• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Edit: Here's a post giving some context on what happened and why I'm ranting:

www.resetera.com

There's probably already a thread about this, but anyone starting to kinda hate George Martin after the Hugo Awards?

Edit: Here's a post giving some context on what happened and why I'm ranting: https://www.resetera.com/threads/theres-probably-already-a-thread-about-this-but-anyone-starting-to-kinda-hate-george-martin-after-the-hugo-awards.269310/#post-42704754 In addition, here's the full live-stream...

Basically, George R.R. Martin hosted the ceremony, which was a recorded video due to the whole COVID-19 thing. A few things went wrong:

• In short: The impression people took away was that, as cool as it was to celebrate all these women and people of colour getting awards, what was really important was that everyone understood the greatness of a couple old dead bigoted white dudes. And so time and effort were allocated accordingly for the ceremony.
  • He mispronounced loads of names, including many of the non-white ones, even though they'd all been asked to send in pronunciation guides to avoid that exact thing (note my comment above that he claims he wasn't given all of the guides).
  • He spent a lot of time going on and on randomly telling stories about the good old days. A lot of this involved singing the praises of the likes of John Campbell and Robert Heinlein, who were pretty awful people. Also venting about how events like WorldCon sucked now that there are too many people attending, unlike in the 60s/70s/80s.
    • Note: One of the awards, the Astounding Award for Best New Writer, used to be called the "John W. Campbell Award" literally until this year when it got renamed because Campbell was a "fucking fascist", to quote last year's winner, and people weren't really happy about it. So going on about him again and again throughout the ceremony was astoundingly (heh) tone-deaf at best.
    • For example, there was a bit where he acknowledged N.K. Jemisin's winning of three consecutive Hugos for Best Novel as he was awarding her with Best Novelette, and then immediately segwayed into a long story about how cool it was when Heinlein won three Hugos in nine years.
  • The other co-hosts/speakers similarly gushed about old racists, with one also apparently doing an extended joke about how the Oscar statue can't depict a real man because it doesn't have a dick.
  • They'd also awarded Retro Hugo awards just beforehand to John Campbell and H.P. Lovecraft.
  • For context, the lionisation of awful old white racist science-fiction authors is an ongoing controversy surrounding the Hugos, especially as the winners and nominees are increasingly diverse and have been quite vocal in their distaste for nostalgic bullshit. It's hard not to see Martin's gushing over these people, which he seems to have viewed as a sort of history lesson according to his later remarks, as a sort of unsubtle backlash to people of colour not wanting to celebrate racists and misogynists all the time.

In addition, here's the full live-stream:

And I feel that NK Jemisin's Tweets are relevant in this topic:

And here's the original rant that I made (there should be more links down below that further expand on what happened):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I read about what happened at the Hugo Awards with GRRM and I gotta say: while I still plan to actually see it for myself (I'm almost afraid to) I'm already kinda pissed. And it's not even GRRM himself, but the fact that the fiasco itself touched on something that I've been thinking about lately. That is: when I was living in the 2000s and I was reading whatever I could find, I was never all that impressed by what I read. Sure I worshiped Harry Potter as a kid, but even then, I always thought: man, wouldn't it be cool if there was an Arab-analogue or Ottoman-analogue setting in fiction? Or at least a smaller ratio of white people compared to non-white people? Or maybe non-European fantasy? And hey, I'm sure there is if you look hard enough. I even made an entire list for myself of Middle-East inspired fantasy, for example. And aside from me reading Roadside Picnic, I'm currently reading N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth series.

Things are changing, obviously, but this obsession with the literary "greats" rubs me the wrong way. We often say "Oh, but look what they did for the genre." But what about how they held the genre back? And what about all the great literary works that we'll never know about that were never translated into English? I'm just saying, as a guy that used to read the Cthulhu mythos, I must say that I hope that H.P. Lovecraft never gets an award (and yes, I realize that he did, but that's what I'm driving at). His work, now that I'm older, frankly disgusts me. I know that some may think I'm going too far but people like Heinlein were never as good as people made them out to be. So I don't get the whole "good ole' days" vibe from older authors, generally white boomers (and if that's a bad word, I'll gladly change it, but I just have to let it out right now).

