• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
New market data shows that the German games market is growing, with total consumer spend rising to €4.4 billion last year.

That's a 9% increase on the €4 billion spent in 2017, according to figures from research firm GfK and the German Games Industry Association (also known as Game).

Most of the money has been spent on mobile games and in-app purchases for them, totalling at €1.5 million, while a further €1.27 million was spent on console games, as well as in-game purchases, subscriptions and online services for console platforms.

In fact, Game reports that online service fees were the largest driver of growth when it comes to consumer spend, with sales almost doubling to €353 million since 2017. Spend on in-game purchases (including on mobile) rose by 28% to €1.9 billion.

PC has historically been the most popular platform in the country, with 17.4 million active players in 2016 beating the 17.3 million on mobile, 15.8 million on console and 11.5 million on tablet.

However, this changed in 2017 when PC players dipped to 17.3 million while smartphone rose to 18.2 million. And in 2018, the PC took a further hit -- dropping by 3.9 million to 13.4 million. Smartphone, meanwhile, has risen to 18.6 million, firmly establishing itself as the nation's most popular games platform.

More at the link: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-consumers-spent-4-4bn-on-video-games-in-2018

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Germany is the bastion of PC gaming and will never falter.

Seriously though, I'm so appreciative of Germans loving PC games and the many amazing genres that only that platform allows - sims, cRPGs, point n click, etc.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Are they porting bus sims to consoles now?
consoles are getting a lot more simulation games for sure. theres that farming one, city building, and the new flight sim is coming to xbox.

Germany is the bastion of PC gaming and will never falter.

Seriously though, I'm so appreciative of Germans loving PC games and the many amazing genres that only that platform allows - sims, cRPGs, point n click, etc.
those kind of games are coming to console more often now though. last gen there were definitely less simulation games. this gen we've got crpgs like divinity, pillars of eternity, wasteland etc.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The huge drop in 2018 is pretty striking. Anything that could have brought it about? A measurement anomaly? PUBG and Fortnite? I guess only a tenth of the drop is made up in the increase in mobile, though it may be a delayed effect where people played both platforms for some time after going almost exclusively mobile. The death of desktops has long been prophesized and greatly exaggerated, but maybe it's happening?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Is there anywhere where phones AREN'T the most popular platform? Everyone has one and even if you play just one game it counts so it should be the market leader just about everywhere.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
those kind of games are coming to console more often now though. last gen there were definitely less simulation games. this gen we've got crpgs like divinity, pillars of eternity, wasteland etc.

yeah, but they're almost always really hamfisted and totally out of place being played on a controller and they would never exist in that manner on consoles if they werent ported down from PC. Why do you think no one has ever made a Baldurs Gate game or Original Sin game on console only before?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
consoles are getting a lot more simulation games for sure. theres that farming one, city building, and the new flight sim is coming to xbox.

They still sell a whole lot more on PC though.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
God of War PS5 to add farming elements

i mean...he's already a lumberjack. It's just a matter of time.

6396980-god_of_war_walkthrough_gameplay_part_1_intro_god_of_war_4.gif

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe PC gamers got families or just older and prefer the simplicity of console and mobile gaming. Or maybe it is Fortnite. What I know is that PC gaming is less popular among (young) students. They almost exclusively game on mobile or the console that is available in the family. And they play minecraft and fortnite predominantly. Or some mobile stuff I don't recognize.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The 2018 drop is stark. This being a developed economy do we have any reason to believe this trend is mirrored in other European markets, or in the US?

Jan 20, 2019
User banned: (3 days): derail; platform wars over a series of posts in this thread
Maybe PC gamers got families or just older and prefer the simplicity of console and mobile gaming. Or maybe it is Fortnite. What I know is that PC gaming is less popular among (young) students. They almost exclusively game on mobile or the console that is available in the family. And they play minecraft and fortnite predominantly. Or some mobile stuff I don't recognize.

Pc gaming is very expensive, need to speed above 1000$ to play the last games, you can get a console for 200$ that does the exact same thing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So PC drop 3.9M while mobile grew 0.4M... What did those 3.5M other people do? Did they drop out completely or go to dedicated (hybrid) consoles?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am part of the PC gamer decline because I switched to console last year. Nonetheless, interesting stats.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Fine, go to Amazon in find a pc that can run Assasins Creed Odysey for that value, maybe you will get a minimum of 700$ and that is already pushing it. Monitor, Tower, Mouse and a Keyboard.

And them compare to the base ps4 or the xbox one s. Come to your own conclusions.
Do play your console without a tv?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Mobile games are huge. You see all kinds of people play them everywhere here. I think most game developers, or at least the biggest, are mobile game developers too.

Though if those people consider themself "gamers" or even gaming as a hobby is a different question.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I mean if it's for gaming purpose any screen with an hdmi can do the job: so you can use your tv to plug your pc. Problem solved.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Fine, go to Amazon in find a pc that can run Assasins Creed Odysey for that value, maybe you will get a minimum of 700$ and that is already pushing it. Monitor, Tower, Mouse and a Keyboard.

And them compare to the base ps4 or the xbox one s. Come to your own conclusions.
Base Xbox One and PS4... so 720p-1080p at 30fps with dips to the low 20s and medium to low settings.

This 500 dollar rig does everything better and a lot more. No online fee, mods, choose every controller you want.

Use your tv or a monitor for 100. mouse and keyboard is like 15 bucks

Jan 20, 2019
Base Xbox One and PS4... so 720p-1080p at 30fps with dips to the low 20s and medium to low settings.

This 500 dollar rig does everything better and a lot more. No online fee, mods, choose every controller you want.

Use your tv or a monitor for 100. mouse and keyboard is like 15 bucks

thats 3x the price point of a console. Is still cheaper that getting a pc.

That will run better than 20fps low quality xbox one/ps4. Yes!

Good luck with that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My point, is that pc is way more expensive that a console. That is my point.

You get more value from buying a console that you do from a pc in terms of gaming.

Not true.

Over time, PC is cheaper due to cheaper games and no online paywalls.

Also your 1k requirement to play Odyssy is total fabrication. A 500-600 PC could do that easily.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My point, is that pc is way more expensive that a console. That is my point.

You get more value from buying a console that you do from a pc in terms of gaming.

While I won't disagree, I'd say you can get a comparable gaming experience for a similar costing PC to a console with second hand parts or bargain hunting.

New for new, prebuilt vs PC, you're right, but the PC is also so much more than a gaming platform, so you get what you pay for.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

so you can play your console without a TV?

Jan 20, 2019
Not true.

Over time, PC is cheaper due to cheaper games and no online paywalls.

Also your 1k requirement to play Odyssy is total fabrication. A 500-600 PC could do that easily.

Overt time yes, in my opinio the pc is the best value, that is why is my main platform, but the consumer does not see that. It see the upfront value and goes for the cheap option.

While I won't disagree, I'd say you can get a comparable gaming experience for a similar costing PC to a console with second hand parts or bargain hunting.

New for new, prebuilt vs PC, you're right, but the PC is also so much more than a gaming platform, so you get what you pay for.

Yah im talking about new vs new.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

That's subjective as fuuuuck.

You could have just stuck with your original line and been less of an idiot, or just originally stated "console gaming is marginally cheaper" but this is just stupid.

How are you quantifying value? Do I get more value out of my PS4 that I haven't touched for years than my PC that I game on almost very day?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I remember my first desktop PC in 1994 was a 486 - not even high end at that time - and cost a whopping £1,500.00. And no, it didn't have a graphics card. They weren't a thing then.

PC pricing is pretty reasonable these days.

Same old arguments in this thread I've been reading for the last 20 years though.