• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Nintendo said their new philosophy was to not discuss games further than 6 months out yet yesterday they had no problems dropping <x is in development> and fall release game info. They have done neither with this rumored Star Fox GP game so as hopeful as I was with the idea of it becoming a reality, I'm sadly ready to let it go too.
This post makes no sense. Just because they announced stuff that are further than 6 months from release doesn't mean they announced everything they have been working on.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I think the game, if it exists, is the sort of thing Nintendo could announce at E3 and release before the end of the year (think Super Mario Party). So I'm willing to give them at least until then before worrying about it.

If we don't see anything at E3 I'll just assume it either existed and was cancelled or the insiders were wrong (that seems unlikely though given the number of people confirming it).

Also worth considering that Nintendo apparently has a history of sitting on completed games for ages before releasing them.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The more time goes on the more I feel it was not a real thing. If there is nothing at this year's E3 then IMO it never truly existed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't see Nintendo letting ubi make a Star Fox racing mode (well a mode in a game that has star fox characters) if they were seriously developing a Star fox racing game too.

Someone must have seen this and thought it was Star Fox GP. This is way too coincidental to not mean something and at the same time it would have been in development in early 2017 before rumors started

This begs the question, just what the fuck had retro been working on then?

I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to make a new Star Fox

4 player co op on rails campaign, branching patches, etc. if you want to go crazy and fulfill my dreams make a Star Fox multiplayer game like 2007 Warhawk, in and out of Arwings, call it Lylat Wars Online

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So what kind of game IS Starlink? I look at videos at it seems like a more voice-narrated and action oriented version of No Man's Sky.

Oct 26, 2017
This kinda reminds me of when Mario Odyssey was revealed which made me wonder if the Mario + Rabbids rumour was based a misunderstanding, heh.
The timing sounds too off, like you point out, someone would have to be mischievous in leaking footage of the racing mode specifically, and very early on. The whole story might be nonsense, of course, and not necessarily connected to this footage.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make some fine points OP, it's definitely possible this was mistaken for a Star Fox Grand Prix game. It's even possible that at one point, a prototype or something of that existed and it eventually morphed into this. Interesting, anyhow.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible that Star Fox GP was real, simply didn't work out in the end as its own product, and Nintendo worked with Ubisoft to implement some of the ideas into an extra mode for StarLink.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah I already wondered aloud previously on here whether the leakers misinterpreted Starlink as a Retro Star Fox game (the crossover appearance, hub area flying and more direct paths are all too similar), and got hounded for it. Seeing the racing addon in the Direct yesterday solidified it for me. Either it never existed and people just saw Starlink, or it was canceled and they moved the GP ideas over to their Ubisoft collaboration.

No way, just no way, would Nintendo allow Ubisoft to run with a Star Fox racing expansion if they intend to release a standalone Star Fox GP in a timely manner.

The dream is dead.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The idea of this never existing hurts as, to me personally, it is a dream game. However, these are compelling points and I guess I should stop holding the candle for SFGP.

Oct 26, 2017
This post makes no sense. Just because they announced stuff that are further than 6 months from release doesn't mean they announced everything they have been working on.

True, I just don't buy why it would hurt to have announced this rumored game in particular, if it indeed exists. This isn't exactly Metroid Prime 4 or Link's Awakening caliber stuff we're talking here. I just feel if it was real, we would have confirmation by now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is some Sixth Sense shit :P

It's hard to believe Retro could be so useless for so long though :/ Their bigger, more ambitious narrative game canned, and their second project seemingly never existing?

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always somewhat doubted the rumor since it originally came from a dubious source. Some more respectable people later put their weight behind it, so I became more willing to believe it. But considering how low-key they presented it, I really wouldn't be surprised if this will thing was one giant case of a very broken telephone.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Nintendo heads (and third parties) must read these rumors and bust out laughing!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your post makes some good points but since multiple sources reported these rumors, that means multiple sources had to make the same mistakes (confusing Starlink's racing mode for a new game, assuming Retro was involved, etc).

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's way too specific of a rumor backed by a lot of reliable people to be fake. Maybe there's something happening but to say it never existed is ridiculous.

This is kind of where I am right now. I could see why people might buy into this theory, but I don't think it suggest that Grand Prix doesn't exist, or never was an idea. I still think that game could exist in some form, but it's becoming more and more doubtful that it'll ever be released.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's too crazy to think Nintendo doesn't have 2 Star Fox Racing games in development. If I were to take a wild guess, Retro is just working in colaboration with Ubisoft on the Starlink stuff in some capacity and thats how the rumors got started. Maybe it started off as a real game, who knows. But now that we know a Star Fox racing mode is in Starlink I think it's pretty safe to assume that there probably isn't a full game coming out.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My question to op is: Do you think Retro is working on something right now that is about to be finished/is finished or is Nintendo handing the rebooted Metroid Prime to a studio unable to put out a game for half a decade?

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
i find it hard to believe nintendo would give metroid prime 4, a game with such rocky development, to a game studio that apparently had 2 games cancelled internally in the last 5 years
just wait

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It could still be real, but it became far far far less likely, and that pleases me very much because I truly believe we dodged a bullet here. Now, I can get excited again about the next Retro game which in all likelihood should release this year. I'd sell a kidney for a new Donkey Kong, but a new IP will do just fine.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
So what kind of game IS Starlink? I look at videos at it seems like a more voice-narrated and action oriented version of No Man's Sky.

Pretty good description of it to be fair.

It's a decent game, there just isn't enough of it. The same content is just repeated over and over.