Look, I liked A Song of Ice and Fire when I was younger, when I didn't know that there were other works to really compare it to. Hell, my favorite book in the series was book 5 (not book 3, but book 5). But his recent supplementary material, such as Fire and Blood, is filled with trashy smut, as if this guy is still stuck in the 1990s (and doing a reread of the A Song of Ice and Fire series, it reads like it's still stuck in the 1990s). I mean, I'm sorry, I'm pretty "old-fashioned" in my tastes (at least when it comes to storytelling in a sense that's hard to explain) but my disagreements with how some books are written nowadays does not extend to me lionizing the "good ole' days." I couldn't stand Glen Cook's The Black Company compared to the books coming out nowadays. I think the authors of today are better than the authors of yesteryear.

Why am I ranting about the Hugo Awards when I haven't (yet) seen it? Because I've been thinking about this very same topic for years and quite frankly I'm just trying to articulate my thoughts as I type this down. Yes, yes, I know, first-world problems, I got no real right to complain compared to other people, but I've noticed that we're still stuck in the phase where fiction written by non-whites, women, and foreigners are just "ethnic fiction" or "LGBT fiction." I mean, how many authors were passed over that we'll never know about for Heinlein? And whose to say that Heinlein "propelled" the genre forward? What about all the mistakes that were emulated that originated with him? I know that "history being written by the victor" is a cliche, but in this case, it's entirely applicable.

Sorry, I know that some lurkers reading this will think that I'm just another "wokescold" on ResetEra or some shit, but I just need to get this out there, you know? Frankly, I can't stand a work like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I read it all the way through. And I regret it. Yes, I still read fiction and I plan to read Ann Leckie's recent work soon, but today's literary fiction still pays homage to all these "great writers" that only nerds like. Yes, yes, I know, that's probably unfair, and maybe hypocritical coming from me, but seeing my own brother act like the SJWs are the biggest problem out there (and a constant topic of conversation for him) grates on you. I honestly never felt comfortable talking about racism or sexism or homophobia or transphobia or so on and so forth because it was always "Look! Look over there! It's the wokescolds!" I have to use the smile-and-nod tactic (not literally, mind you, but I think you get the point) with some of my family members when it comes to this topic of conversation.

And yet, I see white men mostly make it in terms of recognition with a mostly white cast of prominent characters. I. Am. Fucking. Done. Having to notice these things, but not talk about it except in my extremely OCD mind or occasionally on the Internet is grating. Goddamn. Sorry, I know, first-world problems, I guess, but when I was compiling a list of Middle-Eastern or Arab authors of fantasy and scifi, I could barely find any (and I found dozens, don't get me wrong, but you could easily find more white authors gaining recognition than you do non-white authors). God, so sick of this racist bullshit.

Welp, I hope you guys enjoyed my rant. Or not. I dunno. I was busy all day with other things, but when I learned about what happened an hour ago, it just got me going, you know? Maybe I need better self-control, but fuck, sorry, for me, this has been going on for twenty fucking years (since I started reading) with me always wondering why I saw mostly the same setting with mostly the same skin color with mostly the same gender with mostly the same... You get the point.

Okay, I'm done. Gonna grab something to eat. Sorry you had to read this (or maybe you didn't, which is just as fine). And then I'll watch GRRM and the Hugo Awards since I might as well find out just how people got so (rightfully) worked up about it. I'm just worked up myself because, even though I haven't seen it, it's stuff that I've been thinking about for years now.

And yeah, the lurkers will say that it's just another day at ResetEra and so will maybe some people here, but there you go. Just had to air my grievance, or whatever you call it.

Ciao.

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much to add besides the fact that I've been reading the first book of the Broken Earth trilogy and it's a refreshing take on the fantasy genre. It definitely helps that the female characters are written by a woman.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
There may be some kind of point in all that but it honestly comes off like a rambling mess and I couldn't get through it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I had never heard the term "wokescold" before, and the first thing I saw when I searched for it on my phone was a Ben Shapiro podcast.

