• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I believe there is a legitimate discussion to be had around this rumor and whether or not it was ever true, especially in light of the new Starlink info presented in yesterday's Direct. This thread is for discussing the possibility that all of those Starfox GP rumors were false and the implications of that, especially in terms of what Retro Studios has been up to lately. Mods, if you feel this is not threadworthy feel free to close it but I think there might be some good discussions to be had here.

So as many of us know, last year there were a whole host of rumors about Retro Studios' current project, rumored to be Starfox Grand Prix. From the rumor archive:

May 2018
-[17th] Liam Roberston claims on his podcast that 'Star Fox Gran Prix' is a tentative title, he has seen a more complete logo, game is not like F-Zero, but a mix of classic Star Fox and racing where you can shoot enemies and other players to propel forward, it has a HUB area where you can interact with other characters and pick up missions, it will probably be released in 2019. (Source) (Source)
-[14th] Eurogamer claims they've heard Retro is making a Star Fox racing game too. (Source)
-[9th] In light of John Harker's claims that there's a new Star Fox in development, and Emily's claims that Retro is working on an IP in a different genre that what it is known for, Twitter Liam Robertson posts a blurry picture of a Star Fox Command ending where the characters join a "G-Zero Grand Prix" race. He then deletes the tweet and claims it was a joke (Source). Then DasVergeben posts on Reddit and GameFAQs that Retro is working on a Star Fox racing game called Star Fox Grand Prix which will have adventure elements like Diddy Kong Racing, and will have a hub area (Source).
-[3rd] ERA Emily claims Retro is working on an old Nintendo IP in a completely different genre than that IP has been known for. (Source) (Source)

On top of that many other outlets claimed to hear similar things, including Kotaku:

A piping hot new E3 rumor suggests that Retro Studios, the Nintendo-owned developer behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, is making a Star Foxracing game. These rumors have been floating around gossipy Nintendo fan and writer circles for at least a few weeks now, but they've only gone public today, suggesting that Retro's new game is called Star Fox: Grand Prix.

We've heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we've also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled. The person familiar with this Star Fox racing game confirmed many of the details that have been floating around the web today, on Reddit and 4chan and Eurogamer and many other places. Grand Prix is said to be a lot like Diddy Kong Racing in that, unlike Nintendo's other major racing series, Mario Kart, this game will have a story mode and boss battles.
(Emphasis added)

For a while now some people were claiming these rumors were probably just people confusing a new Star Fox game with Star Fox being in Ubisoft's title, Starlink. To me, those claims never made sense because Starlink was not a racing game, and had no indications of any sort of racing mode or racing elements at all. So how could anyone mistake that game for a racing game?

Enter yesterday's Direct:

zLmLIKB.jpg

Would you look at that, Starfox racing!

Okay, so yes, Starlink has a racing mode (or minigame?), how does that prove anything?

I don't necessarily think this proves anything, but I believe it makes a rather strong case that the Starfox GP could have been a misinterpretation of leaked Starlink footage. Here's the scenario:

• Person or persons get access to footage from Starlink. They do not know what game this comes from, and don't know many details about the game or the developers.
  • In this footage they see an Arwing on a race track.
  • After that segment, they then see some of the standard flying gameplay, including shooting down enemy ships, fighting bosses, and maybe some HUD info showing the current mission
  • They also see some cutscenes from the hub ship, including character interactions
The people who saw this footage then naturally assume it is a racing game featuring Starfox characters, and that it's not a traditional racing game in that it has combat elements, bosses, a story, missions, etc. If they saw the racing part first then they would not assume it was a side mode in a game of a completely different genre.

Why Retro? Well perhaps the source these people got this footage from is not based in Japan, so they naturally assume it is one of Nintendo's western developers. Almost every other western studio is accounted for, and this looks to be a bit too impressive in scope and visuals for it to be made by such a small team at NST, so these people with the footage make the logical leap assuming this might be Retro's game. They don't consider that it could be a third party game, and when you think about it who would have guessed that Ubisoft would make two different games with two different Nintendo IP in back to back years (the other being Mario + Rabbids)? That probably seemed unlikely at the time.

So where did the name and logo come from? Pardon my french but I would guess they came from someone's ass. Maybe whoever saw this footage just made a guess about the name and mocked up a logo.

------------

Now, there are a couple of possible holes in this theory.

