• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017

So far, in terms of unlocalized games, they've shown off:

1. Tales of Phantasia PS1
2. Tales of Destiny Remake
3. Tales of Destiny 2
4. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 and 3

and IIRC technically 5. Tales of Legendia for certain regions in the world, right?

Like WHAT'S THE POINT

There's no way this is their way of leading up to re-releases that'd be way too good to be true

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry.

Eventually when Nintendo gets around to including GBA games on the Switch Bamco will make sure to bring Phantasia GBA.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me the destiny ps2 game straight into my veins

I want to play it but I've read that the Destiny remake did a number on some of the characters and made them more tropey.

Leon Magnus was a big jerk who betrayed people he didn't particularly like and then in the remake he sacrificed himself to save them at the world's most dramatic elevator.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get Arise before we get localizations at this point, like holy shit, just a crumb

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the games still exist even if they wasn't localised. They're still part of the series history.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to play it but I've read that the Destiny remake did a number on some of the characters and made them more tropey.

Leon Magnus was a big jerk who betrayed people he didn't particularly like and then in the remake he sacrificed himself to save them at the world's most dramatic elevator.
LOL Im fine with that Ive played the original story enough at this point to over look silly stuff like that. I just want it for how good it looks

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What's real weird about these is that they have PEGI ratings. I assume it's just a legal thing to cover their backs but still, it's a bit odd.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like this series just died. There was a new Tales game very now and then since PS1 days and now we wait for Arise since forever.
Remasters are the current shit in the industry, so maybe the chances aren't that bad that we get some ports and localizations.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway what they should actually do is re-release Eternia, the best Tales game.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
My first Tales was Berseria and even though I really wasn't feeling the battle system, the story was good enough to get me interested in playing the rest. Some sort of package with the older games would be perfect for someone like me.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Anyway what they should actually do is re-release Eternia, the best Tales game.
I enjoyed what I played of it but the, um, backstepping(?) in combat felt a little odd, the story seemed really uninteresting, and I hate the fact that it basically only has an opening anime cutscene (and an ending cutscene that's so short and useless that it doesn't count).

My first Tales was Berseria and even though I really wasn't feeling the battle system, the story was good enough to get me interested in playing the rest. Some sort of package with the older games would be perfect for someone like me.

In all honesty I didn't like Berseria's battle system at all. The stun/weakness system really kind of killed it for me.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about the Destiny video is that they even refer to the antagonist as the name he had in the JP version, when the original localization changed it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
In all honesty I didn't like Berseria's battle system at all. The stun/weakness system really kind of killed it for me.
I switched it to easy around half way through the game cause I was tired of it. I wasn't even having issues with it on normal. It just felt like I was button mashing my way through it anyway so I figured changing it to easy mode would make it less tedious. To be honest, changing it to easy didn't even feel like it made it easier. It felt exactly the same lol. I just figured I was playing the game wrong or something.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'll settle for Symphonia HD on Switch.

EDIT: And PS4/5 and Xbox lol, I somehow forgot it never came there either.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping my hopes up about Destiny Director's Cut for so long, it has to happen someday.
I bet they never released it because they think the West don't like 2D Tales of or something dumb, would explain Heart R.

Oct 30, 2017
They should at less release the ones who were already localized in HD like Legendia.

Anyhow, show us Arise again and announce an official PS5 version in 4K please.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wish we would at least get a collection of the older games in the series that were released in English, but aren't easily available to play nowadays. Stuff like Destiny and - god forbid - a port of Phantasia that 1) doesn't suck, 2) hasn't been rebalanced to encourage microtransactions, 3) is playable offline, and 4) uses the localization from the iOS/Android version.

But yeah, they really need to just work on getting modern versions of all the mainline games playable in non-Japanese languages. Videos like this are bizarre when you consider that so many of the older games never really left Japan.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
At least they are acknowledging the past entries and the fact that the Tales fanbase has always been interested in unlocalized games, has made efforts to fully translate and localize some of the titles and is supportive of the Japanese releases.

It would be weirded for them to celebrate the franchise and ignore some very beloved titles. Tales of Crestoria has content from these titles too anyway, so the most recent fans are also familiar with some of these characters and worlds.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I wish we would at least get a collection of the older games in the series that were released in English, but aren't easily available to play nowadays. Stuff like Destiny and - god forbid - a port of Phantasia that 1) doesn't suck, 2) hasn't been rebalanced to encourage microtransactions, 3) is playable offline, and 4) uses the localization from the iOS/Android version.

But yeah, they really need to just work on getting modern versions of all the mainline games playable in non-Japanese languages. Videos like this are bizarre when you consider that so many of the older games never really left Japan.
Like I don't even care if they don't get dubbed

I just want them

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta keep the faith. Surely Bamco will deliver
Never ever

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
These videos remind me when Nintendo shows footage of the un-localized Fire Emblem games. It is like dangling a carrot to something that may never happen, but fans really want to happen.

Oct 26, 2017
QLOC could have a whole year or two of work just doing Tales of ports. Berseria on Switch is literally years overdue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think makes it the best Tales of game? I thought it was mediocre in nearly every aspect and I struggle to think of anything is does better than any other mainline Tales title.

It's where Tales took the basic combat of Phantasia and Destiny and made it lickety split fast without losing the core simple fun of an RPG that plays like a fighting game.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Bamco listening to my prayers. I want all the Tales of games on Switch. Will double dip for all of them for sure

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play Destiny Remake. I also wish they ported Abyss to a newer console.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
They really did taunt the primarily English-speaking fanbase with those videos. Lol

Is the only version of Tales of Phantasia that's officially released in the west still the GBA version?

Oct 26, 2017
They really did taunt the primarily English-speaking fanbase with those videos. Lol

Is the only version of Tales of Phantasia that's officially released in the west still the GBA version?
Could be Nintendo owning the localization and publishing rights? Then again Symphonia PS3 made it over, but did it retain the dub? It was based on the PS2 version with added content, were those not voiced?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Now that just makes me wish we had gotten Tales of Rebirth localized here way back when.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Could be Nintendo owning the localization and publishing rights? Then again Symphonia PS3 made it over, but did it retain the dub? It was based on the PS2 version with added content, were those not voiced?

They released the PS1 version of ToP on iphones/Android like 3 or 4 years ago. It had the nice animated opening and everything. I remember playing it until I realized that this version was designed for you to pay up for, like, everything. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I just don't understand why they only remastered Vesperia when they could have easily re-released Graces, Xillia1&2, Zestiria and Berseria on Switch for quick money.

I also want Destiny 1&2 and Eternia/Rebirth of course but the lack of the ones above is a mystery.