• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Ok, but you can if you own the physical PS4 version, correct?

So my question is how is that on Activision? What are they doing that allows me to upgrade my physical PS4 deluxe version for free but not my physical Xbox version?

I see a lot of people saying "Activision," and I'm wondering what is the justification for that? Because if you tell me they just hate the Xbox I'm calling bullshit. So there's gotta be a reason why it's like that.
It's on Activision because they're being shitheads and not supporting free upgrades like everyone else. This issue only affects 2 games as far as I know, both Activision. For whatever reason Microsoft's system doesn't support using a disc from one title to be used as the license key for another title. And they probably don't want to overhaul that for 2 games.

Microsoft has gone out of their way to make the cross gen transition as painless as possible. They didn't anticipate the lengths Activision would go for an extra $10. I think the trade off for how smart delivery has worked for everything but these 2 games was worth it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There is, if you bought the physical collectors edition with the skateboard. You got the game and a dlc code for the digital deluxe content.
Oh, you're right. That sucks for the people that bought the Collector's on Xbox, but it still wouldn't be an issue if Activision had just supported Smart Delivery instead of charging for it.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Oh, you're right. That sucks for the people that bought the Collector's on Xbox, but it still wouldn't be an issue if Activision had just supported Smart Delivery instead of charging for it.
The biggest problem is in the FAQ it mentions the physical collectors edition for the PS4 upgrading to PS5 section. However there's no mention of it at all when it comes to going from Xbox One to Series X|S. So the dozens of us who bought the collectors edition for the Xbox have no clue if we're getting it or not since we already have the digital deluxe content.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I still don't get why, after what they did with Crash 4, they decided to gatekeep standard version owners of this game from the free upgrade. Feels like that would've avoided this mess, but Kotick can't have his huge bonuses by giving more stuff away for free I guess.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's on Activision because they're being shitheads and not supporting free upgrades like everyone else. This issue only affects 2 games as far as I know, both Activision. For whatever reason Microsoft's system doesn't support using a disc from one title to be used as the license key for another title. And they probably don't want to overhaul that for 2 games.

Microsoft has gone out of their way to make the cross gen transition as painless as possible. They didn't anticipate the lengths Activision would go for an extra $10. I think the trade off for how smart delivery has worked for everything but these 2 games was worth it.

I get what you're saying, but that's still no justification for "Activision sucks" in this situation. You say "They didn't anticipate the lengths Activision would go for an extra $10," except Activision is offering free upgrades to those who own the deluxe version. As you yourself just said, Microsoft's system won't allow them to do that for the Xbox, otherwise they would.

OP
OP

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018

This is probably the answer!

But it doesn't really add up. What is stopping the $10 DLC that upgrades you to the Cross-Gen Bundle from working with the disc file? Aren't the disc and digital versions all the same thing on Xbox?

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
There are more than a few publishers doing this on Xbox. 2K, Activision and Sony with MLB The Show. Very annoying.

But, the Xbox One version will work just fine so you won't exactly have to buy the game again.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Upgrade fees will always be lame. I'll keep playing the last gen versions with the load time boosts. Lol.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the answer!

But it doesn't really add up. What is stopping the $10 DLC that upgrades you to the Cross-Gen Bundle from working with the disc file? Aren't the disc and digital versions all the same thing on Xbox?
They are only the same thing if they go through smart delivery otherwise they are treated as separate games

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
There are more than a few publishers doing this on Xbox. 2K, Activision and Sony with MLB The Show. Very annoying.
MLB The Show '21 is the same on PlayStation and Xbox. There are separate PS4 and Xbox (non-Series) versions of the game which do not support upgrading to the next gen versions as far as I'm aware, or you can get Jackie Robinson edition (physical or digital) which includes the next gen PS5 or Xbox Series version.

They are only the same thing if they go through smart delivery otherwise they are treated as separate games
I don't believe that was the question. On Xbox, the physical and digital versions of games are treated as the same game/SKU. So I would agree, if you have digital deluxe add-on on your account on Xbox, I'm not sure why you couldn't play the next gen version provided the disc was used.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I don't play this game, but who ever is to blame, it sucks. Next gen updates should be free.