1. Starlink was revealed at E3 2017, close to a year before these rumors became public. The Starfox info was not revealed until the following E3, but still, footage of this game was public and it was known to be a Ubisoft game. If someone saw footage of Starlink with Starfox would they not make the connection to the existing footage of Starlink from E3? Maybe not.
  2. The racing mode is a late addition (~6 months after launch), was it possible people saw this over a year ago with the rest of the Starfox content of the game? Maybe.
And maybe more if people think of them.

But as of now I think the theory makes a bit more sense than the game being real, which would require that Nintendo greenlit Starfox content for a Ubisoft game that includes a racing mode while also developing their own Starfox racing game. That just seems extremely unlikely and out there, even for Nintendo. Or maybe it's just the mother of all coincidences.

Anyway, assuming this theory is accurate, what does that mean for Retro? Well, it means we can throw out all of these Starfox related rumors. Including the rumor from Kotaku stating that another previous game was potentially cancelled. So basically they could have been up to absolutely anything over the past 5 years.

Again mods, if you feel discussing a rumor like this isn't worth a thread then feel free to close it but I feel that it might be an interesting case to talk about and I feel that I've made a decently compelling argument in the OP.

Edit: Here are Emily's most recent thoughts on the game

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...read-ot2-new-year-new-mii.90098/post-17308012
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...read-ot2-new-year-new-mii.90098/post-17309063
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...read-ot2-new-year-new-mii.90098/post-17316903

Edit2: Jason Schreier with an update:

So since I know a lot of you care deeply about this thing, let me make a quick comment. The way I constructed this story was very deliberate, and it was very heavily couched because I wasn't nearly as sure as I usually am when I report on these things. When I have confirmed something firsthand with my own sources who have direct knowledge of information, you'll see me be a lot clearer. (ie: "Sources: Watch Dogs 3 Is Real And Set In London.") When I'm sharing something that I think is true but can't confidently confirm (which is fairly uncommon), you'll see me be a lot more careful with my words, like this:

A piping hot new E3 rumor suggests that Retro Studios, the Nintendo-owned developer behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, is making a Star Fox racing game. These rumors have been floating around gossipy Nintendo fan and writer circles for at least a few weeks now, but they've only gone public today, suggesting that Retro's new game is called Star Fox: Grand Prix.
We've heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we've also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled.

The second part of that statement I am still very confident in. Retro has had a troubled last few years, from what I've heard.

But today I spoke to the person I referred to as "a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo" in that article and they are no longer confident that Star Fox Grand Prix is real. I won't burn my sources or say anything that could possibly identify them, but it's very, very possible that this is one of those rumors that never had much air in the first place. A lot of Nintendo rumor-mongers talk to each other, a lot of things get lost in translation, and sometimes what appears to be coming from multiple sources might actually be coming from a ring of people sharing information with one another. That's why I try to be very careful when it comes to reporting on Nintendo-related gossip that comes my way. So much of that stuff has turned out to be bunk, even from extremely reputable reporters.

Ultimately, I don't know if Star Fox Grand Prix is real or was ever real. I'm not as interested in that question as I am in the question of how the recent Metroid Prime 4 deal came together (and just what's been happening at Retro over the past few years), but that's a story that has proven difficult to tell. Hopefully one day!

Last edited:

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's way too specific of a rumor backed by a lot of reliable people to be fake. Maybe there's something happening but to say it never existed is ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo said their new philosophy was to not discuss games further than 6 months out yet yesterday they had no problems dropping <x is in development> and fall release game info. They have done neither with this rumored Star Fox GP game so as hopeful as I was with the idea of it becoming a reality, I'm sadly ready to let it go too.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your going to get a lot of flack
For this, because thats the way things go with controversial opinions and what not. But i agree with you, i think its entirely possible that concepts for this got leaked out with out any context and someone immediatley assumed, starfox racing, and retro because it looked more western

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a wait and see approach, lot of titles here were for summer. But I wouldn't lie that when I saw the StarLink update, I was thinking it could've been a mixed up, but I'll wait and see.

Also. Do no one make a thread about the StarLink update?

Been trying to look it up.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems a bit too far-fetched, but I can respect your logic. I'd wait until E3 before we come to any conclusions.

Oct 26, 2017
Kotaku had specific gameplay details and IGN had graphical details about the game FYI.

Even if this game wasn't real it doesn't change the fact that Retro has done nothing for five years.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
They got Fox mixed up with the fox in Link's Awakening. It happens.

