• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I just saw a video of a sleeping homeless man get murdered by 8 police officers with fucking machine guns for sitting on a bench. Don't call the police, give her a warm meal, clothes and money and nicely ask her to not throw stuff in your area.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah no doubt. I'm a bit annoyed (and don't want to get rats in my place), but it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme. Guess that's why I was wondering if there was some gentle solution here.

I'd recommend calling a homeless shelter and asking for resources (food banks, where she can shower, temp shelters to sleep in, etc). I'd also ask if they know of any trained professionals that can come speak with her to help.

The key thing is not to instigate a negative relationship, as sometimes homeless people can suffer from mental illness or other cognitive impairments or conditions. Basically, you don't want to escalate to the point where you "need" to call the police.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ah. Well in LA, I specifically know from homeless people that I've spoken to that police take them out to the culver city mountains(the oil fields) and beat them/leave them there to die or find their way back. These guys were near Beverly hills. Said when they call the cops on them, they sometimes do that to them.

It doesn't sound like she is doing anything that comes near risking her life over? See if she needs any help, from a distance, and go from there? She seems like shes trying to get you to buy stuff from her.

Is she banging on your door throughout the day? Peeing on your doorstep?

If she once brought rats out (which means rats are in the area), it doesn't sound like its worth getting her beaten/killed over.
The most aggressive she gets is that she sometimes follows me from my car to the front gate of the building and asks for me to let her in/ asks which apt I live in, etc. I usually just say "I can't let you in, sorry." and quickly enter. It's a bit annoying/uncomfortable, but I never feel unsafe, so def not worth risking what the cops might do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
A group of homeless people live outside my friend's apartment. They just drink and crack jokes. My friend buys them food and chats to them sometimes. Be like my friend.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Be nice, but don't invite people into your home you don't know. Period.

There are outreach resources. people listed here. That's the best option.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you give her stuff, she'll likely stick around your area even more. I would definitely not invite a random stranger in my house for a shower. Also don't offer to touch her cardboard trash lmao

Call the cops or report it to your buildings' management. Those are pretty much your only options.

That would be the normal thing to do. No pun intended 🤭

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again because it feels like you keep glossing over this: you have rats already. They're in your neighborhood all over. Like seriously everywhere. LA is one of the most rat-infested cities in the nation. She did not bring them to you with homeless Gypsy magic
Sure, but it seems like whatever food was left outside definitely drew them in. There were a bunch of rats that seemed to have set up shop in our parking alcove due to whatever was in these boxes. I hadn't seen anything else like that since living there.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Ignore her as best you can.

Do not call the cops unless there is immediate physical danger.

Lot of folks ITT offering advice like give her a meal, offer your shower (!!!,) but the fact is most homeless people are suffering from serious mental illness. The fixes aren't quick, and unless you are ready to take on the significant responsibility of caring for troubled person, steer clear. You can give her money, but it will never be enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Do not invite into your home.

I would ignore this person and let the management know if she's being too disruptive.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus some bad advice in here.

I would not advise you invite a complete stranger into your home, no

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it seems like whatever food was left outside definitely drew them in. There were a bunch of rats that seemed to have set up shop in our parking alcove due to whatever was in these boxes. I hadn't seen anything else like that since living there.
You hadn't seen them because they hide. they are rats.

Do not invite into your home.

I would ignore this person and let the management know if she's being too disruptive.
Friendship is fuckin magic huh? Corny ass

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I just saw a video of a sleeping homeless man get murdered by 8 police officers with fucking machine guns for sitting on a bench. Don't call the police, give her a warm meal, clothes and money and nicely ask her to not throw stuff in your area.

If that video you're referring to is another thread on here i'm 99% certain the guy was waving around a gun at the officers and cars passing by prior to getting shot.

Anyways, i'd either call management to handle or some form of social services if they're for sure staying around the area. Could talk to them yourself if you're feeling up to it but I'd probably leave them be unless they were causing problems.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Jesus some bad advice in here.

