• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Really want to try GoT. Do we know of any Black Friday sales for it?

Also since there's a whole different SKU, does Spiderman Remastered count? Or will my PS4 disc version run at 60?
I know Bestbuy is doing a huge sale as usual. I was shocked when I picked up my PS5 and Ghost of Tsushima was still $60.

Still bought it though, and loving every minute of it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I assume TLoU2 will either get a patch or a full blown PS5 SKU when Factions comes out.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Couple of them PS4 games I missed the first time around that I'm gonna have to get back around to now at 60fps if I ever get a PS5.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Really surprised ND haven't updated TLOU2 and Uncharted (4/LL) to be 60fps on PS5. I thought for sure they would go above and beyond.

Maybe it's still coming and other projects delayed the patches at the moment. We'll see.
Maybe sign they could go for Spider-Man remastered approach. Paid remaster, but with more significant changes with better lighting and other improvement beyond just fps unlock

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Since getting my PS5 I've been testing out as many unlocked/patched titles I can and the amount of exclusives on the the list is actually pretty long:

Until Dawn
Knack
Knack 2
Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous
Infamous Last Light
God of War 2018
The Last Guardian (unpatched)
Medieval
Spiderman Remastered
Ghosts of Tsushima
Days Gone
Dreams

I might be missing some too, and that list doesn't include the stuff that was 60 already on PS4. The main omissions right now are Horizon, Uncharted, Ratchet and TLOU 2. Playing stuff with combat like Ghosts and God of War of locked 60fps is just a night and day difference in fluidity and controls. It's nice to finally play a bunch of these marquee Sony titles at proper 60fps, I hope we aren't forced to go back to 30 again once the real PS5 titles arrive but I'm holding my breath. Meanwhile I'll just keep salivating at the thought of TLOU 2's combat at 60fps whenever it arrives.
Spider-Man is a PS5 title that you can only buy and play on PS5 with Miles game. It's not a PS4 game. If OG Spider-Man could be played at 60 fps, then it could count.

Otherwise, yeah, GoW and Infamous (the ones I tried so far) feel really good. Got Killzone and Days Gone loaded already as well.

Edit: Will grab and play through GoT next after I buy it BF time. It's still at $40, but it is what it is.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see that Until Dawn runs so well on the PS5. The game was amazing and is one of my favorites of last generation but it ran super poorly for what it was doing. Gonna have to load that up soon.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
There must be a reason Sony haven't bothered, the games just too popular to not have done something. Makes me wonder if PlayStation are about to announce a proper (paid for) re-master of Bloodborne and that's why they've not bothered to give it a free 60fps patch, or maybe there's some issues with From Software patching it? I know this game was co-developed by Japan Studio but who knows how much knowledge they have of the game code to patch it easily, if the contract even allows Sony to by-pass From Software when it comes to releasing updates.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really good start. Shows that (1) PS5 HW and their implementation of BC is really good, and (2) how beneficial and important it is to future proof games with the ability to run at higher framerates (specifically the option to unlock framerate - or at least with a 60 fps cap - is so crucial).

But the silence from developers of games not boosted to 60 is really disappointing. Particularly God of War - clearly the engine has no problem running above 60 fps, so the ability to engage performance mode with a resolution above 1080p seems rather doable.

I mean it's sort of ridiculous to think that developers will drop whatever other projects they have to update games that came out years ago, with no promise update them for consoles that weren't even announced at the time.

Updates to games are icing on the cake but we shouldn't expect developers to be compelled to update their games.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please let me play UC4 at 4K 60FPS, would look good as any modern game

master15

Nov 28, 2017
So if I download Last Guardian from PS Plus Collection I assume it's patched version and I can't play at 60FPS? Do we know if they may patch the digital version?

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
When are y'all going to accept that even on PS6 big Bloodborne will still be at 30fps with bad frame pacing.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Man the GoT update makes me wish I had waited to beat the game. I still have ~5-10 hours of content left if I go for the platinum though.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Was going through some of my backlog and it looks like Nier Automata and Shenmue III are basically a locked 60 now. At least from the brief testing I did.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
This Bloodborne situation has gotten ridiculous
Indeed.

I'm still holding out hope for a patch, though. Maybe after DeS Bluepoint could do a "quick" remaster as an interim project? Not anything resembling a sophisticated remake, but simply boosting framerate to 60 with proper framepacing and boosting resolution.
I mean it's sort of ridiculous to think that developers will drop whatever other projects they have to update games that came out years ago, with no promise update them for consoles that weren't even announced at the time.

Updates to games are icing on the cake but we shouldn't expect developers to be compelled to update their games.
Who said anything about dropping development of ongoing projects? What I was getting at by noting the engine already supports 60 fps and 4KCB is that breaking the 1080p cap in performance mode should be a fairly straightforward job. And if that's the case, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a patch like that.

Now, I'm not a developer, so I don't know the reality of what this would take. If it really meant halting overall development of Ragnarok, then no, I'm not expecting that. But I don't think a performance-oriented patch as I'm describing would require that kind of effort.

I'm curious if you really think performance patches require this type of studio-wide development-altering manpower. Looking at all the other games that are getting patched on PS5 and X/S, the landscape doesn't really suggest this is what it takes.

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.

