• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if you lived hundreds of miles from your nearest neighbor, went into your back yard, didn't see anyone, and proclaimed that you are the only human in existence.

Claiming no other life exists on other planets is kinda like that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in all honesty, if you were an alien would you try to make contact with us? We'd probably kill them on sight or at least try.
all they'd have to do is tap into our radio signals to learn that humanity would fuck them, kill them, and eat their brains to gain their knowledge.

and not necessarily in that order.

everything we've ever seen a scary alien do on screen, we've done it 10X worse, to another human being.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
What if we've already met aliens but our brains couldn't comprehend their existence, so they just passed by us? And they didn't recognize is as "life forms" either because their definition of something "alive" is wildly different?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be so on brand for this timeline that the universe is just full of aliens, but every alien civilization is just "too far, staying here lol"

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet there is life somewhere out there in universe. I'm not willing to bet it's intelligent.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Space is really huge and full of interesting things, I think it's likely there is other life out there too.

We will never find it though because again, space is big. We won't be traveling across our own galaxy, let alone to other galaxies.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
If you really think about it, there could be a member of one of these other highly advanced civilizations out there, trying to learn about humans by accessing Reset Era dot com and posing as one of us on these boards

It could be the OP

It could be me

No one will ever know!

But honestly it would be so cool to make contact with some other civilization or at least confirm it somehow. Sadly we humans are such a small blip on the history of the universe that it would be insane odds if we managed to do so.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Out of the billions of life forms that existed on earth we're the only ones that have language etc.
There's almost certainly life elsewhere but intelligent? I'm not so sure.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I subscribe to the Great Filter idea. Essentially, each civilisation encounters something that becomes its make or break event. It's possible that we've already beaten our Filter event, but it's looking like climate change is the one that will decide whether we make it to becoming advanced or not.

So with that in mind, I'm of the opinion there is intelligent life but not any (or many) advanced civilisations because few make it past the Great Filter.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually a believer of the great filter, in that while there's definitely life on other worlds, we're probably one of the only species capable of space flight in the Milky Way galaxy. Thus, it's on us to become a space faring species.

Pisses me off that we spend trillions of dollars on the military instead of exploring space. We went to the moon 50+ years ago and we haven't done shit since. The ISS is an achievement, but we should be colonizing other planets at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I like a spin on a scifi trope. Perhaps we really are the only ones and it's up to us to seed the galaxy with life. And when we're long gone and other intelligent life is thriving and seeking answers to their existence, we will be the race of legends, the mysterious Ancient Ones, The Creators or something like that.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, the odds are very much in favor of there being other life out there.

Ya wanna get really crazy, imagine that there might be a planet similar to ours that was formed around the same time. Then imagine that life started forming around the same time that it did here on Earth. THEN imagine that this similar planet did NOT have any extinction level events that took out most life forms. How advanced would they be? Could very well be something like that out there. I suppose we'll probably never know, at least not in our lifetimes, but it's fun to think about.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think it's pure statistics. The universe is so fucking huge it's implausible to me that this is the only planet that ever had life. Whether life happens to be on a planet we'll ever reach as humanity or vice versa, that's a whole other question.

There are a lot of thought experiments, such as the fermi paradox, that seem to provide a "logical" explanation for why signs of other civilizations haven't been observed.

Funny thing is though, if there's one thing scientific exploration of the world and the universe has done time and again, it has been to knock humanity off its pedestal.

The world was not created for man. The sun does not revolve around the earth. Humanity is like all other life on this planet. The conditions for physical existence are the same throughout the universe. The discovery of exoplanets now increasingly provides examples of the same principles playing out countless times across the universe.

The pattern suggests that life is hardly unique either, and that includes intelligent life. If anything, I'm willing to bet this:

That not just life, but forms of intelligence, are entirely common in the universe. That life is everywhere. And if humanity hasn't detected or correctly interpreted evidence of this in just a century of pointing stuff at the sky, the fault is with humanity for simply not understanding something yet.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sentient life out there at some point - certainly

Sentient life out there right now - very likely

Sentient space faring human intelligence or above life out there at some point - likely

Sentient space faring human intelligence or above life out there right now - moderate maybe

I just doubt space fairing intelligent life would care interacting with us very much. Plus they may be bound by a Trek like Prime Directive

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Without Near light speed travel and a shit ton of time surviving in space the barrier to exploring another earth like world is fucking massive

Odds are still very much stacked against life for finding each other across the cosmos

Oct 27, 2017
We're all alone in a computer on some derelict starship somewhere like an ant farm. The aliens came and took over a long time ago but no one bothered to notice.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually a believer of the great filter, in that while there's definitely life on other worlds, we're probably one of the only species capable of space flight in the Milky Way galaxy. Thus, it's on us to become a space faring species.

Pisses me off that we spend trillions of dollars on the military instead of exploring space. We went to the moon 50+ years ago and we haven't done shit since. The ISS is an achievement, but we should be colonizing other planets at this point.

Yes, so we can also drain all of their resources and destroy them with pollution and global warming.

We should be investing that money in technologies to preserve Earth first.