How many times has your brother used that word?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
ASOIAF is one of my all-time faves but it's definitely an extremely problematic series with its depictions of gender and race. In that regard GRRM's behaviour at the Hugos was disappointing but not surprising.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I recall him saying at some convention that he identified as a feminist, although with a bizarre caveat to the effect of "I was a feminist when that word meant to lift up femininity, nowadays women just want to be men and I suspect I may have been left behind by the movement". It must have been in like 2012, and I was a less socially aware person then, so I kind of just forgot about it.

Totally unaware of this new Hugo's thing. Looks like I have a small rabbit hole to vanish down. Also if anyone can place that thing I mentioned on more concrete ground like a video source, that would be cool because it's a ghost of a memory at this point. I have never seen anybody else discuss it.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP needs some kind of context.
This years Hugo awards presented by GRRM were kind of a clusterfuck, of the "out of touch old man ramblingabout shit nobody cares about instead of the people he is there to honor" variety.

Also he fucked up the pronounciation of every name more complicated than John Smith. Which is a bit of a feat, considering people provided pronounciation guides and the entire thing was prerecorded.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Reading the details and context of it definitely reminded me that he's an old ass white man at the end of the day

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah....I'm very confused at this huge rambling post with no context and it seems like the OP is not even sure of the context themselves as they have not watched the awards they are ranting about?

OP, what's the deal with this awards show?

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
So err what did happen with GRRM at the Hugo awards? Tldr please
I'm watching it right now, but here's something that I read in another forum:

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Hugo Awards 2020 News

George RR Martin was the host this year... and apparently was hugely bad. Thoughts from anyone who watched? http://www.pretty-terrible.com/george-r-r-martin-2020-hugo-awards/ https://io9.gizmodo.com/here-are-the-2020-hugo-award-winners-1844579368 Best Novel A Memory Called Empire, by...

Here's the live-stream:

www.youtube.com

Hugo Awards 2020 (HD Edit)

George R.R. Martin hosts the awards as Toastmaster of the 78th World Science Fiction Convention,The first on-line, "virtual," version of the Science Fiction...

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah....I'm very confused at this huge rambling post with no context and it seems like the OP is not even sure of the context themselves as they have not watched the awards they are ranting about?

OP, what's the deal with this awards show?
Here's what I read:

Basically, George R.R. Martin hosted the ceremony, which was a recorded video due to the whole COVID-19 thing. A few things went wrong:

• In short: The impression people took away was that, as cool as it was to celebrate all these women and people of colour getting awards, what was really important was that everyone understood the greatness of a couple old dead bigoted white dudes. And so time and effort were allocated accordingly for the ceremony.
  • He mispronounced loads of names, including many of the non-white ones, even though they'd all been asked to send in pronunciation guides to avoid that exact thing (note my comment above that he claims he wasn't given all of the guides).
  • He spent a lot of time going on and on randomly telling stories about the good old days. A lot of this involved singing the praises of the likes of John Campbell and Robert Heinlein, who were pretty awful people. Also venting about how events like WorldCon sucked now that there are too many people attending, unlike in the 60s/70s/80s.
    • Note: One of the awards, the Astounding Award for Best New Writer, used to be called the "John W. Campbell Award" literally until this year when it got renamed because Campbell was a "fucking fascist", to quote last year's winner, and people weren't really happy about it. So going on about him again and again throughout the ceremony was astoundingly (heh) tone-deaf at best.
    • For example, there was a bit where he acknowledged N.K. Jemisin's winning of three consecutive Hugos for Best Novel as he was awarding her with Best Novelette, and then immediately segwayed into a long story about how cool it was when Heinlein won three Hugos in nine years.
  • The other co-hosts/speakers similarly gushed about old racists, with one also apparently doing an extended joke about how the Oscar statue can't depict a real man because it doesn't have a dick.
  • They'd also awarded Retro Hugo awards just beforehand to John Campbell and H.P. Lovecraft.
  • For context, the lionisation of awful old white racist science-fiction authors is an ongoing controversy surrounding the Hugos, especially as the winners and nominees are increasingly diverse and have been quite vocal in their distaste for nostalgic bullshit. It's hard not to see Martin's gushing over these people, which he seems to have viewed as a sort of history lesson according to his later remarks, as a sort of unsubtle backlash to people of colour not wanting to celebrate racists and misogynists all the time.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Three paragraphs into the OP and I still have no idea what Martin did.
Yeah, I'm sorry.

