• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Green Day performing at TGA is Cyberpunk 2077 related?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 90 60.4%

• Total voters

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Green Day being in Cyberpunk would actually make me way less likely to play the game. I mean seriously, there are hundreds of vaporwave/synthwave/escape room/whatever artists out there that actually make music that is "cyberpunk", so why get some band that doesn't sound even a bit cyberpunk and that isn't even popular anymore. Really kinda makes them seem out of touch.
Music that actually is cyberpunk? You do realize theres PUNK in cyberpunk? Not just cybercyber

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Like the Dave Matthews Band of pop punk... pretty much.
I don't give two shits about labels, genres, or how "hardcore" a band is. Such a waste of time and energy.

"They aren't REAL punk". Who the fuck gives a shit? If you like the music then that's all that matters. I'm so bored with all the negativity in this world. Your life isn't being enriched by calling a band that you don't care about "irrelevant". No one cares that you don't consider a band to be "punk" enough. Everyone likes what they like and if you don't like it... move on and focus on the things you do like. Everyone will be happier for it.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
American Idiot and Dookie are some of the best albums ever made. Plus they recently changed their style quite a bit. Great band with actually cool left wing values. They're still relevant and politically engaged. The same naysayers here in this thread would flip out if a right winger band like 3 Doors Down would play. Just be fucking grateful once.

Also relevant:

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Again, green day is completely on brand for a game like cyberpunk and it's target audience

But they should definitely have them perform as holograms, with the band eventually standing into the place of the holograms; which one is real?????? Both?????????

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I don't give two shits about labels, genres, or how "hardcore" a band is. Such a waste of time and energy.

"They aren't REAL punk". Who the fuck gives a shit? If you like the music then that's all that matters. I'm so bored with all the negativity in this world. Your life isn't being enriched by calling a band that you don't care about "irrelevant". No one cares that you don't consider a band to be "punk" enough. Everyone likes what they like and if you don't like it... move on and focus on the things you do like. Everyone will be happier for it.

I'm not sure why you're angry. I didn't usr that label as a "bad" thing. Literally how I've always referenced bands like Green Day.

Take your rage energy elsewhere my man. Also, I never called them "irrelevant". What are you even on about?

Side note.. this is a thread about a band. If people have the opinion that Green Day isn't good, I feel like that's a valid thing. It's personal preference. Just as you have the right to blast this thread as a Green Day homer. Everyone's opinion is valid.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever an artist performs at events like this the sound is always terrible.

Green Day's albums from the 90s were cool but they really fell off for me with American Idiot and everything after.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Not really though in the grand scheme of things, as far as guitar-driven music is concerned.
At the time of the Ramones debut they weren't considered mainstream or radio friendly. They played loud, sloppy and fast and a lot of people hated it.
The whole genre was the antithesis of pop music.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I dont like them but they dont bother me at all, so it could be cool to see they perform at the game awards. Anyways, i think Industrial music fits better than any punk/synthwave/retro band out there.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why you're angry. I didn't usr that label as a "bad" thing. Literally how I've always referenced bands like Green Day.

Take your rage energy elsewhere my man.
The second half of that was not directed at you specifically. Just this thread and that attitude in general. Also, I'm not angry. I just fucking enjoy using god damn swear words to articulate my fucking point, dammit.

Feb 16, 2018
Historically though, punk was a reaction to complex prog rock bands that made music inaccessible to the non-musician. Punk brought music back down a level to make it more accessible. So pop and punk do go hand and hand when speaking musically.
That is very true and part of the reason pop punk became so big in the 90s and 00s. But a lot of those bands miss so much of the attitude and experimentation that many punk fans love. I was totally the guy that thought pop punk bands were posers back in highschool and luckily I'm past that but it's still frustrating talking about punk music with people and they associate what I love with Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 when it's more Dead Kennedys, Refused, Misfits etc

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
American Idiot and Dookie are some of the best albums ever made. Plus they recently changed their style quite a bit. Great band with actually cool left wing values. They're still relevant and politically engaged. The same naysayers here in this thread would flip out if a right winger band like 3 Doors Down would play. Just be fucking grateful once.

Also relevant:

No... I feel like people would be more upset about a band as bad as 3 Doors Down playing.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
You'll be less likely to play this game if Green Day has a song on one of the many radio stations??
Yes. Them spending whatever amount of money they need to get Green Day to make an original song for the game and play it at the game awards when they could have licensed a few dozen actually good songs from artists that actually encapsulate the spirit of cyberpunk does make me worry that the game might not be for me.

Music that actually is cyberpunk? You do realize theres PUNK in cyberpunk? Not just cybercyber
Punk isn't just punk music.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That is very true and part of the reason pop punk became so big in the 90s and 00s. But a lot of those bands miss so much of the attitude and experimentation that many punk fans love. I was totally the guy that thought pop punk bands were posers back in highschool and luckily I'm past that but it's still frustrating talking about punk music with people and they associate what I love with Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 when it's more Dead Kennedys, Refused, Misfits etc
Again just be grateful people are dabbing into that genre at all. No wonder metal or punk fades away, because their remaining fans are busy with gatekeeping, hating success and only liking "the rEaL" bands. You'd think these are the people who'd like to work for border patrol.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Them spending whatever amount of money they need to get Green Day to make an original song for the game and play it at the game awards when they could have licensed a few dozen actually good songs from artists that actually encapsulate the spirit of cyberpunk does make me worry that the game might not be for me.