I would not advise you invite a complete stranger into your home, no

Yeah I don't know if it's some kind of guilt complex or just online posturing, but don't invite people you don't know in. Be nice and find resources for them if you think there is a real problem.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Best bet is to call a homeless shelter, let them know about her situation, and ultimately involve yourself as little as possible.

As noted do not call the cops or management (since management will just call the cops). It sucks because that's one of the myriad responsibilities that the police should be trusted with but we know what's going to happen if they get involved.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
To be honest, I was fine with it until the rat thing. I live in a city, so there were 5-6 (that I could see) big rats around. I guess I can wait to see if there's a repeat of that incident, and just let it go until then.

Please don't call the cops. I understand this may seem counter-productive, but there are enough stories of this very sort of thing going horribly wrong without you inadvertently adding to the tally, and I'm sure you don't need reminding that the current climate doesn't exactly bode well for anybody involved in "low-priority" cases like this.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't invite a homeless stranger that might be suffering from mental illnesses to your home for food and a nice bath?
Wowow 🤔

😂

Mocking someone for one bad piece of advice while suggesting another (calling the police) is interesting.

The real answer continues to be to call an actual outreach team if they need help.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah I don't know if it's some kind of guilt complex or just online posturing, but don't invite people you don't know in. Be nice and find resources for them if you think there is a real problem.

100% feel good posturing. We have it plastered all over entryways in my area that if you let someone you don't know in the building you'll be evicted. I sure as hell won't let someone I just met up in my pad, and letting them wander around the building would get me booted.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Jesus.

Just either give some food and or water or leave her alone

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Find decent hearted people in your complex and see if yall can put your heads(and maybd a little disposable income) together to find a way to lend her a hand if possible.

Please don't call the cops right off the bat. If worst comes to worst call the super I guess.

Oct 27, 2017

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
And for God's sake don't let her in your home. Would you let any random stranger in your home? If not, then you shouldn't let her in your home. You don't have to invite yourself into a potentially-unsafe situation just to be empathetic to someone else.

Call a homeless shelter/outreach program. They're the closest thing to professionals here, they'll be able to handle this better than you can.

Oct 26, 2017
As others have mentioned look into outreach programs. When I searched for one in LA I got this:

Request

not sure if they would help or offer the proper help but may be worth looking into. Perhaps someone from the area knows of a better program.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Whatever you choose just please, please, please do not listen to advice such as "invite into your home". You never just invite random strangers into your home like that, especially when a good portion of the homeless population have mental issues. You don't know who exactly it is you're bringing inside. If you have children then that decision is even more wreck less.

Honestly I don't know if I would offer money or food either unless it could be done in a way where they wouldn't know where your home is because it could lead to them just spending time outside your home waiting for more.

I agree with those saying to look into outreach programs. They can help her much more than you can. They can not just give her food but also shelter.

Feb 1, 2018
Ignore the peanut gallery in here telling you to let her in your house, that's a recipe for disaster. She'll either trash the place, lock herself in the bathroom, steal your things, refuse to leave, or will try to enter again later with her friends when you're not there and then tell the cops "he let me in last time!"

Don't give her anything either, because then she'll never leave your complex and will seek you out daily and harass you if you got nothing for her that day. Also, don't call the cops because she'll probably get tazed or murdered.

Inform your building management, and try your best to ignore her. Eventually she'll be relocated or sheltered.

Oct 29, 2017
Lol all the " I wouldn't invite a stranger into my home " ppl must have never did online dating. Op has communicated with the homeless lady quite a few times. I think that's comparable to a tinder convo lol. Millions n millions of ppl meet up at strangers houses n vice versa every night. Especially in fuckin LA where op lives lol.

