• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Like there was the absolutely amazing DQXI, Nier Automata and Ys VIII but what else?

I don't consider FFXV as a great jrpg just an ok one especially in comparison to the other FF games even FFXIII.

I guess you could include FFXIV even though it's a mmorpg but still very good.

Xenoblade Chrinciles 2 was ok but nothing mind blowing like XC1 was. Felt bloated and didn't really like it more than a 7/10

There was Octopath which was decent but nothing earth shattering. Sorry wasn't great. Cold Steel have just had hd ports and they're excellent so maybe Cold Steel 3 will be another game to add to this generations best JRPGs?

I loved FFXII Remaster but this was a remaster so doesn't really count?

It's a shame because instead of the Chrono Cross's, Vagrant Story, Suikdoens, Valkyrie Profile's (the list goes on) we've gotten low budget low effort affairs like Oninaki, Setsuna, yearly Atelier games, Tales games that are copy and paste and other such stuff like Idea Factory's low efforts.

Falcom seems to be the only company consistently pushing out good traditional JRPGs.

Anyone agree?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 was fantastic and that's missing in your list already.
Tales of Berseria was also quite excellent.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
xenoblade 2 is pretty rad. labyrinth of refrain was a surprise to me last year too.

also i didn't get too far but persona 5 seems to be a pretty big one where the consensus was positive. fire emblem three houses is getting a lot of love now too.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I mean... Persona 5 was sort of a cross-generational release, I admit, but I'm still going to say it's missing from your list.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is wank.

Persona 5 should be there.

DQXI is dull as bricks and whilst being as long as P5, doesn't have the chops to back it up.

I'm finally finishing up with Ys VIII and I think I agree with the guy with the Jordan avatar who says it's the best JRPG of the gen.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's too harsh. The past couple of years have been pretty good, especially if you consider remakes/remasters.

- Ys VIII
- Nier Automata (I know you mentioned these two)
- Xenoblade 2
- FF12 Zodiac Age
- Etrian Odyssey V
- Radiant Histora 3DS
- Resonance of Fate Remaster

I wasn't a fan of Persona 5 and DQ 11 but they got many fans I guess.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
OP - does good mean good, or does it mean amazing? As you say there have been only 3 good ones but then go on to list those 3 as amazing other games that are 'just' good...

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem, BOTW, Persona 5

Is Ys VIII actually any good? Though I grew up on JRPGs, I usually find stuff like the Tales Of series to be too conventional and predictable to really enjoy. I always assumed Ys was more or less the same, just in the form of an ARPG.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI, No No Kuni 2, I Am Setsuna, Final Fantasy XV and all the remasters, world of final fantasy, resonance of fate. I guess there isn't just a flood of them but there is a decent enough amount.

I don't get the "big budget = good" mentality

Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Beseria, and Ys seem to be very well liked and as much as I don't like XC2, that has a pretty big fan base.

I wouldn't count Nier as a JRPG tho.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you're just growing out of the genre? Personally I think that the jrpg scene has been much healthier than during the PS3 generation.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem, BOTW, Persona 5

Is Ys VIII actually any good? Though I grew up on JRPGs, I usually find stuff like the Tales Of series to be too conventional and predictable to really enjoy. I always assumed Ys was more or less the same, just in the form of an ARPG.
ys viii plays less like a tales game (at least... the tales of symphonia/vesperia that i played) with no random battles and more like an action game with rpg elements.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, it's been a pretty great gen for JRPGS, off the top of my head.

• Nier Automata
  • Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth
  • Ys VIII
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Dragon Quest 11
  • FF14: Shadowbringers
  • Persona 5 (Even if I have issues with it)
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses
  • Bloodborne
And many many more.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't people really like Ni No Kuni 2? I've not gotten around to playing it myself yet. If you open it up to include more tactics-driven RPGs then Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Fire Emblem Three Houses are both outstanding.

I was really really disappointed by Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though. People keep hyping it up like it's one of the best JRPGs ever and that game is honestly just pretty bad.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people really like Ni No Kuni 2? I've not gotten around to playing it myself yet. If you open it up to include more tactics-driven RPGs then Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Fire Emblem Three Houses are both outstanding.

I was really really disappointed by Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though. People keep hyping it up like it's one of the best JRPGs ever and that game is honestly just pretty bad.

did you get to the part where the it super leans into the shonen and it becomes the best game ever. i think it was chapter 7.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh DQXI was incredibly boring imo same with that YS game. Didn't find them enjoyable. Especially dragon quest. Music gave me a headache and the battle system was too archaic for me.

Nier, P5, KH3, BB are all great

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youre the only one op. Putting DQ XI as good, but not putting XC2 or P5 is a straight up joke. Octopath was better, Neir is fantastic, FFXV was flawed (better than DQ XI). Honestly there is a ton of great stuff, none of which are DQ XI

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Nope just you. Loved persona 5, xb2, still need to finish dq11, nier was amazing too but I would classify it more as an action game than a jrpg

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Xenoblade 2 is one of my top favourite games ever so I'm going to say just you, sorry

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I feel like if we're counting Nier Automata as a JRPG, I don't even know what a JRPG is any more.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, your list isn't exactly unreasonable, but I doubt you could make a better list for PS3. If Nier Automata, Persona 5, and DQ11 had released on PS3, they'd probably still be the best of that generation. It's telling that you have to go back to the PS1 for all your examples of better stuff. You're comparing things against an environment that hasn't existed for decades.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If they count as this gen you have Bravely Default and Second on the 3ds

Dragon Quest 11/S, Final Fantasy 15, Cold Steel 3/4, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts 3

Even if I don't care for them Persona 5 and Ys 8

There are tons of great jrpgs this gen

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say its that far off anyways. You didn't have the DS and PSP around this generation to pick up the slack either.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, your list isn't exactly unreasonable, but I doubt you could make a better list for PS3. If Nier Automata, Persona 5, and DQ11 had released on PS3, they'd probably still be the best of that generation. It's telling that you have to go back to the PS1 for all your examples of better stuff. You're comparing things against an environment that hasn't existed for decades.
Persona 5 did release on PS3...

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I guess there was Persona 5 which I thought was a 7/10

Bloodborne I wouldn't really class as a jrpg per se or Breath of the Wild but they were both amazing.

I enjoyed Ni No Kuni 2 more than Persona I'd give it an 8/10

I meant truly amazing JRPGs like in the PS1/2 era that were really something to play and memorable.

Like Suikoden, Vagrant story, VP, Xenogears, DQVII, Shadow Hearts.

None of the games I've played this gen have matched those with the exception of DQXI and YS VIII perhaps.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Xenoblade 2 with it's cringe dialouge, bad characters, sexualized loli bot, and ridiculous bunny ladies was far too egregious for me. Like yeah, XI has it's share of gross shit... but X2 took it to the next level + it's characters were shonen trash imo. Not a fan of that game yet I see a lot of people praise it all the time. I do think Persona 5 is missing from your list though, that one's fantastic. Also I don't like Ys games.

So your list is mostly my list but replace Ys with P5

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there was Persona 5 which I thought was a 7/10

Bloodborne I wouldn't really class as a jrpg per se or Breath of the Wild but they were both amazing.

I enjoyed Ni No Kuni 2 more than Persona I'd give it an 8/10

I meant truly amazing JRPGs like in the PS1/2 era that were really something to play and memorable.

Like Suikoden, Vagrant story, VP, Xenogears, DQVII, Shadow Hearts.

None of the games I've played this gen have matched those with the exception of DQXI and YS VIII perhaps.
I think the point is, youre rankings arent agreeable. People liked games you didnt