• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There has been nothing but teasing going on for the past few weeks. They're teasing every single thing. Tease one big event that has multiple announcements if you're going to tease. Don't keep teasing every bit of news....some surprise announcements would be great.
You need to announce that a stream is going to happen. The whole point of bundling these announcements under one brand is to have a consistent audience for each reveal - and that means at least announcing that something is gonna be revealed on an upcoming date.

The fans are the ones that blow these events out of proportion.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see how it goes but I won't lie, I loved coming to Era and discovering like 5-10 different announcements that I'm excited about all on the front page.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing will replace the sheer volume of games you get at E3. It really is the Olympic Games of gaming.

Everybody bringing their biggest guns and, if there's a dud, it doesn't matter, because another game is around the corner.

Drawing it out like this means it is that much harder to market.

I mean, what was Geoff supposed to do about today? Provide a hype-o-meter and grade it out of 10? With a console reveal being 10? That's insane. Who would let Geoff show off their game if he previewed the reveal by grading it as as 5/10 hype reveal?

" Look guys, temper your expectations. it's a remaster".

IX showed that even a showing of consistently strong software can let people feeling dissaponted. But if that same episode was book-ended by a Fable reveal and Halo Infinite gameplay, people would be saying it was a show for the ages. Utter madness.

Contrary to some others, I think the summer so far, albeit this short segment of it, has already shown why E3 is so important.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You need to announce that a stream is going to happen. The whole point of bundling these announcements under one brand is to have a consistent audience for each reveal - and that means at least announcing that something is gonna be revealed on an upcoming date.

The fans are the ones that blow these events out of proportion.
They're creating hype by teasing reveals. Everything is going to be a reveal...large and small...and trying to have each one equally hyped just isn't the way to go.

It doesn't event need to be a stream. You can still have a reveal and still brand it under the Summer thing. Save the streaming for multiple announcements.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I disagree. I like the little spike of announcements. Also takes off the expectations of E3 which are only ever disappointing since 2016.

Also people here are really over estimating the amount of killer announcements in a given e3.

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
It's a better opportunity for devs because it gives more attention To titles that would be lose in the e3 shuffle. Imo it's silly to complain about announcements that don't interest you because while that's a momentary bummer it does interest someone else.

so you rather force all announcements into a 5 day period where many good ones are lost, that you don't even notice, but because you may end up noticing these now and being disappointed (while others and the devs are thrilled) it's somehow worse? Maybe for you but it's better for all involved. Not everyone game/announcement is for everyone of us and that's fine imo.

How am I supposed to know which announcements to get excited for, and which announcements to ignore beforehand though? The whole issue is that all these announcements get announced without actually giving us any idea about which games are gonna be shown.

Keighly could have said he was excited to announce that he would be hosting an event today featuring a a remaster of some beloved skateboarding games or something. He didn't though. He announced that there was gonna be a "SGF Special Event" for a "SPECIAL SHOWCASE EVENT".

When I see hype tweets like that, should I just open my third eye, look into the future and go "oh that's not for me" and move on?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Nothing will replace the sheer volume of games you get at E3. It really is the Olympic Games of gaming.

Everybody bringing their biggest guns and, if there's a dud, it doesn't matter, because another game is around the corner.

Drawing it out like this means it is that much harder to market.

I mean, what was Geoff supposed to do about today? Provide a hype-o-meter and grade it out of 10? With a console reveal being 10? That's insane. Who would let Geoff show off their game if he previewed the reveal by grading it as as 5/10 hype reveal?

" Look guys, temper your expectations. it's a remaster".

IX showed that even a showing of consistently strong software can let people feeling dissaponted. But if that same episode was book-ended by a Fable reveal and Halo Infinite gameplay, people would be saying it was a show for the ages. Utter madness.

Contrary to some others, I think the summer so far, albeit this short segment of it, has already shown why E3 is so important.

I feel like it's important to end those expectations, though. Unfortunately the games industry is largely bad about teaching people anything about it.

How am I supposed to know which announcements to get excited for, and which announcements to ignore beforehand though? The whole issue is that all these announcements get announced without actually giving us any idea about which games are gonna be shown.

Keighly could have said he was excited to announce that he would be hosting an event today featuring a a remaster of some beloved skateboarding games or something. He didn't though. He announced that there was gonna be a "SGF Special Event" for a "SPECIAL SHOWCASE EVENT".

When I see hype tweets like that, should I just open my third eye, look into the future, and go "oh yeah, not for me" and move on?

