• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
1.) Final Fantasy VII / 1997 / PS1
As soon as Cloud uttered the words "Let's mosey," it was decided that this was quite possibly the greatest game ever made. (-EGM)
Oh, and Yuffie Kisagari is secretly the best girl. <3
FB28954D93648E3ABE78CD542E22C6DCD4D1FEBE

2.) Secret of Mana / 1993 / SNES
Like a painted world, nothing is more evocative, to me, than SoM's combination of art direction and it's original album track titles:
"What the Forest Taught Me" (森が教えてくれたこと), "Distant Thunder" (遠雷), or "Did You See the Sea?" (君は海を見たか).

somshot04.png

3.) Final Fantasy IX / 2000 / PS1
The writing and OST are especially moving. The world felt more "immediate" than previous FF games, due to ambiance and head-tracking NPCs. lol
The result is a most beautiful fairy tale, featuring Vivi!

latest

4.) Front Mission 3 / 1999 / PS1
Messing around in the pseudo-Internet was really exciting at a time when you couldn't connect a PS1 to the Web.
Also, there's a very special policewoman called Miho Shinjo. She's basically this game's "Mei Ling" from MGS.

4-imagecapture_16042011_165932.jpg

5.) Final Fantasy Tactics / 1998 / PS1
I like everything about this game (except maybe the easy final boss..), though what impresses me the most is the level design.
Each battlefield is a rather confined diorama, but there are just enough spaces to make strategy viable and fun.

final_fantasy_tactics_large.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
All my favorite games are heavily focused on Level Design, bar Chrono Cross lol

Honorable Mentions: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Last of Us, Dark Souls, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: ACiT, Age of Empires II

1. Doom: First FPS I've ever played and it is still my favorite from the genre. I love it and I still create maps for it. The gameplay is simple but with the right combination of weapons, enemies and scenary you still have a game that after 30 years from its release it feels fresh.

2. Bloodborne: Amazing game with gorgeous atmosphere, gameplay and heavily focused in exploration + strategic enemy and item placement. The boss are amazing, especially the DLC ones and can't wait to play it again in PS5.

3. Spyro: That was my second 3D platformer (first was Mario 64) and this game is gorgeous. All the focus here goes into exploring and dealing with gliding/running mechanics to reach into far away or secret places. It's a perfect game for players to get used to 3D gameplay and it's very charming, especially the soundtrack.

4. Unreal Tournament: Still my favorite multiplayer game so far. Love the visuals, the soundtrack, the gameplay, I had a very good time with this in the early 00's.

5. Chrono Cross: My favorite JRPG so far, with gorgeous soundtrack, a very nice battle system with some of the best PS1 visuals.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Gotta love Matsuno!!

Mine hasn't changed too much in the past decade.

To writ:
_________________________​

1.) Jak 3

The best between both worlds, the third entry in the Jak and Daxter series has the character, the grit, and the shooter-platformer action adventure fun all in one immaculately polished package. It's no revolution, but it is chockful of variety. And as a longtime lover of Jak and his pal Dax and their world, this is as decent a conclusion as any to their wild adventures -- with one of the most riotous plot twists of its time.

tenor.gif

2.) Ultima IV

Imagine, saving the world by being a decent person. The Ultima series is one of the seminal roleplaying series in the games industry, and for good reason. To this day, no game has quite tapped into the encompassing gameplay loop and thematic integration yielded by Ultima IV. Oh, and it'll beat you up too. Games used to be sadistic, you know.

Bebergal-EnlightenmentComputerGame.jpg

3.) The Sims 3

Playing with life was more than that with The Sims. For me, it was a canvas, one where I was free to project all of my assertions of the world onto. The hilarity, the nonsense, the serenities, the black comedies, the mundane, and the dollhouse. The Sims represented it all, for me, particularly when 2 came along to expand its horizons. But 3's introduction of its wide open neighborhood hub was a revelation. No game since has matched it in terms of scale. A social sim, a life sim, an escape. The Sims is the perfect playground for stories, where you were the master storyteller, and 3 your blank Bible.

QuarrelsomeDampDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted.gif

4.) Mother 2/Earthbound

Sometimes, some faith is all it takes.

5a71c07672edb58a724a602054ff0835--game-art-define-nerd.jpg

5.) BioShock 2

Bioshock 2 is not the best game ever. It is not the freshest idea out of the oven, ever. But it is intelligent. It is suffocating. It is filled with dark, troubled thoughts, expressed through an accessible channel. Via mechanics and tropes taken from corners as diverse as horror, adventure, psychological thriller, and the first-person shooter, this sequel to the unforgettable first installment is a story about being. And it is the best out of its series at being one.

4LLuKG.gif

Runners-Up: Yume Nikki, Fallout: New Vegas, Cryptworld, Saints Row IV, Chrono Trigger, Ace Combat 5, Deadly Premonition, Dwarf Fortress, Grim Fandango

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
This is pretty difficult, but I think it's prob something like this.

1. Persona 3 Portable
I know this game has faults (as does the whole Persona series), but it remains my favorite of all time--partially bc I really do just love it in a vacuum, but also because I played it when I was in high school and could really identify with the characters. Seeing a game that discussed depression, parental abuse/neglect, and various other issues (inadequacy, etc.) really hit home for me given my family situation at the time. It was probably the first game I played that spoke to those issues and it stuck with me--I think I've played the game like 8 times and just have always adored it.

2. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
I love a good mystery; 999 is the first game I've played that really fully hooked me into the game's mystery. The story is great and enticing, it's well written, and I think the OG DS spritework and speech sounds really add to a lot of the charm. It also scared the ever loving shit out of me, and genuinely surprised me in a way that I don't think any other game has replicated. On top of that, the usage of the DS console itself is absolutely fantastic and makes the ending so so sweet.

3. Final Fantasy 7
Genuinely incredible story, and a fun cast of characters. Yuffie, Cloud, and Aerith are some of my favorite video game characters of all time, and I absolutely echo the "Let's Mosey!" sentiment. I played it for the first time in 2018 and thought it held up incredibly well and was still so charming. The music is also just phenomenal--Cosmo Canyon, Aerith's Theme, Bombing Mission, etc--I could just go on and on.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening.
I love SRPGS and I think Fire Emblem has really got a great formula for the genre. The characters are generally tropey, but fun, and some really can evoke a more emotional element--I think Awakening, for me, does this best. I'm a huge sucker for failed timeline stories, so the main plot along with the kids really drew me in. I absolutely adore a lot of the kid characters; Cynthia, Owain, and Morgan are some of my favorites, and I really love watching the whole cast interact. It was also my first FE game, which is likely why it's remained my favorite even after I've played through a majority of the series.

(But, I do think FFT:WOTL is probably the best SRPG I've ever played. It's just not my favorite, if that makes sense).

5. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney is a game I've played for years and years--I got my first copy of JFA when I was in 6th grade and instantly fell in love. I would get a new game once or twice a year (birthday/christmas) and just play through voraciously. Apollo Justice just happens to be my favorite--I adore Apollo and Trucy and love the villain in the game. Don't get me wrong--the original triology is phenomenal, and I adore Phoenix and Maya and Pearl and the villain of T+T is one of my favorite villains of all time. But AJ has a special place in my heart.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
1. DDR 1st Mix through EXTREME - No other gaming experience will come close to what me and my friends were doing in the arcades in the early 2000's. We would eat, drink and sleep DDR every day for years. We would stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning at our local arcade the Atlantis in Reno Nevada and play until the sun came up. The early Bemani community was a tight-knit group of people who were passionate about the entire series, and nothing will ever come close to that time in my life with video games.

2. Capcom vs SNK 2 - After I kinda grew out of DDR, I needed to find a new community, so I went to the FGC, and this was the first game I picked up. The style, the music, and the mechanics, all work on such a great level, that many FGC players will say this is their all time favorite fighting game. Their is something so quirky and unique about this game. Fighting game perfection.

3. Jet Grind Radio - What can I say? This was one of the first games that made me want to leave this world and enter into Tokyo-to. There was something so COOL about this game. Even though the controls are clunky, the music coupled with the amazing art style and iconic characters can't be beat. JSRF also deserves an honorable mention (Microsoft, PLEASE BRING THIS TO XBOX SERIES X BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY PLEASE!!!!)

4. Metal Gear Solid - To this day, I'm still amazed by this iconic release that was ON THE PLAYSTATION. The scope of the story, with characters that you completely care about, even though they look like pixelated messes, cannot be overstated. This game is perfect in every way. I'll support Kojima in anything he ever does. Video games need him, and this was his opus.

5. Tetris (any version, but especially DS) - Tetris changed the way I view the world. I dream about it. I miss it when I'm not playing it. When I first got my Xbox Series X on launch day, Tetris Effect was the first game I played, and I've already put 40+ hours into it, even though I platinumed the same game on Ps4. It's a perfect video game.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Multiplayer:-

Rocket League

Most time spent in a multiplayer game, even though I'm only platinum, it's such a deep game.

Quake 2

The original 8 death match levels were so good. My first FPS experience were I was completely addicted. Quake 2 rail gun is still the best gun in any game.

COD Warzone

I've played a shitload of this in the last year. Unreal that it's free. PUBG without the jank. Fortnite without the kids.

Gran Turismo Sport

Online multiplayer game with polite drivers. Watch Forza clone the sportsmanship system.

Pro Evo / FIFA (various versions)

Rocket league has replaced this addiction I used to have.

Single player:-

Deus Ex 1

Best FPS story experience, imaginative levels.

God of War 2

Could be nostalgia, but I remember loving this game.

Dark Souls 1

"Dungeons and dragons" vibe mixed with NES difficulty.

Super Mario Brothers 3

Mario had to be somewhere.

Civilisation (whatever version)

I've kicked this addiction, but I used to play a lot of 1/2 particularly as a a kid.

Currently waiting On a Last of Us 2 PS5 patch, but from what I've played so far it might end up on my top 5.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halcali

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
3. Final Fantasy 7
Genuinely incredible story, and a fun cast of characters. Yuffie, Cloud, and Aerith are some of my favorite video game characters of all time, and I absolutely echo the "Let's Mosey!" sentiment.

The nerve of this Cloud guy.. When the fate of the world rests on his spiky shoulders, all he has to say for it is "Let's mosey!" lol

what a man

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Good & Evil

I still remember the day I bought this heavily discounted just weeks after Ubisoft launched it in one the of the most crowded holiday games seasons ever, against their own marquee title Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, with no marketing budget whatsoever. It was the definition of "sent to die." Not really sure what drew me to it, but by the end of the introduction and first Zelda-esque dungeon I was in love. It's a wonderful world with really endearing characters, and gameplay that is constantly shifting and giving you new things to do. It still saddens me that we will never get a true sequel to it, and that Ancel turned out to be a piece of garbage.

0b44d0b6-4613-4e27-926okwm.gif

Chrono Trigger

When I think of a perfect game it's hard not to picture Chrono Trigger. The game features some of the best creatives to ever work in the industry firing on all cylinders and it shows. Gorgeous worlds, fantastic soundtrack, fun battle system, great characters, etc. It's just a great game that holds up damn near 30-years later.

6a82b04f-2172-4aa3-batlj9y.gif

Death Stranding

This game is definitely not for everyone. In fact I'm not even entirely sure if it's really a game. But the experience of playing this during a pandemic while under lockdown and forced to socially distance from other people for the sake of everyone's wellbeing was something I can't truly put words to. It wasn't the game people wanted in 2019, but it was the game people needed in 2020.

08620476-2fa8-4bc5-83z8jh3.gif

Shenmue

I really value unique experiences in gaming, and to this day Shenmue is still one of the most unique experiences you can play. I've yet to play an open world that feels even remotely as alive as Yokosuka.

1e522cd3-f76e-4374-8cp1kqg.gif

Mega Man 2

Perfection. Pick up and play perfection.

15f0b97b-af7c-48f4-bfmgj7n.gif

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
1) Ocarina of Time: Best Zelda game ever.
2) Tetris (Gameboy): It's Tetris
3) Unreal Tournament: Facing Worlds 4 Lyfe
4) Super Mario World: The Classic
5) Team Fortress Classic: Conc Jump Champion

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
5) Xenoblade Chronicles - The greatest RPG of all time. A deep combat system, a complex story, an absolutely incredible soundtrack, and an absolutely engaging world that rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny. Playing this game for the first time is an experience like no other.

4) Viewtiful Joe - What does it take for a game to be considered "Viewtiful"? Is it amazing gameplay? Is it unforgettable boss fights? Does it need to ooze style? There is such a game that fits that criteria and that my friends, is Viewtiful Joe.

3) God Hand - Shinji Mikami's Magnum Opus. A deep combat system that takes a while to get into, but when it clicks, it flows like poetry. A game that we, as gamers were far too foolish to appreciate its achievements and because of that will never see a creation like this again. One of the greatest tragedies of the medium.

2) Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo's greatest game. A true masterpiece in the platformer genre. The game that set the standard for 3D platformers that, to this day, has never been met, not even by its sequel. A game with so much heart and magic that it feels like as if Disney made a video game. Their best soundtrack as well, no question.

