• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, one of the things I care for the least in this new trilogy is how they've basically undone everything that was accomplished in the OT. Fucking hell they even undid Palpatine's defeat. In my head I just have to treat this shit as some kind of elseworlds story.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder that Star Wars is a dead franchise but it's the most talked about thing on Era.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're a fucking idiot OP

giphy.gif

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
That's getting butts in seats to be sure, but no matter how much they say it is, for me, the real ending to Star Wars is the end of Return of the Jedi. A dark villain redeemed, the Emperor and Empire thwarted, the heroes reunited and all together in the end...

I don't want to come off as a hater, but for me personally, that will always be the true ending to Star Wars.
Agreed. This sequel trilogy is unnecessary. They should have created a whole new story in a far galaxy, separate from the events of the OT. This is just a Disney cash grab, pure and simple.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah but he never got around to filming them and looks like for good reason.
It doesn't matter, he still basically did treatments or outlines for the films. No doubt he'd had these ideas sitting around for years. So the idea that the ST are fan fiction or completely independent from the creator of SW is false.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Real talk, one of the things I care for the least in this new trilogy is how they've basically undone everything that was accomplished in the OT. Fucking hell they even undid Palpatine's defeat. In my head I just have to treat this shit as some kind of elseworlds story.

When we heard his laugh in the first trailer I must have lughed for a good 5 minutes in my car.

I loved Force Awakens though, looking forward to this conclusion but have literally 0 expectations, especially after reading the spoilers.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
>galaxy-sized place to tell a story
>nope, there are no more stories, ever
Agreed. There's countless people and planets in this galaxy spanning civilization; the story has no end if we're supposed to believe that this is a thriving, wide spanning community. Let the Skywalker story end and move on to new characters.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter, he still basically did treatments or outlines for the films. No doubt he'd had these ideas sitting around for years. So the idea that the ST are fan fiction or completely independent from the creator of SW is false.
Plenty of writers and directors have general outlines for films. They also trash bin a lot of ideas too. There's no saying what George Lucas would have done because we all know he kind of makes shit up as things are being filmed.

Oct 28, 2017
Considering just how large Star Wars has become since 1983, Return of the Jedi is just not big enough send off for the Skywalkers.

The Last Jedi kind of felt like an ending in itself so I'm fascinated to see how they actually wrap things up.

I agree. The Last Jedi felt like the end of the saga and if it was then I would have been ok but knowing there was another movie coming, it kinda didn't work. But thinking about it now, if 9 really is the ending to every 8 movies (like Endgame was for 22 movies ) then maybe it will work.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of writers and directors have general outlines for films. They also trash bin a lot of ideas too. There's no saying what George Lucas would have done because we all know he kind of makes shit up as things are being filmed.

Didn't Lucas start making the early drafts for the sequels when he started considering selling Lucasfilm?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

OK, but that doesn't take away from how horrible they are. Using Lucas to defend the story isn't going to win anyone over he's been terrible at SW ever since the prequels and that's why he didn't make these and sold to Disney instead, its too bad they actually went ahead and decided to listen to his ideas going forward although I don't think they did with TLJ I don't think even Lucas liked any of what happened with that disaster.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
That's getting butts in seats to be sure, but no matter how much they say it is, for me, the real ending to Star Wars is the end of Return of the Jedi. A dark villain redeemed, the Emperor and Empire thwarted, the heroes reunited and all together in the end...

I don't want to come off as a hater, but for me personally, that will always be the true ending to Star Wars.

lol. That's very lame. sorry.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Two things.

I started watching the Star Wars movies for the first time two years ago and can't help but feel that I did it way too late, since the other trilogies are coming up and supposedly the original are ruined now.

And second, Episode IX has leaked spoilers already? I thought it would be a huge deal if that happened. D:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Luke was involved with the Rebels, had an X-Wing, had a formal rank and everything.

Not everyone can have the Force, but everyone can be a freedom fighter like Luke.
This isn't really a good idea, though. Rogue One kind of showed that. Being a protagonist in a generally sci-fi action adventure tends to make things a bit weird power wise. Rogue One featured a cast of some really skillful people, so skillful that they kind of are on par with force users. It cheapens what force users can do, which is why I feel like George Lucas ramped them up to absurd levels in the prequels or why Darth Vadar NEEDED to crush at the end of Rogue One just to differentiate. I don't mind seeing freedom fighters, but if they're doing the same feats as story wise more powerful people then I just shrug.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Agreed. This sequel trilogy is unnecessary. They should have created a whole new story in a far galaxy, separate from the events of the OT. This is just a Disney cash grab, pure and simple.

