• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
How many streaming services do we need? When people talked about wanting to "cut the cord" or whatever, I'm not sure this is quite what we all had in mind, is it?
I feel like some people will just return to piracy at this point for some content. I know other people who will use a service for a couple months and then drop it and rotate to something else.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
How many streaming services do we need? When people talked about wanting to "cut the cord" or whatever, I'm not sure this is quite what we all had in mind, is it?

It's close to what I pictured if I'm being honest. I always saw whatever came after cable as a menu type thing in that you can choose as many or as little channels as you want. I never really saw a one-stop-shop as a viable option.

Personally I think the best "game plan" is to subscribe to one or two at a time, watch what you want, then switch to one or two others. Rotate them around. There's been times where Netflix hasn't been all that great for me, Disney+ lagged for awhile, etc. People don't need to subscribe to everything.

I do think it's excausting keeping up with exclusives and what each streaming service offers at a particular time though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's close to what I pictured if I'm being honest. I always saw whatever came after cable as a menu type thing in that you can choose as many or as little channels as you want. I never really saw a one-stop-shop as a viable option.

Personally I think the best "game plan" is to subscribe to one or two at a time, watch what you want, then switch to one or two others. Rotate them around. There's been times where Netflix hasn't been all that great for me, Disney+ lagged for awhile, etc. People don't need to subscribe to everything.

I do think it's excausting keeping up with exclusives and what each streaming service offers at a particular time though.

I agree, unless you can get like 18 months for 10 bucks, then just bite the bullet. ;)

Nov 15, 2020
Disney plus makes sense because those franchises are so distinct. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if a property belonged to Paramount or not.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Disney plus makes sense because those franchises are so distinct. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if a property belonged to Paramount or not.
thats probably why they've been parading all these characters around in these commercials. Other than Disney and maybe Warner, there just isn't very good brand association for legacy properties.

not sure if anyone's actually going to pay for this service from the characters they rolled out there though.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like some people will just return to piracy at this point for some content. I know other people who will use a service for a couple months and then drop it and rotate to something else.

VPNs have become so widespread now that I really would not be shocked if piracy is on the rise.

Also, the only ad that really did anything for me was Beavis & Butt-head laughing at the word crack.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I think they're going to have to put showtime shows on this at some point to stay competitive. Even then showtime barely has anything.

there's plenty of content when it comes to MTV and Nickelodeon, but it'll be a hard sell without a lot of new original content.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like these ads

I feel like they are doing a much better job than HBO Max did at advertising a variety of content

Though HBO has a deeper bench of franchises/properties.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've actually considered this to go along with my Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and D+, but goddamn am I tired of all these services. HBO+ won't even get a whiff of consideration until everything is 4K with HDR.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you think they would get Cruise to do an advert opposite cast members for a bunch of CBS shows and Snookie?
Honestly there was a way to do Cruise and a big 2020/2021 Paramount property without needing him...
b4ffb270-6977-4ecf-9e8f-ac0a00162777.jpg

put some generic guy in his gear and helmet with the visor down and put him as a background character.

Heck Paramount already did that for Top Gun's merchandise itself
rvl5677.jpg

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how people are dismissing this. The library on this thing is going to be huge.
If you want a joke of a streaming service to make fun of then just take a look at Apple TV Plus.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how people are dismissing this. The library on this thing is going to be huge.
If you want a joke of a streaming service to make fun of then just take a look at Apple TV Plus.

I dunno, I used to joke about Apple TV+ when they announced it and how little content they were going to have because at the time they weren't licensing content, but I have to admit the content they do have is pretty strong so I can't exactly mock that service these days. They may not have a lot in quantity, but the quality is pretty solid and I'm glad that service exists so that content can exist.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, I used to joke about Apple TV+ when they announced it and how little content they were going to have because at the time they weren't licensing content, but I have to admit the content they do have is pretty strong so I can't exactly mock that service these days. They may not have a lot in quantity, but the quality is pretty solid and I'm glad that service exists so that content can exist.

I have a (free) subscription currently, and I can't believe people actually pay money for it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I have a (free) subscription currently, and I can't believe people actually pay money for it.

