• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait till you hear my pitch for Canon Tapion.

How's that square with Beerus being a trickster who clearly had no intention of blowing up the Earth in BoG with the actively malicious asshole he is in Super who gradually becomes a better and kinder person?

Like, they're different characters.
It's never stated that he had no intention of blowing up Earth in BoG, he only spared them out of respect and for their food, which is basically what happened in the anime as well.
Wasn't the Super manga different from the anime? I don't even know what to make of the IP at this point.

They tell the same story but differently. The manga is still going and is currently in its second post Broly arc and the outline was done by Toriyama, much like the arcs when the anime was running. We also have the movie continuity, Broly doesn't perfectly fit in either the manga or anime continuities due to the lack of the upgraded Blue forms.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The BoG and RoF retellings are just that, retellings. They (and all of Super's adaptations) get overruled by whatever Toriyama writes in the future arcs, but stay consistent with whatever is also maintained from the movies.

It's like the Super manga and anime differences. They both come from Toriyama's outlines and go in different directions, but both are equally valid and build off each other.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's never stated that he had no intention of blowing up Earth in BoG, he only spared them out of respect and for their food, which is basically what happened in the anime as well.

They tell the same story but differently. The manga is still going and is currently in its second post Broly arc of which the outline was done by Toriyama. We also have the movie continuity, Broly doesn't perfectly fit in either the manga or anime continuities due to the lack of the upgraded Blue forms.
No it's not stated, it's inferred.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The BoG and RoF retellings are just that, retellings. They (and all of Super's adaptations) get overruled by whatever Toriyama writes in the future arcs, but stay consistent with whatever is also maintained from the movies.

It's like the Super manga and anime differences. They both come from Toriyama's outlines and go in different directions, but both are equally valid and build off each other.
The "build off each other" thing is something a lot of people ignore. Vegetto showing up in the FT arc was Toyotaro's idea (though due to the anime being ahead at that point it happened there before it did in the manga.) Goku and Vegeta using Super Saiyan God again was done in the manga first and eventually made its way into the anime with Goku and in Broly with both Goku and Vegeta. Blue Evolved is another big one, it was an anime original idea that the manga took, though with an altered design. Toyotaro even designed a bunch of the GoDs that made their debuts in the anime.
The three continuities may have some key differences, but they all freely take ideas from each other and ultimately tell the same basic story.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Bra Briefs, daughter of Bloomers and sister to Trunks.
Briefs isn't their last name, it's just Dr Briefs' name. Bulma is surprised that Goku has a family name and tells him that most people don't have family names anymore.
She was born right before the ToP began. It was one of Vegeta's motivators to win.
Beerus also baby sits her in Broly.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Super manga different from the anime? I don't even know what to make of the IP at this point.
They both follow the same main story beats, it's just how they get through those story beats are significantly different. Powerups are the biggest inconsistencies in terms of what's canon.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's zero hint that his intention was to actively not destroy Earth from the start.
Yeah there is.

Beerus wakes up, asks if the Saiyans are dead yet and explicitly says he could have given them an eternity to shape up and they wouldn't, and then when he finds out Freeza did it he goes "neat, I'll go kill him too I guess." Beerus as presented at the start is someone who is very obviously more invested in his job than his Super counterpart, both his potential victims he's talking about, the Saiyans and Freeza, are actually giant bastards.

He then spends the entire rest of the movie dicking around and partying with people who just barely take him seriously (and Vegeta) until things go wrong with Buu deliberately antagonizing him, whereupon he dispatches all of them without hurting anyone, and after everyone on-hand fights him then he says they have one last chance to prove the SSG exists. He slaps Bulma unconscious and then at the end of the movie apologizes for disrupting her party, even!

Then the actual God ritual happens and the entire time Beerus is prodding thoughts like "wow Goku you have all this power but you're selfish enough to resent you didn't earn it by yourself" and his deal is that Goku has to be stronger than him to spare Earth, except Beerus already knows that's impossible. The entire post-fight sequence is this little dialogue about the multiverse and their reality, which you'd think he wouldn't bother with if he actually wanted to kill everyone.

The voice acting especially plays into this where most of Beerus' lines are smooth and calm, like he already knows how things are going to go down, and a lot of his wilder reactions are played for comedy or in the fight at the party.

Like, yeah, I do think it's pretty clear Beerus was more of a knowing trickster mentor than the big bag of dicks he started out as in Super.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is.