"That's not fair. She might have a mental illness!!"
Yes so might every single person on tinder but if they are Sexy enough ppl risk it. Wonder what's different here 🤔.

just say " I wouldn't invite a homeless person inside" n cut the bullshit 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Just continue living ya life op. It's just rats which LA has a fucking lot of. They are always there. You just don't see them.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lol all the " I wouldn't invite a stranger into my home " ppl must have never did online dating. Op has communicated with the homeless lady quite a few times. I think that's comparable to a tinder convo lol. Millions n millions of ppl meet up at strangers houses n vice versa every night. Especially in fuckin LA where op lives lol.

Yes so might every single person on tinder but if they are Sexy enough ppl risk it. Wonder what's different here 🤔.

Just continue living ya life op. It's just rats which LA has a fucking lot of. They are always there. You just don't see them.

Don't let this poster into your house.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Or maybe not everyone is viewing this with the same lens as you and don't consider Tinder dating and invited homeless people into your home as the same exact scenario.

Or some of us speak as parents. I know for sure I don't invite random strangers into my home with my family here. Why would I do something like that?

I don't know you. I wouldn't just invite you in my home either.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Do not invite random people into your building, that's nuts and how people wind up dead.

Call some shelters to see if they do outreach. It's probably the safest thing for her and for yourself. I wouldn't engage with her either if she's made you uncomfortable before asking where you live and whatnot.

Feb 1, 2018

Equating people on tinder with homeless people on the street

Galaxy Brain.jpeg

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
If you give her stuff, she'll likely stick around your area even more. I would definitely not invite a random stranger in my house for a shower. Also don't offer to touch her cardboard trash lmao

Call the cops or report it to your buildings' management. Those are pretty much your only options.

Clearly haven't read other responses in this thread. Plenty of other options to get her help other than cops/building management who will most likely call the cops. I think it's pretty obviously cops should be the last resort to solve anything that isn't violent in nature.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Do not invite random people into your building, that's nuts and how people wind up dead.

Call some shelters to see if they do outreach. It's probably the safest thing for her and for yourself. I wouldn't engage with her either if she's made you uncomfortable before asking where you live and whatnot.

This is probably the most sound advice in the thread. But please do not call the cops or your property management company

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is the kind of situation where you find out what kind of person you are.

Good luck.

Okay I will be more practically helpful...

It doesn't take much. It's scary at first. People are just people. You are just trying to help. Respect the person's boundaries. Just do a little.

You can drop off food & water when they are sleeping, anonymously, to begin.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Or maybe not everyone is viewing this with the same lens as you and don't consider Tinder dating and invited homeless people into your home as the same exact scenario.
Equating people on tinder with homeless people on the street

Galaxy Brain.jpeg
What difference is there that makes it any safer for someone to invite strangers from tinder into their home than inviting a homeless person?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore the peanut gallery in here telling you to let her in your house, that's a recipe for disaster. She'll either trash the place, lock herself in the bathroom, steal your things, refuse to leave, or will try to enter again later with her friends when you're not there and then tell the cops "he let me in last time!"

Don't give her anything either, because then she'll never leave your complex and will seek you out daily and harass you if you got nothing for her that day. Also, don't call the cops because she'll probably get tazed or murdered.

Inform your building management, and try your best to ignore her. Eventually she'll be relocated or sheltered.
"Relocated" what a nice word for being forcibly detained and dropped off in the hills somewhere, not getting roughed around if you're lucky. I'm sure grateful that I can't be picked up and dropped off somewhere totally random purely on the basis that I have enough money to reside somewhere. Must suck!

don't call management. Seriously how are some of you still this addicted to the taste of boot. Call one of the dozen support groups linked in the thread

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

I wouldn't invite anyone into the house right now. We're in the middle of a full blown pandemic.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Don't talk to her

Don't give her money, food, water, etc

Don't invite her in

Don't call the cops unless she actively threatens violence against you or someone else in your apartment area

As others have said, contact an outreach shelter and let them handle it