• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yup. It's been a weird mess so far. Also, opening the "sUMmEr oF gAmEs" (which sounds dumb af anyway, like are you going to announce something new every week or is this a pompous way of saying you'll have a handful of announcements over the next four months?) with Tony Hawk...
Snore.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is true.

If the Tony Hawk remake was announced in the middle of the other colossal titles during E3, we wouldn't have that long and still running announcement thread. It's good for the exposure of smaller games, it's good for the industry.
Seems to be the opposite of what he's saying though... his take is much more negative in that he thinks people are going to get tired of getting their expectations up only to be disappointed over and over, even though he caveats his statements with saying he hopes he's wrong.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think that E3 will not return next year. They will try, but developers and publishers will find that their own thing is way cheaper and more exposure. That being said, E3, never under delivered it´s the publishers and developers that made that event, E3 is just a platform. Just like the Game Awards. I remember people blaming Keighly that so and so game was not shown there or why did 2019 Awards didn´t have the Smash DLC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol we're like a week into this thing. How about we wait to see how it all pans out before we decide if it was a trainwreck of an idea? Or is that too reasonable?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. It's been a weird mess so far. Also, opening the "sUMmEr oF gAmEs" (which sounds dumb af anyway, like are you going to announce something new every week or is this a pompous way of saying you'll have a handful of announcements over the next four months?) with Tony Hawk...
Snore.
It opened with the Xbox Series X event though.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have few big conferences in the span of three days or so than small, sparse little announcements casually sprinkled during multiple months, to be honest.
It's ok for this year but i hope it's not going to become the standard.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Seems to be the opposite of what he's saying though... his take is much more negative in that he thinks people are going to get tired of getting their expectations up only to be disappointed over and over, even though he caveats his statements with saying he hopes he's wrong.
I think there should be a 'normally' in the middle of the last part there, "games you normally don't care about", then it'll become a positive tone. But either way, it's still good for the devs.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

"Easy to ignore" is exactly why announcing your project when no else is is what makes this more appealing to publishers and developers.

While as a fan I can understand having like back to back to back blow your mind moments, I can see why this would appeal to the people making the game too.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm way happier with this format. With E3 I had a huge time sinker with lots of announcements I don't care for hours until something interesting appears.

Of course the games won't magically become interesting to me, but at least I can manage my time to see these small announcements. I'm really happy with it. If anything, I wish only that there was more.

Oct 27, 2017
Snore.

Counter point: I didn't expect much of anything today and got a brilliant surprise, on a random Tuesday, with what's probably now my most anticipated new release of the year.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
The problem is not with them. It's with unreasonable expectations. How many game announcements a year really grab a big swath of gamers' attention and get hyped?

3? 5? It's low. So why would anyone expect any one of these announcements to be "that one"?

Xbox said what they delivered. People expected too much. Geoff said what he delivered. People expected too much. Can go back in time to the all-VR State of Play, or whatever Direct didn't have the game you cared about. We do this to ourselves because it's fun to get hyped - - and in general we like to rah rah or pooh pooh companies/announcements based on genre or platform or perceived level of hardcore-ness or just for troll giggles.

It's all self-created nonsense amplified by the loudest (usually aggrieved) voices on the internet and social media.

What other industry do we expect every marketing message to exactly match the amount of hype that consumers should feel? Zero. I really fail to get why people get so bent out of shape.

Games are cool. These trailers have been cool. Every game that comes out is a gift. Enjoy your toys and let it go.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think there should be a 'normally' in the middle of the last part there, "games you normally don't care about", then it'll become a positive tone. But either way, it's still good for the devs.
Yep, and to be clear, I agree with your take. :) The information overload during E3 week can be exciting, but it's really hard to remember or keep track of all the smaller titles.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I just subscribe to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo Youtube channels and just watch the trailers of whatever comes up. Following Geoff Keighley or whatever games publisher's Twitter drip feedings is tiring and will often lead to disappointment.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not with them. It's with unreasonable expectations. How many game announcements a year really grab a big swath of gamers' attention and get hyped?

3? 5? It's low. So why would anyone expect any one of these announcements to be "that one"?

Xbox said what they delivered. People expected too much. Geoff said what he delivered. People expected too much. Can go back in time to the all-VR State of Play, or whatever Direct didn't have the game you cared about. We do this to ourselves because it's fun to get hyped - - and in general we like to rah rah or pooh pooh companies/announcements based on genre or platform or perceived level of hardcore-ness or just for troll giggles.

