• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a great time for employees of Netflix to continue to protest and unionize!

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'm okay if Netflix goes away. Nothing on there I care about anymore anyway. Thankful I finished bojack already

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is making so many dumb moves recently.
Hard for me to get invested in any new series they are pushing right now and in the near future.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on subbing back in for Stranger Things, not happening now.

Way to go, Netflix.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Company is imploding before our eyes. I can't remember the last time a company imploded so quickly.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So on top of their decline, they are asking people to leave the company. Netflix has a lot of talent that other companies would have no problems taking. So whoever is making these decision will end up destroying the rest of the company. The irony of it all is that Netflix is following the footsteps of Blockbuster. Arrogance and mismanagement is what got Blockbuster. Now Netflix is doing the same.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, they want this. Make people leave instead of paying redundancy. It's the oldest trick in the cost cutting book.

It happened to me personally years ago. The company hired an axe man to get rid of people - he spent a year making peoples lives miserable, and 30/50 people had left already when they had announced layoffs.
Spot on.

I worked at a company that wanted to reduce head count (it was starting to fail), so they laid off the maximum number they could without triggering the WARN act. They then told the rest of us we may not have jobs in 60 days. Most of us left, saving them a ton in severance.

Oct 25, 2017
This is on brand for Netflix's office culture. They're notoriously known for, and even open about, hire fast and fire fast.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Most companies will probably eventually say/feel this, not gonna hate on them to be honest. Doesn't matter what the issues may be, can't keep everyone happy and that's just a fact of life.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
The Netflix Culture memo includes a new section called "Artistic Expression," which declares the streamer will not "censor specific artists or voices" even if employees consider the content "harmful."

I take some issue with this justification, if only because of the notable example of 13 Reasons Why. I'm not advocating for depictions of self-harm, but if you're going with "Artistic Expression" as a defense, it seems hypocritical to have scenes edited out BY NETFLIX in one series and be like "if you ain't like Chappelle's trans jokes, bitch leave cause we ain't doing shit."

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a controlled layoff to me have some stance so dumb that they want people to quit esp when they are in some trouble already. But don't want to have an actual layoff.

Talka

Oct 29, 2017
Let's be clear: Netflix did not say employees should quit if they're offended by its content. They said employees may wish to quit if they find it hard to support content they find harmful.

It's a subtle difference, but a fair one. For me personally, there's lots of content on Netflix I find offensive. But do I object to Netflix hosting that content? Not necessarily.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My experience at almost every job, the vast majority are literally scared to do anything if there's risk of being fired. Not many will resign.

The CEO, in general, isn't wrong. Don't like something your job is doing? Quit.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Just having seen heartstopper, I thought this thread would be the absolute opposite of what it turned out to be ...

Shameful shit right there!

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This is shitty. I'm not sure if anything's changed recently, but they've paid insanely high salaries in the past. I'm sure a few people will leave, but it's hard for most people to take a salary cut.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
How stupid can you be to be part of high management of a FAANG and not know that this is essentially giving every other tech company one of the best chances of their lives

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
"We won't censor the artists we host but our employees should shut the fuck up and stop complaining."

YaGaMi

Oct 29, 2017
I think Netflix want people to resign. Cutting costs like they are with shows. Lol

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Yeah seriously. I really just come for their original kdramas they got cause I know at least most of them are just one and done seasons.
breaking-bad-bro-fist.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't think it's bold in as much as they know their employees have limited comparable options. More of a dick move, to be honest.

I'd imagine with all the different streaming services there'd be plenty of openings for people with experience. Like, Disney+ is only just about to be at a place where they're getting out new Marvel/Star Wars stuff every week and the Disney Animation/Pixar originals are years away. HBO Max hasn't even gotten to their DC live action stuff outside of Peacemaker. Everyone else seems to be expending at Netflix's expense.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'd imagine with all the different streaming services there'd be plenty of openings for people with experience. Like, Disney+ is only just about to be at a place where they're getting out new Marvel/Star Wars stuff every week and the Disney Animation/Pixar originals are years away. HBO Max hasn't even gotten to their DC live action stuff outside of Peacemaker. Everyone else seems to be expending at Netflix's expense.
Basically no one pays their employees what Netflix does. Certainly not Disney, WBD, or even Amazon.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, they want this. Make people leave instead of paying redundancy. It's the oldest trick in the cost cutting book.

It happened to me personally years ago. The company hired an axe man to get rid of people - he spent a year making peoples lives miserable, and 30/50 people had left already when they had announced layoffs.

Yeah I was about to say, the way Netflix seems to be speedrunning a queue of bad decisions feels like some form of deliberate sabotage.

Course, Hanlon's Razor suggests the current Netflix management simply are incredibly stupid and/or incompetent; but as of now I have reservations.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
The film preservationist in me wants netflix to die a messy death. I'm glad they're being exposed as the bunch of greedy idiots they truly are.