• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
finance.yahoo.com

These U.S. cities are best positioned to bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic, according to Moody's

Moody’s Analytics analyzed U.S. metro areas capabilities for a strong recovery post-coronavirus using two primary factors: population density and educational attainment.

Moody's Analytics analyzed U.S. metro areas capabilities for a strong recovery post-coronavirus using two primary factors: population density and educational attainment.

"The most dynamic recoveries may well bypass traditional powerhouses and take place instead in areas that [weren't] poised to lead the way in 2020 before everything changed," wrote Adam Kamins, senior regional economist at Moody's Analytics.

The report examined the top 100 metro areas in the U.S. The metros poised to recover quickly based on the analysis included San Jose, California; Durham, North Carolina; Austin, Texas; Seattle; and Minneapolis.

These cities appear above the best-fit line in the regression analysis below, and lean towards the top left.

8e700740-9088-11ea-bfff-d49e4d43e075

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to be in DC. I feel for so many people in so many hard hit cities at the end of all this.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Seattle isn't on here since it's the original epicenter of the disease.
EDIT: Looks like it's included it's just not labeled in the graphic so there's no way to know which one it is

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a terrible chart as others have pointed out and I also think it's general proposition is too simple to be valid. It ignores a ton of other variables that could be equally important (geographic isolation, current COVID impact, state and local government support, biggest industries, age of population, poverty levels, access to health insurance, etc.)

For example, a city like Orlando could rebound quickly due to relatively limited cases and IF the theme parks and conventions come back soon. If the Latter doesn't happen and there is a huge fall surge as expected, the city will struggle due to the high poverty rates and limited access to health insurance.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
Live in San Jose so let's see how this plays out. Too many people in certain pockets of California saying to open up early.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone take Moody's seriously is beyond me, especially in areas that are outside their so called expertise.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to me it looks just as if they chose two arbitrary variables and made a scatter chart. but they didn't really do any of the work required to show why the selected variables are relevant. densely populated areas will be considered more risky for future pandemics? i don't buy it
I think they may be considering right now as "post-pandemic" and talking about the process of opening back up.

I think we can all agree that this is all fairly useless.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This article is awful and saying nothing lol. It's drastically oversimplifying the challenges and feels like they just arbitrarily chose two variables without clearly explaining why they're the most important ones. Honestly makes me suspect that the analytics company has some sort of conflict of interest and specifically chose variables that would bolster or hurt certain cities. Like maybe the owners have property in some of the cities ranked near the top or something