• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
The detail about being left with mafia and losing is a good one. I feel like that's a harder detail to fake. Hmm. I gotta chew on this.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Good morning! Why kits over TWE?

Here's my thing with Worthy. Everyone was town reading him and he's killed three scums at this point. Why set up some nonsense just to make yourself look suspicious when you can just kill another town and claim vanilla. If the no kill didn't happen and Worthy claimed vanilla, no one would be looking at him today.

Kitsune is a weird one where she seems scummy but Pog seemed town as fuck. It's like the opposite problem I had with Geno. At this point, I'm going to be voting someone who I'm town reading no matterwhat and she's the one I'm least sure on.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
It does make a certain small amount of sense if you look at the Scum win condition. "Control a majority of the votes." In a 1v1 they don't control the majority of the votes (it's a tie). Granted, they could just spend sever nights trying to kill him until it sticks, but that just wastes everyone's time.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it reads as unnecessary detail to sell a lie.

"No, sweetie, I was out with Mark! Yeah, he was wearing a green sweater and corduroys. I had a peach Bellini"

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
It does make a certain small amount of sense if you look at the Scum win condition. "Control a majority of the votes." In a 1v1 they don't control the majority of the votes (it's a tie). Granted, they could just spend sever nights trying to kill him until it sticks, but that just wastes everyone's time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is why it was added but now it doesn't matter because my "vest" is now broken.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mafia really just isn't for me. I'm always getting scum-read for behaving like myself, as opposed to actually good reasons, and I don't think that's ever going to change. I think this might be my last game.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll see this one through the end because I think we're late enough that me leaving would just be a modkill but after that I think I'm done. It ain't none of your faults, I'm just clearly not suited for it.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Mafia really just isn't for me. I'm always getting scum-read for behaving like myself, as opposed to actually good reasons, and I don't think that's ever going to change. I think this might be my last game.

Nah don't worry. In my early games I was being scumread all the fuckin' time simply because I played online mafia in the same vain as I did in tabletop form.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair people (me) are regularly scum read for innocuous shit like responding quickly, late, tersely or too much, it's not a dig at how you're playing personally more that people see more than what's there. Your vote record is the best way to weather through that.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I'll see this one through the end because I think we're late enough that me leaving would just be a modkill but after that I think I'm done. It ain't none of your faults, I'm just clearly not suited for it.
Sorry to hear you think that. Just want you to know it's something everyone goes through and I hope you're still having fun.

Here's a gif from me to you
tenor.gif

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear you think that. Just want you to know it's something everyone goes through and I hope you're still having fun.

Here's a gif from me to you
tenor.gif

I work myself into pits I can never get out of for reasons that are generally never clear or articulated and I never last more than a few days, if I ever get past D1. It's happened in every game I've been in so far, and I've been in like, five games, and I still have no idea how to fix it because the problem is incredibly opaque and boils down to "S-she just seems scummy!". If it's something everyone goes through I don't think it's something I'm going to get out of.

Oct 25, 2017
I work myself into pits I can never get out of for reasons that are generally never clear or articulated and I never last more than a few days, if I ever get past D1. It's happened in every game I've been in so far, and I've been in like, five games, and I still have no idea how to fix it because the problem is incredibly opaque and boils down to "S-she just seems scummy!". If it's something everyone goes through I don't think it's something I'm going to get out of.

And now I feel bad. If it makes you feel any better, it's mostly just because we're in a weird spot where scum isn't super obvious.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And now I feel bad. If it makes you feel any better, it's mostly just because we're in a weird spot where scum isn't super obvious.

Like I said, it's something that's happened with every game I've been in, so it's not something that can be laid at your feet, per-se. It's a stumbling block I've never managed to get over and as a result I don't think I've ever had a good game.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
You had to use the worst second evolution in all of Pokemon to try and motivate someone? Disgusting.
xJ7Wh2.gif

Combusken says hi.
It does seem arbitrary and that's because it often is when people decide on scum leqns with feelings and then use logic to support them. You're going to jump out of that mess eventually the more you play, it's just that the process is a bit frustrating. All I can say is I hope you enjoy the process.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
kits, if I may, I will say that there is nothing in my potential scumread of you that is generated from feelings or anything else; it's a simple lack of content at the time. I had strong feelings about your predecessor's behavior and votes. I have nothing from you that is concrete, and that is the issue for me. I understand you are a replacement, but.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kits, if I may, I will say that there is nothing in my potential scumread of you that is generated from feelings or anything else; it's a simple lack of content at the time. I had strong feelings about your predecessor's behavior and votes. I have nothing from you that is concrete, and that is the issue for me. I understand you are a replacement, but.

