• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still not sure where to get it - it's considerably cheaper on Steam in my country (and I would be able to run it better) but then I would miss out on PSN Trophies.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Excited as RE4 and REmake are two of my top ten and this seems to be combining both games.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
This and KH3 only a few days apart... I can buy both of them no problem but it makes me feel guilty buying 2 games so close to each other. ARGH

Royer

Oct 27, 2017
I played RE2 alongside my dad when I was a kid but now I can't remember a thing about the game, hopefully this will be the best way to rediscover this game.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've booked the day of work. Will be extremely extra happy if I somehow get it a day early.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't care whatsoever until
that Claire/Mr. X trailer showed up. That moment when you hear Mr. X's muffled theme song and footsteps in an adjacent room, slammed through a door and shoved a zombie cop aside as he made a beeline for you was so good.
Now I'm fully on board. Nothing kills my RE hype faster than marketing media that only focused on the action side of things.

The first hour or two are usually the worst. You're in an oppressive, unsettling environment, you're overthinking everything, you don't have any context of what to expect, what the ammo economy looks like which forces you to horde way more than you probably should, and you certainly don't have any of the jump scare "Rules" down yet. But after a few hours in you'll just end up picking up a ton of things subconsciously and start getting desensitized to all of it. It happens to me in every FEAR, every Resident Evil, and every Silent Hill.

So yeah, just power through the initial discomfort. It never lasts.
this is really good advice. Thank you very much!

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I'm excited. I generally don't feel any excitement for new releases anymore, has to do with age I guess.

I really liked the first version so I'll definitely buy this later this year when my backlog has shrunk a bit. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I have a feeling it's going to be something particularly special - like metacritic in the mid-90s special.

I'm excited for it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they did the same thing to RE1. Would've been cool to have full remakes of the classic trilogy (assuming they'll do Nemesis in the future).
RE1 was a project to reach the first three game's formula to peak performance. I suppose RE2 is that but for 4-6.
There's a lot of impressions from events online, but frankly, i don't think they make justice to how the game feels at all.

I tested it in a local event and despite what you see from videos, it feels way different than any other OTS RE. The character handling is smooth and responsive, so you're not as heavy like 4/5/6 or even 7, but the movement speed and aiming feels a little bit closer to the latter.

The camera works more in line with Resi 6, not being locked to the protagonist's perspective all the time, so you can move it freely while performing all actions available. That makes you way more capable than past games, giving fluidity in a way that you wouldn't really expect from Resident Evil at all. It's still challenging and methodic, mind you, but it just feels great all around.

Really seems like they tested and picked what's best from each third person title from the series, and from what i played, i think fans will be very surprised.
This was the vision I thought of when I played the Tall Oaks part of 6. I wonder somebody at Capcom realized that too and actually did something about that.
How does the aiming and shooting feel compared to RE6? Because I fucking hated everything about RE6's controls. It felt floaty and unsatisfying.
It controls like a dream. Like, you can feel the weight when Leon walks.
I hope RE 8 is in this style. This looks like the best version of resident evil there can be in terms of camera, tone, gameplay loop / resource scarcity. Still need to finish RE 1 remake eventually.
I think 7 is an indication that RE4 is not the be all and end all of the series. As a 3rd person camera was a radical departure for the mainline titles, so is the FPV. The 4, Leon, it's camera, etc. are all symbols of the tectonic shift title that were felt across gaming for the next ten years.

I mean, hell: gaming has changed since putting a over-the-shoulder camera view on tank controls. The 3D space has become so advanced that you no longer have to rely on limitations to create tension. Yeah, that E3 reveal was hyper fast but that's how you would expect something horrifying to come after you in the real world. Doesn't mean your avatar has to know kung-fu to counteract it.

A lot of these thoughts flooded in my mind when I saw that trailer but I was one of the few in the world that...was at odds despite seeing the potential mechanics and reasons behind this direction as it was not just like REmake 1 as I have always imagined since 2002.
But upon actually playing it made me think it is still might be something that is in control of the depiction of feeble humans trying to scrap and squimer their way out of the horde of the undead.

Though, was it true that the devs did have plans on implementing a fixed-camera angle option? Is that still a thing? WIll it be a surprise?
Which one of you is this?

1546212691849.jpg
Not even doing OG representation; all in for the future of the past.
It's inevitably going to disappoint if we compare it directly to the original. It's less of a remake as such and more like an entirely new game with the same setting, characters, and story. The mechanics, tone and presentation though are wildly different.
The actual qustion is: will it be as good as REmake 1?
Yeah, I only cared about the plot until the third game. I lost complete interest afterwards and found myself not caring for the story in later installments.

With the characterizations of Leon and Claire returning to normal form in this game, there's potential for so much more in the future if they decide to continue this narrative somehow and pretend CV, 4, 5, 6 didn't happen.
They can with 8 and onward.
So what you're telling me is 'no'. lol

EDIT: Oh, main version has the better cover anyway. Instead of the DE having Leon's weird penis gun
It's the VP-70.
VP70Mphoto.jpg

It really did exist.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm equally excited and worried.
I fear they have mde the game chock full of modern AAA cliched game design, like overlong cutscenes, scripted sequences, more straightforward and easier. Just looking pretty does nothing for me.

Yet I'm still hoping for the best. The original is a classic and deserve only the best kind of remake it can get. Fingers crossed.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm equally excited and worried.
I fear they have mde the game chock full of modern AAA cliched game design, like overlong cutscenes, scripted sequences, more straightforward and easier. Just looking pretty does nothing for me.

This is honestly the least of my worries, *every* main series RE game was harder than the original RE2, whether we're still looking at classic RE's, or the later action ones. The puzzles were the easiest among the classic formula RE's too.

The one thing RE2 did better than any of the other classic RE's was it's incredible pacing from start to finish.

Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly the least of my worries, *every* main series RE game was harder than the original RE2, whether we're still looking at classic RE's, or the later action ones. The puzzles were the easiest among the classic formula RE's too.

The one thing RE2 did better than any of the other classic RE's was it's incredible pacing from start to finish.
It's honestly the reason RE2 resonated the most with me growing up. As a kid I found RE1 and 3 too difficult and RE2 was refreshing in how much easier to grasp and manageable it was. RE1 and 3 were games I didn't actually finish until I replayed them years later as an adult.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Insanely excited.

One of my favorite games ever is getting a proper big budget remake. And according to all the previews, it seems like a really good remake at that.

FFVIIr would also fit that bill as well if it ever becomes anything more than a PSX experience teaser.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Extremely.
I have both the PS4 version on preorder at GameStop and I have purchased the pc version on GMG for its preorder discount. I have not been more excited for a game in a long time. Everything I have watched has blown me away can't wait for the this.

10 years ago if you told me they were doing a resident evil 2 remake with the camera of 4 I would have been pissed. But now I'm starved for this. *stevencolbertgiveittome.gif*

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I just wanted to say that this is my most anticipated title of 2019 and probably the only one I'll buy at launch. I'm usually one to try and consume as much pre-launch material as possible, but I've barely seen anything so far and I'm excited for the surprises.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
At this point, I believe that my girlfriend is more hyped than I currently am haha.

She loves sitting next to me and watching me play horror games. She enjoys seeing me terrified!

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited. This game and Tales of Vesperia are my most anticipated to play in January. Already preordered both on PSN. Of course I went digital deluxe edition for this game.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
January is usually a very fast-moving month for me but Resi 2 has slammed the brakes on :P

In a way it's great because it means I actually have "time" to get my work done.

Can NOT wait! Saturday 26th will actually be the first time I get to play due to a wedding I have to attend on the Friday (though I might sneak a quick midnight session if I have the energy).

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Not really super excited. I am a big fan of the original and all old school RE games but this just looks a bit too different.The new camera is a little disappointing (I am a big fan of the fixed camera angles) but what I mainly don't like are the new flahslight sections they have added. They remind me of those parts of the Last of Us where you are running around in the dark which I HATED. I am still going to buy it but I will wait for a sale.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Of course, I am super excited! Looking forward to playing my favourite game of all time remade in 4K. Already pre-ordered Resident Evil 2 Deluxe Edition on my Xbox One X (Hopefully the best version), locked and loaded for January 25th.

Capcom has a game of the year contender on their hands by the looks of things, everything about Resident Evil 2 looks outstanding from creature redesigns to the iconic police department. We are living in the golden era of Capcom.

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
Any news on how the game plays on pro/x? I want to pre-order but been burned in the past choosing the wrong format. U would think x is the one to choose but so many times framerate suffers cos the devs get greedy in the chase for resolution.

Hx]

Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
Extremely. Mainly because saw little to no trailers/news about it since the announcements. Eager to see how this remake stands out

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
RE2 was probably my favorite PS1 game ever, so to say I'm excited is an understatement. I've avoid most media over the game, not due to spoilers or anything, but to maybe try to recapture some of the magic of that first RE2 play through. I know that's impossible but I hope Capcom delivers.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if I should buy this as never played the original RE games and feel there to old to go back to now (haven't played 7 either).

Any idea on when reviews for this are out yet?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure it's already been answered, but is the classic soundtrack only available with the digital version?

It's available in the Deluxe physical edition for the US and the Collectors Edition for US and Europe.

It seems like it could be offered as DLC after launch, along with the outfits, fingers crossed.

And quoting myself from the community thread, see below:

The RE2 DLC looks like it'll be packaged together in one DLC pack on release day?

I'm pretty happy about that, much better than having to get Digital Deluxe. I wonder how much the pack will cost.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Not day one excited (backlog, thx for saving me money), but quite excited!
Looking forward to get and play it at the first digital discounted price! The game looks really good!
The first RE is my favourite of the series, I also loved RE2 but I don't remember it clearly as I remember RE1... so it will be pretty fun to replay it in this revised version.

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
Steelbook pre-ordered, my body is ready. The original is my favourite game, I can't wait to see what they've done with it.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Not excited at all, I wasn't a fan of the original to begin with. I'd be super hyped about another VR Resident Evil, like 7.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Excited as hell. RE2 is one of my all-time favourites, can't wait to dig in again. I started the PS1 game last week after almost 18 years and the nostalgia is overflowing!

Don't know if I should buy this as never played the original RE games and feel there to old to go back to now (haven't played 7 either).

Any idea on when reviews for this are out yet?
You don't need to have played any other previous game in the series, classic or new. Resident Evil is not a plot-driven series, you can pick any to jump in (aside from 6). Obviously the purist side of me would suggest REmake but RE2make will be an equally good point of entry for someone who wants a more modern experience.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'm ridiculously excited. My favourite game of all time being remade and to what looks like a ridiculously high standard. I've booked three days off work so I have 5 days over the weekend to smash my way through this. I really hope there is a demo as I want to get a chance to master what I can of the combat before playing the full game. I really want to speed and challenge run this like I have done so many times with the original.

So yeah very excited, I rarely get this excited about games these days.