io9.gizmodo.com

Here Are the 2020 Hugo Award Winners

It’s that time of year. The coronavirus can’t stop the brightest and nerdiest in science fiction from gathering (digitally, safely, from their homes) to celebrate the annual Hugo Awards, given to a variety of the best and brightest in the genre. This year, the celebrations were hosted by George...

www.pretty-terrible.com

George R.R. Martin Can Fuck Off Into the Sun, or: The 2020 Hugo Awards Ceremony (RageBlog Edition)

As I said elseweb, I am thoroughly thrilled by all the folks who won Hugos tonight. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I no longer have a voice to speak: we are living in…

Last article gives a good rundown.

GRRM basically mispronounced names and made lots of comments praising fascist people such as Heinlein.

Sorry, I should have provided some articles and I'm sorry but this was mostly for me to vent out my anger.

My apologies, everyone, I should have provided some context.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
This is a pretty good thread related to this issue.

Also, read this post here for some context:

www.resetera.com

There's probably already a thread about this, but anyone starting to kinda hate George Martin after the Hugo Awards?

Edit: Here's a post giving some context on what happened and why I'm ranting: https://www.resetera.com/threads/theres-probably-already-a-thread-about-this-but-anyone-starting-to-kinda-hate-george-martin-after-the-hugo-awards.269310/#post-42704754 In addition, here's the full live-stream...

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
So err what did happen with GRRM at the Hugo awards? Tldr please
1. Misprounonced a lot of non-white people's names and works, despite those segments being pre-recorded and the Hugos specifically asking for pronunciations so that this didn't happen

2. This year, after like 50 years, they renamed the John W Campbell award because he was super fucking racist (argued that slavery should have went on longer for the economic benefits iirc), and Martin went into a 40 minute rambling story about how fun it was hanging out with all these authors back in the day, one of which being John Campbell

3. (I missed this one so I'm not 100% sure) Made several jokes about the Oscar statuette not having genitals and he didn't know if it was a man or a woman, which many people thought was trandphobic

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
1. Misprounonced a lot of non-white people's names and works, despite those segments being pre-recorded and the Hugos specifically asking for pronunciations so that this didn't happen

2. This year, after like 50 years, they renamed the John W Campbell award because he was super fucking racist (argued that slavery should have went on longer for the economic benefits iirc), and Martin went into a 40 minute rambling story about how fun it was hanging out with all these authors back in the day, one of which being John Campbell

3. (I missed this one so I'm not 100% sure) Made several jokes about the Oscar statuette not having genitals and he didn't know if it was a man or a woman, which many people thought was trandphobic
He hasn't really apologized.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry.

io9.gizmodo.com

Here Are the 2020 Hugo Award Winners

It’s that time of year. The coronavirus can’t stop the brightest and nerdiest in science fiction from gathering (digitally, safely, from their homes) to celebrate the annual Hugo Awards, given to a variety of the best and brightest in the genre. This year, the celebrations were hosted by George...

www.pretty-terrible.com

George R.R. Martin Can Fuck Off Into the Sun, or: The 2020 Hugo Awards Ceremony (RageBlog Edition)

As I said elseweb, I am thoroughly thrilled by all the folks who won Hugos tonight. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I no longer have a voice to speak: we are living in…

Last article gives a good rundown.

GRRM basically mispronounced names and made lots of comments praising fascist people such as Heinlein.

Sorry, I should have provided some articles and I'm sorry but this was mostly for me to vent out my anger.

My apologies, everyone, I should have provided some context.
No worries. Yeah it seems like Martin really showed his ass. Has he commented after the criticism?

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
No worries. Yeah it seems like Martin really showed his ass. Has he commented after the criticism?
So far, this is what I've found.

