• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
Having to wait a week because your parents wanted you to do something early morning.

Absolute hell

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The inescapable dread of waking up early on Sunday and realizing that literally the only thing on tv was the 700 Club and sermons on every channel

in a pre-internet world when the weather was bad so you couldn't go outside to play, that was torture

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Legit nothing fucks with your day when you wake up too late to watch cartoons. Catching like the last 10 minutes of a brand new Ducktales and then have to watch the 10am local news. It's like eating soap.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Purgatory for me was having a sick day where you weren't super sick so you could still enjoy TV...but since you just had broadcast the highlight of the daytime shows was the 12pm news. Everything else after 9am was infomercials and soap operas.

One morning I woke up early to meet Jack Hanna.
0-FBFC104-C5-B0-4-E0-D-8951-2-B502-E7-A81-FA.jpg

I'm jealous

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Weekday mornings sucked too because no one showed cartoons until I was like 17. Until DB and Sailor Moon came on TV we just had Honeymooners or I Love Lucy to watch from 6-7am when we had to leave for school. And even then I was "done with" cartoons so I didn't even watch those.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what people watch on TV these days besides sports and news. Like to just watch. I turned on my TV Saturday morning and looked at the old sat morning cartoon channels and it's all infomercials.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s, I had Marty Stouffer's Wild America. Always wondered if that was widespread or not.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK we had an *excellent* tradition of Saturday Morning magazine shows. Some rather cheaper than others, admittedly!

I miss 'em, and there's precious few - for obvious reasons (pop performances and cartoons) on Youtube.
Tiswas:

Going Live:

SM:TV Live

Dick and Dom In Da Bungalow

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I identify with this thread even though it wasn't Jack Hanna, but some old dated show that was probably never seen outside of Canada. Saturday morning cartoons was an event for me for many years.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno, it was pretty bad getting up early on Sunday morning and only finding Davey & Goliath.

51XQSZ3CH0L.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty spot on. Or waking up at like 6:30 on Christmas morning and turning to a Tiger Electrics shitty baseball game for like 90 mins desperate to kill time.

With streaming, though, this is all lost. Being bored is lost.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
He's like a knock-off American version of Steve Irwin. I ain't mad at him I guess.
No Jack Hannah predates Steve Irwin. Steve is a cooler version but Jack was first.

Also living in Ohio he's pretty well thought of and that show was pretty popular here. But when I was a kid, 3 Stooges were on before cartoons.

And like Slayven I remember channels being off the air until 5am.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever we woke up alone too early it was always Candle Cove playing. Over and over….

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is what I remember watching before the Saturday morning block started:

I recently learned Alice's Adventures in Wonderland had an episode with OJ Simpson in it but never aired for obvious reasons.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
In the UK I remember trying to wake up really early so I could watch Laurel and Hardy. It was like magic when I did catch it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Aww! Now I'm even more nostalgic for those Magic Bullet informercials! My little Sister and I would love watching them at midnight back in the day.

Less than two minutes in and already they're too lazy to just wisk some eggs for an omelette.

This would also come on fairly often before programing

Damn, looked up this guy after seeing this and remembering seeing this drivel and boy, did that Wikipedia entry go dark really quick.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
And as soon as the cartoons were over it was sports or some sort of tax subsidy mandated edutainment show with a budget of seven dollars.

The inescapable dread of waking up early on Sunday and realizing that literally the only thing on tv was the 700 Club and sermons on every channel

in a pre-internet world when the weather was bad so you couldn't go outside to play, that was torture

It wasn't even made better by having Nickelodeon or Disney Channel as their Sunday programming usually sucked until prime time. It'd usually just be a marathon of one or two shows that you're already sick of.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I was always a late sleeper, so in order to watch the early cartoons, I would have to try (usually in vain) to program the VCR on Friday night. I might be able to catch a few in the morning before cartoons were over and the 700 Club came on.

Amedo310

Nov 15, 2017
Omg. I've only been through this many times in the 90s for WB and Fox Kids until the 00s where shows like Dharma and Greg, Xena, Hercules, Mutant X, and Beast Master aired in the early morning. I honestly got hooked to those live shows more than the cartoons.