1) Bayonetta - A true masterclass in game design. There are very few games that does it all like Bayonetta does. A combat system that is very easy to get into but almost impossible to master. Boss Fights that hit all the right notes in terms of pure challenge and pure epicness. A game that instead of leaving you satisfied after one playthough, it encourages you to keep coming back and rewards you for doing so. A plethora of unlockables that could have been a substantial DLC, but Platinum thought it was fine to just make it all unlockable. A game that just keeps on giving.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
This is very VERY hard, but I'll try. In no particular order:

1. Street Fighter 2. My first true videogame love. I was obsessed with it. I bought an Amiga drooling over magazine scans of its upcoming port. I got obsessed with the whole fighting game genre comparing every single new game which came out in the first half of the nineties to it. I saw the movie and collected the official stickers of both the game and the movie. In a nutshell: my favorite 2D game of all time

2. Winning Eleven 3 Final Evolution. The game who bought me back to gaming after 5 years of distancing myself from it due to how I hated the shift to 3D. It made me realize that 3D could actually drastically improve a genre and not necessarily make it worse, like I was adamant about until that moment. Endless games with some pals of mine, a bunch of late teen/early twenty years old drinking beers, smoking puff and playing football games up until late night. Priceless

3. The Witcher 3. Not much to say other than this: the best 'modern' game I've ever played, still unrivaled in almost every aspect. Probably my all around favorite game ever.

4. Resident Evil 4. The game that definitely bought me back to videogames other that football games and old school fighting games, back in 2005. So much fun to play, I couldn't bring myself to stop it even after finishing it. After completing it 3 times in a row on PS2 I bought a Gamecube just to experience it in its best glory, completing it other 2 times straight. The only game I've completed 5 times in a row for the whole reason of how fun it was to play, no lt for achievement/trophy hunting.

5. X Wing. It's hard for me to describe, as a total NOT fan of Star Wars, how deeply this game caught me. Everything about it was glorious, from the manual to the 3 tours of duty, which were really epic and featured lots of unforgettable moments and battles. I'm glad I played it in its prime, nowadays games have progressed far too much to enjoy it as deeply as a kid from 1993 could

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
FF6 - Beautiful game, beautiful characters, beautiful soundtrack. Loved the battle system with the unique abilities, loved espers, just a great game.

FFT - Great story that was my real first understanding of shades of grey. Great levels. Job system was fun to mess around with. Delita best character in all of videogames.

Earthbound - So damn charming. Each area was wonderful to experience (except Moonside, I hated it though I appreciate it now), and it just feels so wholesome to experience this game over and over again.

Pokémon Blue - Forging a relationship with as many mons as I have patience for. Beating gyms and the elite 4 actually felt super rewarding as a kid.

BOTW - The only modern, non rpg on my list. A wonder to explore the world, and even more to explore the mechanics they gave us. Had an actual good take on Zelda the character (I felt) and felt like an actual adventure. One that I never wanted to end.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've played ~400 games throughout my life and would say my top 20 or so are all what I'd consider 10/10s. There's very little splitting them in rank besides my personal preference.

Honourable mentions go to:

- The Sims (the PC original and the GC/PS2/Xbox version, which is just fantastic.)
- Pokemon Black 2 and White 2
- Earthbound
- Overcooked (1 and 2)
- Pokemon Colosseum
- DKC 2
- DQVIII
- Mother 3
- FE Awakening
- Super Mario Land 2
- Pikmin 3
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Super Mario RPG
- The World Ends With You

6. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Switch)
A game of breathtaking scale, with an incredibly charming cast of characters, perfect gameplay, a great story and just soooooooooo much to do. It is the JRPG perfected.

1280x720.jpg

5. Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
My childhood. Pokemon perfection. A fantastic region, incredible soundtrack, great new mons and great postgame. I'd say as a game B2/W2 are better, but my nostalgia for Hoenn and for Emerald is just too strong.

19.png

4. Pikmin 2 (Wii/GC - particularly the Wii version)
Not many games ever enthralled me quite as much as this one. The universe of Pikmin is at once inviting, unsettling and astonishingly deep. I love everything about Pikmin 2. The overworld is great fun to explore, the caves are a really fun romp, the Piklopedia is easily my favourite bestiary in any game ever (the only one I actually sit and read, for Olimar's scientific notes and for Louie's culinary details). The music is great, it was beautiful for its time, and the gameplay is incredibly engaging, particularly in its Wii NPC version.

jpg

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (DS)
Yeah, I can't split my top three at all. PMD: Explorers is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than a Pokemon spin-off has any right to be. It's soundtrack is just perfect, the gameplay is engaging and fun, the story is beautifully crafted (first and only time I've cried at any piece of media) and the characters you travel alongside are just so great.

latest

1. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (SNES/DS)
DQV is an incredible story, one of the best ever told in gaming. It's a tale of struggle, growth and love spanning generations. The twists and turns throughout the story enthralled me every single time and took me by surprise. The gameplay is peak SNES RPG, with the battles taking strategy to conquer, and the introduction of the monster taming system indirectly inspiring Pokemon and many other monster taming games. It's just an incredible achievement of gaming.

Dragon_Quest_V_Super_Famicom_front_cover.jpg

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
FE3H is a masterpiece. Gameplay: perfect. Soundtrack: incredible. Story: great. Characters: incredibly numerous, yet each is insanely charming and memorable?! When it released last year I played it seven times back to back without burning out at all. When the DLC dropped, I put in another three runs back to back and just wanted more. It's perfection.

FE3H-GROUP.jpg

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah, let's do this:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - Quite simply, the experience that has defined my last 4 years of gaming. Never did I think a newer "Zelda" would automatically replace the deep nostalgia and first-time wonder of Ocarina of Time, and this one did; through its unorthodox mechanics and systems and the enormous sense of exploration = discovery, every step of my 170+ hour adventure.
  2. Metroid Prime (2002) - Immersive, meticulously designed (and executed) by Retro and the best damn fine example (the only one, in my eyes) of a fully-realized Metroidvania in three dimensions. Only its sequels could reach, but not surpass entirely, the highs achieved by this magnum opus.
  3. Resident Evil 4 (2005) - Playing The Last of Us in 2013, I'd constantly be reminded about this game by its pacing, flourishes and design choices. Truly a child of a veteran in the business, Mikami-san. Here's the template for the modern, cinematic third-person action/adventure game.
  4. Metal Gear Solid Tactical Espionage Action (1998) - And here's the spark. Few times before a game felt so emboldened by its creator's vision, and its storytelling kept so damned centered on not only telling a story, but making it an unforgettable experience. What a fine collection of characters, and bosses, too.
  5. Hollow Knight (2017) - This is my favorite 2D Metroidvania in existence. I could only talk to you about its wonderful world design, lore and characters... Yet, the only thing that comes to my mind when I give it thought is the way this game challenges you like few others without making you feel miserable and hopeless. The atmosphere may feel oppressive at times, but there's that something that keeps you going at that boss one more time. Cannot wait for Silksong.