You wait for it to be announced, tune in if you have the time, then if it's something cool that you like you get excited about it and talk to your friends.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We haven't had a single big stream yet, though, and we have at least a few confirmed: Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA.

Chill.

Aug 13, 2019
They just need to stop hyping up these announcements. So far they've set expectations far higher than what they're going to deliver. No countdowns. No "Gaming Changes Today". Suprise announcements would work out far better.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think hyping up single game reveals is the best idea, unless said game is of gigantic appeal and we can pretty much guess what it will be (e.g. Rockstar announcing RDR2 in the way they did back in 2017). But I don't really see the problem with the digital events we're getting being spread out. Yes, it's not ideal like E3's concentrated mass was, but if you know you're interested in Ubisoft games, watch their event. If you like PlayStation, watch their event. If the PlayStation event is just individual announcements at a one per week rate, then sure that'll suck, but why would it be that?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's awful. This drip feed of every little piece of information is just annoying. It benefits the marketing department and no one else.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
It is very disappoint to me so far and none of them actually deliver and tracking them are very painful.

I could say i miss E3 week. at least you can get hype, bring in some good meal (possibly vacation leave) and enjoy. Most of time something will hit on you during event.

it is more disappoint that this happen on console launch year too which suppose to be the most hype event in years.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

When I see hype tweets like that, should I just open my third eye, look into the future, and go "oh yeah, not for me" and move on?
...what? Just take the announcements as they come and then judge if they're for you or not.

Man, some of you folks in here are a foot stomp away from a "this wasn't for me!" tantrum.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They just need to stop hyping up these announcements. So far they've set expectations far higher than what they're going to deliver. No countdowns. No "Gaming Changes Today". Suprise announcements would work out far better.
Exactly. You just can't hype and tease every announcement to the same degree without a lot of disappointment.

But then again you can't de-hype a specific announcement/reveal of a fame. Which is why they just need to bundle up a couple of announcements if they want to live stream.

Oct 25, 2017
What you're forgetting is that the expectations are set by the publishers, they want people to be constantly excited about their announcement, otherwise they wouldn't be teasing everything all the time and just announce what they need to announce. People should take that into account and take a set back but I don't really feel like putting the blame solely on people is quite accurate.

Of course they do, they want your money. That's why preorders are available right after announcement.
That doesn't mean you have to buy into it. Stop getting up early or staying up late for countdowns and streams, stop spending days or weeks
discussing a 3 second video or single image on forums and social media. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

You can check sites for the news later in the day, the announcement isn't going anywhere.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had a single big stream yet, though, and we have at least a few confirmed: Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA.

Chill.
The fun of it was having all those big announcements and reveals within the span of a few days. For everything to be spread out over weeks and months is a good deal less interesting.

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
In the end I think I'll much rather a ton of game announcements both big and small, spread out across a larger period of time. E3 was a blast of items in few day span then a huge drought. This way theres more of a spread to the excitement, and more games get coverage.

Today's THPS+ would've been lumped in with a Call of Duty and some other giant announcements, and gotten 2 minutes max of excitement before the buffet continued, at a normal E3.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

When I see hype tweets like that, should I just open my third eye, look into the future and go "oh that's not for me" and move on?

GUESS THE FUCK WHAT? TUNE IN FOR THE GAME THAT GOT ANNOUNCED AND THAT THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING TO YOU AND THEN YOU CAN DISCUSS WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT IT!!!!

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whilst it could possibly be 'good for the developers' I think the thing that has to be remembered here is that taking up so much of your audience's mindspace so often can definitely lead to apathy in the end.

Like today's announcement. You see it on Twitter and think "I'm going to watch that." So you:
1) Find out when it is
2) Find out where to watch it
3) Find a way to fit watching it into your schedule (and if you can't get disappointed that you won't be able to watch it live)
4) Tune in at a specific time
5) Be pre-disappointed lest you be called a "delusional fanboy."

Over and over again, and it seems that for many it's been a 100% disappointment rate so far. However with E3 you could have all of those steps (excluding 5) completed in a short time-span; you could plan parties, buy a ton of snacks, take some days off work, and just generally get in the 'mood' of the season. Right now you have to be tuned in and waiting for announcements over a period of god-knows-how-many months, and you have no clue whether those announcements are going to excite or not if you're not if you don't basically spoil them for yourselves by following various industry Twitter accounts.

Basically the amount of 'labour' that one must do to watch and get hyped for E3 is much, much less than the 'labour' one has to do to keep track of, set the expectations of, and then watch all these tiny little 'events'. I can definitely see people getting bored of that, and perhaps even becoming resentful after a while which could lead to the opposite effect on 'smaller' games. There's this prevailing thought on Era that everyone is willing to "follow the news" and "temper expectations" and "take things as they come," which, frankly, is a ridiculous notion to me when we're talking about game announcements.