It's all self-created nonsense amplified by the loudest (usually aggrieved) voices on the internet and social media.

What other industry do we expect every marketing message to exactly match the amount of hype that consumers should feel? Zero. I really fail to get why people get so bent out of shape.

Games are cool. These trailers have been cool. Every game that comes out is a gift. Enjoy your toys and let it go.
Completely agree.

People on the Keighley thread thought this might actually be GTA 6, like wtf

Plum

May 31, 2018
Frankly I am shocked that one would hold such a feeling as... excitement. It seems that the youth of today have turned a blind eye to stoicism and have replaced it with 'hype' and 'happiness'. This is simply preposterous as gaming is a serious topic, and one must take it seriously, lest they be swept away by waves of juvenile emotion. Dwelling on 'anticipation' and 'high expectation' is but a practice in clouding your own judgement; it is but a remnant of our paleolithic past, the anticipation of our next hunt replaced by the 'hype' of our next game.

Honestly if I were to have my own way we would do away with any form of 'announcements' altogether. At the beginning of each year games shall be listed in plain Helvetica on a spreadsheet for us to peruse, and that shall be it. One does not 'hype' the Mona Lisa, after all, so why is that we must 'hype' the artistry of games? It is preposterous.

I scoff at hype culture and I chortle at the plebs who find it fitting of themselves to perpetuate it. Gaming is nought more than the games itself, and it must be that way. Stay stoic, temper your expectations and, most importantly, look to enlightenment instead of mere 'fun'

This is 100% sarcasm making fun of the condescending "fuck hype culture people should just be playing games and nothing else" posts

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just manage your expectations, be realistic, accept there's a pandemic happening, and don't centre your entire day around an announcement you may or may not care about. It's all good.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well these games aren't that exciting and just like at e3 they get announced, shown off and forgotten soon after

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020

This is basically how I feel about it.

Having a prolonged period of constant teasing/hyping is just a terrible approach imo. I think many people are just gonna end up zoning out and not pay attention to it after all while, especially if the announcements or "events" that get's teased and hyped don't improve dramatically over the ones we've seen so far

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What you're forgetting is that the expectations are set by the publishers, they want people to be constantly excited about their announcement, otherwise they wouldn't be teasing everything all the time and just announce what they need to announce. People should take that into account and take a set back but I don't really feel like putting the blame solely on people is quite accurate.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Because people like to think every little announcement is going to be a huge AAA game reveal and that's just unrealistic. Set your expectations accordingly.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far it's been garbage, yes.

At least there will be two events that will be worth the hype, the Sony in June (?) and Xbox is July.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Eh, I don't mind this format, OP. We get some news every other day, which is nice to keep us going during the stay at home/work at home drudgery.

And the news cycle started earlier, and as long as we keep getting announcements, eventually it'll be something I can get really excited about.

And until that happens... well, there's always the backlog to keep me entertained.

I think that with the situation being what it is, people need some positive, even if smaller news more often. June is still weeks away, and if we were to have a news drought for another 3 weeks that'd have been worse than getting some news from different devs/pubs more often.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I loved video game Christmas, but now I have to track announcements from 20 different places over multiple months. I want to know about games without making it into work. I liked the idea of sandwiching indie titles between the big announcement trailers. I don't think half as many people would know/care about cuphead had it not been part of a random indie montage up there with all the other big stuff that day.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Thats like saying E3 sucks, after only watching the EA conference.

Also, maybe this is a good exercise in hype management for some people.

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020

Really? Xbox said what they delivered? Really?

The official Xbox twitter account had a literal tweet stating that "Tomorrow changes the game. Or rather, the games do the changing"

What part of that tweet did the Xbox event deliver on? Which part of that event "changed the game"? and which games shown really changed compared to games that already exist? Assassin's Creed? Dirt 5?

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically how I feel about it.

