• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If there is intelligent life outside of this world, I am increasingly convinced that humanity (and this planet) will cease to exist looooooooong before we ever make contact.

I hope that we're not the only intelligent life in the universe and I hope that some of that life can find others. But it's such an unbelievably large amount of space, that I don't know if will ever happen.

Last edited:

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I think at this point perhaps the reason we haven't had formal contact with outside races yet isn't because they're not out there, but because there has been no opportunity to reach us because there are so many other planets, systems and galaxies in existence that we're basically lost within it all.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Space is really big...

20130115_radio_broadcasts.jpg

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
What a thread to fall into, just as adiago for strings started playing . Reminds me of Homeworld. That being written, the news of this is outstanding.

Also even if we could travel at a near light speed, the space in between galaxies are expanding at a faster rate the further they move away from us. Leaving any potential travelers stranded in the absolute darkness of space time.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
That's just unfathomable. There could be advanced species on the other side of the universe dominating multiple galaxies. And we'd never know about it.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
More than that is something he and many others had an inkling of but never knew for sure: there are a fuckton of planets, and even potentially habitable rocky ones in the goldilocks zone (as distinct from planets and moons not in that zone which might be entirely capable of supporting life, like our own Saturn's Enceladus).

The first exoplanet was discovered only a few years before his death. As of now we've discovered over 5,000 and it's estimated that every star has at least one planet orbiting it.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We are also inside something like a light-speed bubble. We can only sense things that were 13.7 billion years away. The universe is much bigger, but we have no idea what is there outside our bubble.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think it's wild that humans could even figure out how big all this is.

Or at least a reasonable estimate base on available data and logic.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
just one galaxy is a completely ridiculous thing to exist.

just imagine all the endless planets and moons here in the Milky Way alone, if you could visit them all, how would you feel..?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I probably phrased it poorly. What I meant is that both billions and trillions are both essentially "unbelievably large numbers" for humans
I agree, numbers like 20 trillion and 20 billion both represent concepts that are staggeringly difficult for the human mind to comprehend.

Wonder if this is a kind of defense mechanism... I think it would be terrifying if we could truly understand how we don't matter lol

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Twenty trillion Galaxies...and each one could be filled with hundreds of billions to trillions of stars with countless more worlds orbiting them. And really, Im just saying words to represent values I literally cannot comprehend.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
There's Gek, Vy'keen and Korvax out there waiting for us.

Just need to upgrade our Warp Engines.

Go farm some plutonium peeps.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Twenty trillion Galaxies...and each one could be filled with hundreds of billions to trillions of stars with countless more worlds orbiting them. And really, Im just saying words to represent values I literally cannot comprehend.

At some point the numbers become stupid.

Just find me some alien squids like in Europa Report before I perish. I'm cool with alien bacteria too.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else just wish we could scream really loud and have aliens find us to meet us? Why won't they visit us :'c ?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I dont care what math says. We are alone in this universe.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Space is really big...

20130115_radio_broadcasts.jpg
This is actually misleading because signals actually loss attenuation the further the receiving end. So the effective range is significantly smaller than even 100 light years. It could go higher but it has to be a focused beam towards a specific location. Basically useless of we want anyone out there to hear it by discovery.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Stuff like this is neat to hear, but it's kinda hard to care too much since we'll never travel to any of those planets (if they're even still there), nor will any of their possible inhabitants make contact with us.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The only logical course of action is to fall on our knees and worship the universe as a God.

Trillions of galaxies means countless intelligent species. What an awe-inspiring thing.

Truly backs up my theories about God, the universe and possible meaning of life.

Dec 15, 2017
That's uncomprehensible in size, like at that point does even matter if the universe is truly infinite or not? Would we even begin to understand the nature of what the universe is and why it allows us to observe it? If a higher power did create it just for us lowly beings than why bother to make it so vast when we would have no hope of exploring all of it? Like i think need a drink lol

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
That's uncomprehensible in size, like at that point does even matter if the universe is truly infinite or not? Would we even begin to understand the nature of what the universe is and why it allows us to observe it? If a higher power did create it just for us lowly beings than why bother to make it so vast when we would have no hope of exploring all of it? Like i think need a drink lol

It's true that at some point the numbers just become like whatever to the human mind. It's going to be hard enough just to get to the next solar system or try to contact one, and that's right next door, a block away.

When you tell me there are trillions of galaxies in the observable universe and then tell me that there may be countless universes, it's cool and all, but it's way too abstract to care about much.

Let's just focus on the good ol' Milky Way.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
universe is so fuckin sick

and yeah chances are theres other folks out there typing the same kind of shit to each other in their own way also talkin about the scope of this space
unfathomable truly. so awesome, in the literal sense of the word

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If there is intelligent life outside of this world, I am increasingly convinced that humanity (and this planet) will cease to exist looooooooong before we ever make contact.

I hope that we're not the only intelligent life in the universe and I hope that some of that life can find others. But it's such an unbelievably large amount of space, that I don't know if will ever happen.

It's entirely possible that's already happened! In fact, it's entirely possible that some distant alien race(s) has discovered a way to travel vast distances in a reasonable amount of time and only hasn't found us because of just how vast space is.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a PBS Spacetime video that talked about the dangers of interstellar travel. Extreme radiation, cosmic rays, micro meteoroids that would annihilate anything moving at significant speed.

It suggests that the solution to the Fermi paradox is that everyone stays home.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a PBS Spacetime video that talked about the dangers of interstellar travel. Extreme radiation, cosmic rays, micro meteoroids that would annihilate anything moving at significant speed.

It suggests that the solution to the Fermi paradox is that everyone stays home.
If it's their last video, it says at the end that's it's difficult but doable to overcome the hazards though.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

In a practical sense, it doesn't really matter if the universe was only the milky way, let alone any larger, no life on Earth is ever making it outside the solar system, let alone further.