Last edited:

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
1) Metal Gear Solid. Pretty easy choice played the demo to death as a kid cause I couldn't afford the game when I did eventually get it it surpassed everything I thought a video game was and could be in my opinion. For years after its release I couldn't understand why other games had bad stories or voice acting or animation. Turns out this game was a cut above and it took gaming to a new level in terms of production value and setting and voice acting.

2) Metroid Prime... everyones a skeptic... Metroid in 3d? Hell yeah Metroid in 3D. I bought a Gamecube just for this game and my oh my the feel of a Metroid game is so prevelant throughout this entire game. I played Super Metroid to death and that could very easily be here in its spot but there is something so admirable about taking a Masterpiece like Super Metroid and irrerating that into a 3D game. Its design atmosphere and gameplay are god tier and the OST is something I oft still listen to today.

3) Legend of Dragoon. Controversial choice for some a game that divides opinion like few others. Some games people agree are good to great within a small margin. I find it funny whenever LoD is mentioned the opinion margin is vast its either average or a Masterpiece. In my opinion its a Masterpiece in what it sets out to do, good story good characters excellent soundtrack and Dragons! The addition system made every battle unique in that you had to time your inputs rather than just smash X to get rid of the fight.

4) Football Manager.
Without doubt on the list this game is the definition of gaming addiction. There are some people I know who play or do only 1 thing. We all know a guy who has a killer PC setup but only does Flight Sim. Then theres the guys who only do FM. There is something inherently addictive to micromanaging a team. As a massive football fan everyone knows that feeling of being an armchair manager. FM doesnt scratch that it itch it near mortally wounds you once its got its vice like claws in you and those who love it truly love it.

5) Assassins Creed 3. As you can see from my list theres some controversial entries and probably none moreso then this. However I have always loved that time period in History I love Connor as the brooding dark silent protag because it suits an Assassin. But without doubt the best thing about the game is its Mo Cap and fight system. If you find the fight system fun then this is the pinnacle experience Connor is a machine and flow of this game is simply superb if you can look past some of its other shortcomings.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, let's do this:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - Quite simply, the experience that has defined my last 4 years of gaming. Never did I think a newer "Zelda" would automatically replace the deep nostalgia and first-time wonder of Ocarina of Time, and this one did; through its unorthodox mechanics and systems and the enormous sense of exploration = discovery, every step of my 170+ hour adventure.
  2. Metroid Prime (2002) - Immersive, meticulously designed (and executed) by Retro and the best damn fine example (the only one, in my eyes) of a fully-realized Metroidvania in three dimensions. Only its sequels could reach, but not surpass entirely, the highs achieved by this magnum opus.
  3. Resident Evil 4 (2005) - Playing The Last of Us in 2013, I'd constantly be reminded about this game by its pacing, flourishes and design choices. Truly a child of a veteran in the business, Mikami-san. Here's the template for the modern, cinematic third-person action/adventure game.
  4. Metal Gear Solid Tactical Espionage Action (1998) - And here's the spark. Few times before a game felt so emboldened by its creator's vision, and its storytelling kept so damned centered on not only telling a story, but making it an unforgettable experience. What a fine collection of characters, and bosses, too.
  5. Hollow Knight (2017) - This is my favorite 2D Metroidvania in existence. I could only talk to you about its wonderful world design, lore and characters... Yet, the only thing that comes to my mind when I give it thought is the way this game challenges you like few others without making you feel miserable and hopeless. The atmosphere may feel oppressive at times, but there's that something that keeps you going at that boss one more time. Cannot wait for Silksong.
Wow, that's almost 100% my ranking. While I love Hollow Knight I'd probably replace it with Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time or The Last of Us, but apart from that I couldn't have said it any better.

Last edited:

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
1. Quake - The rocket launcher is sublime, and it's my nostalgia game to remember the college days.
2. Creeper World 3 - There's something about beating back an unstoppable onslaught of water that is so satisfying. CSM puzzles are also incredibly well designed.
3. Rampage - It doesn't matter which version (though I prefer the N64). but when you want to stomp people and smash buildings rampage has you covered
4. Guild Wars 2 - My MMO of choice, I dip in for an hour or so most days and am always finding new things to do.
5. Civilization Beyond Earth - Civ 5 only with alien planets and future tech. Sign me up. Firaxis introducing vampires, heroes, etc to 6 was a misstep for me. I prefer my civ clean unless it's a spinoff. Beyond Earth is something I dig.

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
1. Rocket League - initially couldn't get into it and it just felt like it had a huge skill barrier. Some friends starting play so I got back into it. Over 4 platforms I think I now have about 500 hours on it. Still not as good as I want to be but pretty competitive, I sit around Platinum 4 to Diamond 2 usually.
2. Death Stranding - I went into this game fully expecting to hate it, despite being a big Metal Gear / Kojima fan. Turns out it was one of my favourite games ever! The music, atmosphere and story were fascinating. It's a really strange game and I feel like Kojima was kind of making fun of a lot of open world games while at the same time doing what they do so much better.
3. Metal Gear Solid - I don't really need to explain this one, it just is what it is. It changed games forever. I thought 3 was my favourite, but in hindsight I don't think any of the games after the first aged as well. The story was more simple, it was wacky without being as crazy as following entries and the characters were fantastic.
4. God Of War (2018) - when I got around to playing this game, my wife was pregnant and I was on the cusp of being a father. I couldn't have picked a more impactful time in my life to play GOW. Nurturing a young child and protecting them from the world made the game really resonate with me. It helped the game had kickass gameplay too.
5. Shenmue - picked this up as an eager 15 year old second hand from my local Gamestation, not knowing what it was at all. The box just looked really cool and it had loads of discs so I guessed it must have a lot of game for the cheap price. I didn't put it down until I finished it. I was that excited about it when I'd finished I loaned my Dreamcast and the game to a friend so I had someone to talk to about it. He also loved it and bought his own Dreamcast because of it and we scoured the internet for theories about what was happening after the second game and who was what. I happily helped fund the Kickstarter for 3, throughly enjoyed the game, just wish the story progress went further. Hope we get another.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
These, incidentally, are the only 5 games that I can give a 10/10 for:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Not without its flaws - enemy variety is poor, shrines reuse objectives just a little too much, dungeons (whilst good) are a step back from the last two Zeldas - but every flaw is so thoroughly overshadowed by BOTW's utter brilliance is its world design. No open-world, before or since, has even come close to matching the sheer sense of adventure that Hyrule offers - and the fact that Hyrule is so tightly designed - even more so than many linear games, is mind-boggling.
  2. Celeste: What can I even say about this masterpiece? Madeline controls brilliantly, with a moveset that it simultaneously easy to grasp as it is difficult to master. The level design is immaculate, squeezing every last ounce of creativity from both the level concepts and Madeline's moveset - to the point where the B-sides, C-sides and Farewell flat out utilise speedrunning techniques. The cherry on top is the game's heartfelt, well-told story that brilliantly utilises the game's difficulty as an allegory for anxiety and depression. Whilst the game demands that you get good, it at no point becomes condescending like many difficult games, but rather, is consistently encouraging the player - and it is a sin that this method of providing difficulty in games is not industry standard.
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles: Admittedly flawed mechanically, but every facet of Xenoblade's writing is at the apex of the genre. The cast is well humanised, well presented, and well developed, and the presentation of the story is utterly immaculate. Several major story moments still give me chills even after replaying the game three times.
  4. Persona 4: With brilliantly written characters, a heartfelt story about uncovering truths, clever deconstructions of JRPG tropes that remain one of the gold standards in the genre, Persona 4 is a masterstroke of characterisation where the defining aspect of every aspect of the game's writing is the simple humanity behind every member of the cast.
  5. Super Mario Galaxy: Brilliant level design, near-perfect controls, unique, varied stages, and a sense of scale that has not been matched before or since in any platformer. The closest to perfect a game has gotten.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wow, this is tough! I suppose I would approach this as games that have stuck with me most over time, so in no particular order:

