• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Great J-RPG gen for me with 5 really amazing games (like top 20 GOAT) in my opinion :
- Octopath Traveler
- Persona 5
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- SteamWorld Quest : Hand of Gilgamech
- CrossCode

I still have to play YS VIII and DQ11 but I'm pretty confident I won't like them as much as the previous five.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CrossCode is the only good jRPG released this gen, fight me.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Also am I reading this right...people complaining about this gen of JRPGs being "Saturday Morning Anime" weebo stuff...that was LITERALLY every JRPG in the 90s/2000s lol...and that's the other problem, you can say you prefer the games, but it's false to say that stories now are really better or worse. It's literally all the same tropes and anime stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
It's been like five generations where the huge great RPG's that become legendary either release in the final year of the generation or even after the next one begins. Like, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were out at the same time as the PS1. Some of the best PS1 RPG:s released in 2000 or 2001. PS2 got FF12, Suikoden V and Persona 4 when PS3 was already out.

Will people ever learn?

People from 2025 who are looking back on this thread: stop whining that PS5 isn't getting any great RPG:s like the PS4.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the confusion? JRPG means an RPG made in Japan. It's a fairly diverse bunch of games that generally share some characteristics in different areas but not having one specific thing doesn't make something a non-JRPG. Generally they differ from western RPGs in that there's often not a whole lot freedom when it comes to choices & consequences in the story, but you take control of a set of characters who go through a set story. Gameplay-wise JRPGs are often either turn-based in the FF/DQ school of turn-based where you don't have much control over the positioning of your characters or 3rd person action RPGs that rely on more or less tight timing and are often quite flashy & fast-paced (Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Soulsbornes). Western RPGs lean more into the whole tactical, isometric turn-based/RTWP combat where positioning is as important as what actions you take, or immersive first person RPGs like Elder Scrolls.

Nier Automata is clearly an action (J)RPG with character customization with all the equipment, stat & skill chips & drone selection to go with it, leveling up/grinding, item management, questing (with limited choices) & such. Bloodborne is an action JRPG as well, though I'd say more of a dungeon crawler kind that the typical story heavy one. You have a lot of freedom over what kind of character to create (equipment, what stats to improve etc.). It's more horror-themed/mature in its presentation but JRPGs aren't defined by their visual style (and Soulsbornes are still VERY Japanese in that regards, with clear inspiration from Japanese mythology and more mature manga like Berserk). Loli big eye pedo bait animu games aren't the only games that can be classified as JRPGs.
But it doesn't. That's just a worthless descriptor. A JRPG is a certain type of RPG that was predominately coming out of Japan back in the 90s and early 2000s. Not a wholesale any rpg made in Japan.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
JRPG I played during the last 4 months :

- FFXII : TZA
- DQB2
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- DQXIS

All are great.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think this gen has some good jrpg stories. Some of you are tough critics
I think it just really depends on what you want? I don't necessarily mind a cheesy shounen romp on occasion but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for when I think of "good story", and that's what a lot of the JRPG's that get released now are like. And I mean to some extent I think that's always been the case with JRPG's, some moreso than others, I'll be the first to say that, but in the past I feel it was at least somewhat easier to find exceptions like Yasumi Matsuno's games. Hopefully that doesn't make me sound like "old man yelling at cloud" too much because I'm not trying to come off that way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it just really depends on what you want? I don't necessarily mind a cheesy shounen romp on occasion but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for when I think of "good story", and that's what a lot of the JRPG's that get released now are like. And I mean to some extent I think that's always been the case with JRPG's, some moreso than others, I'll be the first to say that, but in the past I feel it was at least somewhat easier to find exceptions like Yasumi Matsuno's games. Hopefully that doesn't make me sound like "old man yelling at cloud" too much because I'm not trying to come off that way.