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Jack Hanna was always the "after" saturday morning cartoons thing. like right around 1030/11am or so. With the rest of the edutainment block that was mostly live action tv and rarely a cartoon.

my early morning shows before the cartoons started was The Three Stooges, I Love Lucy and Romper Room

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
joke's on you, they used to play a block of saved by the bell and a different world on tbs at like 4am. I'd just watch that til the cartoons started

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Having to wait a week because your parents wanted you to do something early morning.

Absolute hell
Not specific to Saturday morning but being out of town or traveling when you knew some big episode or some shit was about to go down based on the cliffhanger the week before was always tough.

Yes I would like to go to my cousins wedding but why did it have to happen at the same time we were getting a season finale to Star Trek or a game 7 of the NBA Finals?

Also I might have been weird but I was ok with Jack Hanna. It was no TurboTeen but not much can compete with a teenager that can turn into a car.

Jul 16, 2020
For me, as an 80s kid in the Midwest, the morning schedule was as follows:
Test pattern
U.S. Farm Report
USA Cartoon Express
The test pattern was better than the farm report.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
You knew cartoons were finally about to start when the static image:
672px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg.png

finally switched to this!

EDIT: also this one later:

OP
OP
Lionel Mandrake

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This was the sign for me that Saturday morning cartoons were over for me

Soul Train was FOX.
CBS would usually switch over to golf or racing.
I didn't really bother with NBC's Saturday mornings.
With ABC, sometimes you'd get lucky and they'd play a movie or something after their cartoon block.
You're only real hope of keeping the vibe going was to find a UHF station playing something weird.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Anybody here old enough to remember how every time Scooby Doo came on you would hope it was the Batman episode and it never was?

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I watched jack hanna and didn't watch the cartoons

if that's purgatory, I guess I probably never left. it's not so bad here, I promise

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had him too. Enjoyyy Our Wild Amerrrica.

Sadly, Stouffer turned out to be a d-bag iirc.

Yeah I googled him after posting that, turns out he was accused of faking footage and making tame animals fight and stuff? Don't know if it was ever substantiated but he faded pretty quick after that.

Evidently they made a movie about his childhood with the kid from Home Improvement which is funny.

yMFxZsV.jpg

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
No Jack Hannah predates Steve Irwin. Steve is a cooler version but Jack was first.

Also living in Ohio he's pretty well thought of and that show was pretty popular here. But when I was a kid, 3 Stooges were on before cartoons.

And like Slayven I remember channels being off the air until 5am.

Ew yuck, Ohio, poor guy. He deserves better.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
when I was a kid Cartoon Network would switch to tcm movies at a certain time every day, I think 9pm and that would be signal that its bed time, sounds early in hindsight lol, it would stay tcm until like 5am so if you had a nightmare and woke up early all you had to watch was old ass black and white movies

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
On my side I remember waking up to early and ended up with cartoons for babies.
Why the hell did they think babies would wanna watch tv at 5 am?
Then it was stuffs for 5 yo at around 6 and then the real good stuff was 7...or the time I had to go to school because I lived rather far.
There was never any real point in watching tv during school days if you ask me.

Wednesday and Saturday were the real days!
starting 8 till 10h30 you had all the good stuff from DBZ to Sailor Moon with City Hunter in between.
Real quality stuff!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Sitting through Hey Dude to get to Solute Your Shorts or The Adventures of Pete & Pete..
Sitting through CatDog to get to Angry Beavers.
Sitting through Weinerville to get to Rocko or Hey Arnold.
Sitting through Bonkers to get to Gargoyles.
Sitting through My Brother And Me to get to Kenan & Kel or Nicktoons.
Sitting through the crappy Police Academy and Toxic Avengers cartoons to get to Ninja Turtles.
Sitting through Eek! the Cat to get to Tiny Toons or Batman: TAS.

There are so many.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
When you woke up too early, or slept too late, you ran into a potential Ron Popeil combo lol

When you knew "Crap I slept too late!" or "Crap I woke up about 2 hours too early!"