1) Super Mario Bros. 3: I think think this is the best 2D platforming game ever made, even today. Level design, music, timeless graphics, spot on feel and mechanics. There's just nothing that approaches this game in the genre and it's remained that way to this day.

2) Diablo II: Again, I think this is best-of-class for its genre. I think it still looks great and the gameplay loop holds up. I could play it now and it would still threaten to soak up all my free time. It was a game I spent hours and hours playing with friends after school, grinding for SOJs, chatting, hanging out. Surprised I didn't develop some sort of hand issue with the amount of clicking I did!

3) Suikoden II: I have loved JRPGs over time, but none have stood out to me like Suikoden II. Itdoes just about everything phenomenally well. I love the story and characters. I love the castle building, the cooking! It was such an immense game that never feels overwhelming and allows you as a player to decide how much you want to engage with it. And that save data import secret is just the best.

4) Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: I know this one has a lot of issues with pacing, but when I look back at all the Zelda games I've played, this one always stands out as my favorite - even above BOTW. The graphics are amazing, it's an art style that'll never get old. I loved sailing the open (yes, barren lol) ocean, I loved the dungeons, the items, the story. It's just so, so endearing and good in so many ways.

5) NBA Jam TE: I think this is the best arcade game ever made, and it happens to be amazing on console as well. Super competitive but easy to pick up. Every game was a blast to play with friends, randoms, etc. It's just pure fun, simple, dumb fun.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
This is hard to choose 5. Let's do this.

1 - Vagrant Story
Crazy cinematic game with fantastic dialogue and atmosphere. Took a little getting used to until I understood the buffs and types but in the end I think I've beaten it 12 times and played it nearly 1000 hours.

2 - Panzer Dragoon Saga
I haven't played this in years but the world, music, art and battle system are outstanding and its one of the first games I truly fell in love with growing up.

3 - Streets of Rage 2
That. Soundtrack. Despite knowing it off by heart the game is infinitely repayable for me. Best beat em up there will ever be.

4 - Mass Effect 2
IIts just the most epic space opera game there is right now. I loved 1 and hated 3 but 2 is really in the perfect place for atmosphere, characters, set pieces and stakes.

5. - Monster Hunter World Iceborne.
Amazing weapon variety, monsters and combat options. I played this for over 1200 hours with friends for double platinums. Soundtrack is also highly underrated IMO.

Honorable mentions
Yakuza 0, Shining Force II, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Soma, SMT Nocturne, REmake, FFXII, Dark Souls, Divinity Original Sin II, Civilization 2, Alien Isolation, Sonic 2, Tenchu Wrath of Heaven, Darkest Dungeon.

OP
OP
halcali

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
1) Metal Gear Solid. Pretty easy choice played the demo to death as a kid cause I couldn't afford the game when I did eventually get it it surpassed everything I thought a video game was and could be in my opinion. For years after its release I couldn't understand why other games had bad stories or voice acting or animation. Turns out this game was a cut above and it took gaming to a new level in terms of production value and setting and voice acting.

tumblr_n2wq1o66w01qm4heyo1_r1_400.gif

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Hard to define what '5 best' mean but let's go with whatever comes to my mind:

SNES:
Super Mario World - played this when I was young and still have great memories about it, every now and then I play it on emulators as well.

PS2:
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 10/10, amazing game. And I was not even fluent in English when I played it.

PS4:
The Last of Us Remastered - my PS3 died way before I could play the original. Still have to play the second one on PS4.
The Last Guardian - I could say Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War, but this is the most unique game of the generation and I am glad I played it on launch.

Multigen:
Pro Evolution Soccer / Winning eleven - I just love every single release of this game.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
1- Skyrim
What other game lets me play as a dual wielding Orcish murder machine whose one true passion in life is stealing silverware. I'm hundreds of hours in and I've never been to see the Graybeards. The openness and ability to make my own story for the character in the Elder Scrolls is something I haven't found anyone else do as well.

2- Minecraft
It's like digital Legos. I like seeing what I can build, and digging holes

3- AKI Wrestling games on the N64
That sound when you DDT someone on the ring bell.

4- Mass Effect
Wrex high fiving me for all my bad decisions

5- PSO
I lost my self for a good year and a half to that game on the Dreamcast

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
11Mvnju.png
OuTPFTB.png
uCOUZ5m.png
GucnSgK.png
A5OSEpY.png

