• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Banger?

• Go Go Power Rangers

Votes: 263 53.2%
  • I want to be the very best

Votes: 231 46.8%

• Total voters

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Fun fact: Ron Wasserman, the guy who wrote the Power Rangers theme song also wrote the X-Men theme song.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Fun fact: Ron Wasserman, the guy who wrote the Power Rangers theme song also wrote the X-Men theme song.
And has original music that is awesome as well.

He can play guitar, piano, drums and the clarinet.

He is part of the band Fisher which had a charting song called "I Will Love You" in 2000.

Also since we doing this anyways here is Pellek doing all Power Ranger themes in a medley up to Megaforce. Some how he actually makes the Operation Overdrive theme sound decent.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I voted for pokemon, but only because "Pokemon World" (Orange Islands) and "Pokemon Johto" (Johto Journeys) are better imo than the original theme (which is titled just "Pokemon Theme" btw)

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uff this is a tough one.

Both were a big part of my childhood, but I'm giving it to Pokemon by a slight margin.

Oct 25, 2017
Both themes are terrific. I think as far as the originals go, Pokemon has the better vocals, but Power Rangers has the more memorable riffs and guitar work. If we include the movie remixes for both themes, then Power Rangers handedly takes the lead.

As for which show has the best catalogue of theme songs overall, Power Rangers wins no question. Pokemon had some good followups (Johto especially), but aside from Mighty Morphin, there's the hype machines that are the theme songs for Zeo, In Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force just off the top of my head.

All in all, my vote goes to Power Rangers.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the guy who performed the Pokemon theme is a dumbass Ron Paul supporter so Power Rangers wins by default.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I like the Power Rangers theme better as a song, but the Pokémon theme just... hits harder. The imagery, the lyrics, the aspirational feeling to it all. I don't think it's just nostalgia. They did a really good job with that original theme. None of the remixes capture the right feeling.

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

rmLfCvv.jpg

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
These are shocking results. I loved both as a kid but I don't ever hear anyone breaking into "Go Go Power Rangers!" randomly like the Pokémon theme.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Pokémon is just a good karaoke/group song, but the Power Rangers theme actually gets me pumped.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutouts to Power Rangers Turbo. Seriously I still TO THIS DAY break out the "Gooooo" part at the end

youtu.be

Power Rangers Turbo Full Theme

No copyright infringement intended. I uploaded for fans who wanted to listen to this. This is for entertainment purposes only. Theme song is by Super Power. ...

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
Back when I was super in to Rock Band 10 plus years ago I would dream of both of these being DLC songs lol.

Anyway I gotta say Pokemon

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As an opening titles theme, I think Pokémon is better in that role.

But the MMPR theme is like the TMNT theme in that it doubles as a battle theme, and usually reserved for when shit gets awesome. I'd probably give it to MMPR for that reason (and TMNT above that since it's great in both roles).

Oct 28, 2017
Even tho it was earnest, I feel like the Pokémon theme (and much of the love for it) almost has too much of an ironic/meme-able 80s vibe to it. Like it would have been in a Karate Kid montage and then parodied into the ground.

The original Power Rangers theme meanwhile (and several subsequent ones, especially In Space) is hype enough to make you feel like you could run thru a brick wall.

PR all day.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
SUPER SUPER CLOSE. Damn, closer than I would have thought had the question not been presented as a battle.

Nevertheless....I KNOW IT'S MY DESTINYYYYY!

sthef360 called it earnest above. I agree and that's kind of what I like about it. Very inspirational for a young kid which is who these songs are for.

Bonus Pokemon jam:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of power rangers is the guitar rift at the beginning, its awesome, but the rest of the song never really did anything for me.

The pokemon theme is good all the way.

Man, i do love this one.
Also just imagine if the hole show was animated like this.
The first season was created as a movie and actually feature animation style and quality that's very close. Everything after that though. Super low budget. Would have been amazing if they had kept up the quality from season 1.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Well only one song is in the yearly dutch Top 2000 so I vote Gotta catch them all(Pokemon Theme)

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Power Rangers has that awesome guitar, but it's braindead lyrically, so I'll give the edge to Pokemon. Say what you will of 4kids, but they knew how to make intros.