This is the real truth.

The ST is an unnecessary story. The OT already told this story mostly. The ST is just a way to bring Star Wars back to the public conscious.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Lucas start making the early drafts for the sequels when he started considering selling Lucasfilm?
I have no idea. All I know is the dude probably had pages and pages of "hmmm, this might be interesting" somewhere. He literally made shit up as he went in the prequels. They had sets built for story parts that weren't even written. I would not be surprised if he toyed around with the idea of Luke actually being a Jedi leader in some rebuilt Jedi organization. He is an unreliable source because he's clearly quite all over the place with his own work.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Two things.

I started watching the Star Wars movies for the first time two years ago and can't help but feel that I did it way too late, since the other trilogies are coming up and supposedly the original are ruined now.

And second, Episode IX has leaked spoilers already? I thought it would be a huge deal if that happened. D:

It's leaked already.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
it's more a "this time really, believe us, we're done milking the name" than "tune in next week to the epic finale of the skywalker saga"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nobody is ever really gone

Also 100% agree. The ST accomplished nothing but shit on the OT and retroactively made all of their accomplishments and characters worse. RoTj basically had the perfect ending to a trilogy. SHould have ended there.

Nov 23, 2017
OK, but that doesn't take away from how horrible they are. Using Lucas to defend the story isn't going to win anyone over he's been terrible at SW ever since the prequels and that's why he didn't make these and sold to Disney instead, its too bad they actually went ahead and decided to listen to his ideas going forward although I don't think they did with TLJ I don't think even Lucas liked any of what happened with that disaster.
Lol, the only post worst than OP's, which is tough feat to be sure.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really a good idea, though. Rogue One kind of showed that. Being a protagonist in a generally sci-fi action adventure tends to make things a bit weird power wise. Rogue One featured a cast of some really skillful people, so skillful that they kind of are on par with force users. It cheapens what force users can do, which is why I feel like George Lucas ramped them up to absurd levels in the prequels or why Darth Vadar NEEDED to crush at the end of Rogue One just to differentiate. I don't mind seeing freedom fighters, but if they're doing the same feats as story wise more powerful people then I just shrug.
I agree Poe's skills are kinda hax but I actually value his and others' soldiering skills than the Jedi. I value the alliance of planets forming past their differences rather than under the singular Jedi moral authority, which itself is kinda muddy.

A lightsaber is iconic but that's all that is.

Ship, weapons, and alien soldier designs are a good source of growth for future Star Wars. Controlling a cockpit for example is arguably more immersive than force pushes are.

Despite my dismissal of a new Force-exclusive club, I kinda want Jedi Starfighters to come back.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea. All I know is the dude probably had pages and pages of "hmmm, this might be interesting" somewhere. He literally made shit up as he went in the prequels. They had sets built for story parts that weren't even written. I would not be surprised if he toyed around with the idea of Luke actually being a Jedi leader in some rebuilt Jedi organization. He is an unreliable source because he's clearly quite all over the place with his own work.

well yeah, General Grevious was created because he needed a stand-in for Dooku because he had to kill him off early into ROTS

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will ever be the same...

For the first time...

History ends...

And begins again...

This Christmas...

So buy your tickets, now.

NOW, GODDAMMIT!

NOW!!!

charliemurphy_belowthewaste1.gif

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You were expecting them to all live happily ever after and not do a single interesting thing in their lives ever again like LOTR and realistically that's a good ending.

But a decision was made to make sequels 30 years past the original cast's prime and that ending is boring as fuck in that scenario. This trilogy had to happen for people to let go and allow the franchise to move on...60+ Mark Hamill pretending to be 10 years older than ROTJ and jumping around like Yoda just wouldn't work.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering just how large Star Wars has become since 1983, Return of the Jedi is just not big enough send off for the Skywalkers.

I agree. The Last Jedi felt like the end of the saga and if it was then I would have been ok but knowing there was another movie coming, it kinda didn't work. But thinking about it now, if 9 really is the ending to every 8 movies (like Endgame was for 22 movies ) then maybe it will work.

Yep I honestly have no freaking idea what this one is about since Rian Johnson subverted the formula by killing off Snoke in the second act of the second film when everyone expected that wouldn't happen till the third movie.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I don't think Disney throwing out the entire EU was the best option... they should've worked around it... but too late now.
Ehhh the EU was a convoluted mess that covered so much it would be almost impossible to work around. Hell, it seems like it was difficult for a lot of the writers because there are so many contradictions and retellings of stories in the EU