• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have been tasked in investing in handheld gaming systems for an upcoming project. I have to recommend the purchase of between 5 -20 systems based on quality, price and ease of use, etc. I think I need help. So far I see:

about 100 bucks
61JbIyXz6BL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

61m4BJummHL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

And a bunch of other knock off bo-bo type devices.

I don't have an unlimited budget and I am not beholden to any company. I need to be to cultivate the best games for menu of sorts so I'm looking for quality. I could just buy a ton of DS/GBA games and systems but I feel like that will lock me into a particular eco-system.

I thought this would be a easier than this. I have a few months before go live so there is time.

THANKS ERA.

Oct 28, 2017
I have my eye on the rg350 as a potential jrpg machine but idk if the text would be too small on that screen or not. The reviews are awesome though

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Don't buy any of those sub-$100 chinese systems. Especially the ones that have the words CONTAINS X00+ GAMES

Raspberry pi handheld kits are an option because you at least know the hardware will be up to snuff although there's still the issue of the screen. For pi handhelds probably the Retro CM3 is your best bet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgXrFh0J68 still not perfect though.

There are Android options the Moqi i7s is the best option there. It has dedicated controls, a great screen, and can even emulate Gamecube games!

Overall though without being locked down to an ecosystem the upcoming Analogue pocket will be the best one hands down as it uses an FPGA chip, is from a reputable company with an outstanding hardware and software track record, and takes actual cartridges
4-Analogue-Pocket-All.jpg

9_Pocket_3_4.0.jpg

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch has an insane retro library thanks to stuff like Arcade Archives, Sega Ages, and various publishers different retro collections.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with all of these is that they seem to be stuck basically at the 16-bit stage—some can do PS1. When a handheld can get at least up to Dreamcast, then I may be interested. Until then, Vita and 3DS are basically the best options depending on whether you favor the Sony or Nintendo ecosystems.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hey Soapbox Killer it might help if you elaborate on the purpose of this project.

Is this aimed at children? adults? Is it a hardware showcase? Is it being compared to something else? Are there any restrictions or is there a precise budget? Does the game selection matter? Does emulation matter?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really want the Odroid Go Advance. It plays just about everything up to PS1, and runs EmulationStation as its front-end. You have to put it together, but it's only $55.
It only has two total shoulder buttons and one stick, so it'll only be good for PS1 games that don't need them, so that's disappointing, but it still looks like a great device for all 16-bit games and under.

Edit: Shoulda read the OP...

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
The Odroid Go Advance looks pretty interesting. Seems like it has a decent amount of power for the price ($55). A lot of the other handhelds that have been coming out lately like the RG350 are just GCW Zero clones (2013 MIPS hardware). There were a lot of good emu ports for that system, so the stuff that runs on that hardware is still decent. But you should be able to run newer, more accurate emulators on the Odroid with it's Rockchip processor.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I wish the Analogue Pocket had a GBA form factor. My hands hurt just looking at it

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy any of those sub-$100 chinese systems. Especially the ones that have the words CONTAINS X00+ GAMES

Raspberry pi handheld kits are an option because you at least know the hardware will be up to snuff although there's still the issue of the screen. For pi handhelds probably the Retro CM3 is your best bet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgXrFh0J68 still not perfect though.

There are Android options the Moqi i7s is the best option there. It has dedicated controls, a great screen, and can even emulate Gamecube games!

The upcoming Analogue pocket will be the best one hands down as it uses an FPGA chip, is from a reputable company with an outstanding hardware and software track record, and takes actual cartridges
4-Analogue-Pocket-All.jpg

9_Pocket_3_4.0.jpg

So out on the sub 100, got it.

Analogue Pocket is dope but the price means I will only get one. For that kinda of coin a Switch Lite seems like a better choice and Eshop it up.

Just bought an Odroid Go Advance. Can't wait to add it to the collection.

Will look into this as well.

Hey Soapbox Killer it might help if you elaborate on the purpose of this project.

Is this aimed at children? adults? Is it a hardware showcase? Is it being compared to something else? Are there any restrictions or is there a precise budget? Does the game selection matter? Does emulation matter?

I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics in a open forum however, a gaming focused coffee shop wouldn't be too far off...

