• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
i think I agree with Jason here. I do not see the problem with those jokes making fun of a really tacky comparison.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was being discussed in the Last of Us Review Thread, but we were asked to stop discussing it there so I figured it's own thread was warranted.

Super condensed version:

It started with Jeff Cannata's tweet here

Jason Schreier replied with this

Neil chimed in with this

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason continued later on with this

Then it started getting ugly...

Neil:

Jason's response:

And finally Cory Barlog decided to call Jason out:

There's a lot more to it, so feel free to dig in further. But... damn.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Jason isn't coming out well in this encounter and it all started with his over-reaction. It's pretty obvious Jeff was just comparing the tone of different films and games, not directly saying that TLOUP2 is just like the Holocaust. Jason has over-reacted then become pretty petulant especially with his "Be well" comments.

Last edited:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Why does this warrant its own thread though? This thread will be filled with posters going after either neil or jason. There's no productive discussion to be had here. Let em solve it among themselves

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the thread was made...if the mods don't close this in 5 seconds, it will be a shitshow.
Why does this warrant its own thread though? This thread will be filled with posters going after either neil or jason. There's no productive discussion to be had here. Let em solve it among themselves
I mean, it's an extremely relevant thing to talk about, isn't it? Three of the biggest names in the industry at odds here, and frankly I think it leaves room to open a bigger discussion about gaming media and their relationship with the industry.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Jason being a bit of a prick really, first acting all high and mighty, then pretending he doesn't understand why Neil would call him out for it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
As much as I like God of War and Santa Monica as a studio I can't agree with Cory here at all.

Be better.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
For someone who thinks of themselves as the pinnacle of games journalism it's pretty fucking petty and unprofessional as fuck. Jesus, that dude is so self righteous as hell.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I think Jeff's OG tweet is dumb but for being so hyperbolic. Jason said something kinda dumb with the Bioshock audio diaries being like Anne Frank's diary. A joke, of course, but at that point he's directly comparing it to the Holocaust and not just the tone of a movie.

Not sure about the whole "tearing us down" thing.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
what is it always to call out someone on twitter before trying to reach to them via dm and share your criticism?

feels more like a gotcha instead of a honest discussion and making it clear to him why it was not a good comparison?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Jason continued later on with this

Then it started getting ugly...

Neil:

Jason's response:

And finally Cory Barlog decided to call Jason out:

There's a lot more to it, so feel free to dig in further. But... damn.

Also to give some more context Jason Schreier, a Jewish man, had previously been called 'too sensitive', a 'manchild' and accused of 'manufacturing outrage' when it came to his feelings about a non-Jewish person invoking Holocaust media. It's not like he went from the first Tweet to that.

Like I honestly think it's kind of relevant context here that:

Jason Schreier is a Jewish man with family who died in the Holocaust talking about a non-Jewish person's usage of Holocaust media. He isn't just creating beef for no reason and if you think he is then, honestly, you need to think about things a little.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Jason has been a bit of an ass over the past few months, including his tacky tweet when Heather announced she was leaving Kotaku. I don't know if he's going through personal shit, letting his ego get to him, or what, but it's been out of character and super obnoxious. Jeff Cannata may have put his foot in his mouth a bit, but he remains one of the nicest, most earnest people in all the games industry. It should have been handled over DMs, Jason knew what he was doing

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Is he ready to fight against the evil Druckmann?

a4gPv7R.jpg

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Druckmann and Barlog seem to have it out for him there. Nothing he said was bullying at all.

TheBioLover

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one way to settle this. Live deathmatch in TLoU Factions. Loser has to buy the other a PS5.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
They are all adults, they should log off Twitter.
If they want to talk, call each other privately.
If they want their points to be known publicly do a podcast and talk it out.
Twitter is the worst medium for this. Right now, It's embrassing for all sides involved.

82T79

Banned
Oct 27, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
Niel just wants to see women die for the lamest reasons he is teh suxorz

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
It reads like they are doing a deliberate parody of a typical Resetera thread.

Edit: to clarify, I'm mostly talking about Jason and Jeff.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am on Jasons side in this argument. But not sure if a thread about this can foster any productive conversations.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Jason needs to know how to take a break. How to cool down.

Jeff was only comparing the mediums because both were hard to play/watch. Just a regular comparison but Jason is exaggerating here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Comparing a game to a movie about the Holocaust is indeed very fucking dumb, I don't blame Jason for his response honestly.

May 17, 2018
Jason is def in the wrong here, but, just yet another example of how Twitter is the absolute last place you can expect any kind of conversation.

People will use any chance they can to dunk on others. It absolutely sucks.

Comparing a game to a movie about the Holocaust is indeed very fucking dumb, I don't blame Jason for his response honestly.

The tweet was lame, but, that's not at all what Jeff was doing. He was clearly comparing his emotional reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.