• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Don't talk shit about The Last Laugh and The Mechanic. Loved those episodes as a kid.

Last Laugh gave us - "You killed Captain Clown... YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN!!!"

The Mechanic was just so awesome to see some history and lore of this Batman. Seeing the first Batmobile was awesome and knowing that Bruce still needs help in developing his tools was good world building. I remember waiting every weekday during one summer to show my older cousin that episode who was watching me at the time.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah, not sure how a "crew" in this context could be misconstrued as anything other than the people who worked on the show. Y'all just tryin' to be facetious.

Cause the Crew could also be some group that reviews things or does a youtube channel. And honestly, his post didn't have enough context to decide whether it was the people working on the episodes or some review site. So all we had was the words and no real context to decide which he was talking about.

I mean I'm oldish and I know I'm not all in touch with what is popular today so I didn't know if I just didn't know who "The Crew" was and it was some popular youtube/review site I just wasn't aware of. Is it really that hard to write, "The crew who worked on the show"? It's just a few more words and clarifies much better.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Laugh is also the episode that gives us that bloody brilliant shot of The Joker on the conveyor belt.

giphy.gif

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I want to say The Underdwellers had to be altered pretty significantly to get the green light from BS&P. And yeah a ton of the dialogue, editing, and pretty much everything else is crummy.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was on one of Kevin Smith's podcasts years ago, but I remember Mark Hamill taking about how much he hated the Harley and Ivy episode. He didn't like how the Joker was portrayed as a cuckolded husband (his words not mine).

It's especially interesting because Harley X Ivy is still a very popular pairing, and I from what I understand, The Joker is portrayed in a similar manner in the Harley Quinn animated show.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not sure how a "crew" in this context could be misconstrued as anything other than the people who worked on the show. Y'all just tryin' to be facetious.
When I first read the thread title I assumed "the crew" was some sort of collective of comic discussing nerds who have a youtube channel or some shit.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
no where
where not being facetious

many people including me had no idea what Op was talking about.

I was able to figure it out on my own before reading responses But it was not obvious and the fact that many where confused prove it was not obvious.

I understood does not equal Obvious.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I mean the stuff, come on it's pretty obvious what I meant
Like go to tv tropes and trivia on episodes recap and quite a bit of them have creator backlash
I thought you were refuring to your Crew as in your friebds not liking episodes when watching together.

The response proves It was not obvious what crew meant.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this clown shoes shit.

How about you give us the examples of why they didn't like those episodes.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
You all need to chill these replies,
and examples:

• "I've Got Batman In My Basement," which named the relevant trope, is regarded by the production team as one of the worst episodes in the series.
    "I think that if we hadn't gotten Alan Burnett to come over, we would have had a lot more shows like this one," noted director Frank Paur of the producer who stepped in to take control of the show's script process first season. Paur also disliked arming Batman with a screwdriver, but had his hands full wrestling with an as yet unsatisfying storyboard crew. "I had to get rid of most of these boards and start from scratch," he said. "It was very time-consuming. Our schedule was so tight, that small things got by." Noted producer Bruce Timm, "I can't even watch that show. It's the epitome of what we don't want to do with Batman. Strangely enough kids like it. The script came in and it was terrible. Normally, I tell the director to do what he can to make it interesting, and nobody could figure out a way to make it interesting. The storyboard artists didn't care, and it shows."
  • While the episode was based on a good story from the comics and having decent animation, "The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy" was considered a misfire, namely for its lackluster gimmick villain, and Batman having no real motive to play mind games with him.
    "I tried to kill this show, but they didn't let me," said director Frank Paur. "We had a lot of storyboard artists who wanted to rebel on this one. The best metaphor is kicking a dead horse. It arrived dead and no matter how hard you kick it, it ain't going to give you a ride."
  • "The Underdwellers" was likewise considered a dud, namely for censorship problems, bad story elements and very Off-Modelanimation.
    "It was my first episode as director, and there are still things in it that I cringe at," said director Frank Paur. "Usually when we get an episode, we get to use a lot of discretion and change things. I wish I had been able to spend more time on that script. Another problem at the time, was that we had storyboard people who made things difficult. I found myself going back two or three times to fix scenes. They didn't quite understand we were shooting for a higher standard. So there was always a constant drain on my time. That whole opening sequence of the kids playing chicken with the train should have been cut. That was what we had to contend with at the beginning of the season. We had these little public service announcements worked into the scripts, a concept we nixed real quick." "It's Junio's weakest episode," said producer Bruce Timm. "We almost didn't use them after that. It was the first one that came back that really looked totally unlike our show. It was very Japanese. But I'm glad we did use them again, they've done great work. BS&P took a lot out of this show. Originally, the kids were to be victimized by the Sewer-King, but he was not allowed to be mean or tortorous to any of them. The impact is watered down. If we were doing it today, we probably would have decided not to do the show."
  • "Lock-Up" was also considered a failure, due to its awful script, blatant plot holes and bloopers (Batman changing into his costume out in the open, not letting us figure out how he escaped), and slow, aimless scenes.
  • "Prophecy of Doom" was already considered a very average episode, but its criticism was mainly singled out for its terrible animation by AKOM.
    "If that whole end sequence with the spinning worlds in the observatory had gone to Junio or any other studio, it might have come off, but it went to AKOM," said Bruce Timm. "They just weren't able to pull off that level of animation." "That broke my heart," said director Frank Paur. "I designed those planets using a circle template. How hard is it to animate circles? It was done by hand, and if we had done it now, it would have been done on computer and would have looked spectacular. When I knew the show was going to AKOM, a studio I'd had a long history with, I knew they weren't going to be able to pull it off. Admittedly, it was a tough sequence, but they should have been able to do it."
  • While not considered a "bad" episode, Bruce Timm was not satisfied with the episode "What Is Reality?", although he ironically complimented AKOM's work on it.
    "Virtual reality is too science fictiony for our show. While it may be conceivable that it will work in four or five years, Batman transforming himself into a black knight and flying around on a chessboard is unfathomable to me. Strangely enough, it's one of AKOM's better shows. They pulled off all the special effects really well."
  • "The Mechanic" was also considered dissatisfying, save for some nice action and some of AKOM's better animation.
    "This was one of those stories in development hell for a long time," said producer Bruce Timm. "We needed scripts. I think it's a stinker, but it has some of AKOM's better animation in it." Noted director Kevin Altieri, "It was the first show that AKOM laid out itself. It's not as good as their "The Last Laugh", but had far fewer retakes (almost 80% of "The Last Laugh" needed retakes.) I think they were threatened that they might lose the work, so they put their A-Team on it. It actually is a script that is similar to the '60s series, but when you do do something like this comedy, you must remember that even though the script may be goofy, you have to show that the characters are living it. When Earl drops the tires on Penguin's henchmen, he thinks Batman's dead and he's crying."
  • "Nothing to Fear", despite having some of the series' best moments and nice animation work by Dong Yang (whose only glitch was straightening the Scarecrow's crooked posture), was considered to have bad pacing, a cliche way of beating Scarecrow, and an all around mediocre script.
    "It was written by Henry Gilroy, who had never written cartoons before," said producer Bruce Timm. "He was a film editor here and always wanted to get into writing. At the time we didn't have a story editor, so we gave it a go. When he turned in his first draft, which wasn't bad, we had hired our first story editor, Sean Derek. We immediately came to loggerheads over this show. Some of the dialogue she changed wasn't changed for the better."
  • "The Forgotten" was another misfire, mainly for being a message show put forth by the original story editors.
    "I didn't want to do this show from the very beginning," said producer Bruce Timm. "Sean Derek was big on doing shows with social messages. And my big problem with message shows, is that you can't solve the world's problems in a half hour cartoon. If you raise the issue of homelessness, what can you do? It makes the episode look very exploitive, because you're just using the problem as an exotic background. You can't discuss the problem on any meaningful level in a 22-minute action cartoon. So I put in the dream sequence with Bruce in the barracks where these multitudes of people are looking to Bruce for a handout, and he doesn't have enough money for them all, and they're surrounding him and suffocating him. It's not enough for him to put a band-aid on the problem at the end, by offering the two guys a job. It just doesn't work." BS&P undercut the script's essential message, as director Boyd Kirkland explained: "There was a sequence at the beginning where Batman is wandering around the city, trying to find out why people were disappearing. It was staged with homeless people hanging around on sidewalks: families, mothers and kids. They made us take all that out of the boards. They said it was too much for kids to see that maybe a woman or a family can be out on the streets. They specifically asked that we only show men as homeless."
  • "The Cat and the Claw: Part 2" was considered a dud, namely for its many plot holes, a lame villain and downright abysmal animation by AKOM.
    "The whole end sequence was geared around the explosions, and they were some of the worst you'll ever see," said producer Bruce Timm. "We retook all of them two or three times. They were still awful, but we ran out of time and had to air them."

