• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Seriously, the entire Park running was dependent on ONE guy?

Nedry openly says he was asked to design a system to manage the park with the least possible amount of employees, and he did it. He automated pretty much everything he could with 90s tech and the system easily fell apart at the first stress test.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Combining these two, one thing that annoyed me even at a young age watching this and enjoying dinosaurs on the rampage was just how poorly designed the whole park had to be for him turning off some of the power to result in all the death and chaos. In the end dinosaurs are just animals, with animal needs. You shouldn't even need an electric fence to contain them. We've been keeping large and dangerous in captivity for centuries (admittedly no predators as big as a T-Rex or some of the other herbivores) and people getting killed usually comes down to human stupidity rather than containment failure.

Of course in the end it's a movie, so those massive fences needed to be made of balsa wood and the island cleared of all but a few people to have an excuse for the thrill ride, but I think the real life Jurassic Park would probably have a pretty easy time having a clean safety record.

Yeah. I haven't been to many zoos besides Animal Kingdom at Disney in the past decade or so, but there one tiger enclosure has functionally no tall grass at all to force them out. The other one has it and you never see them. The cheetah enclosure has tall grass and they're never viewable. I think the lion area is specifically designed so there's literally nowhere for them to hide.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Nedry openly says he was asked to design a system to manage the park with the least possible amount of employees, and he did it. He automated pretty much everything he could with 90s tech and the system easily fell apart at the first stress test.

No, Nedry rigged it to fall apart at his command. He only meant to be away from his desk for literally about 10 minutes, though, and his intention was to slip back in and bring it all back to normal.

"He went back into the hallway. The theft had taken less than two minutes. He could imagine the consternation upstairs in the control room, as they began to realize what had happened. All their security codes were scrambled, and all their phone lines were jammed. Without his help, it would take hours to untangle the mess—but in just a few minutes Nedry would be back in the control room, setting things right. And no one would ever suspect what he had done."

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
To my recollection, they tracked animals by height. The graph says there are Y animals of X height, from which they'd deduce 20 velociraptors at 33 and 34 cm, for instance. I think they didn't realize animals were breeding because some of the smaller ones that had escaped were in the same height as some of the broodlings. Basically, a really shitty tracking system.

The computer system would only count up to the number of expected dinosaurs. So if they thought there was 20 raptors in cages, they would say everything is fine if they counted 20 even if there were more. Once they raised the count limit, they discovered how many more were bred in the wild.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nedry was the catalyst that led to the system collapsing, but the book was quite direct in implying that the system was doomed to fail regardless.

There's also a lingering sentiment that the whole endeavor might not have been doomed. Hammond's death scene is fairly effective in this regard. His legs are broken, he's desperately trying to stay alive, and in his death throes he's cursing everything that went wrong, but also mentally deciding how he'll do it again but this time do it better. Hire better people, make sure all the problems that plagued Jurassic Park are fixed, etc.

Ultimately his thoughts are the ramblings of a dying narcissistic billionaire who blames everyone but himself, but the sentiment is there. This could have worked. If the powers that be respected what they were creating, if they did their due diligence, if they showed proper humility and care, it didn't have to end this way. Of course, it was too late for that. People died, the dinosaurs escaped the island, and the mastermind Hammond was eaten by Compys.

Dec 26, 2017
Regarding Nedry, Hammond definitely screwed him.

"And partly it was insurance for the future. Nedry was annoyed with the Jurassic Park project; late in the schedule, InGen had demanded extensive modifications to the system but hadn't been willing to pay for them, arguing they should be included under the original contract. Lawsuits were threatened; letters were written to Nedry's other clients, implying that Nedry was unreliable. It was blackmail, and in the end Nedry had been forced to eat his overages on Jurassic Park and to make the changes that Hammond wanted. But later, when he was approached by Lewis Dodgson at Biosyn, Nedry was ready to listen. And able to say that he could indeed get past Jurassic Park security. He could get into any room, any system, anywhere in the park. Because he had programmed it that way. Just in case."
The movie also has a great nod toward all this near the beginning, when Nedry is finishing his meal while discussing the plan and the waiter brings the check: "Don't get cheap on me, Dodgson."

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, Nedry rigged it to fall apart at his command. He only meant to be away from his desk for literally about 10 minutes, though, and his intention was to slip back in and bring it all back to normal.

"He went back into the hallway. The theft had taken less than two minutes. He could imagine the consternation upstairs in the control room, as they began to realize what had happened. All their security codes were scrambled, and all their phone lines were jammed. Without his help, it would take hours to untangle the mess—but in just a few minutes Nedry would be back in the control room, setting things right. And no one would ever suspect what he had done."
Yes but I think in the film, it's implied he was leaving everyone there to die.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hammond talked about how "he spared no expense." But yet Nedry betrays him because of his low pay. (Nowadays people might be on Nedry's side more. From what I understand, in the book, Hammond is a lot less sympathetic)

Nevermind the way he snaps at Nedry who, despite being a bit of a prick, was right about how much was loaded on him.

Seriously, the entire Park running was dependent on ONE guy?