While I'd argue that each of these are very distinct, I think that together they paint a pretty clear picture of what games I'm drawn to the most? With the exception of TLOU, the rest are fairly open in terms of structure, and feature more abstract stories that you either make for yourself or discover through logs found in the game world. I love games that put exploration at the forefront and don't hold my hand too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  1. Killer7
    It's simply the best experience I've had with a game. Suda's storytelling combined with Mikami contributing on game design led to a near perfect work, for me. The game is a blast to play. The combat is as unique as it is satisfying, while also managing to be tense and frightening. Somehow they've combined the old school adventure game, with a railshooter and a survival horror game. Every zone is distinct and many are infinitely memorable, the characters are wonderful and the story is Suda near his peak. It's experimental and abstract in that enjoyable manner that Suda often succeeds at, yet it's not as off the rails as some of his stuff, so you're certainly going to be able to follow the narrative.
    killer7.original.jpg
  2. Deadly Premonition
    Not joking around with this choice. I think Deadly Premonition is incredible. There's a real sense of detective work that's lost in a lot of games of the genre. Every important member of the town is on a weekly schedule (the game is in some ways a successor to Shenmue). You can tail them around town, see where they go or who they meet up with. You can even pull up to their homes at night and peak in the windows. People were able to draw conclusions about guilty characters before the narrative reached directly revealed it. You feel grounded in this world, as you've got to find yourself food and gas for your car, you've got to pull into the hotel at night. The best part of the experience are the characters though. They're just so full of life and just damn loveable. The town itself feels more realized than a lot of games with twenty times the budget too
    maxresdefault.jpg
  3. REmake
    The peak of classic horror game design. Everything feels purposeful, you can see how much thought they put into every little detail. It's satisfying to find a new passage or unlock a new portion of the mansion, yet you're always on edge proceeding into the unknown. You don't have the resources to eliminate every enemy, so you're likely to pick and choose which areas of the house you'll want to clear zombies from to create routes. If you've played the original, this'll feel visually gorgeous as a remake, but the level design has been reworked for a fresh experience and the addition of crimson heads will have you as terrified as any newcomer. Personally, I think it's the best remake we've seen in gaming.
    remake_overview.jpg
  4. Silent Hill 2
    Lovely series with at least four great games. I think any of the first three Silent Hills can stand tall against any of gaming's greats, but to my interests the melancholy tone of Silent Hill 2. With it's use of quiet and reflective time, when you're paddling across Toluca Lake, traveling into town or heading through the empty park, these add so much. The lack of enemies and time to reflect and ponder what's ahead is just as meaningful. I think the two Silent Hill games that surround SH2, with their loud industrial music and relentless enemies are excellent but just not my preference in horror. I also appreciate that they went for a really challenging core theme with this game, trauma. It's a topic that's incredibly easily to mishandle, especially Angela. Going back and revisiting it this year I was shocked how decently a lot of the more delicate topics were handled.
    main-qimg-9db1abf2a81bb26842d96860447d0d0e
  5. Disco Elysium
    I think my top four are pretty locked in, but this #5 slot jumps around a lot. Last year it was almost certainly Yakuza 2 (PS2), but at the moment I can't stop thinking about Disco Elysium, not since I finished it over a year ago. I'd say it's solidly the best written game I've played. It delves into a ton of meaningful and heartfelt topics for its creators. It speaks to out current political moment more meaningfully than most games that attempt such a thing. But crucially, it's also hilarious and at times devastating or beautiful. I cannot wait to go back to Revachol next year.
    disco-elysium-scene.jpg
Honorable mentions:
Yakuza 2 (PS2), Kentucky Route Zero, Tetris, Snatcher, Haunting Ground, Dead Rising, The Last Guardian, Nier, Dark Souls

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Always hard but I think I can make a hasty list:

1. The Witcher 3

Never thought a game could knock out Ocarina Of Time away from my #1 spot but then this game came out. Just incredible. Bought all books/comic books afterwards, replayed the entire series again, then the show came out as well (though it wasn't very loyal to the books, but still). The atmosphere in this game, the soundtrack, characters, graphics, everything is just amazing.

2. Ocarina Of Time

3. Dark Souls

4. Mass Effect 2

5. Saints Row 4

Just a super quick list, but I think Cyberpunk will knock out a game on this list somewhere a year or 2 from now if all expansions/dlc and perhaps multiplayer come out and are all good. It's super close to being in this list already.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
halcali I'm pretty curious about the Front Mission games. Is Front Mission 3 on PS1 the way to play that game. I see it got a PS3 digital release too.
Also, I've got the DS port of Front Mission 1 sealed in a box somewhere. Is that something that's recommended to play play before FF3?

OP
OP
halcali

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
halcali I'm pretty curious about the Front Mission games. Is Front Mission 3 on PS1 the way to play that game. I see it got a PS3 digital release too.
Also, I've got the DS port of Front Mission 1 sealed in a box somewhere. Is that something that's recommended to play play before FF3?

oh yeah, Front Mission 1 on NDS is one of the best and most-faithful ports. It's a port of the PS1 version, and adds another full scenario!
The whole thing is great and even the music sounds great on the NDS, which cannot be said of Chrono Trigger DS...

edit: you don't need to play FM1 before FM3, as they're not directly related.

I can't speak for Front Mission 3 beyond the PS1 version, as I usually play games on their original hardware.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
A top five is impossible for me, but I'll wing it for fun.

Super Mario Bros
Ms Pac-Man
Diablo 3
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Red Dead Redemption 2

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Final Fantasy 12
Kingdom Hearts 2
Halo 2 and Halo 3

I know that's more than 5 but it's hard to leave any of those out.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Damn no love for Baldurs Gate series here? That one easily sits in my top 5 to this day, game was storytelling genius.

Aug 10, 2019
My favorites are in no particular order, though I believe that 5 is more of an amuse bouche than an actual portion.

1. Portal 2
giphy.gif

2. Metal Gear Solid
giphy.gif

3. The Last of Us Part 2
giphy.gif

4. Shadow of the Colossus
EquatorialImpeccableBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif

5. Super Mario World
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm not sure I could narrow it down to 5 and best games ever is usually closely related to how you were feeling at the time
That being said

Super Mario World - i had never seen a gamethat looked so amazing and full of secrets .
Super Metroid - the sense of discovery was beautiful
Assassins Creed 2 - fixed all the issues from ac 1. AC remains my favourite franchise to this day

I can't narrow down 2 others

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
1)Street Fighter 2 - I mean, what can you say? At the end of the day I can't think of a more perfect competitive game. And what makes it magic is how much should have gone wrong (six buttons? complex secret moves?) and a console port that people said couldn't work at the time.

2)Bloodborne - Here's the thing about AAA graphics and current gen bells and whistles. All that shit doesn't matter if the game doesn't have style. Outside of VR, Bloodborne (and really all the souls games, but this is where it hit for me) is one of the few games I felt like I was entering an entire world. An evil, hellish world that hated my entire existence, but still.

3)GTA 3 - The ultimate sandbox game. I spent JRPG levels of time just having friends over and us seeing how long we can last with 6 stars. Shit, I think I played it more like a party game now I think about it. So much fun.

4)Goldeneye - Speaking of party games....this was one of the best but managed to be as sweaty as a competitive FPS shooter when that controller is in your hands. No ones come close to replicating what they put in that cartridge, I miss playing an FPS where it wasn't about players being fucking angry while playing it. (less of a knock on the games, but how competitive FPS's have become)

5)Grand Turismo - As a heavy PC gamer at the time, probably the first time I felt console games weren't getting dumbed down and were their own force to be reckoned with. In hindsight where 'ridge racer' was a driving high point, making you earn a fucking license to even start the game was a ballsy move and in a weird way, kinda showed RPG mechanics of grinding, building your 'character' cars work everywhere.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
3. Persona 4 Golden
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Dragon Quest 5

These are the games that I think changed me the most as a person, from the way I think about things to the way I view other games.