Honestly tho, in general i feel like the marketing for the game has really emphasized a green day-ish aesthetic since the jump, that cyberpunk imaginings such as blade runner or shadowrun will exist mainly via homages or references in the context of this bright silicon valley apple corp campus style rendition (w seeeeeedy nighttime or whatever). The music choice theyve made for the trailers, etc.

But i wanna see where they end up i guess, even tho i prefer and relate to the more hazy noir style cyberpunk stuff

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I still like Green Day...their new song I heard yesterday is different at least but I am not crazy about it...I even liked their other named group The Longshot and that album...looking forward to see what they play.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sex Pistols are punk rock while Green Day are pop punk (and not far from emo pop).
If CD Project think a pop punk band is representative of the Cyperpunk world, good for them.
It's still Punk.
First, this is all speculation that Green Day is going to be contributing to the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack and we won't know for sure until tonight.

Secondly, you do realize that CD Projekt Red has a tremendously large budget in place for this game to fund the things that they feel that it needs. Getting other bands that you find more fitting to the genre will not be an issue - especially Synthwave and that sort because the amount of money they would ask to be included would be far less than an established, famous band.

Lastly, as I said previously, if you don't like that they have a song in the game, then when it comes on the radio if it's a station you like - then don't listen to it - either switch the radio off or change the station lol
Synthwave is my most anticipated radio station - bar none.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I went back and listened to the song in the deep dive video, it doesnt exactly sound like him to me, but the last thing I really listened to was 21st century breakdown. His voice mightve changed since then. Its definitely in the ball park, but i wouldnt put it together unless someone told me.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I went back and listened to the song in the deep dive video, it doesnt exactly sound like him to me, but the last thing I really listened to was 21st century breakdown. His voice mightve changed since then. Its definitely in the ball park, but i wouldnt put it together unless someone told me.
I agree, it's close enough to warrant the speculation; but it's definitely not a dead-ringer for Billy Joe Armstrong.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
People shitting on Green Day... Well, I don't quite like it.

People shitting on System of a Down... What the fuck?

People shitting on Refused (especially after the masterpiece they released last month, War Music)... Okay, let's put the thread on ignore before someone shits on Bad Religion and Propagandhi.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 pages and the video isn't linked? Here you go folks:

Doeesn't sound like Green Day to me, and its not the vocals that makes me thing that. Instrumentally it sounds too electronic (electronic drumkit in my GD song? no thanks!) for something like them to put out. Id be happy to be proven wrong though.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
3 pages and the video isn't linked? Here you go folks:

Doeesn't sound like Green Day to me, and its not the vocals that makes me thing that. Instrumentally it sounds too electronic (electronic drumkit in my GD song? no thanks!) for something like them to put out. Id be happy to be proven wrong though.

I figured everyone had seen it already, but I added it to the OP👍

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please have VGA spoiler threads start with "VGA SPOILERS" so that people don't have show spoiled? I hate how every E3 or VGA or whatever, 12 hours til show everybody's spoiling the event, like, Jesus Christ, it's less then 10 hours away....

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please have VGA spoiler threads start with "VGA SPOILERS" so that people don't have show spoiled? I hate how every E3 or VGA or whatever, 12 hours til show everybody's spoiling the event, like, Jesus Christ, it's less then 10 hours away....
green day performing isn't a spoiler and the performance being linked to cyberpunk is a theory

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
hopefully they also get linkin park and limp bizkit for that perfect cyberpunk atmosphere

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

shouldn't a cyberpunk game taking place in 2077 have cutting edge music? if you want to include punk music why would you choose some washed up pop punk band from 20 years ago? I mean I can hardly think of someone more unfitting for cyberpunk 2077 than Green Day

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
yeah, just get FM-84, Timecop1983, Carpenter Brut, Pertubator, Neoslave, The Algorithm, Electric Youth & Dance With The Dead on that soundtrack.
I actually had a nice chat with Dance With The Dead over Twitter PMs and they told me that they were not on the soundtrack and we're not even asked. I told them that was a travesty, especially considering that the name of the bar "Totentanz" in the game translates to "dance with the dead" and aside from that irony, I stated their sound and style was perfect for the game. I then suggested contacting CD Projekt Red to inquire about joining the project and they said that they would.

Hopefully all goes well and will hear some Dance With The Dead in Cyberpunk 2077 on April 16th, 2020🤘🏻

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
shouldn't a cyberpunk game taking place in 2077 have cutting edge music? if you want to include punk music why would you choose some washed up pop punk band from 20 years ago? I mean I can hardly think of someone more unfitting for cyberpunk 2077 than Green Day
I am sure theres gonna be more reveals along the way that will seem to people far more unifitting

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Oh yeah, Cyperpunk has the word punk in it so that makes green day totally fit so obvious.
No.
This is CD Projekt Red not EA. CDPR does not hot shot garbage into their games for click bait. Keanu is in there because he has a strong tie to the Cyberpunk genre through his career. This theory is absolute rubbish.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
At first I thought punk in the year 2077 would be forward thinking and not draw from a style that sounded stale and tired 20 years ago but then I remembered what a lot of punk music sounds like to this day, so maybe it's fitting afterall.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
hopefully they also get linkin park and limp bizkit for that perfect cyberpunk atmosphere
giphy.gif

Regardless how popular they are nowadays, they were very popular in the 90s - which the 80s and 90s are the retrofitted future that Cyberpunk is set in and to have a band like that create a brand new song for that world is something I am excited for - if it happens.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Green Day sucks but from what I heard some of the songs included are gonna be much better...