So do I and while I'm not sure I would pay it for the entire year, I could see myself subscribing every now and then to get caught up. The Morning Show, For All Mankind, Mythic Quest, Ted Lasso, Dickinson, and Greyhound have all been great. I still have Servant, See, and The Snoopy Show to check out. I'm really glad that the service exist just for The Morning Show, Mythic Quest, For All Mankind and Ted Lasso and if they can keep putting out shows like that, the service is justified for me. The quantity isn't up there with other services, but I think they are definitely some of the better quality content across all of the services. I might even consider an Apple One service subscription and having it bundled in there will just be a nice perk on top of the other stuff.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

Back catalog sure. I'm primarily interested in original new content though, and CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount+) is probably the worst service in that regard. Just mostly mediocre and uninteresting originals.

Apple TV+ originals has a bunch of good shows, easily the best video quality / bitrate of any streaming service, and at just $5/mo is reasonably priced.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I really wonder what their paid subscriber list is like. I know they extended a bunch of people (I think if you bought another apple product). I can't imagine staying subscribed to it and paying for it.

Same for CBS/Paramount, at least in it's current state. They have so much overlap with other services (like Netflix has a ton of Nick stuff) and gigantic gaps in the programming they do have. Even years later it still feels like if you're not a huge Trek fan, it's not worth it at full price, at least not for the whole year.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I didn't realise that Paramount Plus intends to keep its $5.99 AVOD tier. I sort of assumed that Viacom were entering the streaming wars with the aim of going head to head with everyone else but if they are priced so low (yes, I'm sure the price will rise over time) then it feels like they aren't looking to compete with the big spending likes of Netflix or HBO Max.

And with the line up they are touting I seriously doubt they'll give Disney+ any sleepless nights even with that low price point.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
After all these years, just hearing Beavis and Butthead laugh still kills me. I couldn't breathe with that "uhhh?" Lol!

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
i didnt care about CBS or Paramount until last week when i got the service for $9.99 @ 16 months. Beavis and Butthead laugh will always win to me tho.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
These big companies can't keep launching streaming services off the backs of legacy content only. So weird to me that they're saying "hey come pay for this for Beavis & Butthead and Jersey Shore."

People literally paid Netflix just for The Office before it moved to Peacock. People LOVE legacy content. It's literally THE reason why these network streamers keep appearing. It's to hold onto their popular content before it moves off to make someone else more money. The exclusives that follow are an effort to retain viewership beyond the legacy content, but it's really all about the legacy content. Look at Disney +. It's primarily legacy content and MCU shows...

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Back catalog sure. I'm primarily interested in original new content though, and CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount+) is probably the worst service in that regard. Just mostly mediocre and uninteresting originals.

Apple TV+ originals has a bunch of good shows, easily the best video quality / bitrate of any streaming service, and at just $5/mo is reasonably priced.
And Apple still isn't even charging people for it despite having some of the best shows released all of last year.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I think rebranding the service as Paramount+, coupled with these commercials, is a good business move. Nobody cares about "CBS", I doubt there's much brand loyalty to CBS. But these commercials are really showing people what their catalogue is all about, and people will remember seeing that mountain logo on lots of movies, though most people probably wouldn't remember which ones.

Well, they do occasionally have very good original content. Star Trek Picard was one of my favorite shows of 2020, and I liked the first season of Star Trek Discovery (haven't seen any more than that). I still want to watch The Stand (though it's unfortunately getting mediocre reviews). Of course, for me, when it comes to original shows I subscribe for a month, watch all the episodes of the show I want to see, then unsubscribe. I do that with CBS, Netflix, and HBO (Disney I got a great deal for prepaying 3 years, and Amazon I get free with Prime).

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I must be out of touch, because I thought these ads were generic AF and not that great. Like they were dreamed up in 10 minutes in a board room. "We have the money, let's just get all of these characters and stars together climbing our logo mountain, and at the top we'll have some other goofy characters, and when they get there they'll uh... they'll have a dance party!" "Love it. How much will this cost? $160 million? Do it."