• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. (Couldn't even begin to tell you how much I geeked out getting the USA Today paper 5 years ago. It was one of the very few things I wanted from that movie, along with a working Hoverboard. COME ON MATTEL, YOU COWARDS! MAKE IT! I didn't live the past 30 years of my life waiting for one!)

The ending of 2 still gets me hyped like no other. WHEW.

What a good series.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I put original Jurassic Park on my top list too. The movie was so ahead of its time and is still holding up well today.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
811f45e965d728698ea87967547f471d3eb5b01a_hq.gif

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
I recently bought the 4K release of the BTTF trilogy, currently watching the first one. This movie holds up better than most movies... ever. It's perfect. This series was so important to me growing up. I remember the DVD trilogy was one of the first things I ever bought with my own money from doing chores.

I don't have anything clever to say, I just love these movies and they always make me feel better when everything sucks. I guess this is a BTTF appreciation thread.

It's like you're reading my mind OP. I too bought the 4K set and watched the first one last night and I said to my wife BTTF is such a perfect movie.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just did a trilogy rewatch. I love them all, and the first one is still definitely one of the most entertaining movies of all time. I recommend Blank Check's recent episodes on the trilogy for a fun dissection of the series:

podcasts.apple.com

‎Blank Check with Griffin & David: Back to the Future on Apple Podcasts

‎Show Blank Check with Griffin & David, Ep Back to the Future - 26 Sep 2020

i dont know anything about apple podcasts, but heres a different link with a direct download option

https://podbay.fm/p/blank-check-with-griffin-and-david/e/1601183048

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've always enjoyed the DVD/Blu-Ray documentaries where Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale talked about how they problem-solved the story beats of the movie.

Something that always stood out to me was when they used an index card-method of plotting, where they had a huge bulletin board in their office and would say "Marty goes back in time" , an index card would go up with that beat written down, then they would write another card where it says "Marty goes back to the future" as a follow up story beat. They would continue with this process as they draft the first screenplay, and with some ideas such as Marty inventing skateboarding came from that brainstorm session where they realize that Marty needs to know how to ride a skateboard. So they made a new card that establishes"Marty is good on a skateboard" and it proceeds with "Marty invents the skateboard".

Wouldn't I give to have a day to talk with these two about their thought process of writing screenplays, as it would be a fun excercise.

Oct 25, 2017
Also-one of the greatest movie scores of all time. Just hearing clips from it invokes such an emotional response from me. Any of them!

I love when Marty decides to write the letter to Doc in the diner to warn him about what Will happen in 1985.

I had this as my text message alerts for a loooong time

The soundtrack is amazing

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
BTTF is like The Matrix. Had it not been a trilogy, it would have been undeniably perfect. But because it is part of a trilogy, it comes with a bunch of flaws.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
it's such a great movie that the sequels kind of dumb down a bit. Always felt it is more than capable of standing on it's own.

I liken it to the Indiana Jones trilogy—where the first film is a stone-cold masterpiece that stands on its own, with sequels that are fun in their own right to varying degrees, but go in wacky directions and retread the same beats to diminishing returns. In both cases I'll rewatch the first film any time, whereas I'd pretty much never feel much urge to revisit the subsequent movies.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
You are not wrong, easily my most watched movie ever, and definitely mong the best out there. Not only the best movie, but the whole trilogy is the best trilogy of movies out there.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I just got finished rewatching the trilogy, and Doc was talking about how Jennifer and Einstein would be fine after they changed the past in 1955, and I'm like "No, that's not how it works. They're gone, stuck in 1985A forever."

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Michael J Fox is so good in this. I was reading an interesting take suggesting that part of the reason was the behind-the-scenes drama where Eric Stoltz was Marty for about a month before they recast the role and started over. This created a situation where every other actor in the movie had been working on it for a month and knew the characters and set environment inside and out, while Michael was a fish-out-of-water... exactly like Marty.

I mean, there's also the fact that he's a really good actor.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Back to the Future is like Freddy Mercury to me. They're both great, but I wish the internet would shut the fuck up about them for a few years.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Dude I've been actively on a campaign with friends and family the last few years to show them how and why it's perfect, and by the end of every screening with one of them, they always understand.

The sequence from George punching Biff, through to the almost missed kissing on the dance floor and earth angel swelling in, to Johnny b Goode and the ending race against time trying to get back to 1985 is PERFECTION.

I feel like I could teach a class on this movie. Not even just in the screenwriting, but the music, themes, emotion, editing. Everything.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
BTTF is my favourite trilogy.

I also have the 4K steelbook set but I can't watch it until the 10th because I traded in my xbox one for the new generation.. it is absolute torture.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I remember downloading the original script (decades ago?) with the nuked fridge and the secret time travel ingredient being coca cola. The script is cracked out and completely insane. I guess 80s cocaine could get that kind flick made

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the 4k version last night as well, it does hold up rather well. There are no wasted moments and everything ties in very well.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like the 35th anniversary isn't this year and a fully remastered 4k version came out this week.

Don't get me wrong, my complaint is more about the internet in general than any individual thread or comment. Everything just gets run into the ground. Even things I genuinely think are great. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick three "perfect" films

-Pulp Fiction
-Shawshank Redemption
-Up

Back to the Future is a great film. I don't love the sequels as much as others do, especially 3. That one got a little weird at the end.