• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

The nonbinary pronoun "they" has been named Merriam-Webster's word of the year.
The American English dictionary revealed that searches for the term have risen by 313% in the last year.
The definition of "they" as a nonbinary pronoun was added to the three other separate definitions of the word in September.
Merriam-Webster said in a statement that the word of the year winner was determined by data.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
It's great for nonbinary people, also a victory for students who get their third persons edited to "he" by overzealous English teachers when they works fine

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the dictionary is ruining my childhood and turning house pets gay.

Nice
Here comes that joke

a tack, hello coppers!

f8w4oh6.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My version of this story was a teacher from over 10 years ago. She was well-intentioned and otherwise helpful.
For added context: Before changing my mind, I studied to become an ESL teacher here in Austria. Granted, that was only 7 years ago, but the idea that a teacher would discourage students from using singular they 10 years ago is still astonishing.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nice. A supportive choice, I always like seeing that, and I also know that somewhere out there, there's probably a few cunts who are pissed off about this. Double whammy. Well done!

Nov 14, 2017
They know what's up.

I dig it

Certain people are going to be infuriated
The first time I saw someone get mad at me for using 'they' on a forum I was relating an anecdote. I was only being gender neutral to help keep the subjects anonymised (the internet is always smaller than you think!). Some people get really triggered by it.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Wow - people do that? Jesus christ.

When translating, I purposefully always change third persons to they...
At least when I was in school, it was always one of those things like "never use singular 'they', always use 'he or she'; don't split infinitives; don't end sentences in a preposition" kind of grammar prescriptivism that always seemed like it was being taught "because that's what The Book says is 'correct' and that's what I learned when I was in school" etc.
At least at the time, it never came across like some anti-non-binary thing, just another one of those hold-over rules from like the 1800s that was arbitrarily made (usually based on rules from another language, like Latin or French) to distinguish high-class, educated people from lower-class people, or whatever.

As it turns out, singular they, split infinitives, and ending sentences in a preposition are all pretty natural in English and have been around for centuries. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm fucking laughing my ass off at people legit getting mad at a dictionary.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice. Frankly it should be the word of the year every year until certain people stop pretending they don't know how to use it.

Mar 30, 2019
Cool.

Previous winners if anyone is curious:

2016 is apt.
I dig it

Certain people are going to be infuriated
They will will they?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.