Beerus wakes up, asks if the Saiyans are dead yet and explicitly says he could have given them an eternity to shape up and they wouldn't, and then when he finds out Freeza did it he goes "neat, I'll go kill him too I guess." Beerus as presented at the start is someone who is very obviously more invested in his job than his Super counterpart, both his potential victims he's talking about, the Saiyans and Freeza, are actually giant bastards.
He does this in the anime too. The reason he wanted to kill the Saiyans and Freeza was entirely because he didn't like them, not because he's invested in his job. Him asking Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta is a perfect example of Beerus not taking his job seriously.

He then spends the entire rest of the movie dicking around and partying with people who just barely take him seriously (and Vegeta) until things go wrong with Buu deliberately antagonizing him, whereupon he carefully dispatches all of them without hurting anyone, and after everyone on-hand fights him then he says they have one last chance to prove the SSG exists. He slaps Bulma unconscious and then at the end of the movie apologizes for disrupting her party, even!
This all happens in the anime too. He also is just about to destroy the planet when Goku shows up.

Then the actual God ritual happens and the entire time Beerus is prodding thoughts like "wow Goku you have all this power but you're selfish enough to resent you didn't earn it by yourself" and his deal is that Goku has to be stronger than him to spare Earth, except Beerus already knows that's impossible. The entire post-fight sequence is this little dialogue about the multiverse and their reality, which you'd think he wouldn't bother with if he actually wanted to kill everyone.
This is because he has a growing respect for Goku and knows he could become a great rival, which again is something that is in the anime as well.

The voice acting especially plays into this where most of Beerus' lines are smooth and calm, like he already knows how things are going to go down, and a lot of his wilder reactions are played for comedy or in the fight at the party.
He's calm because he's sure of himself, and his anger is legitimate, not sure what your point is here.

Both the anime and the movie make in a point to tell you how petty, lazy and short tempered Beerus is, the biggest difference in the anime is that we have more time to see this in action.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does this in the anime too. The reason he wanted to kill the Saiyans and Freeza was entirely because he didn't like them, not because he's invested in his job. Him asking Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta is a perfect example of Beerus not taking his job seriously.

This all happens in the anime too. He also is just about to destroy the planet when Goku shows up.

This is because he has a growing respect for Goku and knows he could become a great rival, which again is something that is in the anime as well.

He's calm because he's sure of himself, and his anger is legitimate, not sure what your point is here.
Aight, whatever. Not gonna spend the rest of my night arguing about character reads of Dragon Ball.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see we have started early with the customary WeekendEra Dragonball thread

Vegeta can be the king on any planet he wanted, instead he just wants to be a family man

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I think his being Prince of the Saiyans informs his pride as a fighter moreso than it informs any kind of sadness that he's not ruling a people. His princehood is disrespected when he feels like people are sandbagging a fight or when they talk shit about working hard when they haven't worked as hard as him. Those aren't the feelings of a sad Saiyan.

Also, Future Trunks adores him so that's at least one Saiyan who pays attention to him.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta refuses to declare himself king because if he did, Trunks would become the new Prince of All Saiyans. And that cannot stand.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no evidence for what they said, all that's been retconned is Bulma and Goku not having seen each other for 5 years.
That's what I was getting at, yeah. The exact circumstance of the big timeskip and setting of End of Z where everything's been nice and dandy clearly isn't happening as it was intended back in 1995.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They'd also have to explain why Beerus, Whis, Pilaf's gang and #17 are all absent and why (slight manga spoilers) the Grand Supreme Kai doesn't show up with Buu.
The only one that needs an explanation there is Pilaf's gang since they live with Bulma now. Beerus, Whis and 17 don't hang out with the cast all the time and the manga reference you're making was temporary. It's not like they split.
He just took over Buu's body for a while.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The only one that needs an explanation there is Pilaf's gang since they live with Bulma now. Beerus, Whis and 17 don't hang out with the cast all the time and the manga reference you're making was temporary. It's not like they split.
He just took over Buu's body for a while.

Bulma throws an extravagent reunion party with loads of food and Beerus/Whis don't turn up? Even by Dragon Ball standards, that's a stretch! It would be strange for 18 not to convince 17 to come, what with the inroads they made with him during the ToP. Guy's got a family who the rest of the cast will want to meet.

Heck, I could easily see Goku dragging Broly's crew to it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bulma throws an extravagent reunion party with loads of food and Beerus/Whis don't turn up? Even by Dragon Ball standards, that's a stretch! It would be strange for 18 not to convince 17 to come, what with the inroads they made with him during the ToP. Guy's got a family who the rest of the cast will want to meet.

Heck, I could easily see Goku dragging Broly's crew to it.
What? There's no party. Bulma, Vegeta and Trunks briefly visit Goku's home and then they go to the Budokai.