I think he made a slightly longer statement on the issue in some blog of his, but from what others have told me, he didn't issue any apology and just kinda double-downed on the messaging of this Tweet that he recently made.

I'm going to check it right now, but I'm listening to the video right now (the Hugo Awards) and it's literally just him rambling.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
He apologized here:

file770.com

2020 Hugo Awards

2020 Hugo Design by John Flower CoNZealand presented the 2020 Hugo Awards in an online ceremony today. Full voting statistics are here. Deputy Hugo Administrator Nicholas Whyte’s analysis is here. …
file770.com

2020 Hugo Awards

2020 Hugo Design by John Flower CoNZealand presented the 2020 Hugo Awards in an online ceremony today. Full voting statistics are here. Deputy Hugo Administrator Nicholas Whyte’s analysis is here. …

Here's the whole post:

Whoever is circulating the story that I was asked to re-record portions of my Hugo hosting to correct mispronounced names, and that I refused, is (1) mistaken, or (2) lying. Never happened.

CoNZealand did ask me to re-record three of my videos, all for reasons for quality control: poor lighting, poor sound, wobbly camera. I complied with their request on two of the videos, the two that opened the evening; I re-did those live from the JCC. (The originals had been done in my cabin on an iPhone, when we were just trying to get the hang of this thing). The third segment they wanted re-recorded was the bit about the Hugo trophy, where I had some fun with the juicer, the Alfie, and the like. In that case, we decided to stay with the first take, since I no longer had the props on hand and could not easily have reproduced what I'd done at the cabin, which everyone seemed to like.

There is also a story out there that I was provided with the correct phonetic pronunciations of all the names. That too is completely untrue. Last night at the event I was handed sealed envelopes with the names of the winners, and there were phonetic pronunciations for SOME (by no means all) of the names of those winners on the cards, which I had a second or two to digest before reading them out. I probably got some of those wrong as well. Pronunciation has never been my strong suit. I even mispronounce the name of my own characters at times (witness some of my interviews). But at no point in the process was I ever given a phonetic guide to how to pronounce all the other finalists, the ones who did not win. Had I received that, I would certainly have made every effort to get all the names correct. (I do fear I would have messed some of them up in any case. We all have strengths and weaknesses, and I freely admit, this is one of my weaknesses. I still have trouble with the name of one of my own assistants).

I do hereby apologize to everyone and anyone whose name I mispronounced. I am deeply sorry. That was never my intent.

When John Picacio was toastmaster, he went around during the pre-Hugo reception with pad in hand and asked some of the nominees how to pronounce their names. In some cases he had to rehearse the correct pronunciation with the finalists several times to get it down. I was at the party too. I saw John do this. I admired him for it. It was always in the back of my mind to do the same.. but of course, at our virtual worldcon, we never had that opportunity. I never had the chance to actually MEET some of the newer finalists, congratulate them, shake their hands, and ask about their names. Let alone practice with them until I got it right.

Someone out there right now is saying I could have done all that by email. Yes, I guess I could have. But it would have been a daunting task. There were something like 120 finalists, and I had email addresses for maybe six of them.

If you want to slam me for failing to do that, fine. But don't slam me with lies as with the "refused to retape" and "had the phonetic guide but did not use it" stories, which are purest bullshit.

Regardless of what sins of omission and commission were committed by others, the ultimate responsibility was surely mine, since it was my mouth those names were coming out of… so once again, I am sorry.

As to the general tenor of my toasting… my intent from the very start was to make the evening one of fun and celebration. Since I expected a great many of those present to be Kiwis attending their con, I thought laying out the history of the awards was more than appropriate. Where the Hugos came from, how the trophy evolved over the decades, who has won it in the past — and who has lost it, something I tried to stress throughout, given my long history as a Hugo loser. Plus amusing anecdotes. The year Lester gave the awards backwards, the year RAH burst from the kitchen, etc.

