• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Listening to the best stuff from Link to The Past, Castlevania 4, and Chrono Trigger...

This sound chip just makes the absolute best sounds ever.

Everyone post their greatest hits.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The SNES sound chip is an absolute marvel. DKC, FF6, and Chrono Trigger are absolutely outstanding considering the entire soundtracks fit in 64KB of memory.

Oct 25, 2017
When I grew up it was an accepted fact that the Genesis sound sucked ass but basically the entire internet disagrees lol. It's not even my own opinion I don't think I have ever listend to a single Genesis soundtrack. But basically as a kid it was simply understood that the Genesis sounded terrible and I never questioned it.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea because everyone is always posting links to genesis soundtracks, no lol you always see donkey Kong country, ff6 Chrono trigger soundtracks constantly posted

you can like them but it's def the minority

Don't take the bait, haha

Also yeah, the chrono trigger soundtrack is so good. Undersea Palace is my favourite.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Yea because everyone is always posting links to genesis soundtracks, no lol you always see donkey Kong country, ff6 Chrono trigger soundtracks constantly posted

you can like them but it's def the minority
Bruh it's not our fault if the masses have poor taste is it
Castlevania Bloodlines OST slaps HARD (lowkey the best 16-bit Castlevania out there)

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to say anything because I prefer the Genesis sound chip but those first two replies got me good.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I believe Claude Comair, founder of DigiPen, was the main architect behind the SNES sound chip. He wore it around his neck as a little necklace while he taught one of my classes. Super cool dude!

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
You Genesis fans are frickin' delusional, lol!

Bow to your King.

pfRibwf.gif

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I mean, maybe he was involved also, but isn't it a Sony-manufactured chip, the design of which is often credited to Ken Kutaragi, and thus was the jumping point of the failed Sony-Nintendo working relationship that led to the PlayStation?
Could be? All I know is what I can remember him telling us back in 2000. And the fact he pointed out that he wore it around his neck, so I figured he had some main input into it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cybernator's overlooked for SNES music.

Poorly made Genesis music is painful on the ears but when people (like Yuzo Koshiro) knew how to use it, it can produce amazing stuff right up there with the SNES.

It's okay to love both. And Amiga kicks ass, too. Give them all a chance.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That DKC music thread someone made the other day sent me down that rabbit hole and I was again STILL so amazed at what I was hearing. It's crazy.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
SNES sound chip cool and good but
Genesis sound chip thumps.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing many Snes greats being posted so far, come on lads?

In the meantime here's uhh something else..

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Poorly made Genesis music is painful on the ears but when people (like Yuzo Koshiro) knew how to use it, it can produce amazing stuff right up there with the SNES.

It's okay to love both. And Amiga kicks ass, too. Give them all a chance.

I'm convinced Koshiro could make eye-wateringly great music on an empty tin can.
Dude is good.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I was fully prepared to enter this thread and share my favorite SNES tracks, but after the first few replies, fuck it

Genesis sound chip forever!

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After years of nonstop "robot farts" criticism, it's nice to see some defense of the Genesis' sound chip. The SNES had gross sounding soundtracks too!

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
like imagine listening to a yuzo koshiro composed track or anything from outrun and trying to trot out david wise lmao

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ya'll arguing about SNES or Genesis when the Saturn had a better sound chip than both

Oct 26, 2017
SNES wins over Genesis but there is some really good stuff on Sega... I guess at some point they went cheaper on their sound chip or something so that later versions of the Genesis had worse sound? I had the original version, with the dedicated headphone port, which always sounded really good.

But as usual I think PC Master Race wins for the select few that were rocking that Roland MT-32 (not me, sadly):

Oct 29, 2017
Here's something that really shows off just how amazing the SNES SPC700 is...

We often see MD renditions of SNES tunes, but what happens when we do the process in reverse?

Legitimately mindblowing stuff! :D

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Was playing Super Castlevania IV last night. That soundtrack is amazing

Metal Warriors

Last edited: