• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on NieR halfway through the 2nd playthrough. I realized there are like 5 endings and I couldn't bother doing the same crap again and again. Probably the most overrated game on Era

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DQ11 it seems.

I'm halfway through Act 2 and it's SO FUCKING LONG that I'll be PASSING ACT 3

-_-

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat Untitled Goose Game yesterday. There's a lot of post-game content I could do, but yeah, I kind of got my fill.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Outer Wilds is one of those games where progression is limited by your knowledge; there's always a trick to going somewhere or doing something, so at times like that, it's sometimes just best to go somewhere else. (Even when I knew the "trick", though, I left Dark Bramble until the very end.)

I did pretty much everything else though, it was was on my route to the end so I got most of the story and liked what I've played up to that point, I looked up the last part on YouTube.

Oct 27, 2017
Recently had this with Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Great game but the campaign mostly consists of random skirmishes while you conquer an overworld map with an occassional scripted mission inbetween which also only deviate slightly from the standard battles.

After 40 hours I can't be bothered to do the same grind with the other 3 campaigns again.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Well, let's face it, many developers still live in some fantasy world in where their audience demands for long games when in reality attention spans have shrunken drastically and media of all kinds is not only competing with games, folks usually want to experience as much stuff as possible, so they rush through their games, skip slow scenes in their movies and series and are listening to podcasts at higher speeds. Hell, more often than not, people even play a game while watching something else on another screen. Especially true on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, let's face it, many developers still live in some fantasy world in where their audience demands for long games when in reality attention spans have shrunken drastically and media of all kinds is not only competing with games, folks usually want to experience as much stuff as possible, so they rush through their games, skip slow scenes in their movies and series and are listening to podcasts at higher speeds. Hell, more often than not, people even play a game while watching something else on another screen. Especially true on PC.

True but there are also plenty of special games that are pretty long where people regulary dedicate huge amounts of time to it, like RDR2.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
True but there are also plenty of special games that are pretty long where people regulary dedicate huge amounts of time to it, like RDR2.

Oh, I agree. I love RDR2 and took my sweet time with it, same with AC Odyssey. But I also missed out on other interesting titles during that time. I mean, I'm gaming for about 30 years now and old fart gamers like me remember the time when there weren't enough interesting games for you to play, so you were more likely to commit to the games you already owned.
Coming from that background, the hardest thing for me was to accept that I can't play them all. The time it would take to play everything I'd like to play properly simply surpasses my life expectancy. It's hard, it really is. Watching a beloved dev to put out a new title and not buying it felt wrong to me. After all, I need to support these devs, or don't I? What about the indie devs? Some output in this sector is stellar and I wish the devs all the success, but at some point I had to stop buying games just to support them.
I used to work in the gaming industry and a lot of my former colleagues started to get into board gaming with almost every designer putting his own game on Kickstarter. Do I have to support them too? I really like board games and tabletops so maybe I really should pledge some....no! I had to stop this as well. The only crowdfunding projects I support now are those by my closest friends.

I believe that the issue in this thread is closely related to another huge issue: Backlogs and how to tackle them. It's even worse for trophy/achievement hunters. Jumping from this train was even harder than stopping my backlog from growing. Sometimes I finish a game and see that I'm only a few trophies away from the platinum. No! Stop! I won't grind 1000 more kills just for another trophy on my PSN profile.
When I switched from Xbox 360 to the PS4, I left behind an account with a gamer score of over 100k. Back then, this was a lot. On the other hand, my PSN account had just a few trophies on it and certainly no platinum. I felt like a noob, unable to represent my gaming past appropriately. Yeah, it's silly, but apart from the most casual gamers, this is just another ingredient in this addictive cocktail we call gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I agree. I love RDR2 and took my sweet time with it, same with AC Odyssey. But I also missed out on other interesting titles during that time. I mean, I'm gaming for about 30 years now and old fart gamers like me remember the time when there weren't enough interesting games for you to play, so you were more likely to commit to the games you already owned.
Coming from that background, the hardest thing for me was to accept that I can't play them all. The time it would take to play everything I'd like to play properly simply surpasses my life expectancy. It's hard, it really is. Watching a beloved dev to put out a new title and not buying it felt wrong to me. After all, I need to support these devs, or don't I? What about the indie devs? Some output in this sector is stellar and I wish the devs all the success, but at some point I had to stop buying games just to support them.
I used to work in the gaming industry and a lot of my former colleagues started to get into board gaming with almost every designer putting his own game on Kickstarter. Do I have to support them too? I really like board games and tabletops so maybe I really should pledge some....no! I had to stop this as well. The only crowdfunding projects I support now are those by my closest friends.

I believe that the issue in this thread is closely related to another huge issue: Backlogs and how to tackle them. It's even worse for trophy/achievement hunters. Jumping from this train was even harder than stopping my backlog from growing. Sometimes I finish a game and see that I'm only a few trophies away from the platinum. No! Stop! I won't grind 1000 more kills just for another trophy on my PSN profile.
When I switched from Xbox 360 to the PS4, I left behind an account with a gamer score of over 100k. Back then, this was a lot. On the other hand, my PSN account had just a few trophies on it and certainly no platinum. I felt like a noob, unable to represent my gaming past appropriately. Yeah, it's silly, but apart from the most casual gamers, this is just another ingredient in this addictive cocktail we call gaming.

I feel you. The inability or inaccessibility to buy new games as a teenager certainly played a part in why I played games more thoroughly in the past. Nowadays I just think "Why bother with this for another 10 hours when I already seen everything the game has to offer and I have like 200 other games left I could play instead?". But to be fair games feel way more repetitive now than in the past, probably because devs feel obligated to hit a certain number of hours for their games. Seeing it like that kinda defeats the purpose of all the padding if I think about it.

I also never understood the appeal with the achievements so I was spared that obsession at least.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I realized recently that I don't play most dlc for games that come out. I've usually had my fill by the time I get to the ending. I usually just buy game of the year editions so I always end up with dlc anyway but yeah, never get around to it. This happened like 6 months ago with AC: Origins. By the time I finished the main game I had NO interest in doing ANY dlc. And I don't think I'll go back.

Last edited:

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
There is a specific point in Tales of Vesperia where I stopped playing twice:

When you save Estelle from Alexei

For me this is where the game is done. I have no idea what happens after this and I don't care.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
I feel you. The inability or inaccessibility to buy new games as a teenager certainly played a part in why I played games more thoroughly in the past. Nowadays I just think "Why bother with this for another 10 hours when I already seen everything the game has to offer and I have like 200 other games left I could play instead?". But to be fair games feel way more repetitive now than in the past, probably because devs feel obligated to hit a certain number of hours for their games. Seeing it like that kinda defeats the purpose of all the padding if I think about it.

I also never understood the appeal with the achievements so I was spared that obsession at least.

Lucky you, for not swallowing the achievements bait! :)
As for repetition in games, I agree and this even happens across multiple games. Whenever I play a game and think it's kinda generic, I remember that for someone out there this is his first entry in this genre and trying to see it from such a point of view helps me to enjoy games quite a bit more. That's why I usually don't care for reviews by a single person. JRPG are especially victim to such a treatment: More often than not, these games are reviewed by someone who played a lot of these games and, quite logically, sees through the patterns they work with until they become tired tropes for the reviewer. In cases like this I really enjoy the input of someone who barely or never plays this stuff. We need more guest reviewers! :D

Ugh, sorry for going off-topic again. My mind is not easily contained by a single topic. I'm not a forum person. :D

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every game is like this for me.

For some reason when I complete the story I'm mentally checked out from the game. Can't bring myself to care about the game anymore.

Never played and probably never will play New game+ on any game.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Not buying Persona 5 Royal because of this, mainly. I certainly don't need more of that game despite loving it, and the parts they've added story wise sound like a real detriment to the narrative.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It seems to be better than i thought, but still, not enough for me to push through it if B is just a slight variation of A (which i already played 19h).

(I actually played a little of B, but the repetition killed the game for me at that point)

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

I'm the same as you. Stopped about half way through B. I just don't have time to waste like this unfortunately.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh.

After finally completing the game (which took months) I realized that I had the DLCs as well and I was like "Nah, I'm good."

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
As I get older, the more I don't finish games unless they really grabbed me. I just don't have the time anymore with work, social stuff and other bits and bobs.

Sekiro I want to go back to some secret bosses because I enjoyed it so much.

Hollow Knight I finished the base campaign and some other bits but didn't to the Path of Pain for example.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did 40 sidequests in Yakuza 0 and went "I'm good" and proceeded to finish up the main campaign.

(This is why I don't tend to play a lot of "open-world" type games. I usually don't venture too much off the main path.)

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda BotW

I was supposed to be lost and was. But surprisingly had my fill way earlier than compared to other hames.I came to know I didn't even scratched the surface.
Same here, I never even did any of the big beast dungeons. I just stopped. I felt like I explored most of it and I enjoyed the hell out of the experience, but it was enough for me.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on NieR halfway through the 2nd playthrough. I realized there are like 5 endings and I couldn't bother doing the same crap again and again. Probably the most overrated game on Era

How you gonna say the game is overrated when you didn't even reach what most people consider its best part? By the way the second playthrough is much shorter than the first, and the next three endings are completely different paths. You're not gonna be repeating the same stuff five times

Persona 5 should have ended with the cruise ship dungeon.

Agreed. Everything after felt so forced and unnatural

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI for me too, for the same reasons. Honestly though, I was enough into the game that had it not been for the difficulty spike in Act 3 that was going to necessitate grinding for gear, I probably would have kept playing it.

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, you might have gotten a little support if you had left out that last sentence. But that part just makes it clear that you don't like the game to begin with, so I doubt anyone really cares.
Persona 5 should have ended with the cruise ship dungeon.
I don't think I've ever seen a game jump the shark as quickly and thoroughly as P5 did after the second to last dungeon. That wouldn't have just been a serviceable ending point, but a great and natural one. Instead you're treated to a bunch of incoherent nonsense for the rest of the game. Yeesh.

As for my personal answer, I peaced the fuck out of the RDR2 epilogue after a few hours. I don't need to see like every single event that happened between then and the beginning of the first game. Feels like they were trying way too hard to connect the two.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
very sorry, but if devs decide to include the secret/good/better ending in a DLC, the dev can go fuck him/themselves.

in the case of sekiro, if you feel good, i think it is good.

i dont like the approach of "you need a guide to get to this point in the game", it should be concisive.
if it is a very cryptic game and there is no in-game-info about the shit i want to achieve, i straight up give up. i never liked the souls-games because of that. i like good games, i like difficult games, but the lack of a proper map and "what to do next or am i right here"-approach is not my cup of tea. sekiro is something cool on one hand, because it finally clicked for me, but i was very disgusted at the beginning because it took me almost 10h "to get in".

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
God of war has a whole hub world worth exploring. I spent, maybe, 2 hours exploring the extra, optional content outside of the main quest. Then put away the game after I beat it. Fun game though.

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me when I was playing Spiderman. I got to a big world changing part and all the stuff on the map basically reset and I decided I was done.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I did 40 sidequests in Yakuza 0 and went "I'm good" and proceeded to finish up the main campaign.

(This is why I don't tend to play a lot of "open-world" type games. I usually don't venture too much off the main path.)
The Yakuza Games i feel are great to keep those on the back burner when you have nothing to play pop in and do the sub stories and their activies until you do as the sub stories are often self contained so its great to keep them for later.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
DQXI for me too, for the same reasons. Honestly though, I was enough into the game that had it not been for the difficulty spike in Act 3 that was going to necessitate grinding for gear, I probably would have kept playing it.

Yes, the whole "Beat Boss in X turns or you fail" is really shitty design. Totally took me out of the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Yakuza Games i feel are great to keep those on the back burner when you have nothing to play pop in and do the sub stories and their activies until you do as the sub stories are often self contained so its great to keep them for later.
For sure. Its the reason it takes me so long to finish the games, as I decide to take a break from the main stuff and hit up the arcade, or side stories, or Mahjong, or some sort of racing, or the arena, or...

Definitely a series you can keep picking away at for months on end a bit at a time.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
For sure. Its the reason it takes me so long to finish the games, as I decide to take a break from the main stuff and hit up the arcade, or side stories, or Mahjong, or some sort of racing, or the arena, or...