When you see that some devs are giving free next gen updates to games that came out up to 6 years ago, there's no excuse for recent titles like this.

OP
OP

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I'm talking about all Xbox games, going back to 2013. On PS4, the version of a game you install from a disc is different to the version you can get from the store.

But on Xbox, you can install a game from the disc and play the same install without the disc if you later buy it digitally, or your friend who has it signs in, or it comes to Game Pass etc.

So the version of Xbox One Tony Hawk from the disc should be identical to the digital version. Then you buy the upgrade that gives you the X/S copy.

Maybe that's not feasible, perhaps you can't upgrade to a bundle if you don't own the base game digitally, that makes sense...

They could have offered a store discount to people who have the game on their gamertag with X hours played.

There aren't really any technical hurdles to this, it's just either Activision or Microsoft being stubborn.

I don't believe that was the question. On Xbox, the physical and digital versions of games are treated as the same game/SKU. So I would agree, if you have digital deluxe add-on on your account on Xbox, I'm not sure why you couldn't play the next gen version provided the disc was used.
Yeah this is what I meant.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If that's true, it's gonna hit me, and is super frustrating as a buyer. Like, that's gonna be "kaputski" on stuff published by Activision for the foreseeable future.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So then the only Xbox users getting an upgrade are Deluxe Digital owners? Not even standard digital gets an upgrade option?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
MLB The Show '21 is the same on PlayStation and Xbox. There are separate PS4 and Xbox (non-Series) versions of the game which do not support upgrading to the next gen versions as far as I'm aware, or you can get Jackie Robinson edition (physical or digital) which includes the next gen PS5 or Xbox Series version.
Yeah and the next gen version is $70 too. Bunch of bullshit.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Which is the issue because those of us who bought the $100 collectors edition for the Xbox which came with the game and the digital deluxe add on aren't getting the next gen upgrade. Meanwhile if you bought the same $100 collectors edition for the PS4, you are getting the upgrade. Those of us who bought the Xbox version are being told to fuck off and buy the game again for $50 on top of the $100 collectors edition that we already purchased.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah and the next gen version is $70 too. Bunch of bullshit.
Well that is another topic, but yes the next gen "tax" does suck. I'm getting the Jackie Robinson edition though so I guess it is a moot point for me.

Which is the issue because those of us who bought the $100 collectors edition for the Xbox which came with the game and the digital deluxe add on aren't getting the next gen upgrade. Meanwhile if you bought the same $100 collectors edition for the PS4, you are getting the upgrade. Those of us who bought the Xbox version are being told to fuck off and buy the game again for $50 on top of the $100 collectors edition that we already purchased.
Agreed, it does suck if you are blocked from the upgrade on Xbox. I was trying to find comparable situations and I believe the sticking point is that Xbox (apparently) does not allow a paid upgrade for a disc version, but does allow free upgrades or upgrades from digital versions. I'm not sure if the digital/physical differences are technical based on how licenses work or simply a policy decision though. The "solution" for other games seems to provide a digital license for the other version of the physical game you purchase, provided you buy the correct "deluxe" edition, but I guess this was not provided for THPS when it came out. I wonder if there is something they could do retroactively however.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Me right now:

hqdefault.jpg

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
User Threadbanned: Needless Pedantry over a Series of Posts

Exactly, but it is not Activision's fault, as they gave PS4 users the upgrade for free. I'm 100% sure they would have done the same for the Xbox users but Microsoft's system must not allow it. Yet somehow this thread turned into, "Fuck Activision."

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Exactly, but it is not Activision's fault, as they gave PS4 users the upgrade for free. I'm 100% sure they would have done the same for the Xbox users but Microsoft's system must not allow it. Yet somehow this thread turned into, "Fuck Activision."
I'd say fuck both really. Acitivison had no problem giving Crash 4 users a free next gen upgrade. But Microsoft is also arbitrarily blocking those of us who do "meet" the criteria that Activision laid out to get the free next gen version. I know that I'm in the minority since it was a limited collectors edition, but getting screwed over like that absolutely sucks.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

The planning/decision here is utterly down to Activision, hence the blame. This is happening because Activision is charging for a patch. "Fuck both" I could theoretically understand, but this wasn't some surprise that Activision encountered; They knew at the outset this would be the result, and went with this because they wanted to charge for the patch. It's pure deflection if you're just putting this on the platform rather than the publisher.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

its still "fuck Activision" cause they decided to charge people $10 for a patch.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring; History of the Same

You haven't figured out nothing is ever on MS. Even them doubling the price of Live gold was embraced simultaneously as a smart move and one that Phil Spencer had absolutely no idea about.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you bought the physical deluxe edition on XBOX you are screwed?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I see you're doubling down on platform war deflection then.

The literal thread title is People who bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on disc for Xbox One will have to buy again for next-gen. I am doubling down on anyone blaming Activision for that when you don't have to do that on PS5 as a physical deluxe owner. Unless you believe Activision is taking it upon themselves to punish Xbox users. In which case who's doing the real platform warring here?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you bought the physical deluxe edition on XBOX you are screwed?

I don't believe a physical deluxe version exists on either platform. There's the normal disc version and a digital deluxe version.

You can get the deluxe content via a code with some crazy expensive collectors edition but it's still the standard edition disc in the box.

For all intents and purposes there is the disc version which PS5 users can pay $10 to upgrade but Xbox users can't.

And then there's the digital deluxe version which does get a free upgrade on both platforms. And the normal digital version that doesn't get the free upgrade on either platform. I don't know if Xbox users will be able to pay to upgrade that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS standing by their guns and not allowing pubs to abuse their upgrade mechanism is a good thing. It singles out those that want to charge for upgrades.

Activision and some EA titles opted out of SD to push the idea of versions which allows them to resell upgrades like this. SD is probably frowned upon by them. They (Activision) can go to hell :)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe a physical deluxe version exists on either platform. There's the normal disc version and a digital deluxe version.

You can get the deluxe content via a code with some crazy expensive collectors edition but it's still the standard edition disc in the box.

I could swear there was a third physical edition, my bad.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
MS standing by their guns and not allowing pubs to abuse their upgrade mechanism is a good thing. It singles out those that want to charge for upgrades.

Activision and some EA titles opted out of SD to push the idea of versions which allows them to resell upgrades like this. SD is probably frowned upon by them. They can go to hell :).

Particularly on Xbox you can get frame rate and Rez bumps for free if they are uncapped.

Activism on is literally charging to uncap the frame rate and add a dynamic Rez smh.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The literal thread title is People who bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on disc for Xbox One will have to buy again for next-gen. I am doubling down on anyone blaming Activision for that when you don't have to do that on PS5 as a physical deluxe owner. Unless you believe Activision is taking it upon themselves to punish Xbox users. In which case who's doing the real platform warring here?

I'm saying two things:

1.) Charging for a patch is frustrating for buyers.
2.) A decision to charge for a patch in an environment where it's not allowed on at least one major platform, and goes against a defacto norm for next-gen upgrades across the industry, is also frustrating for buyers.

Looking at 1 and 2, my conclusion is not "I am frustrated with the platform that doesn't allow it." My frustration is the publisher that wants to do 1 so much, that it ignores consequences of 2 that only effects buyers. Ignoring the publisher who has the decisionmaking and planning power in this situation is where I'm calling you out. The second half of my original post you quoted made this clear.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018

For all intents and purposes there is the disc version which PS5 users can pay $10 to upgrade but Xbox users can't.

And then there's the digital deluxe version which does get a free upgrade on both platforms. And the normal digital version that doesn't get the free upgrade on either platform. I don't know if Xbox users will be able to pay to upgrade that.
There is a physical deluxe version, it was only available for the $100 skateboard collectors edition bundle. For the Xbox version the deluxe content was a dlc code that came inside the game case. The problem is that if you bought this version for the PS4 you get the PS5 version for free. If you bought the Xbox version like me Activison doesn't even mention it in the official FAQ, so we're to assume we have to buy the game again.

Edit: It seems our definitions of what is a deluxe content version isn't the same, my mistake. But unless I'm wrong Activision see's it as such hence the free PS4 upgrade if you own the collectors edition. Like there was no way for me to even buy the deluxe content on the Xbox because I redeemed the code and it was the same SKU.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The licensing contract for the music probably has additional costs involved in getting it to another platform.