FF8 is such a special game to me, I really felt like I became a different person when I played it. I never really had a favourite game prior to playing it, but I knew pretty quickly that it would hold a special place for me. I love everything about it. The characters, the story, the music, the world. I feel like each taught me something or helped put feelings I had into words or something I could reference too. Squall's emotions being misjudged by the people around him, Zell's eagerness and desire to help being met with ire, Seifer wanting to prove himself to someone, mostly himself etc. It's things that I've felt throughout my life and it was great experiencing it in a game like this. The game gets such a bad reputation by people who either simply didn't like it (which is fair) or who have 20 year old prejudices about it that have morphed into blatantly incorrect misconceptions (which isn't fair). It's not a perfect game. None of the games on my list are, but in my eyes a game doesn't have to be flawless to be perfect. FF8 is perfect for me, because it's the only game in existence where I can experience the things it offers. I'll always hold it close to me, until the day I die.

3rd Strike to me is the personification of being knocked down but not out. The dev team were so far ahead of their time when they made it, the game is just to above and beyond any game that came out before or after it. The characters are not traditional at all, but that's what makes them good. There's no stupid stereotypes here, just characters with quirks and flaws that make them so wholly unique compared to other characters in the series who are just shitty stereotypes turned up to 11. The game is visually glorious. Every frame is a painting. Every idle animation opens a window into a character's personality. It's truly mindblowing. More than anything though, the game is just fucking fun to play. Everyone says that the game becomes a mess once you get to certain skill level, but that's not something I have to worry about. I'm at a skill level where I can just hop on, pick my main and just have a good time listening to the music and experiencing the visuals. I know 'GOAT' is subjective, but 3S really is the greatest fighting game of all time to me. It truly is that special.

Persona 4 Golden is a case of the right game coming in at the right time. When I played this in 2017, I was in a miserable place in my life. University finals were crushing me mentally and emotionally, I felt like I had very few real friends left and the expectations from friends, family and staff were getting too much for me. While working on my dissertation film project, there was a period of about two to three weeks that were just back to back days of gruelling production work that left me with about three hours on an evening to eat some food and just try to unwind before waking up early the next day to start it all over again. I'm talking about this because I fully believe I would not have gotten through these weeks without Persona 4 Golden. I loaned it from a friend who had bought the game but never played it. I wasn't so sure about the game at first, but I quickly began enjoying it after the first dungeon. Soon enough. the only thing, the only fucking thing I had to look forward to was P4G. I would play that game every night when I'd get home, even on some nights when I didn't even have time to eat. When I would get up the next day at 5am to continue filming, thinking about the game and the characters I was growing to love was the only thing keeping me from just packing it all in and going home. I truly believe it carried me through that time, and I'll always love it for doing so.

Few games to me are truly flawless, and even in some ways I don't think RE4 is a flawless game. There are several sections that I think are very rough, and I think the Island is nowhere near as solid as the Village and Castle. That being said, if I could say any game was near-flawless, it'd be RE4. I played this game for the first time when I was probably a bit too young for it, but me and my brother were desperate to play it. I have a lot of good memories watching my brother play RE4 as a kid. It was a game we bonded over a lot, at a time shortly before he started growing out of games. When I started playing the game myself, it was something I just couldn't put down. I would spend hours playing the game, playthrough after playthrough. I'd finish the game, watch the credits, then immediately start a new game. Very few games had that control over me where I literally couldn't stop playing. It's actually gotten to the point now where I can't play RE4 anymore because I played it so much. I haven't played it in like two or three years because I'm hoping a long break will make it fresh for me again. I'm cautiously excited for the remake, but I think I'll go into it knowing it won't be as good as this absolute masterpiece.

If you've been reading my LTTP threads on Dragon Quest, you'll know this is a very recent addition for me. I played this game only a few months ago, and loved it to death. I had always kind of mentally decided that DQ5 was going to be my favourite DQ game years before I ever played it. The story seemed lightyears ahead of other entries and the generational tale of sons surpassing fathers really caught my eye. Finally playing the game though? Wow, what an experience. The characters are incredibly charming and fun to be around. The story is tragic and heartwarming. The music is sublime (fuck Sugiyama) and the locations were enchanting. There are still a few DQ games I haven't played, but I truly believe this is the peak of the series. The story, the characters; all of it touched me in a way few games have. If you can only play one DQ game, make sure it's DQ5. It truly is a fantastic experience.

Last edited:

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
1- Persona 5 - First jrpg with turn based combat i've ever played. Loved the style and the social features.
2- Demon's Souls (2009) - Haven't played the remake yet but Demon's Souls in my opinion is the best souls game. Where recent souls is more about skill test, Demon's Souls test more than just your skill. It test your knowledge and your awarness. Perfect balance between exploring and combat while recent souls is all about combat with little to no room to breath. Out of all the souls game it feels like it had the most love put into it. Everything is just perfect.
3- Shadow of the Colossus - Nothing to say here
4- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The ultimate skill test. One of the most intense combat in video games.
5- Return of the Obra Dinn - I've always wanted a good detective game and this is the one. Imo nothing comes close.

Special Mention: Life is Strange - Has a special place in my heart just because it touched me on a personal level

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The story of a boy who sets off with a gang of pirates with a goal of rescuing his sister is my favorite game of all time. It has a gorgeous world, memorable characters and locations, absolutely fantastic music, and just oozes a sense of comfy that few other games manage to do. It's art direction is absolutely gorgeous and nothing has come close to overtaking it for me. It has by far the best iteration of Ganon/dorf, my favorite iteration of Tetra, is quirky in the way it conveys emotion, and is overall a game that needed a Switch port years ago.

tenor.gif

2-5, in no specific order:

World of Warcraft
The only game I've played for 10+ years. Not necessarily consistently, but at least once or twice every year I'll get into it for a month or two to venture out into good ol' Azeroth (or whatever world happens to be poppin' at the time) once again.

PopularPlayfulAfghanhound-small.gif

Red Dead Redemption
While Rockstar created a near-perfect representation of the wild, wild west in Red Dead 2, the story Red Dead 1 tells pulls it ahead for me. John's journey of redemption is incredible, and "Far Away" kicking in right as you get to Mexico is something I'll never forget. It's perfect and gave me goosebumps for how well that moment worked.

image-asset.gif

Age of Mythology
While Age of Empires 2 is probably the better overall package (especially with it still getting expansions in 2020!), I had way more fun with Age of Mythology. This game took up a few summers from me back in the day. Playing through an Odyssey-esque story in the campaign was cool, and the hilarity of using God Powers to smite your enemies settlements and bases in the multiplayer (even if I only really ever stuck to AI) was just too fun. If Xbox Game Studios is going to continue releasing Definitive Editions for the series, I'd love to see one for this too (which, with the release of AoE III DE, is the only game in the series not to have one). Release Age of Empires IV first please!

SarcasticGrouchyGalapagosdove-small.gif

Portal 2

It's Portal, which was already an incredible little experience, but more. Fantastic, hilarious writing in Wheatley and GLaDOS, a nice multiplayer edition, and a journey that doesn't overstay it's welcome makes this a game everyone needs to play. Here's hoping for Portal 3 someday.

