• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two puppets, one lean, one squat and gravel-voiced, stand next to a cannon. You can't help but notice it's aimed directly at the shorter one.

"Ok, buddy, what do you think of Wilkins coffee?" the skinny proto-Kermit looking one with its hand on the trigger, Wilkins, asks.

"Never tasted it," gumdrop-shaped Wontkins grumpily replies.

After a brief look of disapproval, the cannon roars, blasting Wontkins off-screen. Wilkins casually aims the cannon at the viewer.

"Now what do you think of Wilkins Coffee?"

Electrocution. Decapitation. Death by point-blank handgun shot. You'd think Wontkins would give in eventually, but he (almost) never does.

I was watching the first episode of Defuntland's series on the Muppets (I thought it was excellent) and these short spots really stuck out to me. Henson had something like eight seconds per spot to get the audience's attention, and he did it with a kind of gleefully sadistic puppet on puppet violence I normally associated with Itchy and Scratchy from the Simpsons.

Wilkins bombs Wontkins' house. He pushes him to his death. Hell, at one point Wilkins allows Wontkins to drown in a pool full of coffee just so he'll finally drink it.

What do you think of Wilkins Coffee?

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
My favorite thing about all these is that never once did wilkins consider enrolling wontkins in grad school. That'll change just about any naysayer's mind on the benefits of coffee

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just kills him. He's dead, straight up, every time. Sometimes he just shoots him. It doesn't even tie into the joke, he's just a murderer.

I've seen these before but absolutely wonderful

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That one where he wipes off the fencing sword after presumably killing Wontkins is chilling.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Now I want some Wilkin's coffee and it doesn't exist anymore.

edit: Blew up his damn house, this guy is ruthless.

Last edited:

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I find it odd that there isn't music when the product is shown, as a way to defuse the murder and mayhem we've just seen. Was there musical accompaniment originally and it's removed for copyright reasons?

OP
OP
adj_noun

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it odd that there isn't music when the product is shown, as a way to defuse the murder and mayhem we've just seen. Was there musical accompaniment originally and it's removed for copyright reasons?

I think it was just a silent two second shot of the product; if there was music there originally, I haven't been able to find a reference to it.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Now I want some Wilkin's coffee and it doesn't exist anymore.

This is easily the most horrific part of the ad. Evidently, the company was eventually bought by Maxwell House. Who never used the Wilkins brand name ever again.

So, what happened to Mr.Wilkins after this? Obviously you can't buy the coffee anymore, so does that mean he just unleashes his wraith on anyone he comes across now? He is certainly a very dangerous muppet, and losing the one thing that can possibly protect you from him is worrying.

Oct 25, 2017

We are talking about 1960s TV here. Music and other background ambience would simply not have been nearly as high a priority as it is in modern advertising.

Hell, just the voices were apparently added in post, compared to later Muppet productions where the voices where recorded on-set.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I love everything Henson ever touched. You guys should watch his experimental short film Time Piece -

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I only just discovered these Wilkins coffee commercials today thanks to Alex Navarro's twitter, and I fucking love them lmao

0:34-0:44, Wilkins was just ice cold :'(

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Never heard of these before. They're... interesting.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I sat through all these the other day after it was linked in the Favourite Muppets thread. I'd seen it before, but sat through it again. Kind of interesting they seemed to get away with puppets casually shooting each other in the face among other things. Seems quite openly manipulative by todays standards too, given manipulation is modern advertising is usually much more subliminal.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never even heard of this before today.

I usually drink Maxwell House, I guess that means I'm drinking Wilkins? Please don't hurt me.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Made a reference to this in a previous post and no one got it which saddened me.

Wilkins cuts out the bullshit and basically says "Buy our shit or get shot"

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
They have a very Don Hertzfelt vibe to them.

Character 1: I don't like product.
Character 2: *murder*
[insert lingering, eerily quiet shot of product]
*end*

They're real but they feel fake.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The one at the card game where he pulls out a revolver and shoots him is savage.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "some learn and some don't" line is savage because it implies he straight up stabbed the other muppet for not drinking coffee.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I absolutely love these. The Soviet one is especially great: "That's capitalist coffee, you traitor!"