• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Marvel Universe is in the thick of the Venom King in Black crossover, and that can mean only one thing: You get a symbiote! You get a symbiote! Everybody gets an evil-mind-controlled-by-a-space-god symbiote!

But there's one new symbiote on the block that's actually got a pretty cool editorial story behind it. Writer Seanan McGuire kicked off a run on Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider in 2018, just in time for the wider world to be introduced to the character in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. That run continued until earlier this year, when the series published its final issue. But McGuire is back, and her King in Black tie-in picks up just one of the plot threads she had to abandon.

The Mary Jane of Ghost-Spider's home universe is the newest version of Carnage.

According to a letter at the end of Gwenom vs. Carnage #1, MJ Carnage was one of the first ideas that McGuire pitched to Marvel editorial, and King in Black was an unmissable chance for the plot line to bear fruit.

RCO022_w_1610557387.jpg

www.polygon.com

Spider-Gwen just got her own Carnage, and it’s Mary Jane

It’s raining Ven(oms)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nope.....not feeling that at all
There was all this hope while reading those paragraphs and then Mary Jane Carnage. I sit there and think...hmm this might be cool...but that image says otherwise.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really living up to being called Red

At least she is doing something interesting

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Utter trash.
Can this event be done already.
King in Black has been a disappointing event from before it even started....once Knull was introduced I was like fuck.....and we are so far from a Universal reboot so we have to know this guy exists for likely another few years.

What the fuck is this shit.
RCO022_1610556005.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
King in Black has just felt like Marvel Zombies crossed with DC's Blackest Night but a lot lamer.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a Gwenom now? And here I thought Marvel would stop at Gwenpool.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Like the idea is sound but that design yeesh, and it is upsetting because spider gwen has had great designs

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I had hope for this event with the sentry thing knull did. Aaaand it was all shit...again.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been a fan of this event/initiative beyond some of the related side stuff like Silver Surfer Black, but I really do like that design. Looks awesome.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I've not been feeling King in Black at all. Only good thing about it so far is a pretty cool Namor comic and Doctor Doom and Iron Man teaming up to save Santa Claus.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Last Remains, I think you could make the argument that Gwen is a fucking awful superhero.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really dont know how comic fans do it. There's like 8 "King in black" spinoffs. Am I suppose to read em all, just the ones I want? Just.. christ. X.x

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this development honestly. Always wanted to see a Carnage Mary Jane for a very long time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What did she do wrong in Last Remains?

The other Spider-Heroes were completely useless in that story. Felt like Marvel Editorial insisted they needed to show up, so they just wasted page time.

(You know it's bad when the Green Goblin is more helpful to Spider-Man than the other Spider-Heroes.)

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually enjoying king in black so far, even if I'm only reading Venom and KiB.
Really liked seeing Thor vs Knull. Especially since it starts with Thor smashing of Knulls jaw.
Can't wait for Surfer to show up now as well

Maybe I should pick up Spider-gwen as well.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Another aces design for Gwen... hadn't seen Gwenom yet. That's especially dope...

But i haaaaaaaaaate Krull or whatever his name is.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comics are obsessed with making different versions of a character. Make something new.
*sees Knull*
Oh....

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cates and Stegman have done some good stuff and Marvel seems to reward with chances at events, I just wish they had picked anything other than Symbiote trash, especially after the equally uninspiring Carnage event.

I am three months behind due to MU, Empyre got it right by having tie ins be limited instead of part of the monthly lines so you could ignore if you wanted. Is this like that or is it going to interrupt all the storylines in the books I read when the app catches up? I think I just want to avoid this one entirely.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait is the King in Black event actually good? I thought people said it was bad.

If you've read an event storyline in the last decade or two you probably have a great idea of how it all plays out already. Just switch up the old threat with the latest flavor of the week threat and you're good to go.