• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
They read the papers I wrote for Grad School on The Haunting of Hill House and The Turn of the Screw and have run out of ideas. I'll send them my paper on The Castle of Otranto asap. If you're tired of haunted manors and haunted estates, how about a giant suit of haunted armor?

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
The Haunting of Chandler Bing's Apartment
1cf.gif

...That's the core appeal of the series in your mind? The escalation of the type of residence?
do I 'bruh" here or am I about to bite on double sarcasm

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Odd. The formula could be easily applied to other classic horror novels.

I would have loved to see Lovecraft given the Haunting treatment; the tone of a Haunting series would give me something closer to what I was hoping to see from Lovecraft Country. That show is great for what it is, but I'm deep into the first season, and it's more of an adventure show than the stoic horror I was expecting. From the little I read prior to watching, I thought I was in for something more like Jordan Peele's US, but it actually reminds me a lot of Buffy. I was hoping for something with the tone of Cthulhu (2007), which is a deconstruction of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but replacing Lovecraftian racial anxiety with a gay protagonist returning to his homophobic family. That film is amazing, and criminality underrated. People who hear "Lovecraft" and just want tentacles and Stewart Gordon movies hate it, but it's an easy recommendation for Haunting fans, or anyone who enjoys more cerebral horror.

But yeah, I suppose the Haunting creators just want to move on to other things. A real shame. I didn't enjoy Bly Manor as much as Hill House, but I massively appreciated what the writers were doing, and I was excited to see such a grounded show deliver single-season horror with a less bombastic tone than AHS or Slasher.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No reason to pigeon hole themselves. I don't mind. I was disappointed Manor wasn't scary but it was still okay and sort of interesting, dragged a bit though.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the majority of people did not like season 2 but I really enjoyed it and would have loved for the series to continue.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems more like an excuse for Netflix not wanting to make more or even Flanagan not wanting to. Strength of this series has always been the emotional stories around a family of characters. At this point who cares if its scary. Some spooky atmosphere and creepy locations is more than enough to make an entertaining October release. Both seasons were great. Sad to see it go.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Liked season 2 better than 1. Both seasons were flawed in their own ways, but still entertaining.

Too bad if they don't make any more, but it sounds like they're just working on other horror-related shows anyway.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I didn't know that some people disliked S2, I saw some that thought it was inferior to S1 but just that, I enjoyed a lot, I wish they continue it one day, yes, in a fucking castle.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after Bly I'm okay with this. I didn't hate it, but it didn't really do much for me. I'd rather Flanagan and team make new shows and movies that aren't constrained by a single key location.

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
No that'd be silly. I don't need to see the Queen running away from a ghost with like 20 corgis following her.

fake edit: well actually...

but
No that'd be silly. I don't need to see the Queen running away from a ghost with like 20 corgis following her.

fake edit: well actually...

the

the queen doesn't even live in a castle (most of the time).

there's also like

so many castles

so many

and most aren't affiliated with royalty and most aren't even in England

this post confuses me so much

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I loved that s2 was such a narrative departure but it was clear a lot of audience expectations were boxing in the storytelling. The ghosts hiding around was pretty goofy this time. Just tell another supernatural story with a new name and give the writers more wiggleroom. Still, I'm glad they took the huge hype from s1 and told an exceptionally tender love story. It was a good swing.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
S1 was a masterpiece. I've watched it in it's entirety three times.
S2 was a major snooze fest.

it's a shame really but I'd rather just end it here to be honest.

Doctor Sleep is fantastic by the way.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed both seasons, the show felt somewhat different to most of the current horror based shows on TV currently as it was more about the relationships of the people involved then it was about the jump scares and gore. I figured they might continue to adapt other books around the same premise, lord knows there is plenty of material out there for this kind of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone would have done The Navidson Records portion of The House of Leaves justice, it'd been this guy.

Hell, I'd even expect he'd handle translating The House of Leaves as a whole into a series with decent success.

Maybe it could still happen but not part of this series?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I hate to say this, but good. Unless he's going to be as hands-on as he was with Hill House I don't want anymore haunting stuff. The first was some of the best stuff I've ever seen and the second series was a boring turd.

And this is coming from someone starved of good horror content.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hill House was soooooo good. Bly Manor was just boring, barely anything happens for like the first half of the show. I can see why they aren't continuing with it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'd honestly be ok if it didn't continue. I like his movie work a lot better, Hill House had a good story but failed the ending and Bly had a bad story with a fantastic ending. I'd really prefer if he just worked on smaller films instead.