I think it controls so good though. It's a shame they didn't do more with it.

Jan 29, 2018
I kinda assumed the rumor was real when IGN's Peer Schnieder commented on a podcast that an insider told him the game was graphically impressive. He seems like a guy who would know people.

Then again maybe it was real, then canceled, then Ubisoft decided to add a racing mode.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
i find it hard to believe nintendo would give metroid prime 4, a game with such rocky development, to a game studio that apparently had 2 games cancelled internally in the last 5 years
just wait

Wouldn't be the first time. Retro had at least a couple of cancelled projects in the Gamecube days off the top of my head: Raven Blade and a racing title. I think I recall hearing about a football title as well that never made it. Plus, with Tanabe cutting ties as a producer, I can see there being some turmoil over the past few years. Now Tanabe is back in the picture, however, so perhaps this has something to do with Nintendo's confidence.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty good description of it to be fair.

It's a decent game, there just isn't enough of it. The same content is just repeated over and over.

I think it controls so good though. It's a shame they didn't do more with it.
Thanks for the description! With this DLC, I might grab it when it goes on sale.

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time. Retro had at least a couple of cancelled projects in the Gamecube days off the top of my head: Raven Blade and a racing title. Plus, with Tanabe cutting ties as a producer, I can see there being some turmoil over the past few years. Now Tanabe is back in the picture, however, so perhaps this has something to do with Nintendo's confidence.

I mean... Tanabe's Metroid Prime 4 just failed spectacularly to the point where they had to publicly cancel it and apologize.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Just to go over what I edited in the OP:

If this rumor is in fact real, then it would mean that Nintendo greenlit Starfox content for a Ubisoft game that includes a racing mode while also developing their own Starfox racing game.

I honestly just find that possibility much more far-fetched than the alternative I presented above.
Another point, Ubisoft is incredibly leaky, especially when it comes to Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Their top two people were maybe fired so maybe it will never come out.
I find it very hard to believe that Ninte do would trust with saving their big project Metroid Prime 4 to a studio that just spent five years in chaos and failing to produce anything. By this and by the lack of credible evidence pointing to such chaos (
Beyond the silence) I assume they have something that is close to being finished and released. If it's a late 2019 title, waiting for E3 to reveal it would not be so weird, or maybe for a tease in a Direct mini or a game specific direct.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Tanabe's Metroid Prime 4 just failed spectacularly to the point where they had to publicly cancel it and apologize.

From what we've heard, though, that had more to do with the experimental development process involving multiple studios working in tandem remotely. Tanabe gave us 3 solid Metroid Prime titles and 2 DKC games with Retro. Plus, it's clearly what the fans wanted, so why not give it a shot?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna say it's too soon for this thread. Post E3? Sure. I'd even be on your side. But saying something like this ahead of a show where they'd lay everything on the table is just asking for egg to be on your face. Everyone's always eager to prove insiders aren't actually insiders. But who knows? Maybe you'll get Jason or someone else in here to comment and say you're right.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Your post makes some good points but since multiple sources reported these rumors, that means multiple sources had to make the same mistakes (confusing Starlink's racing mode for a new game, assuming Retro was involved, etc).

Or none of these people is a "source" properly speaking and they're just getting second hand info, maybe even from a single person. If that single person made the confusion, I would see why several reliable person were fed with wrong info.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
I'm with OP on this. Just insiders jumping to conclusions on Starlink without context.

No way in hell they would be making a racing game while also green lighting racing DLC for Starlink....

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This really does scream "broodals in Mario Odyssey must've been mistaken for the Rabbids" lol

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I should also note that I personally was pretty excited about the game. I definitely don't want it to be fake, but I feel like that's where the evidence is currently leading us.

Also, I didn't mention this in the OP since I don't really have sources for this but most of the people and outlets reporting on this rumor seemed to indicate it wasn't from the most reliable source. For instance, nobody said something like "we can confirm this is accurate" which outlets like Eurogamer often say. Instead they simply said they heard similar things.

I think it was real at one point and then was cancelled. Not the first time Nintendo would have canned something very far along in development (Project: HAMMER or even Star Fox 2 for that matter).

I see the racing addition in Starlink as basically a consolation whipped up later on that Nintendo would have allowed since SFGP isn't going to happen now. If Nintendo had anything to do with it at all. It is a Ubisoft title after all and I don't think it's an exclusive Star Fox mission.

That's definitely a possibility, I just think it would be odd for Nintendo to give Metroid Prime 4 to a studio who had two cancelled projects in a row. Especially doing that so publicly.

It's possible some of them share sources, or that multiple people originally saw the footage.

My question to op is: Do you think Retro is working on something right now that is about to be finished/is finished or is Nintendo handing the rebooted Metroid Prime to a studio unable to put out a game for half a decade?

I sure hope they have been working on something. I'd question Nintendo's confidence in giving them MP4 so publicly if they've been simply doing nothing or cancelling games for the past 5 years.

Another point, Ubisoft is incredibly leaky, especially when it comes to Nintendo.

This is very true. And Retro typically is not leaky.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
So basically if starfox gp rumor is fake, then the fact that they cancelled a game BEFORE creating star fox gp was also fake since that was the same rumor.

5 years with no news is ridiculous. Come on Retro. One of my favorite developers just dropped off the face of the earth.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Or none of these people is a "source" properly speaking and they're just getting second hand info, maybe even from a single person. If that single person made the confusion, I would see why several reliable person were fed with wrong info.
youre assuming all the insiders would just blindly trust a single people instead of doing abit of research with other sources, they arent stupid geez