Last edited:

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
You wait for it to be announced, tune in if you have the time, then if it's something cool that you like you get excited about it and talk to your friends.

So when Xbox tweeted that their May 7th event was gonna change the game. It's my fault for getting excited and then dissapointed?

GUESS THE FUCK WHAT? TUNE IN FOR THE GAME THAT GOT ANNOUNCED AND THAT THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING TO YOU AND THEN YOU CAN DISCUSS WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT IT!!!!

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!!

Why are you yelling in letters?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i know this whole thing is a necessity due to covid, but it's. just. less. fun this way.

hope we go back to a traditional e3 week next year

Oct 27, 2017
It means that the short period of time after every announcement or short presentation has the potential to be a Giant Bomb Night 3, but it hasn't happened at all to this point.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
8VxTIUB.png

That's fine.

We can survive without E3.

Its expendable as it is anyways
Also, Hype culture can fucking die anyways

Pessimism is the way to go nowadays.
Also, those scattered events help give more room for much smaller games that no one cares about because they're not AAA.

But yes, AAA rules. Indie drools. Blah blah blah

Let's face the reality: Indie and AA games are inherently better than AAA in every way
And like typical ERA, you're gonna act like its gonna be the death of gaming
E3 will never return and we'll better off without it
Hype culture must be eradicated at all costs

To not do so is a fool's gambit

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!!
CAUSE YOU ALL PISS ME OFF!!!!

ueLxvtv.png

hahaha hype trains goes cho cho

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Whilst it could possibly be 'good for the developers' I think the thing that has to be remembered here is that taking up so much of your audience's mindspace so often can definitely lead to apathy in the end.

Like today's announcement. You see it on Twitter and think "I'm going to watch that." So you:
1) Find out when it is
2) Find out where to watch it
3) Base that day around it
4) Tune in at a specific time
5) Be pre-disappointed lest you be called a "delusional fanboy."

Over and over again, and it seems that for many it's been a 100% disappointment rate so far. However with E3 you could have all of those steps (excluding 5) completed in a short time-span; you could plan parties, buy a ton of snacks, take some days off work, and just generally get in the 'mood' of the season. Right now you have to be tuned in and waiting for announcements over a period of god-knows-how-many months, and you have no clue whether those announcements are going to excite or not if you're not if you don't basically spoil them for yourselves by following various industry Twitter accounts.

Basically the amount of 'labour' that one must do to watch and get hyped for E3 is much, much less than the 'labour' one has to do to keep track of, set the expectations of, and then watch all these tiny little 'events'. I can definitely see people getting bored of that, and perhaps even becoming resentful after a while which could lead to the opposite effect on 'smaller' games.
"Base that day around it"

...I'm sorry, what???

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Geoff managing expectations and then the reveal being THPS 1 + 2 remaster is crazy to me because it's absolutely something to get hyped about. You're overstating the importance of E3 a month before it would even have happened.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!!
If the livestream is literally for the game's first reveal...then how is someone supposed to know if it's something they are interested in?

(not talking about me specifically but I can def understand the frustration).

Also, you need to cool off lol

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
Geoff managing expectations and then the reveal being THPS 1 + 2 remaster is crazy to me because it's absolutely something to get hyped about. You're overstating the importance of E3 a month before it would even have happened.

Honestly I don't get why he wouldn't just announce that he had a remaster of some beloved skateboarding games to show. People that don't care would not pay attention. And people that do care would get hype as hell.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Hard disagree. I appreciate the little bursts of news that are coming day by day. Life is pretty boring now anyhow and I appreciate smaller announcements getting the spotlight.

You're overstating the importance of E3 a month before it would even have happened.

This, a thousand times over. Plus, there should be an expected delay in expectations due to the global situation.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Honestly I don't get why he wouldn't just announce that he had a remaster of some beloved skateboarding games to show. People that don't care would not pay attention. And people that do care would get hype as hell.

Yup, for all the people whining about people expressing their apathy/disappointment - the solution in some of these cases is more transparency surrounding what's going to be announced. Yes some people have unrealistic expectations but it isn't hard to temper some of the expectations in the initial tweet.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
It's also going to hurt the poor games that get revealed. If the event last week, and the reveal today were sprinkled in E3, fans would love it and non fans wouldn't take notice.....but now with all eyes on every single drop feed of a hyped reveal, expectations will be high and disappointment is bound to hit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If you have to shuffle your entire calendar to fit a streamed two minute trailer - that is on you.