Yup. Matsuno games, Suikoden, SMT3, etc - there were simply more outliers from the standard shonen norm in the past, or at least they were more visible and not only shunted off to handhelds.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I don't much care about stories in games unless it actively pisses me off or I truly detest the character. A story I like with characters I love, I'll hold dearer, but a trash story with bleh characters usually won't affect my enjoyment if I'm liking the rest of the game. That said, from what I've played, the best cast and story in a JRPG this gen was Tales of Berseria.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but did these people play the ps1 JRPGs games (back when they came out, not now as they'd be a bit dated) and have a reference point to compare with?
I mean it's like one of those things if you don't know any better, then these JRPGs today will seem great, which some are, but not many. But they rarely ever reach the highs of what past JRPGs were like. That's my point.
we dont need to justify our opinions

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I also prefer SMT4A over SMT4 and the reason is that the story, exploration and game's balance are so much better than the original and most games. It's a solid entry in the series.
In the same vein, there's Labyrinth of Refrain which is another DRPG that focuses on it's gameplay rather than it's story.
Labyrinth of Refrain has a strong story.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I just thought about this in terms of WRPGs for the generation we have:

Witcher 3

That's it. Bethesda and BioWare really shit the bed this generation. Lionhead closed, but Legends wasn't a RPG anyway.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
I just thought about this in terms of WRPGs for the generation we have:

Witcher 3

That's it. Bethesda and BioWare really shit the bed this generation. Lionhead closed, but Legends wasn't a RPG anyway.

Divinity Original Sin 1+2
Pillars of Eternity 2
Path of Exile
Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong
Undertale
Transistor
Stardew Valley

There's more to wrpgs than the BBC of Bioware, Bethesda and CD Projekt Red

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll fight that. Plenty of fine games released.
*fights*

Nier: Automata and Undertale have viable cases, but for my tastes, Nier was pretentious nihilism 101 nonsense and Undertale a little too...loose, I guess?

Octopath was forty hours of the same basic thirty minute loop, Persona 5 has forty hours of filler in an eighty hour game, Xenoblade 2 and Tales and KH3 are so full of cringey anime tropes and fan service I would be embarrassed to have them on my television, and FFXV was a patchwork mess of broken ideas held together by glue.

CrossCode rules.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*fights*

Nier: Automata and Undertale have viable cases, but for my tastes, Nier was pretentious nihilism 101 nonsense and Undertale a little too...loose, I guess?

Octopath was forty hours of the same basic thirty minute loop, Persona 5 has forty hours of filler in an eighty hour game, Xenoblade 2 and Tales and KH3 are so full of cringey anime tropes and fan service I would be embarrassed to have them on my television, and FFXV was a patchwork mess of broken ideas held together by glue.

CrossCode rules.
Whats a crosscode

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 3DS has some good ones:
Etrian Odyssey games (excluding 2U)
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Monster Hunter Stories
Soul Hackers
Bravely Default/Second

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
*fights*

CrossCode rules.
I gather that despite using an anime style CrossCode avoids the worst tropes?

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I feel like this generation has been amazing and there are so many great JRPGs.
But then I am always confused by other peoples gaming tastes. Only buying AAA, saying there are droughts when there are constant releases etc etc so maybe I am the weird one lol.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I enjoyed XB2 and Octopath more that DQ11, but that's kind of just a matter of taste. I loved XB2 for its enormous world and anime schlock, and Octopath for its incredible soundtrack and crunchy gameplay. DQ11 felt very much like a retread of DQ8, which wasn't my favorite DQ to begin with.

Haven't played FF15; the cast and gameplay looked intensely uninteresting to me.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Persona 5. Xenoblade 2. Dragon Quest XI. Fire Emblem Three Houses. Kingdom Hearts 3. Ys 8. Valkyrie Chronicles 4. Nier Automata. Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Just off the top of my head.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It must suck to only enjoy only a few games this generation.

I loved how JRPGs/Japanes games in general are quality experiences this generation after having an identity crisis for a few years.

So much good games are already listed. I won't repeat them.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Well ya, the whole premise of the thread is just nonsensical to begin with. Era seems to have a special aggression reserved for jrpgs as well for whatever reason
If I had to guess some of that might be the demographic? This is just my perception but most of ERA is jaded 30-40 year olds, so they're not exactly the kind of people JRPG's are aimed at to begin with. Not saying you're ever too old to enjoy them but you can see that with stuff like people being frustrated with P5's story being about "teens against shitty adults" and wanting an older cast that they might relate to more.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't understand the complaints that JRPGs are "shonen" when the most popular form of media right now is superhero movies.

I guess because the characters in most superhero movies are adults it's easy to assume they're for adults?

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the complaints that JRPGs are "shonen" when the most popular form of media right now is superhero movies.

I guess because the characters in most superhero movies are adults it's easy to assume they're for adults?