Nedry was doing the work of an entire team for peanuts, and without him there the park totally collapsed

If I recall correctly. In the books, Nedry is more of a Dev Team Director. He has a whole team of developers on the main land. He regularly uses a dial up connection to pass code back and forth to them. It's not all him, he's just the guy on site implementing the changes.

Second, I want to say Nedry had a huge gambling problem, or something that got him in over his head that turned him more greedy than normal. And him needing money and being something of a valuable resource gave him an opportunity to exploit Hammond. I want to say Hammon entertained it briefly, but the bills kept piling on and Nedry showed no sign of stopping.

In the movies, there is one throwaway line that I think Hammond or Arnold says to Nedry about Nedry's team, so it's implied he isn't doing everything on Jurassic park solo.

That said, yes, Hammond's "Spared no expense" is still bullshit. But Nedry is a bit more complex of a character, and I actually kind of like that backstory to him.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
To my recollection, they tracked animals by height. The graph says there are Y animals of X height, from which they'd deduce 20 velociraptors at 33 and 34 cm, for instance. I think they didn't realize animals were breeding because some of the smaller ones that had escaped were in the same height as some of the broodlings. Basically, a really shitty tracking system.

So thats the size of Compys graph

That is when Malcolm is explaining that there are no "bumps" in that graph to show more introductions of Compys. Its a natural curve, implying there has been breeding taking place on the island, unbeknownst to anyone yet

Thank you, both.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
The book had some similarly good hints.

Like relatively early on Malcolm is asking about how they keep track of the dinosaurs and Arnold is bragging about all the different kinds of ways the computer tracks and measures them, produces this graph:

Jurassic-Park1.jpg
edit:

am dumb

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's very typical Hollywood to try and make the (evil) old white capitalist more sympathetic. "No, you see, he actually loves his grandkids dearly and he's a charming people person who wants the park available to everyone and see the flea circus of his youth come true, and he wants to believe the best in people and blablabla".

And of course the bald, scrawny lawyer and fat computer hacker are the bad ones.

Last edited:

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
To keep the dinosaurs from breeding they are all made female, but when Grant is given two female seat belts, he wraps them around him "Life finds a way."

Or how Grant, Saddler and Malcolm are easily able to break out of the tour so they can done and see the lab.

Hammond talked about how "he spared no expense." But yet Nedry betrays him because of his low pay. (Nowadays people might be on Nedry's side more. From what I understand, in the book, Hammond is a lot less sympathetic)

What a delicately crafted movie.
The movies make Hammond out to be someone who just wants to bring amazing experiences and scientific discoveries to the public. In the books, he's specifically doing it all for money.

"And, you remember our original intent was to use the emerging technology of genetic engineering to make money. A lot of money."

"From a business standpoint, that makes helping mankind a very risky business. Personally, I would never help mankind."

That last quote is about curing cancer. The dude was evil.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's more overt in the book, but one of the other major themes that's explored in the story is the onset of industrial automation and what that means for our society. To correct your post, the entire park running was supposed to be dependent on no one, as its entire design philosophy was to be a completely self-sufficient closed system that would operate entirely by computer. Which just plays into the larger themes of trying to control nature and all the ways such an endeavor can fail.

That's really cool, I haven't read the book since high school. Jurassic World should have leaned into that idea more, it would have been a smarter way of updating the premise.

Kgamer

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they have spade the dinos as well after learning where the reproductive organs are?
As I recall, they irradiated all the dinosaurs' reproductive organs to make sure they were sterile, but they didn't know exactly where the organs were (presumably because it was too expensive to dissect and fully study the life cycle of every single species they had) or what the radiation dosage needed to be so it failed.
The whole operation is them flying by the seat of their pants. Moving forward without fully understanding what they're doing.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Imagine being the family or friend of someone who died because of Nedry and actually thinking he's sympathetic because he wanted more money or didn't intend for the disaster. We also don't even know if it's true! We briefly hear his perspective, literally while he's talking to his partner in a criminal conspiracy. He is not reliable at all.

At least in the movie.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Combining these two, one thing that annoyed me even at a young age watching this and enjoying dinosaurs on the rampage was just how poorly designed the whole park had to be for him turning off some of the power to result in all the death and chaos. In the end dinosaurs are just animals, with animal needs. You shouldn't even need an electric fence to contain them. We've been keeping large and dangerous in captivity for centuries (admittedly no predators as big as a T-Rex or some of the other herbivores) and people getting killed usually comes down to human stupidity rather than containment failure.

Of course in the end it's a movie, so those massive fences needed to be made of balsa wood and the island cleared of all but a few people to have an excuse for the thrill ride, but I think the real life Jurassic Park would probably have a pretty easy time having a clean safety record.
To be fair, there weren't wide scale escapes in the movie. Just the Rex, which had been lured to the fence with a goat and then investigated the tour cars and the raptors who were said to be constantly testing the fences.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Would you mind explaining how this is a hint? I've not read the book in many years and I'm not getting the meaning.
The curve there is a normal distribution. (In statistics, that's not just a description, it's the literal name of the curve).