I have not attended as many Hugo Awards ceremonies as Silverbob, but I have attended a lot of them. There are a couple of different approaches to being a toastmaster. Marta Randall, in her two gigs, took pride in how fast she could get through the evening, setting records each time for shortest Hugos ever. Connie Willis, on the other hand, likes to draw things out with amusing stories and keep the finalists squirming as long as possible. As a member of the audience, I definitely prefer long-and-funny, like Connie, not short-and-sweet, like Marta. My role models were some of the toastmasters I mentioned: Bob Tucker, Bob Bloch, Asimov, Harlan, and above all Silverbob.

I recognize that your mileage may vary. A lot of people loved the way Marta MC'd her two events.

Of course, every host has his or her own style of humor. Some, like Ricky Gervais, train their wit on the presenters and nominees. Which works wonderfully at the Golden Globes, but I rather sense would not have been well received at the Hugos, considering the nasty brouhaha a few years back when another British comic was lined up to present. He was run off before he could even say a word. My own style is always been more self-deprecating; the main butt of all my stories is always myself.
Most of the stories I told last night were time-tested, in a sense. I have told those same stories before. Usually they get big laughs. Or medium sized laughs, in any case. That was what I was hoping to hear from the audience in Wellington. Laughs. And appreciation for the long and colorful history of this field we all love: the writers, the editors, the fans, the living and the dead.

The Hugos themselves are how we celebrate the winners. The honor of being nominated is how we celebrate the losers… (and the hope that one day, the losers too may be winners, as I was eventually — which I why I tell THAT story, to give solace to the recently defeated).

Anyway, that was my approach. Next year's toastmaster will have a different one, no doubt. I regret that some of you did not enjoy my hosting. And I am pleased to hear that so many of you did (well, not here on FILE 770, but I am getting lots of nice texts and emails from people who did laugh in the right places). Obviously I wish I could have been everyone's favorite toastmaster of all time, but you can't please all the people all the time.

(Almost everyone liked the hats, at least).

I can't say that I like the apology because it doesn't cover everything and it really is just his word against the people that broke the story about him receiving the correct pronunciations.

Really, it's not just Martin that was problem for me, but the fact that H.P. Lovecraft and Joseph Campbell for lionized recently.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they're giving pieces of shit like Lovecraft awards in 2020 says pretty much everything that needs to be said about the Hugo awards.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Sorry, here's the context.

www.resetera.com

I can provide you more, but yeah, I really could've done that at the beginning.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I read:

Well that's a yikes, thanks for elaborating.

Oct 25, 2017
GRRM deserves a lot of blame but the whole thing was a disaster and it went beyond just what he said and did.

I actually watched it as it was airing and couldn't believe some of what I was seeing/hearing. I hesitate to use the word because I feel it gets overused so much, but hearing GRRM say that the woman who was appearing with him on a segment was "conceived at a WorldCon" just made me cringe. Talking about the genitalia of the Oscars statue I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said out loud at least three different times that he should just shut up and get on with the show.

I follow quite a few authors on twitter and many of them were just as disgusted by the entire thing, including a few winners.

I view the Hugos as a way to expose myself to new things and new authors and things I maybe wouldn't have been interested in at first glance and having to hear people drone on and on and on about people from the past, especially ones who have been honored enough already or are pretty much disgraced because of the views they held.

I also feel for the New Zealand community for having their own award ceremony (Sir Julius Vogel Awards) basically get a completely shit timeslot many seemed to miss.

WorldCon is coming to Chicago in a couple years and I was seriously considering participating but I hesitate to really do that now after this. I just don't want to be a part of a disaster like this.

Also keep in mind this really had nothing to do with being a virtual show. I can 100% overlook any glitches or technical issues that popped up. It was just everything else that by the end of the night I was just hoping they would hurry along and get awards awarded and end things.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
GRRM deserves a lot of blame but the whole thing was a disaster and it went beyond just what he said and did.

I actually watched it as it was airing and couldn't believe some of what I was seeing/hearing. I hesitate to use the word because I feel it gets overused so much, but hearing GRRM say that the woman who was appearing with him on a segment was "conceived at a WorldCon" just made me cringe. Talking about the genitalia of the Oscars statue I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said out loud at least three different times that he should just shut up and get on with the show.

I follow quite a few authors on twitter and many of them were just as disgusted by the entire thing, including a few winners.