Also humorous that everyone who leaked this are now deathly quiet about it.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
100% agree. It was never real. Insiders got took for a ride lol (or just confused the two)

That's way too specific of a rumor backed by a lot of reliable people to be fake. Maybe there's something happening but to say it never existed is ridiculous.

It isn't ridiculous at all. The rumour only appeared before E3 then Star Link was revealed with Star Fox content. The exact same thing happened here accept racing in Star Link.

The logical conclusion is that it's a load of nonsense.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Retro was Ubisoft all along, Metroid Prime 4 is going to be open world and 200 hours long.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
When I was re-watching / skimming through the Direct footage again yesterday I jumped to that clip in OP and thought "Huh? They showed Star Fox racing????" then realised it was Starlink...

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You're telling me a random twitter rumor might have been fake? I'm shocked!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the weirdest part was the dead silence on info. It seemed like right when it leaked, the info stopped coming, could be because it was StarLink all along? It did released soon after.

Or Retro are just really good at keeping secrets lol

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the dumb side mode added to a poorly selling game on multiple platforms presumably after the game launched made by a completely different company is totally the Star Fox Racing that was rumored.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the reputable sources on this game that actually knew something would've recognized this as Starlink if that were the case.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just to go over what I edited in the OP:

If this rumor is in fact real, then it would mean that Nintendo greenlit Starfox content for a Ubisoft game that includes a racing mode while also developing their own Starfox racing game.

I honestly just find that possibility much more far-fetched than the alternative I presented above.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Seems like a likely interpretation of things.

The other one would be the insiders just making up shit instead, and the rest just going along with it.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we can logic our way to a conclusion about this. Literally it being real and the points you made have so much going for it in both directions.

I believe it was Zell or some insider here who said they went through a long period of time not hearing about anything from this game. That alone leads me in the camp of "it was just starlink footage".

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking for a while that Starlink might just be the Star Fox Racing game some people have been suggesting. Especially after yesterday's Direct with that short racing moment in it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, seeing the racing bits buried the rumor for me, some source must have seen partial information and gotten confused. The question now is, what have Retro been up to till now, and when will that come out?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Yup totally agree with you. No chance after all these years of non racing Star Fox games, there's 2 of them being made at the same time

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I thought when I saw the Starlink stuff in the direct.

Yeah the hell?

And now they are officially making MP4 from scratch

What have they been doing?
Probably working on something that "isn't up to our standards of quality" or somesuch. We will likely never know.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The leap is why the press sneaks would assume it was Retro and not a third party. Nintendo has been willing to give Star Fox to external developers before, including the most recent game. I'm not sure I see why everyone would assume it was a Retro game.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking, just a few days ago, "what if Star Fox Grand Prix was a fake game Nintendo came up with to try to find who in the pipeline is leaking stuff?"

Does the game exist? Maybe. Honestly, at this point, in my mind, it's a 50/50 split.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this thought for a while even before yesterday's direct. It's still a rumor among everything else sooooooooooooo yeah!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's a lot of smoke from insiders but no smoking gun. I've thought that they have been taken on a ride for some time. Game just straight up never existed. Nothing leaks from Nintendo likes this and then just disappears.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong however.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was real at one point and then was cancelled. Not the first time Nintendo would have canned something very far along in development (Project: HAMMER or even Star Fox 2 for that matter).

I see the racing addition in Starlink as basically a consolation whipped up later on that Nintendo would have allowed since SFGP isn't going to happen now. If Nintendo had anything to do with it at all. It is a Ubisoft title after all and I don't think it's an exclusive Star Fox mission.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good thread and reflects what I believe happened as well.

I was very much convinced Star Fox GP exists because there were multiple people talking about it but the fact that they only came forward with it after the rumours got some traction now makes sense. It supports the notion that the original sources Kotaku and Eurogamer had had only very flimsy information on the title. For the record, around the same time another rumour popped up about an open-world Star Fox came out which was quickly dismissed but ended up being extremely close to what Starlink is.

Which, again, makes me think that the original source(s) on this had only partial and separate pieces of information which were then mixed with speculation before they reached us.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So what the hell have they been doing since Tropical Freeze? That was released in 2014. NoJ were developing the Prime 4 until that fell apart and Retro apparently cooked up a prototype. At this rate it'll be nearly a decade between releases for them.