It's called that because if you examine a population based on many common attributes, you'll end up with a curve like that. In the example in the book, it's a height chart for compys, so their average height is around 33cm and the further you move away from that in either direction the few individuals you get. Most compys are average height or close to it, some are a bit smaller or taller, and a very few are on the fringes. You'd get the same kind of curve for humans.

Why this is a hint is that Jurassic Park isn't normal - its dinosaur populations are meant to be strictly controlled and only boosted artificially through the creation of batches of cloned animals. The graph should be staggered. Later in the book Malcolm gives his impression of what the graph should have looked like:

Jurassic-Park.jpg

My original post left things a bit more subtle than the book. One of Crichton's more difficult attributes as a writer is his need to explain things to the reader, so instead of just dropping the clue and allowing it to be paid off fully later, he goes most of the way towards connecting the dots himself. So he spends the best part of a page after the graph eluding to the fact that the dinosaurs are breeding, but not outright stating it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
To keep the dinosaurs from breeding they are all made female, but when Grant is given two female seat belts, he wraps them around him

This one blew me away when I first got it. It'd been staring me in the face for two decades.

Also:

I'm pretty sure all of this goes back to Westworld, which was basically Crichton's proto-Jurassic Park, but I think there was also an early problem that takes place on the plane to the park in the 70s movie?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its literally all plot bollocks to have big dinos run around. I woudln't mind but Malcolm is such a jerk about being right.

No way they'd change sex that quickly, I doubt they'd break the fences that quickly, life *doesn't* find a way and a park full of dinosaurs is barely any more dangerous than a zoo.

…and breath...

(I do love the movie)

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
The curve there is a normal distribution. (In statistics, that's not just a description, it's the literal name of the curve).

It's called that because if you examine a population based on many common attributes, you'll end up with a curve like that. In the example in the book, it's a height chart for compys, so their average height is around 33cm and the further you move away from that in either direction the few individuals you get. Most compys are average height or close to it, some are a bit smaller or taller, and a very few are on the fringes. You'd get the same kind of curve for humans.

Why this is a hint is that Jurassic Park isn't normal - its dinosaur populations are meant to be strictly controlled and only boosted artificially through the creation of batches of cloned animals. The graph should be staggered. Later in the book Malcolm gives his impression of what the graph should have looked like:

Jurassic-Park.jpg

My original post left things a bit more subtle than the book. One of Crichton's more difficult attributes as a writer is his need to explain things to the reader, so instead of just dropping the clue and allowing it to be paid off fully later, he goes most of the way towards connecting the dots himself. So he spends the best part of a page after the graph eluding to the fact that the dinosaurs are breeding, but not outright stating it.

Thanks. I found the excerpt in question which helpfully contextualises the Gaussian distribution as being representative of a "healthy biological population":

DtH6j56XQAAvOH2.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nedry was the catalyst that led to the system collapsing, but the book was quite direct in implying that the system was doomed to fail regardless.

There's also a lingering sentiment that the whole endeavor might not have been doomed. Hammond's death scene is fairly effective in this regard. His legs are broken, he's desperately trying to stay alive, and in his death throes he's cursing everything that went wrong, but also mentally deciding how he'll do it again but this time do it better. Hire better people, make sure all the problems that plagued Jurassic Park are fixed, etc.

Ultimately his thoughts are the ramblings of a dying narcissistic billionaire who blames everyone but himself, but the sentiment is there. This could have worked. If the powers that be respected what they were creating, if they did their due diligence, if they showed proper humility and care, it didn't have to end this way. Of course, it was too late for that. People died, the dinosaurs escaped the island, and the mastermind Hammond was eaten by Compys.

because its all predicated on the trendy science of the time that was chaos theory. It makes for a nice rompy book but still mostly nonsense.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit to being a stupid kid when I first saw the movie. I thought they'd just visit the island and everything would be fine.
I would unironically love a movie like this. A movie set in a dinosaur park where the park itself was fine and something else was the driver of the plot - a couple having relationship problems, a drug deal going down, wacky stoner hijinks...

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I liked the book, but Malcolm was seriously getting on my nerves as he rans through all those rants in his morphine delusions.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The novel is just an absolute masterpiece, it's so clever with how it all comes together. And the movie is nearly as good which is a massive accomplishment honestly

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Best part of the book is that the lawyer ends up being a bad ass.

Film Muldoon and Gennaro die in cartoony ways that are memed to this day.

In the book they go on a fucking road trip with a tranq rocket launcher to take down the T-Rex and nearly get into a scuffle with it before bringing it down. They took down a fucking T-REX with a rocket launcher in a moving Jeep.

Then Doom their way through a foggy night battle with raptors in a construction zone.

And both survive the book.

(only to die cartoonishly in the backstory of the second book)

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yea the book is great in a lot of ways, better than the movie in some respects. The introduction and ending of the book are much better imo. But the movie has one major benefit and that is you actually get to see the dinos visualized and it is glorious.

Corporate Central America to be more precise. Isla Nublar is a Costa Rican island.
I don't think I'd call it Corporate Central America. It's a Costa Rican island but it's all North American whiteys doing the hubris, if I'm not mistaken.