otherwise, "My dick is 10 inches long" would be an absolute truth, because you can't prove otherwise.
It's the same stuff that keeps religion going, I know there is no god, but can't prove it, 'they' know there is, but can't prove it, so the arguement rumbles on ad infinitum.