• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed in their earnings call today, the rumors were true

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They obviously needed more time after Yuke's left, which was evident with the disaster that was 2K20.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Thats a big oof for WWE,

Isn't that like a big part of their profits?

Needed though. Christ the modern games are so boring and glitchy. Why would you make it a sport sim when its barely 'real' in the first place?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just download a No Mercy roster hack, slap it and an N64 emulator onto a blu-ray disc and call it a day. It'd be a major improvement in both gameplay and graphics over the last 5 years or so of WWE games.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
just to note this was the WWE earnings call, not the Take Two earnings call (which is usually early May)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
omg omg omg this would be one helluva year for AEW to strike with its all-but-announced video game (and possible throwback to an Aki-style N64 engine)

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
no annual wwe game for the first time since 1998.

161927-wwf-war-zone-playstation-front-cover.png

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted them to do more interesting things with the WWE personalities and characters than just a straight up wrestling sim like game. There were rumors around 2012 of a side scrolling beat-em up type game that was apparently at least pitched at some point.

I'd love to see the characters of the WWE embellished and taken in crazy directions that aren't just the same old boring simulator game.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
It's really simple. You take these games and add definition/online play.
WCWnWoRevengebox.jpg
NoMercyGameBox.jpg

I've always wanted them to do more interesting things with the WWE personalities and characters than just a straight up wrestling sim like game. There were rumors around 2012 of a side scrolling beat-em up type game that was apparently at least pitched at some point.

I'd love to see the characters of the WWE embellished and taken in crazy directions that aren't just the same old boring simulator game.

They tried this and it was pretty fun!
WWEAllStarsCoverArt.png

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think 2K and WWE deal is officially over.
We heard rumors that 2K wanted to drop the WWE license. (Insert 2K20 Drama here)

If WWE games come back, it won't be 2K. Enter EA?

CKT

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Why those two when Virtual Pro Wrestlnig 2 exists?

Virtualprowrestling2.jpg

Some of the mechanics were actually stripped when they converted to No Mercy; No Mercy just has more match types, I think.
never played this, is that Vader? What other western known wrestlers made it to the game?

Monprr

Nov 28, 2017
Mix it with WrestleMania XIX style matches too like throwing people off ledges to their death or throwing them in front of a moving car to kill them.

The Day Of Reckoning games were pretty good too. What they lacked in matches was made up for in gameplay IMO. Preferred them to the smackdown games, even if they weren't up there with No Mercy.

Def Jam Vendetta really showed what an AKI WWF game could have been like in 2003.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hopefully they go with a new engine or at the very least, a massively upgraded engine for next gen. It's needed it for a long time now.

Just hope they don't strip out a lot of features like they did the last few times we switched to next gen hardware.

Having new improved graphics is great but it's sucks when they take out match types that were in the older games and then slowly add them back in over the years.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Is it too much to ask for a compilation with online enabled, pixel-perfect ports of the Technos WWF games, Royal Rumble Arcade, Wrestlemania Arcade and simulations of the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania arcade games?

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Played 2k17 after taking a break of 5-6 years from these games and holly shit, whoever though that a game based on constant reversals is fun? Each match was a nightmare.
These games should have arcade oriented gameplay and fast matches not be simulation based.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
Just hire Syn Sophia (formerly AKI) and make WWE NO MERCY 2021.

There are rumors they're making an AEW game though...

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
never played this, is that Vader? What other western known wrestlers made it to the game?
The definition of "Western known" can vary, but off the top of my head the following have wrestled for WWE/WCW/ECW:

Officially licensed
  • Vader
  • Stan Hansen
  • Johnny Ace
  • Bart Gunn
Unlicensed (you have to edit their names and appearances)
  • Masahiro Chono
  • Scott Norton
  • Jushin Thunder Liger
  • Hayabusa
  • Mike Awesome
  • Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki
  • Mil Mascaras
  • Terry Funk
  • Dory Funk Jr.
  • Terry Gordy
  • "Dr. Death" Steve Williams
  • Bruiser Brody
  • Abdullah the Butcher
  • Andre the Giant
  • Great Muta
  • Ultimo Dragon
  • Antonio Inoki
  • Tiger Mask

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
AEW needs to strike now

WWE takes a year off AND they can get the jump on the next generation

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The definition of "Western known" can vary, but off the top of my head the following have wrestled for WWE/WCW/ECW:

Officially licensed
  • Vader
  • Stan Hansen
  • Johnny Ace
  • Bart Gunn
  • Masahiro Chono
  • Scott Norton
  • Jushin Thunder Liger
  • Hayabusa
  • Mike Awesome
  • Mil Mascaras
  • Terry Funk
  • Dory Funk Jr.
  • Terry Gordy
  • Bruiser Brody
  • Abdullah the Butcher
  • Andre the Giant
  • Great Muta
  • Ultimo Dragon
  • Antonio Inoki
It was officially licensed by AJPW so I guess it was whoever was with them at the time. Wrestle Kingdom II was awesome though because it had the NJPW, AJPW AND NOAH licenses.

CKT

Banned
Feb 1, 2020

Officially licensed
  • Vader
  • Stan Hansen
  • Johnny Ace
  • Bart Gunn
  • Masahiro Chono
  • Scott Norton
  • Jushin Thunder Liger
  • Hayabusa
  • Mike Awesome
  • Mil Mascaras
  • Terry Funk
  • Dory Funk Jr.
  • Terry Gordy
  • Bruiser Brody
  • Abdullah the Butcher
  • Andre the Giant
  • Great Muta
  • Ultimo Dragon
  • Antonio Inoki
  • Tiger Mask
nice! yeah if this was the better game bring it over, add characters and it would sell to the fans guaranteed.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
If you're even the slightest fan of Japanese wrestling and haven't played King of Colosseum 2, do yourself a favor and find a way. To me, it tops No Mercy, VPW2, HCTP, Fire Pro, and any others.

Regarding 2K21, that really sucks. Hope it's not the end of the series.