• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I'm pretty happy at that GOG figure. 20% of Steam is nothing to scoff at.

Everyone should support GOG whenever possible, their hardline DRM-free stance is very important.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Indies just don't get a ton of promotion on PSN unless there is a specific sale for them. You go on PSN and aside from their media apps and that sort of stuff it's all big games like CoD or FIFA or GaaS like overwatch and Fortnite that arguably don't really need the additional promotion.

I see. That's a shame, there are a lot of quality indie games that could use the extra sales.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why so many people are saying TP was a success? Ron seemed pretty clear about it underperforming significantly unless something changed. (Which is disappointing because the game was great.)

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I see. That's a shame, there are a lot of quality indie games that could use the extra sales.
Absolutely. I feel it may be a money issue though, EA and Activision are likely throwing money towards Sony for those prominent spots and Indies just can't compete with that. Nintendo on the other hand has been pretty consistent at putting most new releases in there "featured" section on the eShop.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why so many people are saying TP was a success? Ron was pretty clear about it underperforming significantly unless something changed. (Which is disappointing because the game was great.)

That was before Switch blew up.

https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/t/twp-players-on-steam-revealed/2891/15

Ron was *not* expecting switch sales to be anywhere near this good when he made those comments about underperforming.
I don't know that it would now be considered a success, as afaik Ron has never commented on how the game did overall since the summer, but it's in a significantly better place then it was when he made those comments.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
I love indies and I love the Switch. As far as I'm concerned it's a match made in heaven.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
That was before Switch blew up.

https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/t/twp-players-on-steam-revealed/2891/15

Ron was *not* expecting switch sales to be anywhere near this good when he made those comments about underperforming.
I don't know that it would now be considered a success, as afaik Ron has never commented on how the game did overall since the summer, but it's in a significantly better place then it was when he made those comments.
Ah, missed that post. Good to hear then!

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. It's a great game and the Switch is my ideal platform for these kinds of games. Really hope to see a lot more quality output for the system.

A really great game even if playing it on switch docked it's not quite the most comfortable way. Either way, me and my wife had a real blast.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
TQuMrB1.jpg

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why so many people are saying TP was a success? Ron seemed pretty clear about it underperforming significantly unless something changed. (Which is disappointing because the game was great.)
Underperforming towards expectations can still mean a success.

Also his post only stated that the Steam sales didn't meet his expectation.

Again doesn't mean it hasn't done well.

Like I posted earlier, the bigger point for me was that a year after release they were able to get a lot of new sales ln Switch.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty happy at that GOG figure. 20% of Steam is nothing to scoff at.
Yep and this is why real competition is a good thing in the PC market.

And why despite taking a higher cut than other places, Steam should still be the #1 place to launch an indie game on PC.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda worried about the indie scene on PS4 (and potentially PS5) at this point. I own a Switch too but would much rather play games on my PS4. I wonder if we'll stay seeing a significant number of indie games skip the PlayStation platform completely.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Can't say I'm surprised at all a game that looks like this didn't sell on PS or XB.

thimbleweed-park-screenshot_720.0.0.png

I had a hard time getting my friends to play Resogun or even download the excellent guacamelee when it was a PS+ game.
I know nobody in real life who would buy a game with that art style on their PS4.
Way too many people won't give 2d games a chance these days.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I had a hard time getting my friends to play Resogun or even download the excellent guacamelee when it was a PS+ game.
I know nobody in real life who would buy a game with that art style on their PS4.
Way too many people won't give 2d games a chance these days.

It doesn't have that artstyle.

This is the artstyle.

8luG9WC.png

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda worried about the indie scene on PS4 (and potentially PS5) at this point. I own a Switch too but would much rather play games on my PS4. I wonder if we'll stay seeing a significant number of indie games skip the PlayStation platform completely.

I wouldn't worry, if an indie game is coming to PC and Switch there's no reason for it not to show up on PS4 or 5. the only thing that may happen is more late releases or slower post-launch support but even then I wouldn't worry. sales would have to be real shit for it to make sense to skip the platform altogether.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that the game sold best on PC, you would expect as much from a point and click. Only slightly surprising thing is how close it is.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting takeaways here.