Having a prolonged period of constant teasing/hyping is just a terrible approach imo. I think many people are just gonna end up zoning out and not pay attention to it after all while, especially if the announcements or "events" that get's teased and hyped don't improve dramatically over the ones we've seen so far
It's a better opportunity for devs because it gives more attention To titles that would be lose in the e3 shuffle. Imo it's silly to complain about announcements that don't interest you because while that's a momentary bummer it does interest someone else.

so you rather force all announcements into a 5 day period where many good ones are lost, that you don't even notice, but because you may end up noticing these now and being disappointed (while others and the devs are thrilled) it's somehow worse? Maybe for you but it's better for all involved. Not everyone game/announcement is for everyone of us and that's fine imo.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly been pretty good for me so far. Handful of titles in that Xbox stream that I was interested in, and I'm pretty amped for the Tony Hawk remaster.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What you're forgetting is that the expectations are set by the publishers, they want people to be constantly excited about their announcement, otherwise they wouldn't be teasing everything all the time and just announce what they need to announce. People should take that into account and take a set back but I don't really feel like putting the blame solely on people is quite accurate.
The problem seems to be a lack of common sense from some people. A huge AAA game is not going to be randomly debuted on a Tuesday morning in what Keighley hypes up only as "a fun reveal".

Just settle down, and save your high expectations for something that has a better chance of holding a major reveal.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer this set up in many regards - everything gets a fair shake, it's much easier to digest info, and you may uncover games you might have written off otherwise. I am super excited for Scarlet Nexus but I probably wouldn't have cared about it if it were just one of many games in a bombastic blow-out.

I just think they need to fix up the messaging when it comes to hyping things up. Either have a bunch of big announcements at once (essentially moving your E3 presentation to another day entirely), or outline what'll be shown more specifically than "it's a mystery game~~~" List publishers and developers to set expectations.

The Inside Xbox stream was basically half of what would have been their E3 showing, with the first party half coming in July. In the future I imagine they'll go back to sandwiching those together if they skip E3 again because that was a dreadful idea.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Judging this after exactly one event over a three month period is an embarrassing overreaction.

Chill.
There has been nothing but teasing going on for the past few weeks. They're teasing every single thing. Tease one big event that has multiple announcements if you're going to tease. Don't keep teasing every bit of news....some surprise announcements would be great.

Stop the teasing and just give us a heads up on what's going to happen.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Frankly I am shocked that one would hold such a feeling as... excitement. It seems that the youth of today have turned a blind eye to stoicism and have replaced it with 'hype' and 'happiness'. This is simply preposterous as gaming is a serious topic, and one must take it seriously, lest they be swept away by waves of juvenile emotion. Dwelling on 'anticipation' and 'high expectation' is but a practice in clouding your own judgement; it is but a remnant of our paleolithic past, the anticipation of our next hunt replaced by the 'hype' of our next game.

Honestly if I were to have my own way we would do away with any form of 'announcements' altogether. At the beginning of each year games shall be listed in plain Helvetica on a spreadsheet for us to peruse, and that shall be it. One does not 'hype' the Mona Lisa, after all, so why is that we must 'hype' the artistry of games? It is preposterous.

I scoff at hype culture and I chortle at the plebs who find it fitting of themselves to perpetuate it. Gaming is nought more than the games itself, and it must be that way. Stay stoic, temper your expectations and, most importantly, look to enlightenment instead of mere 'fun'

This is 100% sarcasm making fun of the condescending "fuck hype culture people should just be playing games and nothing else" posts

Hype culture must be eradicated at all costs

To not do so is a fool's gambit

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Yeah, E3 has it's problems (quite a few) but I do look forward to it.

It sounds kind of stupid, but I think I'm really going to miss that feeling of watching it with a bunch of other like minded friends or strangers and sharing excitement/snarky comments over things.

Nothing so far has come close to that and nothing planned sounds like it's going to have the same effect.

That being said, there's some reveals and shows coming up and hopefully MS, Nintendo etc. have some good showings for their E3 replacement events and Sony for their Not-E3 event aswell.

Snore.
Is it just to replace his E3 thing?

Personally I had no idea he even did one...or that it was important in any way.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
E3's disappointed more often than not. We just don't remember it that way, now that it's gone belly up.

TBH, I think Keighley's stumbled upon a better format for the kind of not-amazing-but-still-neat announcements the convention's been infamous for recently.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a better opportunity for devs because it gives more attention To titles that would be lose in the e3 shuffle. Imo it's silly to complain about announcements that don't interest you because while that's a momentary bummer it does interest someone else.

The opposite is true though.

If you remember, the indie showcase at E3 coming from Microsoft and Sony helped countless indie games to get the spotlight because they were shown during a conference that everyone was watching. Spreading out announcement ensure that the amount of people actually tuning in is smaller and that the attention can easily be redirect towards something else (Tony Hawk remake just got announced and people are already speculating about what is coming out tomorrow).

Right now it's just like announcing your game during any other day of the year.