• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird narrative.

I think it's frigging awesome that a SINGLE gaming platform, a platform that DOES NOT have several multi-billion dollar corporations paying for TV commercials and other marketing, buying games exclusively for their platform and often spending millions on R&D and subsidization of hardware for the past 2 decades plus, is still a match in terms of market share.

One platform vs 3 with all of that corporate backing and it's a match and even way bigger in certain markets.

If that doesn't tell you how fucking awesome people think PC gaming is, and how healthy it is, I don't know what will.

I'm confused, do Epic and Valve not count as multi-billion dollar corporations? Hell Valve tried to do Steam Machines.

Your post and this one:

Germany is the bastion of PC gaming and will never falter.

Seriously though, I'm so appreciative of Germans loving PC games and the many amazing genres that only that platform allows - sims, cRPGs, point n click, etc.

are pretty damn strange.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, do Epic and Valve not count as multi-billion dollar corporations? Hell Valve tried to do Steam Machines.
I think it's pretty obvious, isn't it?

PC Gaming is still an open platform for now. Steam machines were actually trying to increase that openness (which was also obvious).

Unless Epic succeeds with their strategy to create a forced PC Gaming monopoly under their command: PC Gaming will remain an open platform.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It would be customized for consoles if there was still enough demand for them
Console upgrades since 2001 with GC & Xbox have come from Nvidia & AMD's PC GPU's, the innovation & competition on PC leaks into Consoles, if PC gaming goes & Consoles magically don't, then you will see very small upgrades each generation, like PS4 to PS4 Pro level of a leap, for quite a high price too since PC gamers won't help eat the early R&D cost so AMD can later sell Sony/MS the same GPU's for cheap.

That would be a shitty future, though streaming only is even more of a worry.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Console upgrades since 2001 with GC & Xbox have come from Nvidia & AMD's PC GPU's, the innovation & competition on PC leaks into Consoles, if PC gaming goes & Consoles magically don't, then you will see very small upgrades each generation, like PS4 to PS4 Pro level of a leap, for quite a high price too since PC gamers won't help eat the early R&D cost so AMD can later sell Sony/MS the same GPU's for cheap.

That would be a shitty future, though streaming only is even more of a worry.
I was just saying it's possible for gaming as a whole to survive without pc for better or for worse

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I was just saying it's possible for gaming as a whole to survive without pc for better or for worse
That's fine, just in another thread similar to this a few people believed AMD/Nvidia will keep their GPU divisions up just for a new console every 6-7 years, the lack of innovation would absolutely suck since AMD/Nvidia wouldn't do that.

Dec 15, 2017
I'm aware that reset era is not that familiarized with PC gaming but how is Valve comparable with Sony Ms and Nintendo?

Valve is not championing PC gaming like the other 3 companies are on consoles. No one owns PC gaming, that's a plus but it has the small negative, you won't have a company behind developing games to get people on the platform.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm aware that reset era is not that familiarized with PC gaming but how is Valve comparable with Sony Ms and Nintendo?

Valve is not championing PC gaming like the other 3 companies are on consoles. No one owns PC gaming, that's a plus but it has the small negative, you won't have a company behind developing games to get people on the platform.
It doesn't need this. Just needs almost everyone developing the definitive versions for it.