Well, let me explain my lack of content: I just came from a game that was incredibly emotionally draining and have been stewing over to the point where I haven't really been mentally able to process this game's backlog, so I've been trying to contribute where I can in the present. I'm also a very hedgey person, so I don't tend to offer solid things unless I can really, truly get behind them.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if y'all want me to offer something solid: I think TheChuggernaut is the most scummy person, with Godfather coming second. The specific way they're triyng to drive the game and discourse feels like an attempt to whip Town their way without tipping their hand that that's what they're doing. It's hard for me to articulate why exactly it feels like that though.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
But if y'all want me to offer something solid: I think TheChuggernaut is the most scummy person, with Godfather coming second. The specific way they're triyng to drive the game and discourse feels like an attempt to whip Town their way without tipping their hand that that's what they're doing. It's hard for me to articulate why exactly it feels like that though.
Can you point out where they are trying to drive discourse? And with Godfather, how this isn't in character for him? I don't know if you can answer that or if you've played with him before, but if you show me what you're seeing, at least I can consider it, since I have.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017

I'm actually with you here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you point out where they are trying to drive discourse? And with Godfather, how this isn't in character for him? I don't know if you can answer that or if you've played with him before, but if you show me what you're seeing, at least I can consider it, since I have.

I haven't played with him before, I'll be back soon with some quotes to #Augment my #Reads

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Due to my role though I think Godfather is my number one...him voting me that early on felt like a way to get others to jump on my train quickly and easily. He saw the tides turning towards me and then blam. Vote. Easy train to get going.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Due to my role though I think Godfather is my number one...him voting me that early on felt like a way to get others to jump on my train quickly and easily. He saw the tides turning towards me and then blam. Vote. Easy train to get going.

Do you have reason to believe that Godfather knew what your role was? Like I said, I haven't had room in my head to process a whole game (more emotionally than as a matter of time), so you're going to have to help me out here.

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually be on board with a Godfather lynch. I just feel like there's more to that role then a double lynch. If you all really feel that strong about killing me, I will offer a one time deal where I will let you lynch me for the good of the town (I don't know how much good it'll do you though) I just really don't want to get to the last day and lose it because the other townie thinks I'm scum.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually with you here.

This is kind of like the AbBro situation, though - how do you square the double lynch power with the apparent roleblocker? Like you can have reads but they also have to align with concrete information in the thread.

Do you think he actually wasn't the double lyncher? Do you think he'd have two rb shots on top of that? Do you think there's two scum left?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Let me be clear; I think the double lynch power reads scummy as fuck but in the gamestate as it is? I don't see how it could be unless we are all very, very wrong.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Probably because I am ABSOLUTELY trying to drive town here. We have 3 people who are basically confirmed town. THREE! That's insane when we have 7 players. The problem is AB isn't really doing much but coasting as far as I can tell, Verelios is active, but not really driving towards any particular point yet,and Monkey has only had 1 Day phase to get you guys on track, and I'm pretty sure her thoughts line up pretty close to mine.

Meanwhile, we got people in here talking about guts and emotions and all this other dumb shit when there are HARD FACTS we can follow to a victory. I can only take so much of it before I lose patience and try to get the game moving.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because I am ABSOLUTELY trying to drive town here. We have 3 people who are basically confirmed town. THREE! That's insane when we have 7 players. The problem is AB isn't really doing much but coasting as far as I can tell, Verelios is active, but not really driving towards any particular point yet,and Monkey has only had 1 Day phase to get you guys on track, and I'm pretty sure her thoughts line up pretty close to mine.

Meanwhile, we got people in here talking about guts and emotions and all this other dumb shit when there are HARD FACTS we can follow to a victory. I can only take so much of it before I lose patience and try to get the game moving.
^^^^^^this is what I'm talking about
I would not expect him to be any other way, tbh.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Let me be clear; I think the double lynch power reads scummy as fuck but in the gamestate as it is? I don't see how it could be unless we are all very, very wrong.
This might sound stupid, and I know flavor is only flavor, I can't get out the feeling that there might still be a neutral running around. But how likely would a double lynch or role block power be for neutral?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damnit Monkey, extra lynches will almost always be bad for the scum team. They'd rather have no lynches, if possible. Double Lyncher itself is a rare role(it's usually the result of something like a princess death), but here's Governor, who can prevent a lynch:

Use and Power
Town Governors are frequently seen as Negative Utility, as stopping the lynch denies a flip to the majority of the Town. Their main use is in stopping the lynch at LyLo, hopefully catching quickhammering scum - but then, this is such a way of causing all of the living scum to out themselves that this tactic may be banned.

Mafia Governors are overpowered in normal circumstances for obvious reasons - they can delay the lynch of a scumpartner for a Day, getting the full benefits of having that partner alive for an extra Night. However, scum-side Governors only tend to appear in games where there are plenty of other ways to render someone dead aside from the lynch.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might sound stupid, and I know flavor is only flavor, I can't get out the feeling that there might still be a neutral running around. But how likely would a double lynch or role block power be for neutral?

Either of them are possible. Question is how do they win? They're obviously not a killing role. Nobody has been getting doused, or fruit vendored. If we have a neutral, I don't feel like they're anti-town.