Budget is TBA
emulation has to go through legal but I think it will be ok since there is no purchase of the product but...I'm not a laywer
Kids through Adults

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I got the PocketGo 2 and it is great. Emulation is solid with no screen tearing what so ever. The only bad thing is some lots has QC issue with buttons being a little unresponsive. There is a quick fix for it though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I splurged on a GPD Win 2 and the controls are bad so a I never use it.

One of these days I'll finally be able to play PCSX2 and Dolphin on a portable that runs well and doesn't feel terrible... one of these days...

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a Rg350 as a christmas present to myself (the orange one) I enjoy it, pretty solid controls (although the d pad is slightly too low) and runs up to Ps1 games, I was able to play NFL Blitz, Gran Turismo 2 and Tony Hawks 2 so I'm pleased! SNES and GBA are also pretty solid too.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics in a open forum however, a gaming focused coffee shop wouldn't be too far off...

Ahh gotcha I've been part of projects like that. If that's the case security is probably a concern as well as people locking down a device or signing into their own accounts on a more open device. Adults would be the general target audience as well so playing to Nostalgia would be a good idea.

In that case I think Android, PC devices (unless you're willing to invest in some deep freeze or equivalent licenses), and Switch are probably out.

So my suggestions would be Gameboy Advance Micro, the DSi XL, or the PSP Street (aka E1000). Other than that I'm still stanning the Analogue Pocket
18j3uqja7wdbijpg.jpg

Nintendo_Game_Boy_Micro_-_Famicom_Version_retropixl_retrogaming_limited_edition_1.jpg

psp-hardware-two-column-01-ps4-eu-18nov15

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I softmodded my Vita a few years ago, just to turn it into the best PSP Sony ever made.

It's really just a PSP/PS1 machine today, but I still love that feel of that machine.

The Analogue Pocket is going to be a beautiful machine.

Oct 25, 2017
Good fucking luck fighting off the lawyers if you're looking at $100 handheld emulation boxes.

Do these devices exist?
Yes.
Is it in any way wise to use them?
No.

They are of middling quality, will be easy to steal, won't draw customers, and worse yet, will be *at best* a constant source of legal limbo.
Sure, these guys can sell you the things, legally, as long as no copyrighted material is on them *at time of sale*. But are you gonna try and say that there's no copyrighted material on them when a customer comes in to play?

Get yourselves a nice good bunch of setups using the Mini systems at tables if you aren't going with original hardware.
Get some Arcade 1Ups.
Hell get a driving simulator cockpit but get something that isn't automatically going to throw you into legal limbo out the gate.

Edit: Or go through the hassle of acquiring a physical copy of every game you plan on throwing on these (or enough that no one will bother to count every game) to say "oh these are just our own backups".

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Good fucking luck fighting off the lawyers if you're looking at $100 handheld emulation boxes.

Do these devices exist?
Yes.
No.

They are of middling quality, will be easy to steal, won't draw customers, and worse yet, will be *at best* a constant source of legal limbo.
Sure, these guys can sell you the things, legally, as long as no copyrighted material is on them *at time of sale*. But are you gonna try and say that there's no copyrighted material on them when a customer comes in to play?

Get yourselves a nice good bunch of setups using the Mini systems at tables if you aren't going with original hardware.
Get some Arcade 1Ups.
Hell get a driving simulator cockpit but get something that isn't automatically going to throw you into legal limbo out the gate.

Edit: Or go through the hassle of acquiring a physical copy of every game you plan on throwing on these (or enough that no one will bother to count every game) to say "oh these are just our own backups".

Those Arcade systems would be awesome. Arcade cabinets are build to have multiple people around them too I would definitely be willing to screw around with one of those while waiting on coffee/drinking it.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

Do these devices exist?
Yes.
No.

Get some Arcade 1Ups.

This makes sense, like a lot of it however....I'm already done on the cheap knock offs. I was sketchy on them iin the first place but I had to explore all my options. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to explain myself better. Good looking on the tips.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Get a Vita. Get a controller to connect to your phone or tablet. Get the analogue pocket when it's available. Anything else is probably not worth the money.

Jun 26, 2018
I recently got the GKD350H, because the switch was too bulky a handheld to use, and It's been fulfilling it's purpose of being something portable I can have in my pocket and pull out whenever I want to do a little gaming while traveling.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got the GKD350H, because the switch was too bulky a handheld to use, and It's been fulfilling it's purpose of being something portable I can have in my pocket and pull out whenever I want to do a little gaming while traveling.
I also just got one of these. It's pretty great.
I really wish it had 4 shoulder buttons.

