• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any room to put a movie up like this for $40 to rent or something. Encourage people to watch it together, it's like the cost of a ticket? I bet "Amazon Prime Cinema."

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any room to put a movie up like this for $40 to rent or something. Encourage people to watch it together, it's like the cost of a ticket? I bet "Amazon Prime Cinema."

No, the second that happens, a high quality digital copy is out there for people to pirate.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just delay the movie WB. This kind of movie should be seen on a theater.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Delay that shit, I want to watch it on theaters and I know my sorry ass would give in and rent it on VOD if it were available there first.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Just delay the movie WB. This kind of movie should be seen on a theater.
Delay that shit, I want to watch it on theaters and I know my sorry ass would give in and rent it on VOD if it were available there first.
www.indiewire.com

Warner Bros. Confirms ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Will Go to Theaters, Not Streaming

Despite reports to the contrary, Warner Bros. confirmed to IndieWire that Patty Jenkins' DC tentpole will get a full theatrical bow.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
Just delay it. People will be queuing up to go out when this is all over.

Yeah to fuck and socialize and go to the beach. Some B-Tier movie after everyone has watched everything over the next 3 months? I dunno.

I'll watch it, but the third act of the first movie sucked shit. And I saw it at Cineplex. Those places were already dirty as hell, no way I'm going there for this franchise again either way, so VOD is more likely to get my money regardless.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to fuck and socialize and go to the beach. Some B-Tier movie after everyone has watched everything over the next 3 months? I dunno.

I'll watch it, but the third act of the first movie sucked shit. And I saw it at Cineplex. Those places were already dirty as hell, no way I'm going there for this franchise again either way, so VOD is more likely to get my money regardless.
I agree about the third act, but that was clearly a Snyder special. Seeing as he's not involved, I have high hopes for WW1984 to smash it out of the park.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Would be a bad move. They can just delay it, but maybe they won't have to, this might be contained enough by June.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Title thread needs to change. WB already debunked the rumors saying it will release in theaters.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That theaters reopen in a few months and people flock back to them is a pretty optimistic viewpoint.

I think the industry may need to consider different business models post-coronavirus lockdowns, possibly keeping lower than max occupancy per screen even after reopening. Even if theaters reopen there may be social responses of people still using social distancing out of concern and avoiding very large gatherings.

Not to mention the possibility of the economy going into a recession/depression. I feel like society won't come back the same way it was before, as sad as this is going to be for us.

Oct 26, 2017
Coordinate through streaming services instead to rent it, although pirating may make that less effective than striking a deal with Netflix or something

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
This film has a budget of $200M. Combined with advertising of $100M-$250M. You'd have to gross like $600M or something to break even. That seems unlikely on VOD.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Americans will initially balk at a $40 rental even if taking the fam would cost more than that. I think it will just feel wrong at least until people get used to it. Or maybe they can market well as huge ppv event. I feel really bad for folks who made great summer movies this year because it'll never be the same measure of relative success.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think WB is likely to postpone to later in the summer, even if things are better by June, if only to give the marketing enough runway to make an impact.

That theaters reopen in a few months and people flock back to them is a pretty optimistic viewpoint.

I think the industry may need to consider different business models post-coronavirus lockdowns, possibly keeping lower than max occupancy per screen even after reopening. Even if theaters reopen there may be social responses of people still using social distancing out of concern and avoiding very large gatherings.

Not to mention the possibility of the economy going into a recession/depression. I feel like society won't come back the same way it was before, as sad as this is going to be for us.
I was reading today that China plans to reopen movie theaters at the end of next month, but will be limiting people to every other seat and I think also every other row. I could see theaters imposing similar attendance requirements when they first start reopening. I think that's more likely than people continuing to voluntarily practice social distancing en masse, haha.

and yes the economy is definitely heading into a recession. But the last time we had a recession were the same years The Dark Knight and Avatar came out. People went to see movies during the Great Depression. Tough economic times don't necessarily precipitate people staying away from movie theaters.

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there will be another billion dollar movie for a while. People will be scared to go to theaters.

Idk about that. At the restaurant i worked last weekend we only saw a 30% drop right after all that shit happened last week. That's why we're in shutdown country wide, people don't listen, they want to live their life no matter what.

I really think things will rebound fast. Especially if the quick acting by the world limits death. Then the narrative will be "look only a couple people died, there was never anything to worry about"

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think WB is likely to postpone to later in the summer, even if things are better by June, if only to give the marketing enough runway to make an impact.

I was reading today that China plans to reopen movie theaters at the end of next month, but will be limiting people to every other seat and I think also every other row. I could see theaters imposing similar attendance requirements when they first start reopening. I think that's more likely than people continuing to voluntary practice social distancing en masse, haha.

and yes the economy is definitely heading into a recession. But the last time we had a recession were the same years The Dark Knight and Avatar came out. People went to see movies during the Great Depression. Tough economic times don't necessarily precipitate people staying away from movie theaters.

Ah, yeah that's a good point in regards to '08's recession. Hopefully theaters take some precautions then like in China with seating and cleaning once they resume operations.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm more likely to watch this movie and any other movie at theater prices from the comfort of my home than in an actual theater, and I'm someone who goes to see movies all the time. I say do it!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would be the perfect time for the re-emergence of the Drive-in Theater. Doubt it'll ever happen, but fun to dream.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People will avoid going to the cinema for a long time i feel. This is a huge crisis for the industry.

Nah, I think PhilosopherDirtBike is right. However many weeks of being isolated is going to create a LOT of pent out demand to just get out and do things with friends and family that we haven't been able to physically contact. While the movie theater business may well be done for, for those first few weeks after we are given the all clear to get out of our homes again, its gonna be INSANE I think...

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would just delay it. People will be begging to see a big movie in the theaters after this is over with.

I think Wonder Woman deserves better personally.