I'm still holding out hope for a patch, though. Maybe after DeS Bluepoint could do a "quick" remaster as an interim project? Not anything resembling a sophisticated remake, but simply boosting framerate to 60 with proper framepacing and boosting resolution.

Who said anything about dropping development of ongoing projects? What I was getting at by noting the engine already supports 60 fps and 4KCB is that breaking the 1080p cap in performance mode should be a fairly straightforward job. And if that's the case, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a patch like that.

Now, I'm not a developer, so I don't know the reality of what this would take. If it really meant halting overall development of Ragnarok, then no, I'm not expecting that. But I don't think a performance-oriented patch as I'm describing would require that kind of effort.

I'm curious if you really think performance patches require this type of studio-wide development-altering manpower. Looking at all the other games that are getting patched on PS5 and X/S, the landscape doesn't really suggest this is what it takes.

Neither of us are developers. I think the issue is that the game requires play testing if it's going to get patched, outside of whatever work needs to happen to the content itself. Given WFH constraints I imagine that's especially difficult right now.

I also think that it's presumptive of consumers to expect extra functionality enabled by the developers, years later. God of War shipped as an amazing product both technically and artistically - they spared no effort. They also respected consumers enough to avoid micro transactions and DLC. If you purchased the game, you got all of the content. With that in mind I think it's unfounded to expect developers to go back and revisit old games that were left in great shape and that run perfectly in backwards compatible mode.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Sorry I'm bad at this stuff. If I put the game in performance mode it doesn't default to 60 FPS on all games or developers have to release a patch to uncap it? I wanted to do my platinum run on TLoUP2 on performance mode but if there is still a 30 cap I'll just do it in Fidelity mode or wait?

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Aww dammit. For a second there my dumb 2AM brain was like INFAMOUS AT 60FPS SHIT YEAH! But then realised InFAMOUS was a PS3 game and this is Second Son. Oh well. :)

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Neither of us are developers. I think the issue is that the game requires play testing if it's going to get patched, outside of whatever work needs to happen to the content itself. Given WFH constraints I imagine that's especially difficult right now.

I also think that it's presumptive of consumers to expect extra functionality enabled by the developers, years later. God of War shipped as an amazing product both technically and artistically - they spared no effort. They also respected consumers enough to avoid micro transactions and DLC. If you purchased the game, you got all of the content. With that in mind I think it's unfounded to expect developers to go back and revisit old games that were left in great shape and that run perfectly in backwards compatible mode.
Presumption and expectation aside, you make a good point about testing. I agree that's going to be a necessary component and very likely to be non-trivial.

From a purely technical standpoint, it would be interesting to see the results of setting performance mode on PS5 to 4KCB without any further tweaking. I'd be really curious if performance would remain consistently near 60 fps and if any visual errors or other glitches would occur.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry I'm bad at this stuff. If I put the game in performance mode it doesn't default to 60 FPS on all games or developers have to release a patch to uncap it? I wanted to do my platinum run on TLoUP2 on performance mode but if there is still a 30 cap I'll just do it in Fidelity mode or wait?

There's 4 categories:

Games that run as is at an unlocked frame rate: Until Dawn, Dreams
Games that run at fixed frame rate but have an option to unlock it in the settings: Medieval, Infamous
Games that have a separate performance mode that runs at lower fidelity but unlocked frame rate: God of War
Games that got a specific PS5 upgrade patch to run at 60fps: Ghosts and Days Gone

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed that God of War's 60fps mode is limited to 1080p. I'm sure the PS5 can handle a higher resolution than that...

Isn't GOW just running in BC mode? They didn't do any work to it. The game auto goes to 60FPS on performance mode because it was uncapped and I think that's the reason it's only 1080p because that was the resolution for the performance mode IIRC.

Oct 28, 2017
Why not Bloodborne at this point? Is there something more going on, like maybe they're making a full next gen remaster? It's just so baffling and makes no sense.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
There's 4 categories:

Games that run as is at an unlocked frame rate: Until Dawn, Dreams
Games that run at fixed frame rate but have an option to unlock it in the settings: Medieval, Infamous
Games that have a separate performance mode that runs at lower fidelity but unlocked frame rate: God of War
Games that got a specific PS5 upgrade patch to run at 60fps: Ghosts and Days Gone

Oh, okay. Thank you

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry made a video on PS4 games running at 60 last week. BC on PS5 is great despite them not hyping it up or bringing much light to it.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Isn't GOW just running in BC mode? They didn't do any work to it. The game auto goes to 60FPS on performance mode because it was uncapped and I think that's the reason it's only 1080p because that was the resolution for the performance mode IIRC.

God of War hasn't been touched, it's just the 1080p performance running at locked 60fps now (it was 40-50 on Pro). Game still has good IQ in that mode, in fact for anyone that is still running a 1080p I'd just play it as is instead of holding out for an enhancement patch.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
God of War hasn't been touched, it's just the 1080p performance running at locked 60fps now (it was 40-50 on Pro). Game still has good IQ in that mode, in fact for anyone that is still running a 1080p I'd just play it as is instead of holding out for an enhancement patch.

Yeah, pretty much as I thought.

I think that needs to be emphasized to people saying it's disappointing etc. The game hasn't been touched for the PS5.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really looking forward to playing Killzone at 60fps. In fact the main reason I would like a PS5 this year is to play my PS4 games at higher frame rates. Demon Souls would just be a bonus.