I like games like XC2 because they bring me back to the days of Grandia, a massively adventurous feeling with a lot of variety, characters, memorable antagonists, breathtaking moments and vistas, a unique world with a rich history and so on. That's all I really wanted out of it and it very much delivered on that front.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm extremely picky, so I somewhat agree, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are also the only JRPG's I've played this generation. So I really have no place to say.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though is the best JRPG of this generation IMO....Monolithsoft set out to create a game/story that captured the feel of 90's JRPG's and classic anime of the 70/80/90's. And they succeeded. It's such a shame that so many people let the art style push them away from a game that's story and tone feel like a mix of Castle in the Sky meets any over-the-top mecha anime. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a love letter/homage/whatever you want to call it to all that stuff I said above, so this may be shock to some people....they intentionally used those tropes so many complain about. XC2 is way more self aware than people give it credit for.

I haven't had nostalgia like this for a game since I was younger playing through all the Final Fantasy's, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, etc. I didn't know I could get nostalgia for a game while playing through it for the first time.

Xenoblade Chronicles X deserves more recognition too. It has the best open world next to Breath of the Wild. On foot, vehicle, in air. There's much more to the story too if you actually invest yourself in the world. The side quests do so much to build up the world and actually set up so many questions and potential plot lines that can be later answered and explored in a second game. XCX is just a set up for a much greater story to be told. So, hopefully someday.....

And Tokyo Mirage Sessions was ok. Story, world, and characters are nothing special. But the pop music and battle system are fun.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I'm extremely picky, so I somewhat agree, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are also the only JRPG's I've played this generation. So I really have no place to say.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though is the best JRPG of this generation IMO....Monolithsoft set out to create a game/story that captured the feel of 90's JRPG's and classic anime of the 70/80/90's. And they succeeded. It's such a shame that so many people let the art style push them away from a game that's story and tone feel like a mix of Castle in the Sky meets any over-the-top mecha anime. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a love letter/homage/whatever you want to call it to all that stuff I said above, so this may be shock to some people....they intentionally used those tropes so many complain about. XC2 is way more self aware than people give it credit for.

I haven't had nostalgia like this for a game since I was younger playing through all the Final Fantasy's, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, etc. I didn't know I could get nostalgia for a game while playing through it for the first time.

Yeah, XC2 is in love with that era of anime. I think a lot of people here are also really underrated the characters in the game.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Xenoblade 2
Octopath Traveller
Persona 5
Fire Emblem Three Houses

I still need to play Nier. It's closed and looking at me with disappointment..

These three are more than amazing...

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
What about Octopath Traveler, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, The Legend Of Heroes Trails Of Cold Steel 1 and 2, Tales Of Berseria?
3DS also has lots of good JRPGs, such as SMT IV and Apocalypse, SMT Devil Survivor 1 and 2, Stella Glow, 7th Dragon Code VFD, The Legend Of Legacy, Fire Emblem Awakening, Etrian Odyssey V, Bravely Default and some more.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Where's the confusion? JRPG means an RPG made in Japan. It's a fairly diverse bunch of games that generally share some characteristics in different areas but not having one specific thing doesn't make something a non-JRPG. Generally they differ from western RPGs in that there's often not a whole lot freedom when it comes to choices & consequences in the story, but you take control of a set of characters who go through a set story. Gameplay-wise JRPGs are often either turn-based in the FF/DQ school of turn-based where you don't have much control over the positioning of your characters or 3rd person action RPGs that rely on more or less tight timing and are often quite flashy & fast-paced (Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Soulsbornes). Western RPGs lean more into the whole tactical, isometric turn-based/RTWP combat where positioning is as important as what actions you take, or immersive first person RPGs like Elder Scrolls.

Nier Automata is clearly an action (J)RPG with character customization with all the equipment, stat & skill chips & drone selection to go with it, leveling up/grinding, item management, questing (with limited choices) & such. Bloodborne is an action JRPG as well, though I'd say more of a dungeon crawler kind that the typical story heavy one. You have a lot of freedom over what kind of character to create (equipment, what stats to improve etc.). It's more horror-themed/mature in its presentation but JRPGs aren't defined by their visual style (and Soulsbornes are still VERY Japanese in that regards, with clear inspiration from Japanese mythology and more mature manga like Berserk). Loli big eye pedo bait animu games aren't the only games that can be classified as JRPGs.

Everything you have written is logical and should be obvious; however, there is a hardcore faction that do not see this light. So, you might be wasting you breath. I'm still waiting for those people to explain how an action RPG like FF XV is JRPG but Souls games aren't.