What?

Honestly I'm surprised that such a notion is so confusing to people.

A live-streamed event, no matter how big, requires that you base your day around it in some way whether big or small. That doesn't mean "shuffling your entire calendar around" or anything like that, but it does mean that you might have to wake up earlier, or take a break from work, or take a day off, or anything small like that. It's just another step in the process to 'watching the event' that has to be repeated more the more 'events' there are.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer this set up in many regards - everything gets a fair shake, it's much easier to digest info, and you may uncover games you might have written off otherwise. I am super excited for Scarlet Nexus but I probably wouldn't have cared about it if it were just one of many games in a bombastic blow-out.

I just think they need to fix up the messaging when it comes to hyping things up. Either have a bunch of big announcements at once (essentially moving your E3 presentation to another day entirely), or outline what'll be shown more specifically than "it's a mystery game~~~" List publishers and developers to set expectations.

The Inside Xbox stream was basically half of what would have been their E3 showing, with the first party half coming in July. In the future I imagine they'll go back to sandwiching those together if they skip E3 again because that was a dreadful idea.
This may get lost in the conversation, but yes I absolutely agree with this! From their presser I was pumped from The Ascent and Bright Memory Infinite and Scarlet Nexus. Had this been part of E3, with other, bigger games being blitzed out, I may have forgotten about them. Now, I've had some time to look them up and learn more about if they interest me or not.
Again, I see that there won't be the usual "Let's all get hyped for 1 week" attitude, but I kind of like it this way. It allows for smaller budget games to shine as well.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Because you do not have to "base your day" around it. That's silly.

So you don't have any responsibilities or plans, then? Yours days are completely empty all the time and you can drop everything at any moment to watch a livestream?

Because if not then I honestly can't see how you'd think the notion of "changing your plans to accomodate watching a livestream," is "silly."

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because you do not have to "base your day" around it. That's silly.
They're just saying that you "have to make time for it"...not that you have to base your whole entire day around it literally. Some ppl just don't want their time wasted by something that they're not sure that they're interested in.

This is only if they choose to watch it. But that's the problem, these streams will be hyped and teased to make you want to watch them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Because there's still an intentionality to revealing the game at a certain time. Everybody knew the Tony Hawk remasters were coming - you can't just say you're revealing a skating game remaster and assume people won't figure it out.

What?

Honestly I'm surprised that such a notion is so confusing to people.

A live-streamed event, no matter how big, requires that you base your day around it in some way whether big or small. That doesn't mean "shuffling your entire calendar around" or anything like that, but it does mean that you might have to wake up earlier, or take a break from work, or take a day off, or anything small like that. It's just another step in the process to 'watching the event' that has to be repeated more the more 'events' there are.
It's just the most absurd possible way of phrasing "I'm planning to do something". Your plans for dinner tonight have not been impacted by a 9am trailer drop, unless you were planning on making a Batman-themed feast that now needs to be Tony Hawk-themed.

I planned to watch this stream today. It meant at 9, I stepped away from work for a few minutes. Had that not been an option, I would've seen the news some other time.

The problem is that E3 & 'hype' culture has evolved to a point where every possible announcement is hailed as a glorious possible bit of news that will suddenly make life worth living again. A life-changing event that must be discussed, speculated upon, and recorded from sixteen different angles for your reaction video.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it. Not every announcement interests me, but I like that the news is spread.
But in the end, for some people nothing will ever deliver.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just one event. We got teasing and hyping from Crytek and we got Crysis Remastered, Geoff was teasing announcement for today that it looks like it will be Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2 Remaster/Remake, Mafia account is teasing announcement that will end up being another Remaster. Then comes MS with their event and again don't deliver. Not to mention that you need to track all of these smaller events.

Tracking has never been made easier. I literally hit add to calendar on the summer games website and I was done

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
No it's definitely their fault. But that's why this kind of hype marketing is bad, and E3 is a big reason for it.

The thing is, I think it's pretty much always warranted to get hyped for E3. Because like the post with the tweets I first quoted in this thread said. At E3, there's pretty much always something for you to get excited over. And so, even if some of the things that got hyped up didn't pan out, you don't really care because there were still those other 4-6 big bombs that made you super excited

That "hype buffer" is just not there when every game gets it's own announcement of announcement with a spotlight on it, without even telling us what kind of game it is we can expect to see.

Like, it's entirely solvable simply by
  • Not completely overhyping it like Xbox did
  • Give people a rough idea about what is probably getting announced if it's a single game announcement