I view the Hugos as a way to expose myself to new things and new authors and things I maybe wouldn't have been interested in at first glance and having to hear people drone on and on and on about people from the past, especially ones who have been honored enough already or are pretty much disgraced because of the views they held.

I also feel for the New Zealand community for having their own award ceremony (Sir Julius Vogel Awards) basically get a completely shit timeslot many seemed to miss.

WorldCon is coming to Chicago in a couple years and I was seriously considering participating but I hesitate to really do that now after this. I just don't want to be a part of a disaster like this.

Also keep in mind this really had nothing to do with being a virtual show. I can 100% overlook any glitches or technical issues that popped up. It was just everything else that by the end of the night I was just hoping they would hurry along and get awards awarded and end things.

I'm listening to it right now and it's horrible.

Absolutely horrid.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation and environment that led to it is just so shitty. And people wonder why we complain that these spaces are not inclusive. On a less important note, while I was never a fan of GRMM (I only got through the first three ASOIF books), I get the disappointment and hurt from his fans who expected better.

And I feel you about the more general points about fantasy and science fiction. Even on this forum, any time a thread comes up, most of the books recommended are usually older works almost exclusively by white male authors. So much so that I'm currently working on a recommendation thread for fantasy and sci-fi books written by people of color and women. As well as a thread for young adult works that get overlooked because of Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games. I'd love to see your list of Middle-Eastern or Arab authors and incorporate it into the thread!

But what about how they held the genre back? And what about all the great literary works that we'll never know about that were never translated into English?
These are really good points I just wanted to highlight. As to your second point, the English speaking world can be very Anglocentric. Knowing only one or a couple of languages is frustrating as a reader who wants to branch out more. I'm glad about the translation being done by folks like Ken Liu and I want there to be so much more, but ultimately the only way to fully appreciate the breadth of a country's literary output is to learn its language(s).

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

#1 I can forgive because honestly a lot of white people can't pronounce my name and I don't really take offense to it - pronunciation is hard. I can't always pronounce their names either, English isn't my first language. I think forgive is not the right word as I'm not one of the people whose name he mispronounced, but I personally can't ever fault anyone for mispronouncing my name when I don't want to be made fun of due to my accent. The rest though, plus the non-apology.......ehhhhhhhhhhh. Not a good move at all, and I'm not sure he gets why people were upset.

Last edited:

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I think people put too much stock into award ceremonies. Fuck em.

Mind listing some of the lesser known writers you are into OP? I'd like to check them out.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I stopped caring about GRRM the man back around 2015. Other writers seem extremely grateful for their fans. Through his inaction and the way he spoke during con appearances, panels, etc, he seemed to be content on never giving the fans who made him rich what they want. He was high on himself, apathetic towards getting back to work, and supportive of writers that should have been forgotten to time (which I think all showed during these Hugo Awards). It's one thing to enjoy their work, it's another to celebrate the person.

I'm glad he did this, because now it feels like many more people are finally coming to the conclusion I did around five years ago.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Martin doesn't seem the type to lie, so I believe him about not receiving a pronunciation guide to most people's names -- let alone sufficiently ahead of time enough to really look at them -- or having the means to contact the 120 nominees. That seems like an eminently believable breakdown of communication, especially during a year like this with COVID work-from-home measures.

Obviously, that doesn't excuse the content or focus of his hosting duties. He should have demonstrated more conscientiousness, and been reined in before or after he'd sent in the tapes, especially considering he already consented to doing 2 re-recordings.

The reality is that an awkward, decidedly Not Online old ass white guy, with a known propensity to wax poetic about ceremonies past, was probably not the correct choice to be host, so combined with the apparent failure on the organization's part to communicate with or rein him in, I tentatively put more blame on them to be honest.

Hopefully this was a learning experience for him. I don't hate him by any stretch, since the themes and politics of his decades-old books, while far from perfect, are at least more forward-thinking and idealistic than I'd expect from someone like him, and way better than the hateful nihilistic garbage that was the GoT show. But he should want to do better, and these spaces and organizations need way more inclusivity, which would help preempt scenarios like this.