Sep 25, 2018
Hack your switch or hack a switch if you do not have one, it can do a Lot of emulation and run them well with the extra power it have over other handhelds

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I was interested in the pocketgo 2 since it reminds me of the Caanoo I used to have but the Odroid Go Advanced seems ideal. Only thing is I don't really like the look of the emulation station front end and would prefer something more like gmenu2x so I might wait to see what sort of community development springs up around it. Though all I really want is emulators and Easyrpg so either would probably do.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a Vita or a 3DS, those. I mean, there are some good handheld retro devices (Analogue is above and beyond), but one of the things that are a hit-or-miss on some lesser known brands is the build quality. For me, buttons are very important, and the D-pad on the Vita can't be beat. The 3DS (especially the New 2DS) is no slouch either, although I find it a little loose.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have an unlimited budget and I am not beholden to any company. I need to be to cultivate the best games for menu of sorts so I'm looking for quality. I could just buy a ton of DS/GBA games and systems but I feel like that will lock me into a particular eco-system.

A particular ecosystem of the greatest handheld games and systems ever made (aside from 3/2DS).

Seriously, GBA and the DS line are really amazing. And you simply can't replicate the DS experience with a non-DS system. They're essential.

I've been looking into these "retro" handhelds for a long time now and for now there simply isn't anything as good as what Nintendo produced. If you want to branch out beyond Game Boy and DS family games, try Virtual Console or installing homebrew on 3/2DS (or PSP) systems of your choice. You simply can't do better.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Analogue Pocket is the way to go. Really tempted to buy that beauty.

Lots of people saying Vita but I don't want to taint my precious Vita T_T. I would have to buy a second one if I ever went down that road.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I have the RG350 and in terms of ease of use and out-of-the-box playability it's pretty nice.
The screen resolution is a little lower than I would like which can make small text a bit difficult to read, but other than that I have really no complaints.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how the OP's project went or if it got hit by everything else that has happened since then.

I've still been on the lookout for new retro handhelds. Been seeing the RK2020 lately and it looks interesting.

Test121212121236526

Test121212121236526

Haven't looked into it any more than that but it might be worth a try.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how the OP's project went or if it got hit by everything else that has happened since then.

I've still been on the lookout for new retro handhelds. Been seeing the RK2020 lately and it looks interesting.

Test121212121236526

Test121212121236526

Haven't looked into it any more than that but it might be worth a try.
The RK2020's a direct clone of the Odroid Go Advance, right down to having Hardkernal's splash screen when booting up the system. It's considered pretty morally dubious since it's an unofficial clone in direct competition, using firmware written for the OGA.

not gonna judge, though. The OGA's in short supply. I ordered an RK2020 out of curiosity, and plan to support Hardkernal once they get more OGA kits in stock.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now I just bought an android phone (Samsung a71) for cloud gaming. Going into retro as well. It works wonderfully

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
The RK2020's a direct clone of the Odroid Go Advance, right down to having Hardkernal's splash screen when booting up the system. It's considered pretty morally dubious since it's an unofficial clone in direct competition, using firmware written for the OGA.

not gonna judge, though. The OGA's in short supply. I ordered an RK2020 out of curiosity, and plan to support Hardkernal once they get more OGA kits in stock.
Yeah it's pretty blatant how it's full clone. One of EtaPrime's videos show him taking the microSD from an OGA and just popping it in the RK2020 and it booted up using hardkernals own firmware.

If you can find one in stock the Odroid Go Advance Black(revised version with USB C for power) is an amazing device. I have the original OGA and I love mine.

But I don't begrudge people getting the RK2020 as Hard Kernal cannot produce the OGA fast enough to keep up with demand.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it's pretty blatant how it's full clone. One of EtaPrime's videos show him taking the microSD from an OGA and just popping it in the RK2020 and it booted up using hardkernals own firmware.

If you can find one in stock the Odroid Go Advance Black(revised version with USB C for power) is an amazing device. I have the original OGA and I love mine.

But I don't begrudge people getting the RK2020 as Hard Kernal cannot produce the OGA fast enough to keep up with demand.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. I'm in no rush so I'll keep an eye out for the OGA too.