Definitely a series you can keep picking away at for months on end a bit at a time.
They really do pack them full considering as i have played 0 through 3 and they are usually 12-15 hours for just the story but side stories and mini games are so chock full of content i am surprised they make them as often as they do.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Kingdom Hearts 1. Beat the last guy, poked around at the post-game content, got my butt thrashed by Sephiroth and I decided I had places to be. Namely Kingdom Hearts 2, where I actually did all of the post-game stuff.

Also when Nioh--a long game as-is--offered for me to repeat it against higher level enemies and with even more mechanics on it's dense gear forging system, I was like, I love you, but once was enough.

I've also yet to finish the epilogue of Red Dead 2, though I do play online occasionally. I dunno, I liked where it ended and I wanted for it to sit for a while. I'll finish eventually though. Maybe on PS5.

Assassin's Creed II and Black Flag. Only made it about half way through both before moving on.

Sounds like you just dropped them. This thread is more about not engaging with the post-main-game content like harder secret endings and what have you.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Gamepass has reduced that threshold significantly for me. I'll play way more, but most for less than an hour.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
It's okay to be satisfied with a game and stop playing it. A lot of people (me included sometimes) feel like you *have* to finish a game.

Or what? It doesn't count? When you learn to let that feeling go, you're then able to stop and go, "I had a good time with that game, but I'm moving on."

It's liberating

If only people would learn to do this in relationships 😌

Personally, I'm not the platinum trophy type, but unless I don't enjoy a game, I'll at least finish the story usually.

The exceptions being ones that I love that don't make post-game content or 100 percenting a chore.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Skipped Dark Souls 3 DLC, and only beat Sekiro once.

I will buy whatever From Soft puts out but just kinda tired of their style until they do something drastically different, which I hope Elden Ring will be.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
To be fair, that's always a gamble that we are taking willingly; nobody forces us to do this, and we know some people will just stop there.

I'm making a roguelite, which is obviously meant to be played through multiple times; the way I try to hook the player into doing so with different characters is, I put artwork of the characters you've finished it with on the Main Menu screen; once you have finished the game with all of them, it will look a bit like the cover artwork. Finishing it with just one character intentionally gives it an "incomplete" feel, hopefully OCDing them into doing so with the others. >:)

That's a pretty good idea! Mad props

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally have those sort of feelings because I like to get my money's wroth out of games, but I guess I had that with Mario Odessesy. The main bulk of the game was good of course but I have zero incentive to collect all the moons and do that moon post-game level.

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
Dragon Quest XI's "Post-Game" (or Act 3)
I'm not invested in the franchise so I didn't care for how it apparently would tie back into previous entries and the characters I was with basically weren't the characters I had grown to love because time travel and the quest wasn't the one I had come to care for so after seeing the difficulty spike, I just decided to stop and keep my basic, regular ass ending instead of going for the true ending. Not out of spite for the game, I love what I played through and it was one of my favorites of that year, but it really was just "I respect where you're going but nah I'm good".

Yeeep, same thing here. I liked Act 2 and how it ended... but Act 3 was mostly recycling places and seeings things we'd already seen. I didn't care much for that. I played a bit and said "ok that's enough". I really liked the game but that just felt like overkill. I wanted to move on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guess my game! :D

act 2 ended pretty conclusively. Act 3 is...a slog. I know people said the level you beat Act 2 at is the right level for Act 3, but nah. Phoon Noom boss is nothing but a war of attrition. the one thing that would make this act better is if you could grind levels really quickly, but you can't. if I could just speed through these bosses, I'd be more than happy to finish the game. but nah, I'm good

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Echoing Dragon Quest XI. I finished it for the plat, but man it was a slog to get through.

Also I'm not sure if BotW applies here? The game tells you right at the beginning that Ganon is the end, and when he dies the game is over. It doesn't "continue" after he's dead, the game just loads you to the moment before you fight Ganon.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
OP, if that's the way you want to go, I guess that's fine, if you felt Sekiro was just okay up to that point, then I guess it was never going to be great for you. But Shura ending isn't just an alternative final ending, its basically ending the game only 2/3rds the way through, missing one of the biggest and most unique huge sections of the game, missing major chunks of story/lore, and missing 3 to 5 boss fights, including probably 2 of the best 3 in the game, which are also considered by many players to be among the best video game boss fights ever created.

My personal feeling is that you missed a good part of what makes Sekiro, Sekiro. But I can't fault anyone from moving on from something if they feel done.