• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
What are some things that cannot be argued against. I don't know if these fit in with the official definition of "absolute truth" , but it is what comes from my mind:

- Every person lies (if they live long enough).
- Every person is a hypocrite about something.(if they live long enough).
- Every human dies.
- At some point, everyone battles some form of depression.(if they live long enough).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Dark souls 2 is the best souls games (kidding , don't hate me :p , it's just my truth :p ).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for absolute truths I suggest that you stay entirely away from subjective human experiences.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Lords of Shadow is good

Van Helsing is a fun movie

Ari Aster likes the smell of his own farts and uses emotional manipulation to blandly rehash better films

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I agree. But all of those sentences consist of at least one subjective term :P (kind of a trick question).
Seems like this is a question for epistemology though. (What is considered knowledge? How can we be certain of anything at all?)

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
What did I say was subjective? everything I posted in the OP are things no one can argue against.

When you say "absolute truth", you invoke a lot in those of us interested in epistemology, teleology, logic and mathematics. I think of a tautology. "There are no round squares". Or "If I dye my hair white, it will no longer be black". Your examples are absolutely subjective, because they have no rigid forms of qualification. Further, an absolute truth must be provable. The fact that no one lies is absolutely not provable. The only thing that could be argued is that "every living being dies", but we're getting into matters that relate to linguistic definition, the ultimate fate of the universe and everything in between.

An absolute truth must be true for all things at all times in all places. There might be a future where living things don't have to die, and interverse travel to escape whatever fate this universe might have. But that's just rambling, because it hinges on way too many other things. As such, none of the statements you've made are absolute truths. It's rather "things I believe to be true about all living people".

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
raf,750x1000,075,t,5a1f32:a6197194c6.jpg
More like "Cogito, ergo sumo"

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
When you say "absolute truth", you invoke a lot in those of us interested in epistemology, teleology, logic and mathematics. I think of a tautology. "There are no round squares". Or "If I dye my hair white, it will no longer be black". Your examples are absolutely subjective, because they have no rigid forms of qualification. Further, an absolute truth must be provable. The fact that no one lies is absolutely not provable. The only thing that could be argued is that "every living being dies", but we're getting into matters that relate to linguistic definition, the ultimate fate of the universe and everything in between.

An absolute truth must be true for all things at all times in all places. There might be a future where living things don't have to die, and interverse travel to escape whatever fate this universe might have. But that's just rambling, because it hinges on way too many other things. As such, none of the statements you've made are absolute truths.
There are truths in the sense that they cannot be refuted, You cannot give a convincing argument that refutes what is posted in the OP, Th acts what I meant when I say absolute truths.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
There are truths in the sense that they cannot be refuted, You cannot give a convincing argument that refutes what is posted in the OP, Th acts what I meant when I say absolute truths.

It is poor wording. It just means you're prejudiced. Just because I personally can't convince you otherwise is not about truth at all. The whole world is going to shit because of this stuff. Anti-vax, flat earth are perfect examples of people in exactly your position. They can't be convinced of anything besides what they think is true. Your statements are not truths, and you shouldn't think of them as truths.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It is poor wording. It just means you're prejudiced. Just because I personally can't convince you otherwise is not about truth at all. The whole world is going to shit because of this stuff. Anti-vax, flat earth. They're not truths, and you shouldn't think of them as truths.
Can you truly refute what I said in the op , the answer is no... you can't.