• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 3, 2019
There-is-No-Game-Main-Menu.jpg

Having now just finished it, I can't recommend this enough for lovers of not-videogames. It's hard to make a case for it since the least spoiled the better,

It's also hard to make a case for it because it's not a videogame.

If you like games like Pony Island, Stanley's Parable and point and clink adventure games you'll probably enjoy this. Or maybe not, because it's not a videogame.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed this quite a bit! Its reception has been weird tho. From Steam reviews it's sold quite well but I've posted about it here before and no ones even heard of it. Very under the radar even on a niche community like this place.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this thread but just bought this on my phone and finished it and boy is it great! A fun story and only for $5? I'd fully recommend it to anyone looking for a fun puzzle point and click game!

Shocked this thread doesn't have much love.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Should this topic be moved to off topic if it's a utility program, not a game? Or am I missing something.

Should this topic be moved to off topic if it's a utility program, not a game? Or am I missing something.
That's the joke. Given the name: There is no Game.
It is all about a program chasing you, the player, away. Telling you there is no game and trying to stop you from playing it with tons of forth wall jokes in the process.

And I hope, I just didn't get myself perfectly played right now. :>

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had a solid 8/10 time with this definitely-not-a-game.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would agree, it's fun. I found the Sherlock Homes episode to be the strongest. That was a great spin on the p&c adventure genre.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like games that challenge the medium and asks questions of it, but I thought The Stanley Parable was shallow and too full off itself. I liked The Beginners Guide though. Would this be up my alley?

This doesn't really have the aspirations of either and is more traditionally gamey.

I would liken it more to things like Pony Island and The Hex.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
After hearing so much about this game, i decided to give it a try but... It's a bit too on the nose for now, not really funny...

I can tell there's a lot of effort put in the game, is really pretty and there's lots of details from old games, like chapter 02, but the writing is meh...

In the same style i found that stanley parable was more fun!

I stopped at chapter 3, will continue in a bit but i don't except much

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this topic, I tried it for myself and quite enjoyed it.
Hard to talk more about without spoiling, but the journey was worth it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I thought it was fine but not amazing. In terms of pure comedy I think Lair of the Clockwork God was unbeaten in 2020. I guess making fun of the trends in indie games just resonates more with me.
TING reminded me a lot of The Hex although that one wasn't playing it for laughs.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It was a great surprise for me, I didn't had that much fun with a game like this in a while.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Quick note that it's also on iOS (where I played it) for a fiver which is a bargain for this absolute gem!

does it play well on ios? Tossing up between this on ipad which would be on my sofa in the living room, or PC which means sitting at my PC in the spare room. Also PC is twice as expensive but thats not so important

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Very original and surprising game and quite lengthy at that. I recommend it. Still got the point and click games problem of not knowing what is interactive or not so you end up clicking everywhere sometimes.

Last edited: