• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My theory is that we're too zoomed in for proper perspective. If we zoom out far enough, we'll see that each galaxy is just a tiny atom of something in a world/space far too big for us to see.
Or not, I don't know!
Zoom out and it's a lifeform itself, and you know that Earth will literally be a tiny part of its sphincter - it would explain so much.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
And the ending quote:

bigthink.com

There are more galaxies in the Universe than even Carl Sagan ever imagined

Forget billions and billions. When it comes to the number of galaxies in the Universe, both theorists' and observers' estimates are too low.

Basically our thoughts on how many galaxies are in the universe were extremely under counted. To learn it isn't hundreds of billions of galaxies, but possibly 20 TRILLION galaxies just in our observable portion of the universe is insane.

Not really all that unbelievable in the slightest. I always found it extremely odd too how in Infinity War/Endgame they gave such a low number, stating Thanos killed
"five trillion". Yeah, OK, if you really believe the universe was that small even with the original proposed size.

Imagine if every galaxy had just a single habitable planet with sentient and advanced life.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting into astronomy lately, the scale of it is just insane. I watched a video where they put our solar system to scale, the Earth was a marble and they had to drive like 7KM to get to neptune or something crazy like that.

That's just a solar system, there's billions of solar systems in a galaxy and there's trillions of galaxies. Even if we achieved light speed we couldn't get anywhere.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Side note:
I just finished a game sesh where I'm nearing the end of Outer Wilds and my god my thoughts and emotions are just in existential mode rn.

Anyone ever slightly interested in astronomy i highly recommend this game.

One does not nullify the other.

i didn't mean to imply that.

The possibilities within one universe are now just unfathomable.

There's probably a Star Wars level galaxy out there right now.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that I'll be alive to witness intelligent alien life being found.

Are you sure about that?
v-movie.jpg

If humanity can't even get along with itself, what do you think will happen when a more advanced species makes contact? Because that's likelier to happen first, than us making first contact with them in our lifetime.

edit: words

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
There are probably just as many Universes out there too. That's not counting multiverses. I believe in the stage 3 Super Ultraverse

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
why no aliens?

dark forest

That's what I was implying. Even if (and that's a big if) we were contacted by a more benevolent species, humanity being what it is would likely fuck it up in some aggressive way and lead us to war. But hey, at least we would be united for once right? If they are malevolent, then we're screwed anyway.

bigthink.com

Dark Forest theory: A terrifying explanation of why we haven’t heard from aliens yet

The Fermi paradox asks us where all the aliens are if the cosmos should be filled with them. The Dark Forest theory says we should pray we never find them.

TL;DR

• All life desires to stay alive.
  • There is no way to know if other lifeforms can or will destroy you if given a chance.
  • Lacking assurances, the safest option for any species is to annihilate other life forms before they have a chance to do the same.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I was implying. Even if (and that's a big if) we were contacted by a more benevolent species, humanity being what it is would likely fuck it up in some aggressive way and lead us to war. But hey, at least we would be united for once right? If they are malevolent, then we're screwed anyway.

bigthink.com

Dark Forest theory: A terrifying explanation of why we haven’t heard from aliens yet

The Fermi paradox asks us where all the aliens are if the cosmos should be filled with them. The Dark Forest theory says we should pray we never find them.

TL;DR

it's either that or just hide

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
why no aliens?

dark forest
Humanity might be the only advanced life in the galaxy or even more. We still don't know what causes nonlife to become life, just some of the conditions that could allow it. Till then, we really don't know the odds of life even existing, forget about getting multicellular life (which seems to have only happened once in the history of Earth).

People talk about the number of stars but if the odds are also very small, it doesn't mean much. Say there are 100 billion planets that are viable for life. If the odds of life forming at all is something like 1 in 1 million and the odds of that life becoming multicellular is 1 in 1 million, then that means there is a 1 in trillion chance of even having a multicellular life. I pulled these numbers out of my ass but my point is until we know the likelihood of these things, it's hard to estimate how many aliens there 'should' be