372adf9488d1786aa891ae9a60e883c6.gif

Jan 4, 2018
1/ Perfect Dark

giphy.gif

In my opinion, the greatest N64 multiplayer game. Some of the best weapons ever created and a killer soundtrack. Counter-Ops should have been the next evolution of co-op mode.

2/ Shadows of the Colossus

980_381312622.jpg

Amazing atmosphere. Amazing story. Amazing mysteries.

I firmly believe that Mono = the female side of Dormin = the Queen and nothing can change my mind.

3/ Eternal Darkness

ibci.png

giphy.gif

My favorite horror game, mainly because it's very faithful to H.P. Lovecraft's themes with an incredible story and a great soundtrack. The Sanity effects were mindblowing.

4/ Fallout: New Vegas

zia4.png

header_WqZjU2c-460x215.jpg

The best Fallout. The game was rushed in 18 months and tons of content got cut yet it still has incredible characters, factions and quests.

5/ Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

giphy.gif

It was a hard choice deciding between Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat 7. Both have superb stories and soundtracks but in the end I put AC7 because I loved the multiplayer component. The DLC missions are some of the best AC missions I've ever played.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
oh yeah, Front Mission 1 on NDS is one of the best and most-faithful ports. It's a port of the PS1 version, and adds another full scenario!
The whole thing is great and even the music sounds great on the NDS, which cannot be said of Chrono Trigger DS...

edit: you don't need to play FM1 before FM3, as they're not directly related.

I can't speak for Front Mission 3 beyond the PS1 version, as I usually play games on their original hardware.
Appreciate the info

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
It's ranked but the positions could change at any time.

1. Super Street Fighter 2, I played so much of this at the arcade and the SNES version. I played it daily with friends. Even once Turbo came out I usually stuck to Super. It wasn't until Alpha 2 that I really moved on.

2. Fallout New Vegas, probably my favourite single player story driven game. I loved the vibe of the Western Rat Pack SciFi wasteland setting. It felt like there were endless choices, in how to play, what dialogue to choose, which companion to buddy up with which faction to side with...and almost all of it was worthwhile seeing. I've been playing it yearly since launch.

3. Rock Band 3 ( or any of them really), I'll be the first to admit playing alone was merely an OK time but actually getting a band together was a fantastic experience. The song selection was massive, everyone could find something they at least liked a bit to sing along to. It was a party staple for a number of years at alot of my friends places.

4. PlanetSide, alot of people got hooked on MMOs in the late 90s and early 00s, the one that hooked me was PlanetSide. You could have alot of fun being a lone wolf and enjoying the chaos but taking a continent as part of a planned multi outfit assault was feeling unlike most I've had in any other game before or since. Even other MMOs and PlanetSide 2 haven't scratched the same itch.

5. Super Ghouls and Ghosts, I have always owned consoles and computers, I spent hours playing 8 bit systems but I didn't really master any until I played super g&g. It was the first game I played that gave me the feeling of a flow state.

Really only the first two are definite locks. My top 10 changes all the time depending on how I feel when writing the list but my number 1 multi and number 1 single player games haven't changed in a number of years at this point.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Favorite is a really hard term for me when it comes to games. I have favorites from different genres. I have favorites on different platforms. I've played so many games over the years that I I guess to me I'll have to just list the five games that really changed how I looked at gaming, in no particular order.

Demon's Souls (PlayStation 3)
Around the time Demon's Souls came out, I was in one hell of a rut (in my personal life, in my professional life, and in my gaming life). Games were just feeling so boring to me. The trifecta of Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Metal Gear Solid 4 disappointing me just kinda put me off of the hobby. Other games just felt so samey. Games with so few consequences as checkpoints became more and more frequent so deaths meant nothing other than a small amount of wasted time. That's when Demon's Souls came along and gave me a great challenge with real consequences when you died. It incentivized you being careful. It gave you a thrill when you actually defeated a boss and progressed. I know it sounds silly, but it really revived my love of the hobby.

Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
I'd played first person shooters on PC back since the early days of Catacomb 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Ken's Labyrinth, and Doom. Console first person shooters were always something that just either were neutered when it came to graphics or controls. Many were poor ports (SNES port of Doom and Wolf 3D, PSX port of Duke Nukem, etc). And then Halo came out. Cooperative split screen, good AI enemies, actual AI good guys, fun story, great music, great controls. It was just such a "holy shit" moment for me, and it really shaped the landscape of console shooters going forward.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PlayStation)
I'd never played a tactical strategy game, but I was very familiar with Final Fantasy games. Seeing the title with "tactics" in the name made my young brain think it was some sort of video with tactics for a bunch of the Final Fantasy games. After finally getting my hands on the box and being able to look at it, I realized it was a completely different game all together. Instantly I fell in love with the game. The tactical gameplay, the deep story that pulls no punches, that Sakimoto score. It made me fall in love with the genre and I have forever awaited a sequel. Maybe some day. I'd happily settle for an HD remaster of War of the Lions with fixed animation / sound timings.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation)
I often described Castlevania as my religion when I was younger. I loved the games, all of them, as difficult as they were. When Symphony of the Night came along, I was blown away. I liked the game a lot when I first played it. The music, the visuals, the gameplay. Alucard's booming Batman voice. However, I was young and stupid, thinking the game as over after you defeat Richter. I didn't like how short the game was, but the originals weren't exactly long, so I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until an issue of PSM or EGM where I realized I missed a large chunk of the game that I replayed it and fell in absolute love. I can now 200.6% the game from memory.

Silent Hill (PlayStation)
When I first experienced Resident Evil on the PS1, I realized how much I loved horror games. But one thing that kinda bothered me was that the evil was all man made. It wasn't that Doom style evil of actual demons. Then Silent Hill came along and gave me what I crave. Actual evil in a survival horror game. The low poly models of the PS1 just made the creatures and environments even more horrifying, and the cult storyline enthralled me. Yamaoka's music added to the environment perfectly.

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
1: Borderlands 1
I've played thousands of hours of this since its launch. The RNG on guns makes every run feel different and the nostalgia factor of playing with my buddy keeps us both coming back year after year.

2. Minecraft
Trapped on a island and can only play one game for the rest of my life, this is it. Been playing since the early alpha days and its hard to believe what we have today is the same game.

3. Super Mario World
This was the game that sold me on gaming as a hobby. I remember playing on the SNES for hours and hours on end as a kid and finally getting to the end and beating the game was something I'll always remember, first game I ever finished.

4. Diablo 3
Just an amazing game with unbelievable replay value. I fall into the trap of booting it up pretty much every year and get into a season of grinding or get a hardcore character going and seeing how far I can make it.

5. Call of Duty 2
The first online multiplayer game I played. Great map design, great guns (Kar98k is my favorite gun from any game) and a great community. Some of the people I met playing on that game are friends in real life to this day.