- A point and click adventure doing so well on a Nintendo platform is great.
- Steam is a hugely important market for Indies.
- The sales on Playstation are disappointingly bad. It makes me wonder if it's just not such a healthy market for Indies in general or this game is simply a weird anomaly.

I would guess the triple-whammy of it probably getting buried on Sony's store, being a point & click game that you use a controller for, and the pixel art style. My impression has been Double Fine's stuff sells solidly on PS4, but I'd assume they get featured.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Also

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the nintendo number is eshop only. I suspect the LRG physical is a healthy chunk of the Nintendo number. It was the first ever LRG switch release, had an open preorder and was said to have done exceedingly well.

The LE version of the LRG release was also awesome:

DZkVc0yVAAExVXN.jpg

DZy0Af3U0AAntBt.jpg

Amend the Thread Title. This isn't Eshop only. Steam might still win lmao.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet PS+ has an influence. If you get so many free indie games all the time, there's really not too much pressure to delve through the trash on PSN to find a nice indie game to change the pace a bit.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Im a huge fan and I hope that the game does well. I think that phil spencer tweeted about playing TP. Just saying. I also like phil spencer.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I bet PS+ has an influence. If you get so many free indie games all the time, there's really not too much pressure to delve through the trash on PSN to find a nice indie game to change the pace a bit.
Xbox has basically the same service and, with way less console sold, it outsold the PS version by quite a margin.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
"We've got to understand that if we enjoy those games, the business opportunity has to be there for them. I love story-based games. I just finished [LucasArts-inspired RPG] Thimbleweed Park – I thought it was a fantastic game. Inside was probably my game of last year. As an industry, I want to make sure both narrative-driven single-player games and service-based games have the opportunity to succeed. I think that's critical for us."

Phil Spencer interviewed buy the guardian (who thinks Thimbleweed Park is a RPG)
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-episodes-subscription-downloads-phil-spencer

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
For quite some time, many indies had been underperforming on PS4. Whether it's an excess of choices, AAA competition undermining people's interest, or the "indie bubble" bursting for the platform, it's clear there are signs of regression. Only very big, frequently advertised indies are doing well right now on PS. If your game is not a console/full exclusive, releases close to some blockbuster (this TP went against Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) or the game style isn't ideal for a couch experience, it's going to suffer badly.

Given the choice, this kind of game sounds ideal for a handheld device. I guess you could remote-play through Vita, but let's be real, that choice doesn't even exist in the mind of many people.

RodentBR

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sad to see it performed so poorly on Android. Played it from start to finish on my Galaxy S9 and it was a great experience. Piracy on Android must be stopped somehow.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
or this game is simply a weird anomaly.
A sample of '1' is statistically irrelevant no matter what you think of the number.
For arguments about what Indies do on respective platforms we'd need to know % of indie-published games from the platform's yearly shipments.
Eg. % of Indies from 100M in 2018 Switch, vs % of indies from ~250-300M on PS4 (or 400+ if we added XB1).
It's entirely possible Indies sell a lot better on Switch, but even if the ratio is 4:1 it'd still amount to the same number on other platforms.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not at all surprised that it sold so well on Switch, but I am surprised that it sold so poorly on PS4 even compared to GoG and Google Play.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No? I googled this game I've never heard of and posted my conlusion of the OP lol

This forum is so thirsty for console wars...
If you are gonna shit on a game, you could at least use just one more minute to see if it's really representative of the game. You could also do some thinking about why PC and Switch players bought the game if the game was so terrible as you seemed to think. You just linking that image without even a small effort to check it and/or do some thinking, comes off as petty and seems like console warring even if you didn't mean it (nobody means to do console wars anyway), and it's pretty ironic you accuse anyone else of console warring.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is always going to do super well in indie sales if the game is not resource intensive. If the game largely looks the same between platforms, the Switch has the portability factor, less competition, and Nintendo Directs do a good job marketing a variety of games on a regular basis.

Being able to pick up and play anywhere in the house, or even outside the house, is a pretty big plus for a lot of people who can't always get screen time, dedicated time in their game room, or don't own a TV/multiple TVs.

