• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I was pretty goddamn annoyed that they played almost no part in the last few episodes.

It was literally one of the first plot points in the entire series. I figured there would be some payoff at this point.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Completely forgot about this. Now this makes me somewhat hopeful that she and her pack might make an appearence this season.

Then again, considering how they treated Ghost, I'm not holding my breath.
You really shouldn't. That scene was her goodbye and we won't see her again. I really doubt there'll be any Arya/Hound traveling scenes and the next time we see them they'll be at KL.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GOT origin was GRRM having mental image of siblings finding direwolves. Then they are pretty much forgotten even in the books. Sigh

He also begins killing them off (Lady) or sending them away (Nymeria) almost immediately. Only Summer, Ghost and Shaggydog are still around in the books...Robb's dire wolf had his head sewn to Robb's decapitated body.

I'm expecting the remaining book wolves to get done dirty too at this point

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's not like they do anything in the books either.

At this point, I wouldn't expect much better but the point is the books aren't to this same payoff point. The series is at the finale and they are not utilizing one of the first thematic devices they introduced.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
The CGI was never really good when there
were direwolves on screen, always looked fake/blue screeny. You van literally see the enlarged them through effects when humans were near them, but either way - why wont just do it, its the final season

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jon/Arya having wolf dreams is a major theme in the book. It certainly seemed to be building up to them having some of the same powers as Bran, albeit more limited (i.e. just to be able to "warg" into their direwolf).

I wouldn't really capitalize on what GRRM has been "building up to", because most of the time he builds and builds until a payoff seems imminent, and then he goes build something else because he got bored.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The living ones all still play pretty major roles up and into Book 5, so while they're definitely not as prominent as book 1 (where twice as many are around), I'd argue that's just due to the overall plot stretch George had to deal with.

Its no where near how bad the show is.

Oh, you mean there a guy holding him at gunpoint saying "No, don't give that storyline any sort of closure, just kill the character and introduce 15 more new viewpoints!".

That explains everything.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ghost is going to be the vessel for Jons mind/soul until his body is somehow repared/ressurected.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
book 1 opens with the stark children each taking a wolf pup. immediately we are attached to them alongside their respective characters. It's a pretty good hook actually, as we want to see how both the wolves and the characters grow and go on their journies.

the show does everything it can to downplay the wolves and remove them from the story, despite years of fan outcry. It's been one of the biggest disappointments for me. The books may have strayed away from their importance as well, but nowhere near to the same degree.

As a compromise what they should have done is focus on Ghost a lot more after the other wolves get written out of the show. make him huge and badass, and spend some of that dragon CGI budget on ghost. Just a handful of noteworthy scenes a season with him would be enough to quell most complaints. But they can't even give us that much.

Last edited:

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
After HBO's treating of horses and how many of them died under their watch, they are better off not handing dogs or any small animal. Keep Ghost cgi, have him do the nod of budget and be done with it.

They have done piss all with Ghost for what has felt like 3+ seasons and only really showed him off in 3 episodes. Let the wolf go up north, have peace, hunt and roam free. Jon was right to let him go, be free Ghost, live the rest of your life. Veteran of the War of Winterfell. He will get his purple heart in the mail.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
He also begins killing them off (Lady) or sending them away (Nymeria) almost immediately. Only Summer, Ghost and Shaggydog are still around in the books...Robb's dire wolf had his head sewn to Robb's decapitated body.

I'm expecting the remaining book wolves to get done dirty too at this point

In the books Jon wargs into Ghost. Arya wargs into Nymeria but just thinks she is dreaming, Nymeria has a huge wolfpack roaming the Riverlands killing Lannister forces and by the end she is hunting Arya down and is just misses her as she leaves for Braavos. Rickon is turning feral as he is warging into Shaggydog but as he's so young and his mind isn't developed he can't control it properly and it is effecting him.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But they had the funding to make Drogon: Flights of Passage in episode 1? Piss off.

Ghost was the best boy. He deserves better
I'm actually buying it. The interaction with the dragons consists 99% of John sitting on top of a big prop and CG on top of it is added later. In Ghost's situation, it would be entirely CGI, so rotoscoping would play a larger role (thus more time) if I had to guess.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they screwed over the direwolves but let's not forget the dragons, which GRRM once described as the Westerosi equivalent of nuclear weapons, are basically fucking useless now too.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
GOT origin was GRRM having mental image of siblings finding direwolves. Then they are pretty much forgotten even in the books. Sigh
Nymeria is off causing chaos in the riverlands and will likely be important to Arya's plot, Summer and Shaggydog are always next to Bran and Rickon, and Shaggydog is gonna get into some fights on Skagos, and Ghost is well, Ghost. Lady is the only forgotten one in the books, but yeah, they are much more focused on in the books.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He is able to warg and his last word is 'Ghost'... so yeah I think it is very possible he warged into Ghost before dying.
Especially since the entire point of the book's prologue was to show what happens when a warg "dies".
Also implied that's what Robb did with his last words before dying being "Grey Wind" and then Grey Wind killing a bunch of people before he's taken down also.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We didn't have enough for the wolves because we pointlessly kept this dragon alive for a little bit longer even though a lot of people assumed it was dead."

Oct 28, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people get upset about anything, too
This is a quite beloved series at its core, especially the books. The final series of GoT on TV is pretty upsetting for long term fans hoping for some closure that might never come from the books.

Moments like this in s8 are pretty rough for anyone who cares about the world and characters.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I don't know. I think Ghost plays into the endgame so far.

as a book reader, I've seen Jon warf into ghost in his sleep. The most common theory on him resurrecting before season 6, for book readers and tv watchers, is by going into Ghost. I think Tormund's lines about "you belong in the north" and Jon sending ghost instead are to foreshadow him dying and warging, living out his days running free in the north.

It would also make sense if you've ever read Robin Hobb's Assassin series, she and GRRM go way back, as
Game of Thrones and Assassin's Apprentice came out at the same time and there are some weird lore and story parallels in these two sagas, including our main hero being able to go inside their wolf at strange times and his soul living inside a wolf after he died.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the books Jon wargs into Ghost. Arya wargs into Nymeria but just thinks she is dreaming, Nymeria has a huge wolfpack roaming the Riverlands killing Lannister forces and by the end she is hunting Arya down and is just misses her as she leaves for Braavos. Rickon is turning feral as he is warging into Shaggydog but as he's so young and his mind isn't developed he can't control it properly and it is effecting him.

Good points, all. Maybe they'll still play an important role.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Easily one of the most disappointing aspects of the show. Summer and Ghost should've been on screen next to Bran and Jon as much as possible.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost is not a "model". Ghost is a real high content wolfdog. The animal is filmed on green screen, and enlarged to appear bigger in the show. The animals used to represent the direwolves in the first season aren't wolves at all, but dogs. Northern Inuit dogs. That changed from Season 2 onward.