• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Night Dive does release most of its remasters on console, but it still mostly focuses on PC classics, particularly first person games. Hamster on the other hand has been making essentially "archival" versions of tons of arcade games. I feel like we don't really have a company devoted to doing the same thing for specifically for console classics. Not full-on remakes, but just getting the original version of a game to look and run as cleanly as possible on modern platforms with some QOL improvements. It's the closest thing video games have to Criterion releases of movies or something.

Bluepoint started out doing this with remasters like Metal Gear, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. But they eventually moved onto full remakes, and Sony bought them right? Some publishers are doing something like this with their own games, but the treatment and execution is sort of scattershot. I just think it'd be nice if there was another company that could do the same thing for somewhat obscure but beloved PlayStation or Xbox or N64 games.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Night Dive does release most of its remasters on console, but it still mostly focuses on PC classics
It's not so much that's what we focus on, more that's the majority of what we can get. Though it depends on how you look at it too. Is shadow man a PC title or console (especially as the source code we got was of the PS1 version)? We also just did the Saturn/PS1 version of powerslave.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I could get on board with that, Nightdive, Hamster and Bluepoint (back before they were doing remakes - rather just doing really, really good ports/remasters of previous games like MGS) do amazing work. I'm personally of the opinion that I'd rather have really good ports which keep the games as close to the originals as possible, but fix stuff like performance, controls, saving etc. I know people love remakes and all that, but I always feel like those are a coin flip... Im so often not happy when cuts start occurring in remakes compared to the originals, how the tone/look/feel of the original can be changed due to an artstyle/graphical shift, or just how certain studios decide the way to make a game is shoving Majima in it 50 fucking thousand times to make it vastly worse than a Japan only remaster...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Random, but is there a studio known for doing amazing 32-bit ports (aside from the great work we've seen from Nightdive)? The examples in this thread from my recollection seem to typically stick with 8 or 16 bit titles.

I'm going to guess kinda not really since we don't see that many to begin with.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like at least M2 fits this. And Maybe Digital Eclipse, though I know a bit less about them.

But I also don't know if it's fair to call Nightdive PC focused. A lot of what they've put out were console games.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Night Dive, Era. I have purchased Night Dive releases sight unseen, just because they did it. Like Forsaken! I knew nothing about that one aside from the weird boxart. But hey, it's a pretty neat Descent clone with a great port.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
I like the stuff Night Dive does. Just wish they could hurry up and get System Shock released.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Random, but is there a studio known for doing amazing 32-bit ports (aside from the great work we've seen from Nightdive)? The examples in this thread from my recollection seem to typically stick with 8 or 16 bit titles.

I'm going to guess kinda not really since we don't see that many to begin with.
What M2 and Digital Eclipse are doing with the 8 and 16-bit games is understandably easier. Still, it'd be nice to see someone return to what Bluepoint was doing with PS2 games.

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
Snatcher and Policenauts should be available on current consoles.
Also, I'd personally welcome a Magnavox Odyssey 2 (Philips Videopac in Europe) compilation with Showdown in 2100 AD.