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Its funny to think George Lucas might have been going "Oh god, I'm fucked. This movie is a piece of shit! My career is ruined!" during the filming of Star Wars.

From what I remember reading about the films, he was a piece of shit to himself. He was so determined to finish it that he fell into a depression and had to be admitted to the hospital.

You all need to chill these replies,

I mean, this wouldn't be a problem if you can only be a little more thoughtful in presenting your thoughts. I understand that you're just trying to keep yourself busy and sane during this pandemic and we're all doing our best to engage you, but dialogue is a two-way street.

Like, the examples are hard to read. You could have at least spaced out each bullet point or trimmed portions so we can immediately get to the interesting parts but instead you copypasted and called it a day.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is that Batman the Animated Series is an episodic cartoon with a ton of episodes, long answer is that Batman the Animated Series has a very specific tone that rarely changed, so you rarely had episodes with a ton of humor which makes this completely out of place.
I wonder if the humor at the end of the clip had a purpose. It seems like the kind of lightheartedness and humor one would add to the end of an otherwise serious situation to deliberately water it down, much like how James Bond movies adopted the idea of witty one liners and jokes whenever a bad guy dies to make the scene seem less violent than it actually is so that a wider audience can enjoy the movies. I'm guessing they could have thought that the idea of criminals invading a home with defenseless children might've been considered too scary and realistic so humor was added to counter act its impact.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely some stinkers mentioned.

i think a lot of the disappointment comes from the failure to execute on the level they were aspiring to due to the nature of working in that industry at the time
The thing with BTAS is that even at its worst, it's still better than most anything else being made at the time.
The worst Batman TAS is better than the best X-Men and Spider-Man episodes

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely some stinkers mentioned.

i think a lot of the disappointment comes from the failure to execute on the level they were aspiring to due to the nature of working in that industry at the time

The worst Batman TAS is better than the best X-Men and Spider-Man episodes

I don't know man. I remember that 5 parter Phoenix episode of the animated X-Men show. It was pure fire. I remember running home from school to watch it.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Cause the Crew could also be some group that reviews things or does a youtube channel. And honestly, his post didn't have enough context to decide whether it was the people working on the episodes or some review site. So all we had was the words and no real context to decide which he was talking about.

I mean I'm oldish and I know I'm not all in touch with what is popular today so I didn't know if I just didn't know who "The Crew" was and it was some popular youtube/review site I just wasn't aware of. Is it really that hard to write, "The crew who worked on the show"? It's just a few more words and clarifies much better.

I just assumed he was referring to So Solid Crew

A-15556-1394561909-5533.jpeg.jpg

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Vergil didn't like the Aeneid and wanted it to be destroyed after his death. Some people NEVER like what they worked on, even if they are masterpieces.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I know they hated "The Forgotten" because it was a mishandled attempt at tackling homelessness due to editor meddling, as it implied Batman alone could fix it by just giving homeless people he knew jobs.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's over 100 episodes of the series made.

There are bound to be ones that fans and creators dislike.

That doesn't seem strange at all.