• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I didn't list him because I don't think he'd be that surprising. Like, of course Goku would end up in Smash; he's fucking Goku and has been in a thousand fighting games and cross-over games in Japan and shit.

The amount of people who think that Goku or other non-video game origin characters are actually a possibility is pretty depressing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't list him because I don't think he'd be that surprising. Like, of course Goku would end up in Smash; he's fucking Goku and has been in a thousand fighting games and cross-over games in Japan and shit.

We have very different definitions of "of course". The chance that Goku gets in Smash is negligibly close to 0%.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone knows the Answer is ...

Keanu Reeves

fan-saying-keanu-reeves-is-breathtaking-during-cyberpunk-207_9py8.910.jpg

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I think I'd roll my eyes at all but the MK characters. I don't get why people want out of left field inclusions in Smash. Isn't there more Nintendo stuff to mine from?

Smash isn't really just about Nintendo anymore. Hasn't been since 2008. It's a celebration of all video games at this point. There's more third party characters in Smash now than there were total characters in the original game.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Really? Why is that?

Sakurai has literally stated on multiple occasions that anime and manga characters are never happening.

The rules of the Smash Ballot back in 2014 stressed that the character you voted for had to originate from a video game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sora.

If Sakurai can get through both Disney and Square Enix it'll be a miracle.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
aren't they leaked already?
l saw a leak thread the other day predicting dragon quest hero months before the official announcement.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh... I don't really think there's any character that can cause a bigger meltdown than Banjo at this point, the closest would be Master Chief and Goku probably lmao

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
A comic book character and an anime character, because they are riding on the line between possible and impossible.

So maybe Ironman and Goku.

Also maybe a Sony character and I would go with either Kratos or Alloy.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai has literally stated on multiple occasions that anime and manga characters are never happening.

The rules of the Smash Ballot back in 2014 stressed that the character you voted for had to originate from a video game.
Because Sakurai has confirmed multiple times that only video game characters are allowed in Smash, and has used Goku as an example.

https:///sakurai-repeats-that-goku-will-not-appear-in-the-super-smash-bros-series/
Ah, I didn't know. Well in that case, yeah, that would definitely blow people's minds.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Feel like the franchise needs to be a thing in Japan for it to even happen. Don't think something almost completely western oriented will happen.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Doomguy would be pretty big, I think, because he's a prolific representation of just the Western industry but also a genre Japan and Nintendo are not known for.

Someone like Crash would also stir the pot, just because it'd show Sony representation on a Nintendo platform. Master Chief would be big but I think at this point everybody is comfortable with Microsoft and Nintendo being in bed together. Sony is the outlier. Crash is an oddity though, as it's not a Sony IP any more, even if it once was.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Feel like the franchise needs to be a thing in Japan for it to even happen. Don't think something almost completely western oriented will happen.

This is why someone like Master Chief or Doom Slayer would be so mind blowing, everyone assumes it would never happen because the FPS genre has almost no presence in Japan.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Geno (everybody expects another 3rd party game crossover, he'll make ALL the nostalgic battle sounds, Mallow helps him attack or Final Smash, Exor shows up somehow).

Goku (but it's original Kid Goku, which is why FighterZ ended up with Kid Goku GT. This means his power set is a lot more in-line with Smash, more use of his pole and cloud, and it harkens back to just how far back Dragon Ball has a history with Nintendo. People will gripe about not having Adult Goku, but he's not a great fit, and trying to limit him would end up with... Fast Flying Ryu? Rainbow Edition Ryu.)

Bonus: They'll make Waluigi happen. They'll play up the whole "left out" angle. He'll probably be the absolute last character released, although there's a small chance Nintendo might have a smaller team make 1 or 2 extra, free characters later on during the Switch's life, possibly as major cross-promotion for something. A new Pokémon, some revitalized IP, hard to say.

Shame Google Theory might've spoiled the remaining two. Honestly, I don't really want the Doom Marine; they've probably got a way to make him work well and it'll be awesome (first-person shooting during Final Smash, that won't make other people queasy), but I'm just having a hard time seeing the character be anything but shock value and "Oh that's neat I guess."

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
  • Sans Undertale
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
All of those are genuinely possible (reminder, Crash is owned by Activision now), and would blow peoples' minds.

Unfortunately, since all the DLC was chosen by NCL any characters that aren't popular in Japan are pretty much deconfirmed. [Which is a shame, because I would absolutely love to see Scorpion.]
Tbh I would rather play as Papyrus Undertale. Sans is too OP.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era would implode with two Fire Emblem characters :v Both from the lord class.

Worldwide impact and Era am cry: Steve from Minecraft, and Fortnite character.

Big impact, but maybe not Japan and so: Doom Guy and Lara Croft

General impact, and greatly received in enthusiast gaming forums like Era: Crash Bandicoot and Sora

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sans would get a lot of people mad due to "Why did this indie trash get in over *x big franchise*", so definitely Sans. Also Mash from Fate Go for mobile game reasons.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm pretty sure Sora would break the Internet.

Even if he didn't, he's my last remaining dream character (after Mega Man and Banjo-Kazooie) and I will lose my fucking MIND if he somehow gets in.

Mind you, I don't expect it at all, but if it happens... I'll lose my shit. Here's hoping, haha.

As for the other one? I dunno. Master Chief, I guess? Or a Resident Evil character? I don't really care, as Sora is the final remaining third-party character I'd lose my mind about who even has a Shadow of a chance. (Pun intended.)

As for third-party characters I'd be hyped about who will never make it in, Amaterasu is #1. In a better timeline, Okami would be a million-seller and Ammy would be a shoo-in. :(

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief and Goku would be pretty much the only pair that would top the increasing trend of insanity.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I mean, Master Chief and Sora are the two biggest, actually possible characters that immediately come to mind. Will they get in? I doubt it. Sora would make three Square Enix characters and Banjo Kazooie already represents Microsoft. I think the last two will be smaller scale reveals, while still being popular characters obviously.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Wasn't Google Theory disproven? Did something else come up?

Google Theory has been modified. It's theorized now that since Artorias is the name of the Dark Souls DLC, it triggered the ad to pop up, because typing "dlc" at all in a character search made the ad pop up. No one testing the theory during construction thought to try "Hero" by itself and instead were searching the individual names of Dragon Quest protagonists and it didn't pop up.

So technically, since the theory got Banjo right and Artorias was a false positive so to speak, some are still speculating that Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa will be the final two characters. Which I would totally be down for personally.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Google Theory has been modified. It's theorized now that since Artorias is the name of the Dark Souls DLC, it triggered the ad to pop up, because typing "dlc" at all in a character search made the ad pop up. No one testing the theory during construction thought to try "Hero" by itself and instead were searching the individual names of Dragon Quest protagonists and it didn't pop up.

So technically, since the theory got Banjo right and Artorias was a false positive so to speak, some are still speculating that Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa will be the final two characters. Which I would totally be down for personally.

Ah, makes sense.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Can you specify what exactly is "google theory"? It's the first I hear of it.

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking hell, OP, you're 100% percent right. Gordon Freeman being revealed would blow our collective minds, especially because the character is zero relevant today.

I think people are somehow _expecting_ Masterchief now, so I don't think it'd be as surprising or unexpected now that we've seen what Nintendo and MS are capable of doing.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
An Indie rep would be pretty crazy, I think that'd probably be the most surprising to me. Every playable character so far is from a major publisher.