Beyond that I get the impression that a lot of people also really enjoy playing 2D experiences in handheld mode. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, or easier readability, not really sure. Certainly I think the Nintendo fanbase in particular has the biggest connection to those styles of games on the console side.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up on Xbox and PC, and ended up recommending it to a bunch of other people early on.

also, choices, choices, choices :)

nToq4Wm.png

competition on PSN is pretty big right now

To someone familiar with the genres for these games, this post feels close to self-parody.

Last edited:

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is just more evidence that Sony and Microsoft have dropped the ball this gen in cultivating a healthy environment for indies to launch their games. I don't see a reason why Switch owners' fervor for indie games (shown here in the eShop thread, on Reddit and elsewhere) where fans seemingly watch every new trailer for each game and curate lists of recommendations each release week can't be replicated elsewhere.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the nintendo number is eshop only. I suspect the LRG physical is a healthy chunk of the Nintendo number. It was the first ever LRG switch release, had an open preorder and was said to have done exceedingly well.

The LE version of the LRG release was also awesome:

DZkVc0yVAAExVXN.jpg

DZy0Af3U0AAntBt.jpg
Amend the Thread Title. This isn't Eshop only. Steam might still win lmao.
It's a comparison between digital storefronts. The title on the graph is the confirmation. Hell, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
If you are gonna shit on a game, you could at least use just one more minute to see if it's really representative of the game. You could also do some thinking about why PC and Switch players bought the game if the game was so terrible as you seemed to think. You just linking that image without even a small effort to check it and/or do some thinking, comes off as petty and seems like console warring even if you didn't mean it (nobody means to do console wars anyway), and it's pretty ironic you accuse anyone else of console warring.
Please point me to where I shat on anything. I simply stated I'm not surprised a pixel art P&C game failed on PS4/XB1. You guys are so furious that you read a post and then make some crazy shit up in your head to reply to.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
To someone familiar with the genres for these games, this post feels close to self-parody.
Wait, are you saying that person who played Yakuza or any other game, will never give a chance to Thimbleweed park? It's maybe will be a surprise for you, but many people don't choose just one genre.
None of those games compete with Thimbleweed Park. That's like saying god of war competes with Farming simulator or Gone Home.
They actually are. They're compete for consumer's wallet.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
If that's the case the Switch version came out even further ahead then the graph suggests, as they sold 14,000 physical switch copies.
Very impressive.
It's not. Chart in $ revenue, not in amount of copies sold.
Don't forget about region-specific prices on GOG and Steam:
1OSvYj8.png

gpyE0qh.png

So, basically, ^ in this case 1 copy on Switch will bring the same amount revenue as 3 copies on GOG.

+

the GOG number does not include Q3 due to not receiving money from them yet.

Oct 26, 2017
also, choices, choices, choices :)

nToq4Wm.png

competition on PSN is pretty big right now
None of those games compete with Thimbleweed Park. That's like saying god of war competes with Farming simulator or Gone Home.
Wait, are you saying that person who played Yakuza or any other game, will never give a chance to Thimbleweed park? It's maybe will be a surprise for you, but many people don't choose just one genre.

They actually are. They're compete for consumer's wallet.
In the same sense that donuts and BBQ sauce compete for consumers wallets.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Chart in $ revenue, not in amount of copies sold.
Don't forget about region-specific prices on GOG and Steam:
1OSvYj8.png

gpyE0qh.png

So, basically, ^ in this case 1 copy on Switch will bring the same amount revenue as 3 copies on GOG.

+

Jaded Alyx suggested the nintendo figure was eshop only, so the $ revenue wouldn't include the 14K copies I was talking about.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Pretty much this, also by the time I might be interested in indie games, some AAA game I previously missed are on sale and unfortunately I'd rather play them instead.

Now the games on the Switch eShop are vastly different from what's available on PS4 and Xbox so indies tend to stick out a lot more. My games library would likely contain more indies if the Switch was my primary gaming device. Thimbleweed does look quite appealing after all, just not necessarily what most of the PS4/ XBO audience wants I guess?