• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
PersonAndStuff
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe need a bit of a sanity check here. Because I tend to imagine the worst.
So there has been a thread on resetera left unreplied by op for maybe five days. And a few more comments got added over the weekend. Should I mention this to a mod so they can DM them to see if they should be put away or, you know, see what happened to that guy inside that apartment.
Because the worst case scenario is what is on my mind.
I know. It's on my mind too. The apartment manager(I've been calling them landlord) said "They are unable to share any information about this tenant to make you feel better* due to privacy concerns." Which maybe means they know where he is at and legit can't say. If he's in jail or something. But still feels like bullshit. They can say "I've contacted the tenant" or even "There is no reason for concern." Possibly because the manager's boss(the real landlord) says he can't.
I don't know. I know people have told me to call the cops. Part of me doesn't want torch my relationship with my landlord by calling the cops to have them open up an apartment. And part of me just wants to pass the buck to my landlord and hope the worst isn't true. His job is to look after his tenants. He either did his job and thinks he can't say what he knows. Or he didn't do anything.

I also smelled outside his apartment. Nothing.

*This part is less snarky in context. I said "I know I'm being paranoid but could you please reach out to this tenant and confirm he's not dead so I can rest easy." but maybe still some snarky.
Does the OP know the name of the neighbor? If so, don't you guys have phone number databases? We have several public ones here in Sweden, and I could likely find my neighbor's cell phone number in less than 5 minutes. Otherwise, how about finding family members/relatives on facebook?
I looked at his packages. He has an impressively common name. I wasn't able to find anything. Except an obituary for a guy who died in late May but he was African American and I'm pretty sure this was a white guy.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
You need a firm word from your landlord that there he contacted the tenet and there is no issues within the residence. Thats it and thats all you need

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
If they are saying they can't share info then leave it be

just tell them the packages are obstructing the pathway or something and you are concerned from a fire safety standpoint.

they can figure that out then so they don't get fined out the ass for fire code violation

it is on them at this point if they are saying they can't divulge information for privacy concerns.

aka the dead don't have privacy, so they're not dead.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You need a firm word from your landlord that there he contacted the tenet and there is no issues within the residence. Thats it and thats all you need

I don't think the landlord is in any way obligated to give him that.

based on what OP said, it sounds like the landlord seems to know a little more about what is going on so I guess at that point it would be safe to assume the guy is not dead in there, so it's probably time to just leave it alone.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
You're clueless. They don't need to do that. Op contacted them and needs to call in the cops if he's concerned. Chances are they're out of town. I'd be furious if the place I️ rented from told anyone I️ wasn't home

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I looked at his packages. He has an impressively common name. I wasn't able to find anything. Except an obituary for a guy who died in late May but he was African American and I'm pretty sure this was a white guy.

Just take the boxes, and if you see you guy later just let him know that you were keeping them because you didn't want them to be stolen out in the open like that. And if he never returns, he was probably killed by the landlord and you get a lot of free shit. Just make sure you destroy the boxes very thoroughly

You're clueless. They don't need to do that. Op contacted them and needs to call in the cops if he's concerned. Chances are they're out of town. I'd be furious if the place I️ rented from told anyone I️ wasn't home

You wouldn't think the mass of like five boxes you ordered piling up across ten days wouldn't give anyone that clue?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the boxes, and if you see you guy later just let him know that you were keeping them because you didn't want them to be stolen out in the open like that. And if he never returns, he was probably killed by the landlord and you get a lot of free shit. Just make sure you destroy the boxes very thoroughly

You wouldn't think the mass of like five boxes you ordered piling up across ten days wouldn't give anyone that clue?
Then the damage is done. If they say the occupant is out of town they're at fault. Read the post I️ responded to. OPs already done his job. Stay out of peoples business

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I know. It's on my mind too. The apartment manager(I've been calling them landlord) said "They are unable to share any information about this tenant to make you feel better* due to privacy concerns." Which maybe means they know where he is at and legit can't say. If he's in jail or something. But still feels like bullshit. They can say "I've contacted the tenant" or even "There is no reason for concern." Possibly because the manager's boss(the real landlord) says he can't.
I don't know. I know people have told me to call the cops. Part of me doesn't want torch my relationship with my landlord by calling the cops to have them open up an apartment. And part of me just wants to pass the buck to my landlord and hope the worst isn't true. His job is to look after his tenants. He either did his job and thinks he can't say what he knows. Or he didn't do anything.

I also smelled outside his apartment. Nothing.

*This part is less snarky in context. I said "I know I'm being paranoid but could you please reach out to this tenant and confirm he's not dead so I can rest easy." but maybe still some snarky.

Just straight up ask "yes or no, have you heard from them? If not I'm calling the cops to make sure there isn't a dead body laying next door".
You being a good neighbour isn't going to annoy your landlord, though the fact you've dragged out this process over 10 days or so might.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
No. I️ think your take on this and response to my post is idiotic

It's called a 'joke.' I assumed that you realized that when I said 'my hallway' and I'm not the OP or connected to this in any way or when I said he should steal someone's packages lol. Like Jesus, I thought of all the things that wouldn't need a /s attached to it, it would be something like that in this weird and goofy thread.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
It's called a 'joke.' I assumed that you realized that when I said 'my hallway' and I'm not the OP or connected to this in any way or when I said he should steal someone's packages lol. Like Jesus, I thought of all the things that wouldn't need a /s attached to it, it would be something like that in this weird and goofy thread.

then ya gotta work on it more if you want to come off as amusing and don't quote someone responding to a post in a serious way to attempt it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
then ya gotta work on it more if you want to come off as amusing and don't quote someone responding to a post in a serious way to attempt it.

I don't even know how to respond to this lol, so I'm just going to let it at that.

Anyway, OP, in case you also read my post and didn't realize it was a joke, don't steal the man's boxes. They have to be out for at least a full month before that's cool.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Just straight up ask "yes or no, have you heard from them? If not I'm calling the cops to make sure there isn't a dead body laying next door".
You being a good neighbour isn't going to annoy your landlord, though the fact you've dragged out this process over 10 days or so might.
I love it, frankly. Most interactions should be so well defined like this instead of open ended nonsense. Everyone has agency, choices and consequences are well defined, everyone knows where they stand, there'll be no surprises and no need to follow up.

Honestly speaking, at 10 days out a lot of the urgency is gone now, if there was an accident in the home he'd be dead, the landlord does have an interest in their tenant to a degree they'd want to know if they're getting next month's rent so they've probably dug a little at this point and know the answer.

But in the future I do think people should be more upfront with their expectations and their own intentions, I think it'd be especially helpful for people who have anxiety to just lay it out and have a clear next step already decided and a clear sequence to follow keeping you in control instead of just stewing on it and others, like your landlord who you fear burning a bridge with over something so relatively minor, are probably going to appreciate knowing in advance what they need to do to not hear from you again and even if somewhat annoyed would probably respect a two conversation and done deal than a constant questioning on the matter.

darhf

Oct 28, 2017
Toulouse, France
1) Take the boxes
2) Sell
3) Profit !!

Seriously, a dead tenant would also be a problem for the landlord, he has ways to contact him, he most likely know the situation so let him handle it.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You guys are right. I got distracted by work and let this go on too long. I'm going to send my landlord another message that is more direct about "I need to know my neighbor isn't dead." I'm new to the building and I'm try not to piss him off. Calling the police would also probably do that. Because they would get the key from him.

Why not ring his doorbell/knock on his door. Unless you are not on good terms with the person?

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Apartment manager isn't going to willfully let a dead body just rot on the floor for days. At least not a remotely competent one. Odds are jail, hospital, something embarrassing, or they just don't care that their packages are out there and the manager was satisfied with whatever they said about it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If there are really that many boxes, I'm surprised the manager isn't just keeping them in the office for now. Hopefully your neighbor is ok.